• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 superdog

superdog
  • Members
  • 951 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 05:10 PM

Dear All,
I came across this blog about a gentleman name Kevin Tran that owns a restaurant in Atlanta, GA named RiceSticks. The blog details how he did the research on location, start up capital, build out, his experience about running a restaurant - how some customers drove him nuts, how he feels when business is slow, how he came up with new menu item, how he marketed his restaurant....I personally went thru a lot of Mr. Tran went thru running a restaurant/business. More importantly, how he came to the conclusion about closing the restaurant, and the last days of RiceSticks. I have not yet finished the entire blog, and really enjoyed Mr. Tran's candidness about his state of mind, and the status of RiceSticks. I've know some restaurant owner will just tell you everything is great, while they are putting more $$$ into the business then getting out. I personally feel there is a lot I can learn from Mr. Tran and his blog. This is intend to share with anyone whom is interested, particularly interested in opening a restaurant. Please let me know if it is not appropriate to post a link to a blog in this message group.

http://www.atlantacu...um=1103730028/0

Thanks and best regards,
Ellen @ SuperDog
Ellen @ SuperDog
superdogpdx@gmail.com

#2 vj

vj
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 05:19 AM

This is great, Ellen, thanks for posting it! vj

#3 BaconLuv

BaconLuv
  • Members
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:bacon, comfort food, vintage cocktails, karaoke

Posted 16 March 2007 - 05:39 PM

This reminds me of that show Opening Soon on Fine Living network. It's always interesting to see them start up and then crash and burn.

#4 superdog

superdog
  • Members
  • 951 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 10:12 PM

Thanks VJ and BaconLuv!

Deal All,

This in particular put me into tears:

Subject #1: the beauty of love
OK, y'all might accuse me of being sappy but I've been called worse before.

A couple nights ago, we had a cute old couple dine early at the restaurant. They were the first and only ones in at the time, which really turned out to be a blessing. They sat at the table and ordered some apps and entrees to follow. In the middle of their appetizers, the server comes into the kitchen and says, "Kevin, you need to come out here." She said it calmly so I didn't think anything of it.

So as I step out into the dining room, I see no one at the tables. Turns out, the older lady was sprawled out on the floor and under the table. Her husband on one knee, holding her hand and gently stroking her hair. "Don't worry. This happens all the time." Evidently, she has passed out but I didn't inquire about what condition caused it. "She just needs about 10-15 minutes and she'll be fine," he continued.

Needless to say, we were all concerned but all remained calm. No ambulance was called. And after 10 minutes, sure enough, the lady started to regain consciousness.

As I stood and watched, I couldn't help but notice the love this fragile 70-something year old man had for his evermore fragile wife. The softness is his voice as he coaxed her back into reality... the kindness in his touch as he helped her back into her chair...It was all so touching the way he handled her condition.

"How many times does he go through this?" my mind wandered.

Somehow, I know, to him, it doesn't matter

Happy St. Paddy's day!

Cheers,
Ellen @ SuperDog
Ellen @ SuperDog
superdogpdx@gmail.com

#5 riverinn

riverinn
  • Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 10:36 AM

As a restaurant owner, I know it's moments like that that make me strive to make every moment perfect for people. When you get to be a part of people's engagements, weddings, 1st anniversaries and 65th anniversaries, and all the other triumphs along the way, It makes you proud to be a part of their celebration of life.