superdog
  • Members
  • 951 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 02:34 PM

Hello All,
Here is their website:

http://www.bay13restaurant.com/

On the websitte it says:
"Bay 13, a modern restaurant serving fresh seasonal seafood from sustainable sources, features a sushi bar, raw bar and retail fish market. Bay 13, located in the historic 1909 Crane warehouse building, in Portland's Pearl District, is set to become one of Portland's premiere restaurants in the tradition of other Moana Hotel and Restaurant Group properties."

It says position opening for Jan, it still looks like they are very heavy in construction, so I don't know if they mean Jan 2008, or they miss the Jan expected date. Either way, the description sounds "fishy" to me, no pun intended :w00t:

I will post as soon as I see them open.
Ellen @ SuperDog
superdogpdx@gmail.com

#2 Daaaaave

Daaaaave
  • Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 02:41 PM

From the link at the bottom of the page, it appears the developers are behind the Paragon and Piatti brands.

I hope it does well. We need more choices for seafood.

#3 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 02:47 PM

Oh boy! Another concept chain! And in the Pearl District...Imagine that! :w00t:
signature

#4 Lesliewine

Lesliewine
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 02:55 PM

Interesting seafood may be exciting, but more sushi in the Pearl???

#5 tastyvittles

tastyvittles
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 03:50 PM

The fish market part is what got my attention!

#6 atlas

atlas
  • Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 03:53 PM

I'm curious to see the retail fish market and how they integrate that into the space. I look forward to it.

#7 felix

felix
  • Banned
  • 14 posts
  • Location:somewhere between a chair and a table full of fine wine and great food, oh yeah! leave room for the scotch and cigar!

Posted 24 January 2007 - 03:55 PM

Oh boy! Another concept chain! And in the Pearl District...Imagine that! :w00t:

I agree completely! seems like that is what the Pearl is all about these days

#8 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 03:59 PM

Sorry, but Ten 01 raised the bar. You must have this many numbers in your name to ride the Pearl. Come back later, kid.

#9 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 24 January 2007 - 04:47 PM

For true chains, the Pearl really only has three that I can think of beyond some low end stuff like Hot Lips and Schmizza: Paragon, PF Chang's, and Manzana. This new place is just hotel corporate, it's not really a chain. That's no different than Pazzo or The Heathman or Red Star. We're pretty lucky for a town our size that so many of the mediocre chains have stayed out of town. They're mostly in the burbs where they belong. Though there are several chains that could come along and be among the very best around. The type of places that expand to NY and Vegas first, then maybe LA and SF, then the Dallases of the world, and have so far overlooked us.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#10 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 05:08 PM

Oh boy! Another hotel corporate! And in the Pearl District...Imagine that! :w00t:
signature

#11 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:26 PM

Some of the best restaurants in the world are hotel corporate. I'd sure love to get a Ritz Carlton here.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#12 atlas

atlas
  • Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:35 PM

ditto on that!

Mandarin Oriental also plays host to some great dining

#13 superdog

superdog
  • Members
  • 951 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 10:39 PM

Oh boy! Another hotel corporate! And in the Pearl District...Imagine that! :w00t:

Come on, Ken, it can be good, I'll buy you a drink there once they open!
Ellen @ SuperDog
superdogpdx@gmail.com

#14 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:51 AM

Come on, Ken, it can be good, I'll buy you a drink there once they open!

Your on! But frankly, I'd rather have a chili dog! :wub:
signature

#15 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:06 AM

And Superdog's chili dogs are GOOD!!! YUM!

Best regards,

Amanda

#16 superdog

superdog
  • Members
  • 951 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 02:49 PM

