• 5,970 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:38 AM

12 - no sweat - you could just call them and ask you know

#42 mcattrone

mcattrone
  • Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:42 AM

They aren't open on Monday's and I am looking to make a reservation for 18 people. Thanks for the hint.

#43 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:49 AM

I am pretty sure it's not big enough for 18.

#44 Apple

Apple
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 02:29 PM

The PDR at Tabla Mediterranean Bistro is great for a party of 6 -14. It is also possible to rent 1/2 of the restaurant for parties of 35. If you ever have questions about Tabla Mediterranean or Ten 01 please don't hesitate to contact me through this site or by email dine at ten-01.com is the best address.

#45 Epicurious

Epicurious
  • Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 02:47 PM

Wildwood, Bluehour, Carlyle, and Oba all have private rooms that can hold 18. Fenoiul and Olea both have "mezzanine" style private areas that would also hold 18.

#46 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 16 October 2006 - 05:48 PM

Pazzo also.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#47 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 17 October 2006 - 12:16 PM

There was a write-up recently in a freebie Pearl publication about 'holiday party planning'. Here are some of the places that they list:

Frattelli and Laura Sydney Gallery: up to 18 people
Olea and Andina: "smaller venues"
DF: "for groups up to 20" in the window area and up to 50 elsewhere
Bridgeport Brewpub: anywhere from 14-110
Fenouil 10-250
Paragon: 10-200
Bluehour: private dining space "L'Heure Bleue seats up to 50 for a seated dinner and 80 for a cocktail party
Wilf's: 33-400 (!!)
Oba: the Havana Room has a seating capacity from 4 -80 and the entire restaurant is available for groups of up to 250

#48 lutece

lutece
  • Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 06:06 PM

I wanted to add a post about Tabla, but when I searched for postings, what came up was under worst restaurants. To that, I can only say - Huh?

I had Tabla on my list of places to try for more than a year, finally went there with friends last night. All of us did their 3 courses for $24 offering. For that you get small (not really) plates of an app, a pasta, and an entree. I started with mussels, about 10 of them, as plump and sweet as any I've had in a long time. Next, a pappardelle with a rabbit ragu, and finally, a perfectly done juicy pork loin. Unless you're a lumberjack, you would not push back from those "small" plates hungry. More important, every dish I tasted was exceptionally good. I can honestly say that dollar for dollar, it was among the best meals I've eaten in Portland. The tab for 4 of us, with a bottle of wine, and a couple shared desserts was less than my bill for 2 of us at Fenoiul a couple of weeks ago, and was far better in qualty.

My advice is run, don't walk to Tabla to take advantage of this deal before somebody comes to their senses. Bythe way, I have no connection to the place, wouldn't know the owner or chef if I tripped over them

#49 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 06:19 PM

I'm with you: http://portlandfood....s...ost&p=19014

Still holds true: One of the best values in Portland. I'm jonesing for more of the rabbit ragu.

#50 Stinky Cheese

Stinky Cheese
  • Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 02:36 AM

Ditto here. It's a great deal for some really well-prepared food. And the service has been good every time I've bee there.

#51 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 16 December 2006 - 07:46 AM

Yeah, Tabla is pretty incredible. The food always goes beyond my expectations. It's a pleasure to eat there anytime.

Best regards,

Amanda

#52 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 07:49 AM

Duck confit.. some of the tastiest in town (the port sauce with orange is killer), penne carbonara... yes, yes, yes (before the carbonara came on the menu I loved the tajarin)...... and there are interesting changing choices for the first course.

#53 vrunka

vrunka
  • Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 02:48 PM

Can't get enough of their tajarin and the duck confit, too. I've sometimes been disappointed when I've strayed from these dishes, but every dish I've had there is at least tasty and competently executed even if it's not a knock out. Servers are always helpful and knowledgeable, too.

#54 Jamesongrrl

Jamesongrrl
  • Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:Tied for first: Travel & Food & Motorcycles (particularly my BMW 650 GS)

Posted 18 December 2006 - 09:17 AM

I'm not sure how this restaurant ended up under 'worst'. :wacko:
Many of us on this board have always seemed to like Tabla.

It is one of my favorites, and the $24 menu can't be beat. I LOVE the Tabla raviolli and their risotto.

I usually take out of town guest here as it is 1) A great vibe 2) A great price and 3) great food.

And to top it all off- it is within walking distance from my house.
Jamesongrrl
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

#55 mat

mat
  • Members
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Travel, Playing Guitar

Posted 18 December 2006 - 11:08 AM

It's our favorite. The hardest decision I ever have to make in the course of my life is between the Tajarin, the Tabla Ravioli or the Squid Ink Pasta w/Scallop. My wife almost always gets the rabbit ragu and is kind enough to give me a fork-full. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

#56 mariko

mariko
  • Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 05:15 PM

We ate at Tabla once, and while I thought the food was really tasty, the service was sooooooooo horribly slow that I don't know if I would ever go back. The place wasn't even crowded. In fact, only about 2-3 tables were taken! It took so long that one of our party had to leave early to relieve her babysitter. Oh well, you win some, you lose some!

#57 ChrisUpstateNY

ChrisUpstateNY
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 12:03 PM

I haven't been in awhile, but unless the food has slipped a little because of maybe spreading themselves too thin, Tabla is one of my top three places to go when in PDX.

Park Kitchen and Olea being the others.

Happy Holidays,
Chris

#58 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 02:48 PM

I walked by the other day and some sort of construction was present. Are they just remodeling? If so, anyone know when they will be back?

#59 Hakan

Hakan
  • Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 03:06 PM

I walked by last evening and they had a bunch of construction plastic up and were doing something...by the time I'd finished my beer at Beulahland the plastic was gone and the place was dark. They're closed anyway on Mondays, right?

#60 Denise

Denise
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:08 PM

I just received an e-mail from them today about a wine dinner on the 30th of this month and a special four course menu for Valentine's Day, so it looks like business as usual.