Lucier - CLOSED

• Please log in to reply
679 replies to this topic

#41 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:21 AM

Have you eaten at Fenouil? Or are you going by what someone else says?

#42 whippy

whippy
  • Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:08 AM

I don't give a crap about their website--and won't infer anything from it. Too easy a shot.

Eat the food, then rip away if you want. They don't call it "tasting and judgment" on Iron Chef for nothing

Allez cuisine!

--mcz

Well, you're one step above the owners of Lucier themselves then, who want you to infer all sorts of things from their website. Your Iron Chef ethic is noble. But restaurants don't just serve food, you know.

-

Reading over PFO's Fenouil thread is another possibly dubious way of peeking at Lucier. There's a minimum of excitement there, but mostly a pleasant drone in spite of the gaffs mentioned. It'll breed interest, but it's hardly inspiring. (Which matches my own experience there.)
I love how yummy food makes me feel happy!!!!!!

#43 Laksa

Laksa
  • Members
  • 789 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:28 AM

I went down to the waterfront to see what the building looks like. I like it a lot--dramatic, airy, clean. I'd guess that what the location lacks in convenience is more than made up for by view and the pleasant surroundings.

Time for laksa crow? A little. I could see Lucier spot-welding Fenwee's food to Spag Factory's capacity. That would be achievable, and it would create an institution where Portlanders could entertain visitors and the in-flight-magazine-reading expense account crowd could name-check. I don't necessarily think that the food will have to be consistently brilliant, after all nobody accuses Fenwee of that yet they appear to do just fine. Location, location, location.

Having said all that, will I shift my allegiance one millimeter away from the small restaurants and shops which make Portland the great food town it already is? Put a big negatory on that good buddy. Will I continue to dis the big operators with zero concrete information to back me up, just because they are big? I truly hope so.

#44 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:35 AM

I never thought Fenouil was anything but good. Seems pretty nice to me and the food and service I had when I went there was terrifc. I haven't been there often enough to have observed the inconsistencies others have, but off my personal experience I think they can achieve upscale if they are willing to put forth the effort required. Minor details may be key.

Best regards,

Amanda

#45 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:45 AM

Having said all that, will I shift my allegiance one millimeter away from the small restaurants and shops which make Portland the great food town it already is?

I certainly wouldn't trade the Biwas and Apizza Schollsesses of the world for something like Lucier, that's for sure.

#46 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 05 May 2008 - 10:39 AM

Having said all that, will I shift my allegiance one millimeter away from the small restaurants and shops which make Portland the great food town it already is? Put a big negatory on that good buddy. Will I continue to dis the big operators with zero concrete information to back me up, just because they are big? I truly hope so.

I didn't realize this was the "Where in the world will Laksa eat?" thread. If I had known that, I would have changed my argument. :lol:

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#47 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 10:39 AM

Thing is, we can have both, there is no reason anyone would have to make that choice. It's actually kind of silly to even suggest it.

#48 SauceSupreme

SauceSupreme
  • Members
  • 991 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:39 AM

Going out to a neighborhood joint is like hanging out with your buddies: you know what you're getting, it's reliable, stress-free, and you're almost always guaranteed a good time.

Going out to a fine-dining restaurant is like being in a relationship: it can be frustrating, you can't help but compare your current experience with ones in the past, you often question if it's worth it, but when it hits, it hits with thunderous power: it's all consuming, you think about it for days afterwards, you brag about it to your friends, and you crave it. In your head, there are memories stirred that you can never quite put into words. And when it's gone, you miss it. You try your best to recall the details, how every sense you had was on fire for one magic night.

When beauty enters the room, I don't think about my past heartbreak. I'm old fashioned, I guess; I don't keep bank statements, only love letters.

So when Lucier walks in, my game plan is take it easy. Play it cool. Introduce myself. See if sparks fly right off the bat. (In many things, I believe in love at first bite.) If it doesn't work out, that's fine. I'll go back to the arms of comfortable neighborhood joints and relate the story of me flirting with a stranger. We'll have a laugh and a beer, and enjoy each others' good company.

But if it does work out...
"I'll settle for a cup of coffee, but you know what I really need." - REM

"Peel all of your layers off, I want to eat your artichoke heart." - Thom Yorke

http://lushangeles.com

#49 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:49 AM

Very eloquent, SS...though I don't think anybody now wants to introduce you to their sister.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#50 Laksa

Laksa
  • Members
  • 789 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:15 PM

I didn't realize this was the "Where in the world will Laksa eat?" thread. If I had known that, I would have changed my argument. :lol:

OUCH!

#51 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:58 PM

Going out to a neighborhood joint is like hanging out with your buddies: you know what you're getting, it's reliable, stress-free, and you're almost always guaranteed a good time.