Dear All,
Ed and I've been to Bay13 twice now, once on a Sunday night one week after it opened, and last night which was a Friday. We had a few drinks on the Sunday night visit, the place was practically empty (10:00 pm on Sunday night. The service was very attentive and the drink I had - Sensei was excellent. It was a green tea liquor and vodka cocktail. I like this one since they were generious with their green tea liquor, instead of filling it up with lemonade or lemon juice like other places.
Our second visit was last night, and we arrive around 8:00 pm. The place was full, but not packed, which I like. Bay13 was filled with "beautiful" people (except Ed and I, which look average), Bay13 is definitely the see and be seen type of place in the Pearl. The buildout is fabulous, huge open space, warm feeling, and you can see from one end to another. There is a "private" dining room of some sort, enclosed by clear glass window. I was told their seating capacity is over 300, amazing! I was particularly impressed with their staff - very friendly, nice smiles, make eye contact while speaking with you, acknowledge your exsistence even if they cannot get to you right away...etc. This time, we had something to eat: 1/2 dozen of raw oysters, the king roll (tempura shirmp, crab), and the spicy ahi tuna roll. The oysters we picked were from WA, it is small, and very tasty. They serve them with the vinegar and minced shallots??? type of dressing. I like the oysters so much that I ate the last one without any dressing. The king roll was huge- 12 big pieces of sushi roll filled with tempura crab and shimp. It has a little bit of "Japanese mayo" on the roll and the mayo makes the tempura crab and shimp very delicious. The waitress told us that this Japanese mayo is from a bottle, and you can get that at Asian markets, just look for the bottle with a baby on it? Wish I can describe the mayo better since it is very delicious, but I can't. The spicy tuna was very good also, the spicy seasoning was mixed into the tuna, not a dallop of orange Asian hot sauce on top like other sushi places. Their rice was fresh, and have a good flavor to it. We would like to go back again and try their entrees.

Bay13
701 NW 13th Avenue, Portland OR 97209
503/227-1133

Dinner 5pm - 10pm, Sunday - Thursday
Dinner 5pm - 11pm, Friday - Saturday

No menu posted yet, bummer!

Cheers,
Ed and Ellen
Ellen @ SuperDog
superdogpdx@gmail.com

#17 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 03 March 2007 - 09:30 PM

The waitress told us that this Japanese mayo is from a bottle, and you can get that at Asian markets, just look for the bottle with a baby on it? Wish I can describe the mayo better since it is very delicious, but I can't.

Hi Ellen, this is Kewpie mayo. The baby logo is a very surreal experience. I try to avoid eye contact.

They sell it at Uwajimaya - the plastic squeeze bottle is covered in a plastic overwrap. I use the low fat version, but that's generally a choice with any mayo.

The ingredients will list MSG - I think it is the only commercial mayo that features MSG. That is why I love Kewpie.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#18 superdog

superdog
  • Members
  • 951 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 11:31 PM

The waitress told us that this Japanese mayo is from a bottle, and you can get that at Asian markets, just look for the bottle with a baby on it? Wish I can describe the mayo better since it is very delicious, but I can't.

Hi Ellen, this is Kewpie mayo. The baby logo is a very surreal experience. I try to avoid eye contact.

They sell it at Uwajimaya - the plastic squeeze bottle is covered in a plastic overwrap. I use the low fat version, but that's generally a choice with any mayo.

The ingredients will list MSG - I think it is the only commercial mayo that features MSG. That is why I love Kewpie.

I am putting that on my personal Mt. St. Helen's Dog, MSG or not (Sorry Nick!).

Thanks Polloelastico!
Ellen @ SuperDog
superdogpdx@gmail.com

#19 hidenseek

hidenseek
  • Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 09:20 PM

So, has anyone besides superdog been here? Or, is it condemned because of its "chain" or "corporate" identity? I wonder.... are we so wrapped up in our expectations and standards that we can no longer enjoy and appreciate a place for what it is, rather than what we think it should be?

I hadn't heard of Bay 13 until my neighbor told me about it yesterday. So, we went tonight. As superdog says, it has all the possibilites of being a Bluehour see-and-be-seen kind of place, but I don't think that's the focus. The space is comfortable-Pearl-casual, without the pretention. Food is pleasing in presentation, portion, and taste, without being gourmet wannabe. Menu is limited - only two pages of food offerings (though five(?) of cocktails/wine list) and is predominantly seafood, but I wouldn't categorize it as a seafood restaurant. There's sushi on there, for gawd's sake. I think Bay 13 is just trying to do what it thinks it can do well, at a price point that works, both for the customer and them. And after some miyago oysters, a roasted beet salad, grilled halibut, and a lemon semifreddo dessert, it's hard to argue that they're not succeeding. Oh, and that's not to mention a great bottle of Westrey chardonnay.

#20 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:27 PM

I'm fine with worthwhile chains/corporate joints, but I've read and heard nothing compelling enough to get me in here. Even reading your review (two sentences devoted to the actual food and drink, one about the wine), I'm still waiting for something to motivate me. If someone popped up and said they had a kickass raw bar, or there were a couple seafood dishes that are way above par and worth checking out...anything, really. So far it sounds like a tricked-out McCormick's with a scene and some sushi options.

I have it on trusted authority that it's Paragon-ish in there scenewise. I'm only willing to bust out that costume in PDX if the food and/or alcohol is worth it.