• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 truth

truth
  • Members
  • 679 posts
  • Interests:scientist, artist, philanthropist, industrialist, bicyclist

Posted 31 January 2007 - 11:37 AM

homestyle japanese, small plates, open from 6pm-1am in a beaverton strip mall. huh? I heard the owners/chefs from other japanese restaurants hang out here at night so they can get some homestyle food. gotta check it out soon. Its across canyon from beaverton town square in the strip mall where best teriyaki is.
(modern signature COMING SOON)

#2 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 11:40 AM

Is that the strip mall where Hakatamon was before it moved into the 'waji space?
Never give up! Never surrender!

#3 truth

truth
  • Members
  • 679 posts
  • Interests:scientist, artist, philanthropist, industrialist, bicyclist

Posted 31 January 2007 - 11:47 AM

Is that the strip mall where Hakatamon was before it moved into the 'waji space?

I think its the same space
(modern signature COMING SOON)

#4 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 11:50 AM

Hmmm....might have to try that soon.

#5 jmatt

jmatt
  • Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:23 AM

The place is question is called Yuzu--however, there's no sign on the front--it's two doors down from Best Teriyaki. My wife and I went there last night--very typical izakaya menu (no sushi), lots of simple grilled items, nimono (motsu-ni!), and the like. Nice sake and shochu line-up--pricey though--especially the shochu. A glass of Tomi No Hozan maybe 3 times more expensive than in Japan. No big deal though, must be difficult to get--didn't stop me from getting one--went great with the shiokara. Will go a little later in the night next time--a bit strange to be in an izakaya and the only ones drinking.

Definitely worth checking out.

#6 Leonardo

Leonardo
  • Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:57 AM

Also strange to be in one with no one smoking! Probably my least favorite aspect of Japan.
I'll give it a try. Thanks.
So it's in the small mall just east of the car dealership on Canyon?
Glad to see it's open latenight. The only time I wish to brave the traffic of 26-217-central Beav.
Homer, upon seeing an ear of corn at a market: "Interesting...it reminds me of a corndog, only without the dog!"

Thanks to http://kawaiinot.com/icons.php for the avatar.

#7 jmatt

jmatt
  • Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 12:05 PM

Also strange to be in one with no one smoking!

Ah yes, the smoke. I'm not sure why, but even being a non-smoker, that never bothered me. Maybe just got used to it.

I'm not sure about the car dealership, but it's across from BTC, on SW 117th & Canyon.

#8 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 12:09 PM

This thread should be retitled Yuzu, it seems.

This was one of the places out in Beaverton that is purported to do a decent ramen. I'm a fiddin to check it out soon.

#9 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:08 PM

Anyone have a price gauge? My partner might be particularly interested in this so I might suggest we go there.

#10 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:00 PM

Also strange to be in one with no one smoking! Probably my least favorite aspect of Japan.
Glad to see it's open latenight. The only time I wish to brave the traffic of 26-217-central Beav.

Take the Ross Island Bridge (assuming no construction) after about 6 PM and then Barbur to Beaverton-Hillsdale to 87th or something similar and cut-over to Canyon. It probably beats 26-217 depending on where you are coming from.

#11 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 01:15 AM

Yuzu! Hours are 6pm-12am, closed Sunday. That's right, there's an izakaya style place open until midnight. I know, it's in the Beav.

It's small. One open kitchen, four bar seats, one four-top, and a configuration that they had in place for 3 eight-tops. I saw people waiting outside just before 6pm (I somehow arrived exactly at opening), and I got the last two seats in the house at the four-seat bar. No kidding, three big families came in right after me, and the place was turning people away by 6:20pm. It seems like they are big on taking reservations for family gatherings.

Menu reminds a bit of Syun, lots of izakaya-style appetizers and grill items, followed by a small selection of bigger plates in meat and fish categories. Four ramens. The gf and I shared grilled steak and green onion skewers, followed by a couple ramens. I had the stewed pork version, she opted for the cha syu.

Steak skewers were awesome. They reminded me of the churrascurria style with a big piece of fat in the middle of the steak cubes. Great char and flavor.

Ramens were very good. Not handmade noodles. Pork broth was excellent in both, with fresh mushroom and just the right amount of ginger. The stewed pork in mine was outstanding. Many of the pieces had a layer of fat that gave way to a very sweet pork that had clearly been marinated and stewed for a nice long while. Janky cell phone pic below. Those are some big pieces of stewed pork you get.

App was $6, ramens were $7 and $9. I prefer not to divulge how much I lit on fire drinking sake.

