No Reservations - Portland/Seattle

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#121 hatchetface

hatchetface
  • Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 04:29 PM

Again..who were the inked chefs? What restaurants do they chef at?

i know a few of these knuckleheads. not chefs, but rather linecooks who float around from restaurant to restaurant on the west coast.

#122 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:51 PM

I uploaded a couple videos I shot during the segment at Apizza Scholls. I'd love for someone to decipher what Bourdain is saying about Bobby Flay. Or just make up your own one-liner:

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#123 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:45 PM

"before anyone says anything, I will include that Bobby Flay has threatened me with a lawsuit" or something very close to that.
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"

#124 alicia

alicia
  • Members
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:food, family, sleeping, cameras.

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:38 PM

i wish that this had happened a year earlier. sitting at that table watching everyone drink beer and smoke cigarettes while i was 7 months pregnant was kind of like torture. but the pizza was good!

#125 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:51 PM

Had an interesting story related to me by my bookkeeper today. His son, 11, was supposed to go on a fieldtrip of sorts down to Voodoo Donuts, but was sick. The bookkeeper's nephew recently got a job at the downtown location, so the bookkeeper and his son decided to go down on a Saturday morning since neither had been there. They drive up and there's a line around the corner, of course. The son hops in line, but the bookkeeper is dreading the wait. He sees a guy on a bike standing out front holding a maple bacon bar. So he asks the guy if it's worth the wait. The guy says "well, it's a Portland icon..." and they continue to have a 5 or 10 minute conversation. Eventually, the guy on the bike tells him he has to go, that he's shooting something for the travel channel. My bookkeeper looks up to see a bunch of cameras and the guy rides off to do his shot. As the bookkeeper heads back to his son in line, a lady is excitedly asking him if he knows who that was -- that it was Anthony Bourdain. Later after Bourdain gets done shooting the bicycle scene, he comes over and interviews the son of my bookkeeper.

I assume it's for part of their farewell tour. He said it happened a couple weeks ago.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#126 TastyTidbits1

TastyTidbits1
  • Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:57 PM

Had an interesting story related to me by my bookkeeper today. His son, 11, was supposed to go on a fieldtrip of sorts down to Voodoo Donuts, but was sick. The bookkeeper's nephew recently got a job at the downtown location, so the bookkeeper and his son decided to go down on a Saturday morning since neither had been there. They drive up and there's a line around the corner, of course. The son hops in line, but the bookkeeper is dreading the wait. He sees a guy on a bike standing out front holding a maple bacon bar. So he asks the guy if it's worth the wait. The guy says "well, it's a Portland icon..." and they continue to have a 5 or 10 minute conversation. Eventually, the guy on the bike tells him he has to go, that he's shooting something for the travel channel. My bookkeeper looks up to see a bunch of cameras and the guy rides off to do his shot. As the bookkeeper heads back to his son in line, a lady is excitedly asking him if he knows who that was -- that it was Anthony Bourdain. Later after Bourdain gets done shooting the bicycle scene, he comes over and interviews the son of my bookkeeper.

I assume it's for part of their farewell tour. He said it happened a couple weeks ago.

I watched then entire series again over the last six months and enjoyed it. The show really evolved over the years and I will miss it.