Photo

Savoy Tavern & Bistro

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 westslope97225

westslope97225
  • Members
  • 218 posts
  • Interests:My wife, who is my food critic companion and I, like to find the best restaurants to eat at. <br />We thrive on good food at no expense!

Posted 14 November 2006 - 06:42 PM

So.. no one has had the Sunday only ... Fried Chicken Dinner ??

I was there with a couple of friends, one of which had the fried chicken. She thought it was quite good, but I didn't know about Ken's fried chicken at that point, so I didn't ask for a comparison. My guess is it's worth checking out.

Thankyou ..... B)

#22 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 07:23 PM

I was there with a couple of friends, one of which had the fried chicken. She thought it was quite good, but I didn't know about Ken's fried chicken at that point, so I didn't ask for a comparison. My guess is it's worth checking out.

Thankyou ..... B)

westslope, please report back with your findings after you check this place out.....

#23 westslope97225

westslope97225
  • Members
  • 218 posts
  • Interests:My wife, who is my food critic companion and I, like to find the best restaurants to eat at. <br />We thrive on good food at no expense!

Posted 14 November 2006 - 07:27 PM

Thankyou ..... B)

westslope, please report back with your findings after you check this place out.....

will do ...

#24 Laksa

Laksa
  • Members
  • 789 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 11:03 AM

The Savoy Grill is faintly grubby and the food is boring. Just the fact that they've got mac 'n cheese on the menu says it all.

For the money, I'll take Il Piatto any day.

#25 westslope97225

westslope97225
  • Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:45 PM

The Savoy Grill is faintly grubby and the food is boring. Just the fact that they've got mac 'n cheese on the menu says it all.

For the money, I'll take Il Piatto any day.

so, your opinion, where do you go for good fried chicken here in pdx??

#26 Laksa

Laksa
  • Members
  • 789 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 01:13 PM

Ken's Place.

#27 westslope97225

westslope97225
  • Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 02:14 PM

Ken's Place.

He was next on my list .....

#28 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 04:04 PM

I really want to try the savoy, but keep getting scared off by all the quality horror stories I hear. I'm tempted by customizable meat+sides on an affordable level, though. If it really is all that bad, can anyone suggest an alternative? Also, does anyone have a menu?

#29 loofahgirl

loofahgirl
  • Members
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 04:31 PM

If it really is all that bad, can anyone suggest an alternative?

It's not *bad* but it can be a little uneven. I've had some good meals and some "meh" ones. If you're giong to be in that area, you could try the Press Club, a block up and across the street.

#30 Tapatio

Tapatio
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:34 PM

I live nearby, and that is pretty much my standby for a good, solid pretense-free meal on a weeknight. I really enjoy most things on their menu, especially all of the sides. I think their mac and cheese rivals anywhere in town, and their salads are damn good. Great drinks as well - my wife really likes their Cosmo as it's on the tart side. Certainly not a revolutionary fine dining experience, but they do what they do well, and always have solid and pleasant service.

It's kind of funny how I used to go to Dot's across the street for the same purpose 10 years ago, but as I've aged a bit so have my limits on what I will tolerate. I'm generally not interested in going to Dot's for any reason now. Perhaps in 10 more years I'll feel the same way about Savoy, but at this point they make me very happy on a consistent basis.

#31 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:53 PM

MERGED

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#32 tastyvittles

tastyvittles
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 04:17 PM

I actually think the food there for me has been pretty decent, though I mostly like to get waldorf salad or their burgers. I've had one dish of good piping hot mac n' cheese and after that they've been kind of crap, overcooked, burnt, cold. So I went back to the burger. They certainly go through a lot of cheese curds. I also have not eaten on the grill side of the place, mostly just enjoyed the bar area. It's not smoky, their ingredients are fine, I think perhaps they could make it slightly more upscale in terms of those ingredients and it would make a solid difference in how the food is perceived. Right now I think of it more as a bar first, place for food second.

#33 Will

Will
  • Members
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Rugby, Traveling, Cooking, Touch Rugby, Foraging &amp; Wild Food, Australian Football, Biking, Breaking bikes, Fixing bikes, Fixing strangers' flat tires, France, Japan, Austria, The Czech Republic, Languages, Numbers.

