Photo

Tabla

• Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#1 Jamesongrrl

Jamesongrrl
  • Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:Tied for first: Travel & Food & Motorcycles (particularly my BMW 650 GS)

Posted 17 February 2006 - 12:17 PM

In case anyone was interested - here was the menu for the 3 course pre-fix $35 dinner at Tabla on Valentines:
(Pick one from each category)

Appetizers
Bruschetta- robiola cheese, comice pears and hazelnuts
Oysters- served on the 1/2 shell w/ zinfandel mignonette
Duck Liver Pate- Comichons, dijon and crostini
Beef Tartar- garlic aioli, capers, chilies and red onion
Poached Ahi Tuna - arugula, sun-dried tomatoes, black olive parmesan biscuit and Caesar dressing.

Pasta
Gnocchi - house-made gnocchi w/ thyme, black trumpet, hedgehog and shitake mushrooms
Tajarin- thin house made, hand-cut pasta with Dungeness crab, chilies, garlic, lemon and bread crumbs
The Tabla Ravioli- stuffed w/ chard, ricotta and a poached egg, finished with poppy seed butter and Italian truffle salt.
Pappardelle w/ Rabbit Ragu - house-made pasta w/ rabbit braised w/ porcini mushrooms, white wine and tomatoes

Fish, Meat & Fowl
Risotto - Carnaroli rice simmered w/ forest mushrooms, finished w/ Le Cousin cheese
Sea Scallops - Pan-seared w/ fregola sarda pasta, spinach, peppers and cilantro oil
Pan Seared Yellowfin Tuna - Black lentils, Moorish spices and roasted shallots
Cascade Natural Flank Steak
- marinated w/ horseradish, mustard and maple, served w/ extra virgin olive oil whipped potatoes, Tuscan kale and sun-dried tomato aioli
Lamb Top Sirloin Steak - Anderson Valley lamb wrapped in Nueske's applewood smoked bacon, potato sfomato and chestnut-fennel ragu

I had the Pate, Gnocchi and Sea Scallops while my dining partner had the Poached Tuna, Pappardelle and Lamb.
We sat at the kitchen counter.
I always enjoy tabla. The prices are very reasonable and the food good.
Nothing overly fancy (the dishes come out a lot more comfy than the description implies) and I like that.
Normally you can get the pre-fix anynight for $24, and since the menu on V-Day was very similar to their standard menu, I guess I'm paying the extra $10 for a rose, chocolates with the bill and seating.
That's OK- I still think it is a good deal.
(Until I added a $50 bottle of wine, before dinner drinks AND after dinner drinks :twisted: - suddently it adds up.)
But you always get good food for a good price.

#2 syrahgirl

syrahgirl
  • Banned
  • 626 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 12:42 PM

Great post, everything sounds really nice. I'll put Tabla on our list for our next visit to the area. Sounds like you had a really nice V-Day dinner! :(

#3 pdxnewbie

pdxnewbie
  • Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 02:17 PM

Thanks! Jamesongrrl!
I think we might have to make this our first restaurant on the East side..it all sounds perfect. I want some tuna :(
I read about the trio of truffles with wine to finish off dinner, how can I resist?

#4 mat

mat
  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 10:52 AM

We've eaten there at least eight times in the last year (I can't say that about any other restaurant in Portland) and never had a bad experience. It was even better when it was only $20 but $24 is still a very good deal.

If I were to make one compliant would be a lack of lower-end-priced wines on the list.

#5 ChrisUpstateNY

ChrisUpstateNY
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 11:26 AM

I have gone to Tabla 3 or 4 times and enjoyed it each time. I have to say the Tabla Ravioli dish is one of my favorites when I visit PDX.

Chris

#6 Jamesongrrl

Jamesongrrl
  • Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:Tied for first: Travel & Food & Motorcycles (particularly my BMW 650 GS)

Posted 21 February 2006 - 01:58 PM

Yes, I think Tabla is one of the best deals in town.
Great food for a great cost.
I definately recommend it.

It is very approachable and enjoyable.

#7 mustardgirl

mustardgirl
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 05:37 PM

Tabla seems to have a good menu
Price fix $24 seems like a good choice
Does food measure up ?
whats good Whats not!
I can not believe they charge $2 for Ken's bread

#8 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 08 August 2006 - 05:53 PM

I've only been to Tabla twice, both times with this group, and I thought the food was excellent! I need to go back. It's such a great place to eat. The food is of outstanding quality in my opinion.

