help needed please reply

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 starla

starla
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 07:33 PM

Recently my puerto rican boyfriend moved here to vancouver from boston. He's missing his home cooking and I can't find the ingredients needed. Everywhere we go sells mexican food and some goya products but not in the flavors or types we need. We're looking for a good store we can drive to that will sell puerto rican/carribean seasonings that need to make his favorite foods. Preferably Goya brand. we've looked online and found a few sites but would rather drive and shop than pay S&H. Any ideas? :idea:

#2 foodjunkie

foodjunkie
  • Members
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Dining, food safaris, hiking, fishing, bird hunting, gardening, sustainable agriculture, wild mushrooms, wine, single malt, cigars

Posted 16 May 2005 - 10:09 AM

I'm not sure if they are still in business, but they were last year when we still lived in PDX.

Caribbean Spice
(503) 493-2737
3286 Ne Killingsworth St
Portland, OR 97211
A complete lack of caution is perhaps one of the true signs of a real gourmet: he has no need for it, being filled as he is with a God-given and intelligently self-cultivated sense of gastronomical freedom.

M.F.K. Fisher

#3 vj

vj
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 01:09 PM

Caribbean Spice is still in business -- though they are now on 42nd just north of Prescott.

Another couple sources of Goya: Uwajimaya, out on Beaverton-Hillsdale; and any of the former Becerra's markets (3022 NE Glisan, 234-7785;
2741 N Lombard, 289-0044; 18929 E Burnside, 667-4444). I have bought Goya at both Uwajimaya and Becerras.

By the way, does anyone know about the new ownership of the former Becerra's?

Another place that might have it (though I don't know for sure): Food4Less at Powell & 82nd.

Hope this helps -- vj

#4 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 01:40 PM

Yeah, I'd try the Food4Less...it's big and there's lots of Latino food stuffs there.

I'll bet they carry a better selection of Goya than most places...and probably at good prices.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#5 starla

starla
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 08:14 PM

wow guys , thanks for the help. we now have stuffs to do this weekend. yay for shopping! :(