Posted 17 December 2007 - 11:02 AM

I have been really enjoying Savoy lately, especially their happy hour (5-7 weekdays?). The fried cheese curds really hit the spot on a cold night. I also regularly get the trout board, the mac & cheese, and the beet salad, all winners. The pumpkin fritters and veggie burger both lack a little texture, but the flavors are good. Over all, I think it's a good value restaurant serving tasty food, just a few blocks from my house. Also, they have a great Gruner Veltliner on their wine list.

I'm usually there on Thursdays when my partner works from home and we can sneak out for an early dinner.

#34 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 03:24 PM

Anyone know if roast chicken is still available, and is it any good? I'm home fighting off a cold, craving the stuff, and needing take out. The pepper chicken at Garden State would be cold by the time I got back from Sellwood :)

I really really don't like over cooked bird, btw, so any observations on that note would be appreciated.

#35 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 06:13 PM

They didn't overcook the bird, which is good.

Cool space on the bistro side. Didn't check out the bar.

The bird is fried, then roasted. I was a bit surprised by that. I'm not sure if it was rubbed before hand or not, but they drenched it in a sage cream gravy that would have been good in a restrained amount. Between this and the fried crust, it was far too rich.

I had sprouts and spinach on the side. The sprouts and their accompanying bacon and pinenuts were totally overwhelmed with way too much butter. I could only taste butter. Similarly, the spinach tasted like apple cider vinegar, rather than spinach. I was surprised by their bread and wonder where they source it from. Good crumb and flavor, could benefit from a bit more crust.

There was lots of dinner theatre going on as I was the only one in there. Cook talking to his trainee about how tired he is, about his girl, about wanting to go get stoned then and there. He also had some sort of spat with an acquaintance in front of me. I think she may have been the girl in question.

I really wanted to like this place because it's close and I really really really want a place that does English format meals (meat and two veg) with taps for an affordable price. I think I want that more than any other item on my restaurants I want to see open in 2008 list. I'm glad I bit the bullet, at least - this was one of the first places to draw my attention when I moved here Halloween 2006. I put it off and put it off not wanting to be disappointed, and wonder if I should have still.

#36 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:45 PM

Savoy now has a late night menu. Happy hour from 10-midnight and open until 2am Friday and Saturday. Haven't seen the menu yet.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#37 Will

Will
  • Members
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Rugby, Traveling, Cooking, Touch Rugby, Foraging &amp; Wild Food, Australian Football, Biking, Breaking bikes, Fixing bikes, Fixing strangers' flat tires, France, Japan, Austria, The Czech Republic, Languages, Numbers.

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:23 AM

Last night Savoy had a drink special -- the Lombardi -- that was really unbelievable. Molasses infused bourbon, ginger beer, and bacon. From now on I'm going to eat all my bacon dipped in bourbon. It was $7, and they said that they were going to make it a regular drink soon.

Two of us ate off the happy hour menu, spent $30 before tips including a drink each, and left absolutely stuffed.

#38 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:50 AM

Thanks for posting, Will. It's been a long time since we've heard from you, it seems!

Best regards,

Amanda

#39 Will

Will
  • Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 01:43 PM

Yeah, I've been spending all my time at school or in the garden. But the Lombardi was too delicious to not tell everyone about.

#40 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:46 PM

Never put up my Savoy burger meals because my phone that had my notes got stolen. But I'll do my best....

Posted Image

I think Savoy is a good neighborhood place, bordering on destination-worthy because of some of the unique items they have. They also have a good selection of burgers, including daily specials.

Posted Image

And I love that they're keeping the Portland Cutlery sign alive. They also have one of my favorite sides in Portland for a burger, the fried cheese curds:

Posted Image

No, it's not an official side. It's an extra. But they're pretty good, crisp, not overly greasy, yielding to decent melty cheddar. And you can get them on a burger occasionally, too, the Cheesehead:

Posted Image

The gravy may be overkill. It's basically a poutine burger. Those onion rings aren't bad either:

Posted Image

Crisp, fat, not overly heavy.

Posted Image

The fries have improved over the years. They're pretty good now. I don't know if the poutine is one the menu all the time. I don't remember seeing it on my last visit. But occasionally they have it and it's a decent rendition with adequate cheese curds and gravy on good fries.

More in the next post...

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's