35 replies to this topic

#21 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:42 AM

Okay, see you there.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#22 boy_asunder

boy_asunder
  • Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 12:08 PM

I'll meet y'all there (assuming you'll actually see this).

#23 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 12:33 PM

We're meeting at 1:15 now. My cell is five oh three 3 ate one zero for three nine.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#24 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 01 February 2007 - 12:47 PM

ate ONE zero? c'mon Nick, I know you're good for at least three zeros!

#25 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 01 February 2007 - 12:50 PM

For those of us downtown-challenged people who are banished behind computer screens in exurban offices and need to live vicariously through the experiences of others, please report the results of your fact-finding mission on these here Interweb pages.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#26 boy_asunder

boy_asunder
  • Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 01:26 PM

We're meeting at 1:15 now. My cell is five oh three 3 ate one zero for three nine.

Ok, seven minutes before the meeting time is insufficient to change it, given that it's a 10 minute walk from my office. Tho At least now I know where y'all were for the 20 minutes I waited and walked around.

Here's my report. The polish cart has tasty peroigis, (which I'm eating now that I've walked back to my office) but their understanding of "spicy" is much more... polish than mine.

#27 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:57 PM

There's another cart that serves pierogies too. We had them, they were doughy and homemade, served with bacon. Tasty, like $3.75 for 6.

Also had food from the Bosnian place, what they call "pita". It actually spicy ground beef wrapped in phyllo and served with a red pepper puree, and a sour cream and cuke salad. This was my favorite of the day! Maybe 6-7 bucks?

Tasted the sausages at the something-garten place. Very flavorful.

Also had a curry/pork bowl at the Japanese place. Very flavorful sauce, which I could eat just with rice.

There are so many new carts since I was last there. Very fun and cheap lunch, perfect when the weather is clear.

#28 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:52 AM

I was very pleased with what we had. That Bosnian cart is a total gem. Absolutely great. They have another dish there, meatballs with some sort of biscuity things, that looks really good, too. I'd like to try both Polish carts. They both have pierogis and both have stews. Both have sausages, I believe, also. I know the Mexican cart on the far NE corner sucks. Haven't tried the other, but it's menu wasn't encouraging. The bratwurst was made by the cart owners and had a nice flavor, though the casing was a touch chewy. Need to try the Thai carts sometime, too. The "African" cart looked like total patchouli wearing hippified African and veggie by white guy with greasy hair. Someone else will have to TOFTT there. The Peruvian cart totally reminded me of this full restaurant I went to in college. It had the same -- essentially -- stir fries of meat served over spaghetti or french fries. From what I hear, this is classic modern homestyle cooking in Peru (and Chile, though in Chile they toss tons of kethcup on everything according to my brother in law who lived there for a couple years). That had some other dishes, too. It's not really food that's to my palate, but I'd have a couple tastes. It's definitely something you don't see around town, which I appreciate.

Very encouraging options. I can't believe these places haven't been reported on.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#29 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:09 AM

Does anyone know if the carts are generally open on weekday 'holidays'...it's President's Day today.

#30 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 01:18 PM

They sure looked like they were open.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#31 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 19 February 2007 - 01:46 PM

What are the cross streets of the Bosnian cart?
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#32 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 02:26 PM

It's up near Fox Tower. 9th and Alder??? It's in the far SE of that pod.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#33 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 06:47 PM

Tabor was open, but we ended up at Karam instead...it was raining!

Another good meal from them. Nice folks, good food. I don't think lunch is any bargain there, though, with prices for mains at 9-14. I prefer to go at dinner, I think.

#34 Marya

Marya
  • Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 02:15 PM

The Thai cart in that pod, Sawasdee, is not bad at all, although they cook everything to order so the wait is long. And the Lebanese cart is, as has probably been reported elsewhere, excellent.

I don't know what to make of the fact that there are suddenly something like 4 or 5 Polish carts around downtown, all with similar menus. Large family of Poles moving in? I never feel like eating a large pile of pierogi or sausage for a workday lunch is a good idea (even though I do sometime succumb to the schnitzelwich) but I am a little curious.

I think The Whole Bowl has a cart there now, too, a refugee from Fox Tower construction. It's a don't bother in my view but I think it does have beans and rice. But so does the Fuego burrito cart at 6th and Yamhill (very basic but good black bean/brown rice/grilled chicken/fresh salsa deal) and that's a much better deal for the beans-n-rice money. No plantains have been spotted on my rounds, unfortunately.

#35 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 07:46 PM

I think The Whole Bowl has a cart there now, too, a refugee from Fox Tower construction.

I think that's right.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#36 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 12:30 PM

I just tried the spicy basil at Sawsadee - ugh. About 3/4 lb of dry, gristly, tough chicken on another pound of rice, with a few pieces of mushroom and pepper in there - less than 10 total. Sauce was unbalanced with hunks of brown sugar in it. Wish I hadn't forced myself through that.