Best regards,

Amanda

#9 hugo

hugo
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 06:14 PM

Some of the best food (especially hand-made pasta) in pdx and their $25 prixe fixe is an incredible deal. A lighter and perhaps more authentic touch than Clarklewis.

My only gripe is that wine is 3.5x cost (~2.5x retail). Corkage is $10 so BYOB.

The vegan nights are gone but will start again in a new restaurant in the NE.

#10 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 08 August 2006 - 06:37 PM

Hugo, do you know what the new vegan restaurant will be called and where it will be? I am eager to know. I missed out on those dinners when they were offered, but I bet they were incredible. Thanks.

Best regards,

Amanda

#11 Leeper

Leeper
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 07:54 PM

I consider Tabla one of the best places in PDX. The three course menu is a killer deal and they keep the menu changing enough to keep things interesting yet they hold onto 2-3 standard dishes that they do very well (ravioli, truffle pasta, colfoutis). Adam and Michael have turned the kitchen over to Paul lately while they work on their new place in the Pearl (1001)and the new Veg place (I was told it was going to be called "Nuthouse").

My favorite seats are at the kitchen bar but I would not recommend them for more than a couple people.

The last couple months they seem to be getting extremely busy, in the past you could be pretty safe walking in on a weeknight and get a table, now I would call first if you donít want to wait 30min.

#12 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 17,968 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 08 August 2006 - 09:11 PM

I think Tabla is one of the best VALUES in PDX. I don't think they're cooking at the same level of the best places in Portland, but they're solidly in the second tier, yet much cheaper than the first tier, especially with their fixed price meal. They're definitely my favorite of the three small plate (more or less) places on 28th (Navarre and Noble Rot being the other two).
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole & Kenny & Zuke's

#13 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,516 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 10:00 PM

Some of the best food (especially hand-made pasta) in pdx and their $25 prixe fixe is an incredible deal. A lighter and perhaps more authentic touch than Clarklewis.

My only gripe is that wine is 3.5x cost (~2.5x retail). Corkage is $10 so BYOB.

The vegan nights are gone but will start again in a new restaurant in the NE.

I'm a big fan of the prix fixe at Tabla, and Tues nights they do the $20 bottles of *good* stuff. It's far and away one of the best dining values in PDX.

#14 syrahgirl

syrahgirl
  • Banned
  • 626 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:32 AM

I just looked at their website. That is a good value and only $15 to add the wine pairing. A 3 course meal with 3 glasses of wine for under $40 is an excellent value. It's on my list under Olea for our next visit! :D

#15 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 11:06 AM

Damn, I LOVE that ravioli!!

I too think it is a great value for very good food. Had my 40th b-day dinner there in the private room and they treated us very well. Have taken out-of-town guests there and they have been pleased with their meals.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#16 Denise

Denise
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:02 PM

Try the grilled romaine heart salad.
The clams.
The pasta with rabbit.
The duck confit.
And the Alma chocolates.

Denise

#17 ducky

ducky
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:21 PM

Welcome, Denise!
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life
and contributes immensely to goodwill and happy companionship.
It is of great importance to the morale.

-Elsa Schiaparelli

(Avatar is the cover of Sunlight Cafe by Mollie Katzen)

#18 Jamesongrrl

Jamesongrrl
  • Members
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 02:09 PM

Tabla SUCKS - STAY AWAY!!!

No- just kidding, just dont' want my local favorite place to be come so discovered that I can't get a seat anymore.
It is within walking distance of my house and walks that line of nice yet casual.
I love the $24 menu and my favorite dish is the Tabla Ravioli.

I'd highly recommend.
Jamesongrrl
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

#19 ChrisUpstateNY

ChrisUpstateNY
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 04:44 AM

[quote name='Jill-O' date='Aug 9 2006, 11:06 AM' post='20260']

One of my favorite dishes in PDX. Been to Tabla five times and have yet to not order the Ravioli.

Great place..
Chris

#20 mustardgirl

mustardgirl
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:38 AM

[quote name='ChrisUpstateNY' date='Aug 10 2006, 05:44 AM' post='20361']
[quote name='Jill-O' date='Aug 9 2006, 11:06 AM' post='20260']

One of my favorite dishes in PDX. Been to Tabla five times and have yet to not order the Ravioli.

Great place..

Chris
[/quote]

THanks for the feedback I plan to try for next Saturday Night. I guess I need to make reservations early next week
My question "is the menu on the website the same as is at Tabla now"???