Going out to a fine-dining restaurant is like being in a relationship: it can be frustrating, you can't help but compare your current experience with ones in the past, you often question if it's worth it, but when it hits, it hits with thunderous power: it's all consuming, you think about it for days afterwards, you brag about it to your friends, and you crave it. In your head, there are memories stirred that you can never quite put into words. And when it's gone, you miss it. You try your best to recall the details, how every sense you had was on fire for one magic night.

When beauty enters the room, I don't think about my past heartbreak. I'm old fashioned, I guess; I don't keep bank statements, only love letters.

So when Lucier walks in, my game plan is take it easy. Play it cool. Introduce myself. See if sparks fly right off the bat. (In many things, I believe in love at first bite.) If it doesn't work out, that's fine. I'll go back to the arms of comfortable neighborhood joints and relate the story of me flirting with a stranger. We'll have a laugh and a beer, and enjoy each others' good company.

But if it does work out...

I feel funny...
signature

#52 Poodle_head

Poodle_head
  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 05:11 PM

FYI - in case anyone is interested. I was making a reservation via opentable.com and noticed, Lucier is taking reservations already. Went ahead and booked a table. Cross fingers it's good!

#53 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 05 May 2008 - 06:49 PM

It's probably just me, but every time I see the name "Lucier", whether in this thread or elsewhere, I immediately think I'm seeing "Lucifer", which occurs to me is a much more interesting name. I'm not sure if I'll go to "Lucier", but if anybody opens a place called "Lucifer", I would be very prepared to waste a meal at such an establishment, especially if the servers were comically dressed like Anton LaVey and Slayer's Season in the Abyss served as background noise and the special every day was shrimp fra diavolo.

I have nothing to add.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#54 Guest_MostlyRunning_*

Guest_MostlyRunning_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2008 - 06:51 PM

I just deleted an posted post on the "next hot shit" thread where I wrote Lucifer instead of Lucier three times. I think that the term for a written Freudian slip is lapsus calumni.

Anyway, how about a meet up at the Devil's Point?

Nothing to add.

#55 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 05 May 2008 - 07:05 PM

Please pardon my ignorance, as you all so often have to do in my case, but does the word "Lucier" without the "F" mean anything in any other language? Sure as hell means nothing to me in English, except "Big restaurant trying to be the next big thing in Portland!" And wasn't there a restaurant with a similar name in the Riverplace Hotel at one time?

I've probably got my t's dotted and my i's crossed instead of vice versa in this case. Please feel free to correct and update accordingly. I still wish them success, but unlike Poodlehead, you won't see my name on the reservation list anytime soon. Especially if cocktail attired is the norm. My fleece overalls won't quite fit in.

Best regards,

Amanda

#56 LadyConcierge

LadyConcierge

Food is good

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 07:23 PM

Well, Lucier is French, and usually a last name. I couldn't find any literal meaning for it. There's some famous guy named Alvin Lucier.

And you are right, the restaurant at the Riverplace was Lucere. Chef was Pascal Sauton, who went on to open Carafe.

#57 Pearsonownz

Pearsonownz
  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 05:18 PM

Well, I just reserved a 7PM reservation for opening night. I am such a rebel.

To settle all the non sense, I will provide a full review. However, I think I am way too easily impressed. I about fell out of my chair the first time I visited Fenouil.

#58 Epicurious

Epicurious
  • Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:22 PM

When is opening night? Does it follow a soft opening?

#59 bouche

bouche
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:47 PM

This is where the name came from in case anybody is interested...
And It is pronounced Lucy A

"Étienne Lucier (1793-1853) was a fur trader in what is now the Pacific Northwest. He was one of two French Canadians to vote for the creation of a government for that region. Moving to the Pacific Northwest originally to help establish Fort Astoria, he would later become the first farmer in what would become the state of Oregon." -From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes the restaurant will have 3 soft openings. And then will be open to the public on Monday May 26th! I've been inside the restaurant it's absolutly breath taking!

#60 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 08 May 2008 - 08:03 PM

This is where the name came from in case anybody is interested...
And It is pronounced Lucy A

"Étienne Lucier (1793-1853) was a fur trader in what is now the Pacific Northwest. He was one of two French Canadians to vote for the creation of a government for that region. Moving to the Pacific Northwest originally to help establish Fort Astoria, he would later become the first farmer in what would become the state of Oregon." -From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes the restaurant will have 3 soft openings. And then will be open to the public on Monday May 26th! I've been inside the restaurant it's absolutly breath taking!

Thanks, bouche, and Welcome to the site!

Please keep us updated as things progress.
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me