Tortilleria y Tienda de Leon

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 austinhaas

austinhaas
  • Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:33 PM

My wife and I ate there today. Everything was fantastic. We had the cochinitas, pork & nopales, a chile relleno, and a cantaloup drink (which was excellent for cutting the spiciness of the food).

What I'd like to add to the thread, though, is how incredibly friendly the women working there were. I was offered a taste of anything I even glanced at, plus other stuff that they just thought I should try, and then several recommendations of what I should try next time I stop in. It was very welcoming and I look forward to going back and inquiring about the other dozen things that I didn't recognize.

#22 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:34 PM

What I'd like to add to the thread, though, is how incredibly friendly the women working there were. I was offered a taste of anything I even glanced at, plus other stuff that they just thought I should try, and then several recommendations of what I should try next time I stop in. It was very welcoming and I look forward to going back and inquiring about the other dozen things that I didn't recognize.

Those women are super friendly. We had some friends visiting from Mexico and they were over the moon about getting food like what they have in their home country, and they ended up making friends with the ladies behind the counter, who stayed open after closing time to chat about "things back home." Love this place.

Adam Lindsley

This Is Pizza

#23 jmatt

jmatt
  • Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:05 PM

Absolutely love this place--go there a lot and great you had a good meal there---always get some chicharrones to munch on and a horchata to share with my daughter on the way home.

If you haven't been there, the Grower's Outlet across the street is a really good store. We shop there a lot and buy a lot of produce & nuts & things there.

#24 Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
  • Members
  • 1,854 posts
  • Interests:You live to serve this ship<br />So serve well, and live<br />-Ben Hur

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:05 AM

The $10.99 take out deal is amongst the best in town: 1# of carnitas, 3 tortillas & a container of salsa (there are like 6 salsa options to choose from).
Great little place.
Methinks I am like a man, who having struck on many shoals, and having narrowly escap'd shipwreck in passing a small frith, has yet the temerity to put out to sea in the same leaky weather-beaten vessel, and even carries his ambition so far as to think of compassing the globe under these disadvantageous circumstances-Hume

#25 sfspanky

sfspanky
  • Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:31 AM

The $10.99 take out deal is amongst the best in town: 1# of carnitas, 3 tortillas & a container of salsa (there are like 6 salsa options to choose from).
Great little place.

I remember when it was $9.99 for a # of carnitas, tortillas a and a six pack of Cornona. Times... they are a changin'
Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

#26 Egads

Egads
  • Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:17 AM

FWIW, Google Offers has a $5 for $10 worth of food deal with Tortilleria y Tienda de Leon today. http://bit.ly/xyK5nx

#27 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:13 PM

I remember when it was $9.99 for a # of carnitas, tortillas a and a six pack of Cornona. Times... they are a changin'

Yeah...I remember when it was $.65 for 2 slices and a Coke! :P
signature

#28 Neven

Neven
  • Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:34 PM

Prompted by the great reviews here, I stopped by today on my way to the airport. Surprisingly large selection of food, embarrassingly low prices. (As in, I'm embarrassed to walk out having paid $3 for a big meal.)

While everyone was extremely friendly and helpful, I was seriously handicapped by the fact that I don't speak a word of Spanish; I managed to convey that I'd like a plate of chicken tamales, and I got exactly that, and it was just wonderful. I sure wish I knew enough to explore the menu a bit better, though. will have to come back with my wife and have her order.

#29 austinhaas

austinhaas
  • Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:14 PM

I was seriously handicapped by the fact that I don't speak a word of Spanish

I've been twice. The first time, there was a woman there who spoke fluent English and she couldn't have been more helpful explaining everything and making all kinds of suggestions and telling me to try this and that. It was ideal. The second time I went, the woman helping me barely spoke English at all and I had a somewhat difficult time communicating that I wanted two pork tamales and two chicken tamales. I also asked what type of peppers were in one of the containers and I think the answer was, "Yes, peppers." So, I knew that visit wasn't going to be quite the educational experience.

#30 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:53 PM

The two daughters of the owners, Lucy and Leo speak perfect English. They grew up in Texas, I believe. The mom speaks good English as well. The dad can speak English, but rarely does, I think. The ladies behind the counter are hit and miss and definitely more Spanish speakers than English speakers. It's always more effective for me to order from them in my weak-ass Spanish than English. But you can always point.

If anyone ever wants to meet up there or any of the other eastside Mexican joints on a Sunday or Monday, I can do so, and walk you through the menus/options.

