Tabla

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#21 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 10 August 2006 - 09:43 AM

John and I ended up at Tabla for dinner last night. Many of the items on the website menu are on the current menu, some are not.
We had the $24 price fix menu (it was a little more since we had beef) and also ordered bread and butter.

For appetizers I had the Willapa Bay Steamer Clams and John had the Baby Beet Salad. Both were excellent. Nice sized portions, too. The broth for the steamers was a little spicy.

For pasta John had the Torchio and I had the Scallops in the squid ink spagetti. My only beef with this dish is the term "Scallops" as in plural. There was only one scallop, but it was a big one and cooked perfectly. The dish was a wonderful melding of flavors with the black spaghetti, Walla-Walla onions and capers. YUM! I really enjoyed it. John loved his pasta. It had a meat sauce that he thought tasted terrific. Interesting shaped pasta on his, too.

For dinner we both had steak. It was tenderloin last night, I think with whipped potatoes and some oddball veggie cross between broccoli and cauliflower, but different. I can't remember what it was. It tasted OK, though. The steak was a wonderful medium-rare and the potatoes were the real deal with a lump or two here and there.

We didn't have dessert.

Atmosphere was a bit dicey, but this was no fault of the restaurant. We chose to eat outside. A big oil truck pulled up across the street to fuel up someone's house tank for a good half hour or so with the loud diesel engine cranking the entire time. One couple got up and went inside and others tried to follow suit, but there were no more tables available in the restaurant. We stuck it out.

The service was kind of slow. For the last course we were wondering if they had to go off and murder the cow in some far off field, but eventually our steaks came and they were worth it. It was totally dark when we left.

Lots of people were walking by with ice cream and we considered going to Staccato Gelato, but it was late and lined up out the door so we passed on that.

The food was outstanding. I highly recommend it to anyone considering a really good meal. Certainly the $24 three course dinner is a value that should not be missed.

Best regards,

Amanda

#22 syrahgirl

syrahgirl
  • Banned
  • 626 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 09:53 AM

Thanks, Amanda, good read. Too bad about that truck, tho. Sounds like the food is pretty good here! :drool:

#23 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:11 AM

Anybody got the website? Not having much luck googling it.
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life
and contributes immensely to goodwill and happy companionship.
It is of great importance to the morale.

-Elsa Schiaparelli

(Avatar is the cover of Sunlight Cafe by Mollie Katzen)

#24 ChrisUpstateNY

ChrisUpstateNY
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:34 AM

Ducky,

Here's the website: http://www.tabla-restaurant.com/

Mustardgirl -

I haven't eaten at Tabla since late fall,unfortunately I live in Upstate NY, so I don't know if the menu is the exact menu they are serving but it makes sense with the Summer Rapini to be the one.

They only change a few dishes on a seasonal basis is what I remember, and they keep there standards or volume sellers, such as the Tarjarin, Ravoili, Rabbit Ragu, Duck Confit and Flat Iron Steak from menu to menu is what I recall.

Hope that helps..

Chris

#25 LadyConcierge

LadyConcierge

Food is good

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:54 AM

Amanda~

The vegan place will be on Mississippi, according to Michael.

#26 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:16 AM

Thank you, Chris! Trying to decide where to take Mom for her birthday dinner. Too many options. I've always thought that she would like Table though.
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life
and contributes immensely to goodwill and happy companionship.
It is of great importance to the morale.

-Elsa Schiaparelli

(Avatar is the cover of Sunlight Cafe by Mollie Katzen)

#27 pdxnewbie

pdxnewbie
  • Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:44 AM

I love squid ink pasta, had my first in Paris so I have no bad memories of eating it :)
I also think that roast romaine salad sounds great!

Thanks for the caution about sitting outside..what a pain!

#28 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 07:01 PM

I really like the tarjarin with truffle oil and the duck confit at Tabla.

#29 LadyConcierge

LadyConcierge

Food is good

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 09:28 PM

Calabrese, you sound like a woman after my own heart. :)

#30 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 05:56 PM

Does anyone have any current information on the Sunday night vegetarian meals that were happening at Tabla? I have a vegan friend who is interested and I'd love some info to pass on.

#31 LadyConcierge

LadyConcierge

Food is good

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 12:45 PM

I asked Michael for you, Calabrese, and he said they aren't doing any more vegan/veggie dinners since they are opening the new vegan restaurant in a few months. Since it has already been leaked, he confirmed it will be called Nutshell and will be on N. Williams (not Mississippi like I had posted earlier). Hope this helps!

#32 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 02:23 PM

Thanks, LC. I will tell my friend to hang on.

#33 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 19 August 2006 - 03:52 PM

So how many f'n restaurants are these guys opening? They've got the vegan place, then the place in the Pearl, and isn't there one more, like a take-out venture? I hope their eyes aren't bigger than their stomachs.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#34 LadyConcierge

LadyConcierge

Food is good

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 04:17 PM

Yeah, no kidding! Haven't heard anything about a take-out place, yet, tho.

#35 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 19 August 2006 - 08:00 PM

I may have them confused on the take-out.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#36 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 03:03 PM

KS, did you get to Tabla? If so, I'd like to hear your opinions.

#37 ks95008

ks95008
  • Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 09:50 AM

Calabrese, that's coming up next week.

#38 ks95008

ks95008
  • Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 07:53 PM

As it turns out, it will be Thursday (tomorrow) evening. I look forward to it and to visiting Alba in October or November.

#39 aidensnd

aidensnd
  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:43 PM

I may have them confused on the take-out.

I believe that the takeout will be incorporated into '1001' in the form of a walkup window...

#40 mcattrone

mcattrone
  • Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:37 AM

Does anybody know how many people the private room in Tabla will fit? Any information is appreciated.