Jmatt is right about the sake and souchu being pricey, but they have a really nice list of 10-12 good sakes ranging from midrange to pretty damned rare. I indulged a bit in some good stuff. All the tables around me were drinking, and I can imagine this tiny joint can get live around 10pm or so. I'll be checking that out.

Really attentive chef bringing dishes out of the kitchen too. I think this place could be a great choice for a group outing of 8 people or so.

Attached File  2.jpg   42.43K   201 downloads

#12 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 09 March 2007 - 11:11 AM

There is a write-up in today's Oregonian of this place. It sounds great:

"For a genuine izakaya (Japanese bar) experience, there's Yuzu, a pocket of Tokyo squooshed in a Beaverton strip-mall space (4130 S.W. 117th Ave., 503-350-1801). Yuzu serves typical izakaya small plates and the essential drinks that go with them: beer, sake and shochu -- potent spirits distilled with sweet potatoes or grains and sipped neat or on the rocks. Small and decidedly unmarked, Yuzu takes some looking to find -- and you sense the owners have an attitude that non-Japanese-speaking diners need not apply. But once seated, with animated Japanese conversations all around and unstinting flavors beckoning, you are transported to the back alleys of the Ginza -- and in for a good time. The wise get in on the crispy-skinned broiled saba and terrific, rarely seen grilled rice balls. "

#13 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 11:14 AM

It's near the top of our list of places to try...

#14 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 09 March 2007 - 11:17 AM

Interested in a triple date? Us, you two and the Flynn's? Anyone else want to try this place out?

#15 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 09 March 2007 - 11:26 AM

Yuzu! Hours are 6pm-12am, closed Sunday. That's right, there's an izakaya style place open until midnight. I know, it's in the Beav.

Flynn, they aren't open for lunch on weekends? Just dinner?
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#16 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 11:46 AM

Yep, no lunch according to the posted hours. I found it interesting that there were people waiting outside for it to open at 6pm. I think it already has a bit of a following.

#17 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 01:18 PM

Interested in a triple date? Us, you two and the Flynn's? Anyone else want to try this place out?

You will have to wait a couple of weeks but yeah, let's do it.

#18 jmatt

jmatt
  • Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 02:56 PM

There is a write-up in today's Oregonian of this place. It sounds great:

" Yuzu takes some looking to find -- and you sense the owners have an attitude that non-Japanese-speaking diners need not apply. "

I don't particularly agree with that. Friendly, competent service--typically Japanese style--just not as focused on the customer as in Western restaurants. More--"this is the menu, what would you like?" and not "we're here to educate Americans about Japanese food." Ahh, whatever, just sounds a little negative..

#19 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 03:24 PM

I agree with jmatt.

If anything that vibe might be, "We're about to be really busy with three families of eight, so let's hope you don't screw around with the menu or need lots of attention".

Given the kitchen and setup, I don't think they want lines of two-tops waiting outside.

#20 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 19 September 2007 - 12:19 AM

Went tonight with an out of town friend who lived in Japan for a little while and is a big lover of Biwa.

Got there and it was full. We waited about a half hour.

Ordered: grilled mackeral, grilled fresh anchovies, cold tofu, gyoza, salmon carpaccio, zaru soba, kikune ramen, some sake.

It was a mixed experience. The grilled mackeral was pretty good. Simple, but with a crisp skin and buttery interior.

Anchovies were also again. Again very simple with the same side of grated daikon and lemon wedge. Got admonished for not using soy. But frankly, their soy sauce is mediocre. Friend got a bit of liver that was bitter and got turned off by the dish.

Tofu wasn't ota, that's for sure.

Zaru soba noodles were decent enough. The broth, though, was flat. Not Hakatamon or Biwa.

Ramen was better. The broth was very rich and tasty. Had a lot of the expected ingredients, but the pork belly wasn't at Biwa's level. Could have used more pickled ginger and some egg. Chili oil helped cut the richness a little. Noodles sucked. No better than decent packaged stuff. They could have had half the noodles and just had better quality ones. Pretty good.

Gyoza were good as well. Again, I don't think they're as good as Biwa's, but they were definitely nice.

Salmon carpaccio was just sort of blah. Had salmon roe, microgreens, radish, and mayo on lightly grilled salmon. Had several of these types of things recently in Vancouver and often thought, wow. But this just didn't quite come together. Out of balance and needed adjustments.

Overall, not worth the wait. I'd go again if I was out that way, but I wouldn't drive past Biwa to go here.

$55/total was very fair.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's