The dad, btw, makes a large number of the dishes early, early in the morning and some of the ladies behind the counter may not do much prep and may not really know what's in them. They're pretty northern-influenced, though, and most of them will have guajillos, anchos, and chiles de arbol. You'll rarely get a chipotle. They do have some ladies working for them now which have added things like the banana leaf tamales to the menu. It's hard to go wrong, but the musts, imo, are the beans, the tamales, the carnitas, the cochinita (koh-chee-NEE-tah), and the birria (bee-RRRREE-ah). Salsa are also excellent.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#31 sfspanky

sfspanky
  • Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:30 AM

It's hard to go wrong, but the musts, imo, are the beans, the tamales, the carnitas, the cochinita (koh-chee-NEE-tah), and the birria (bee-RRRREE-ah). Salsa are also excellent.

Yep! I'd also like to add the puerco con nopales to that list.
Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

#32 BigDaddy

BigDaddy
  • Members
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:Poker, reading, disability rights, nonalcoholic beverages, longtime friend of Bill W.

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:57 AM

Their lengua kills. I always get the black beans, not the refried.

Edited to correct lack of personal pronoun from my overeducated phone. I just have a huge preference for black beans over refried, and their black beans are amazingly good. Their food is universally good.

#33 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:17 AM

Always get the black beans, not the refried.

I think both are fantastic. I usually alternate between the two styles from one visit to the next.

Adam Lindsley

This Is Pizza

#34 Nacho_B

Nacho_B
  • Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:42 PM

While everyone was extremely friendly and helpful, I was seriously handicapped by the fact that I don't speak a word of Spanish...

Hola,

If you actually want to do something about that (and I highly recommend doing something about that), this is all you need to get started in this town:
http://www.pcc.edu/programs/spanish/

PCC is one of the best things about Portland (in my experience), and I have yet to find a better educational value per credit hour anywhere. The quality of instruction and the student/teacher ratios are world class. I am a huge fan of PCC, and have for years been talking about getting a full back tattoo of the PCC panther mascot with a bottom rocker that reads "alma mater".

If you don't have the time or inclination to take credit classes, they have a bunch of non-credit language classes too:
http://www.pcc.edu/s...e=Non-Credit#SP

It's great stuff, and (like all things in life worth doing) it just keeps getting better the further you go. It's fun too. In today's day and age, there's no reason to limit oneself to a single language. Spanish is a good one both here and while traveling abroad, and it's a fun language to learn and speak.

PCC can teach you Spanish if you want it.

¡Buena suerte!

#35 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:59 PM

I think PCC should buy you that tattoo and put it on their homepage based on your testimonial.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#36 jmatt

jmatt
  • Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:00 PM

While everyone was extremely friendly and helpful, I was seriously handicapped by the fact that I don't speak a word of Spanish...

Hola,

If you actually want to do something about that (and I highly recommend doing something about that), this is all you need to get started in this town:
http://www.pcc.edu/programs/spanish/

PCC is one of the best things about Portland (in my experience), and I have yet to find a better educational value per credit hour anywhere. The quality of instruction and the student/teacher ratios are world class. I am a huge fan of PCC, and have for years been talking about getting a full back tattoo of the PCC panther mascot with a bottom rocker that reads "alma mater".

If you don't have the time or inclination to take credit classes, they have a bunch of non-credit language classes too:
http://www.pcc.edu/s...e=Non-Credit#SP

It's great stuff, and (like all things in life worth doing) it just keeps getting better the further you go. It's fun too. In today's day and age, there's no reason to limit oneself to a single language. Spanish is a good one both here and while traveling abroad, and it's a fun language to learn and speak.

PCC can teach you Spanish if you want it.

¡Buena suerte!

For anyone interested, I have a few Mexican friends I go to school with at Concordia who, in addition to being great guys, teach private Spanish lessons. If anyone's interested, PM me and I'll give you their info.

#37 superdog

superdog
  • Members
  • 951 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:47 PM

Just had lunch there today. This place is so awesome! Three tacos, one Tamale 2 drinks for $8.50. Tons and tons of meat in their tacos. They sell their meat by the pound, it will be my goto place if I want to have a party at home but don't want to sling dogs. So full now....
Ellen @ SuperDog
superdogpdx@gmail.com

#38 Prone to Hyperbole

Prone to Hyperbole
  • Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:52 PM

Just had lunch there today. This place is so awesome! Three tacos, one Tamale 2 drinks for $8.50. Tons and tons of meat in their tacos. They sell their meat by the pound, it will be my goto place if I want to have a party at home but don't want to sling dogs. So full now....

Never left there able to walk. So many stellar choices! So cheap!! And really gracious service. Make sure to always hit the giant igloo containers for steaming fresh tortillas to go.
breakin' the law, breakin' the law!

#39 WAfoodie

WAfoodie
  • Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:07 AM

In their weekly flyer today, New Seasons carries the de Leon tamales. They also carry it at the Fisher's Landing location (before the closest location to me was the New Seasons at Grant Park).

Choose from Pork with Chile Rojo sauce or their New Seasons Market exclusive, Jalapeno Corn, that I enjoyed very much also. They are a quick and easy meal for $3.99 each.