Tortilleria y Tienda de Leon

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 phohawk

phohawk
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 06:28 PM

Good news. The Tortilleria & Tienda de Leon on NE 162nd & Glisan is now open until 9 pm. Picked up a 1/4 lb of 3 delicious stews -- pork in green sauce (my favorite), pork in smoky red sauce, and chicken in in a slightly spicy broth. Added some beans & rice, 2 excellent tamales, 36 warm corn tortillas, and 2 delicious homemade salsas, for a total of $20. It's well worth the drive, and the food travels and reheats very well.

#2 sfspanky

sfspanky
  • Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 06:49 PM

God, I love that place! It is good to know that not only is it open unitl 9pm, but that you found tamales after 1pm, which is rare. I wonder if they are now making more?
Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

#3 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:20 PM

This place is just a short Max or bike ride from where I live, and if I hop in my car it's not even 5 minutes away.

I tend to go there only for Horchata and tortillas in the summer, and on occasion when a pinata is necessary for some kid-centric function, but I really need to go there a lot more often. I frequent the produce store (Growers Outlet) across the street from it pretty consistently, so I ought to automatically make de Leon a part of my shopping adventure when I'm over that way. Seems like I'm missing an opportunity by blowing it off so frequently. What a dork I am.

Best regards,

Amanda

#4 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 11 February 2007 - 08:00 PM

That is good to know. I think they were always open latish, but cleaned up the deli part about 5pm. I'll now have it as an option when I drive home from The Dalles.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#5 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:00 PM

Do you know if they carry prepared masa for tamales. By prepared I mean ready to make...lard whipped up and all? I used to be able to buy it in Southern California many places but haven't found a connection here!

#6 ZenBoy

ZenBoy
  • Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:00 PM

Last time I was in there, they had a sign on the fridge for prepared masa by the pound.

#7 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:26 PM

A lot of Latin markets have masa para tamales fully mixed in the freezer section, too, and it's usually better quality. Su Casa used to carry it intermittently. Becerra's also carried it. Not sure who has it. It was too much for me to buy at once.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#8 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:37 PM

Becerra's used to carry prepared masa for tortillas (different than for tamales) thats masa with water...for tamales it requires the addition of lard or god help me vegetable shortening whipped forever with baking powder until a small ball of dough floats in water. Its kind of a pain to do at home and wonderful to just buy it ready to make tamales yourself, but yes many markets have it ready for tortillas...

#9 apj

apj
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:28 PM

Can anyone update on this place? I got a recommendation today, but no comments here for almost 5 years..?

#10 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:45 PM

Can anyone update on this place? I got a recommendation today, but no comments here for almost 5 years..?

I've gone about four times in the last couple months. Probably my favorite basic Mexican food in the city. Fantastic carnitas.

Adam Lindsley

This Is Pizza

#11 apj

apj
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:08 PM

mmm carnitas. Thanks for the validation!

#12 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:15 PM

It's awesome. Right next to the plasma donation center. Just don't walk into the wrong one.

Adam Lindsley

This Is Pizza

#13 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:15 PM

It gets mentioned in other threads. But the place really hasn't changed since I first went -- except because they have some Oaxacans working for them they now do banana leaf wrapped tamales as well as the corn husk wrapped ones. I go about once a month.

btw, their carnitas are good, but I think it's really the guisados, beans, and nopales that are the stars. Here's a 2005 report.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#14 Adam

Adam
  • Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:28 PM

It gets mentioned in other threads. But the place really hasn't changed since I first went -- except because they have some Oaxacans working for them they now do banana leaf wrapped tamales as well as the corn husk wrapped ones. I go about once a month.

btw, their carnitas are good, but I think it's really the guisados, beans, and nopales that are the stars. Here's a 2005 report.

That's a good point -- the guisados and beans (both pinto and black) are terrific as well. I actually haven't eaten anything here that I haven't liked. Thanks for linking to that post, Nick. I hadn't seen it before.

Adam Lindsley

This Is Pizza

#15 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:28 AM

Their nopales might be the best I've had in a restaurant. I'd say that their cochinita is the item most widely enjoyed by people I take there, but yeah, everything is pretty good. Though, I will admit that I've had their stuff out of the fridge and they do rely a lot on the saltiness and fattiness of their stews when they're hot. I think they could coax more real flavor out of some of the items. But I've tasted their stuff up against pretty much everyone else in town that does guisados and all the rest fall short. (I hope to change that, of course. ;) ) Their beans are darn near perfect.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#16 BigDaddy

BigDaddy
  • Members
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:Poker, reading, disability rights, nonalcoholic beverages, longtime friend of Bill W.

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:52 PM

The banana leaf tamales are really good, the chiles rellenos way good, and the guisados are insanely great. One caution, if you don't know what something is, ask for a taste. Some of it is beyond fiery, which for me is a good thing, but it may be overpowering to more than a few. It's also great to be there when they take the chicharrones out of the fryer and get a hunk along with a tub of salsa. Last time, they had beef chicharron, which I didn't find suited my taste. Kinda gamy and tough.

#17 friedalighthouse

friedalighthouse
  • Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:06 PM

For me, too, the beans, and the pork and nopales stew, are amazing. When I want a grease hit, I get their chile relleno. There's some spicy beef and chicken stews that are deeply good, too. I crave their food often! Looking forward to Nick's rendition in a much closer place, soon!

#18 sfspanky

sfspanky
  • Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:27 PM

Carnitas, Cochinita Pibil, Puerco con Nopales and Menudo are the dishes that I love the best. You really can't go wrong. It is (currently) the best Mexican in the Portland area. I hope NIck can do something about that too.
Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

#19 jmatt

jmatt
  • Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:54 PM

Love this place. Often shop at the Grower's Outlet next door with my daughter and hit it up after for some stews, chicharrones & tortillas to take home and a horchata to slurp together on the way back. Nice people & great food.

#20 JayinPortland

JayinPortland
  • Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:33 AM

Love this place. Often shop at the Grower's Outlet next door with my daughter and hit it up after for some stews, chicharrones & tortillas to take home and a horchata to slurp together on the way back. Nice people & great food.

Yeah, I really need to make it there soon myself, as well. Lived not far away for six months back in 2007 (not exactly close close, but NE 102nd near Gateway TC was much closer to them than C-K is!), but never made it there back then. Been meaning to ever since. It's a bit of a haul for me these days, but I just might be able to make the trip up and out there late this afternoon. For the first time! Finally. And why not? It's Friday, and I haven't had Mexican in like 9 days now (approaching a record for me!). :)