No Reservations - Portland/Seattle

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#21 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 06 May 2006 - 04:39 PM

He should do an episode of "show us your scars". Burns and cuts and stitch marks...the ugliest hands wins!

#22 Alphakronik

Alphakronik
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 06:43 AM

Yeah. Ok. I'm game for finding out whats up with this shoot. I'm a student up at Western Culinary in downtown PDX, have a few tats (mostly forearms), but have been prepping to get a chef knife tat that covers the inside of my right arm (knife hand). Just been holding off. Maybe this would be the reason to go get it done!

PM or Email me if yer interested.

Clancy

#23 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 16 May 2006 - 08:22 AM

Alphakronik, welcome to the site. You'll need to contact Diane directly. She's too busy to be checking in regularly. Here's the email:

diane@zeropointzero.com

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#24 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:17 AM

So what's the deal on this? Did they call you back, Nick and did you get tattooed for the show? Just curious how this Bourdain thread is going. Anyone else get called up to participate? I agree with whomever said the Simpatica guy with the flames ought to get some air time on Tony's show. I'm looking forward to the Bourdain dinner next week. YEE HAW!!!

Best regards,

Amanda

#25 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:59 AM

I'll try to have something up on my site about this today. But here's the short answer:

Interviewed him for a half hour yesterday and have it digitally recorded and permission to podcast it. Guided him and his ragtag crew over to Apizza Scholls for dinner with the 10 tattooed guests. We all hung out for a while and they intermittently shot takes for the show. Then Ducky, who had originally contacted Diane and given her this site and my name as a source of info, and I ate dinner with the crew and tattooed's companions. This included a white clam pie that was fantastic. We BS'd some more, took pictures, were entertained, and then headed over to Mt Tabor a couple doors down for further revelry. Played navigator again and got them back to the Heathman. So all in all, about 5-6 hours hanging out with the full No Reservations crew. Great time.

Posted Image

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#26 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:09 PM

So, I believe the question was about ink, Nick. You got to see mine, so when do I get to see yours? :) (No, he didn't.) Fun was had by all. The clam pizza rocked so hard :) and I don't even like clams. And the truffle pizza...and the amore. (sigh) Thanks to Apizza Scholls for yet another fabulous meal. And thanks to Diane for letting us join in. That was a blast! I think it will be a really good episode.
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life
and contributes immensely to goodwill and happy companionship.
It is of great importance to the morale.

-Elsa Schiaparelli

(Avatar is the cover of Sunlight Cafe by Mollie Katzen)

#27 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:09 PM

That sounds like a lot fun! So, Nick, did you end up getting a tattoo?

#28 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:30 PM

No, no tattoo. Maybe some day. Actually, some of the tattoos of the people really made me want one. Diane (she coordinates the show) let me see pics of some people that didn't work out for whatever reason and there was this one with a segmented butchered pig which was really cool. It reminded me of a can label I saw once. If I could find it, it would make a great tattoo. I think it was of a pig and other stuff all being tossed in pieces into a sausage grinder or something. I should try to find it.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#29 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:39 PM

No, no tattoo. Maybe some day. Actually, some of the tattoos of the people really made me want one. Diane (she coordinates the show) let me see pics of some people that didn't work out for whatever reason and there was this one with a segmented butchered pig which was really cool. It reminded me of a can label I saw once. If I could find it, it would make a great tattoo. I think it was of a pig and other stuff all being tossed in pieces into a sausage grinder or something. I should try to find it.

Hey, if you do go, let me know and maybe I'll go with you. I've been talking about it for years but I haven't had the guts to do it.

#30 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:43 PM

Sounds like you all had hella fun!!! What tattoo do you have, Pam??? Keep us posted on dates and times of show when it comes around. Even though I don't watch TV, I'm bound to tune in for that show if my buddies are on it!

Best regards,

Amanda

#31 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:49 PM

http://www.extramsg....rticle&sid=1206

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#32 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 01:03 PM

Maybe it should be one of our monthly outings??? :) Tattoos for everyone! Forget Murata. June event at Atlas! :) I have a small musical note with a heart on my back on the right shoulder and the kanji for friend on my left leg. I want a dragon (or a fire lizard with those familiar with Anne McCaffrey's books) eventually.
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life

-Elsa Schiaparelli

#33 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 05 June 2006 - 01:08 PM

I just listened to that MP3...that's a funny story!

#34 Jamesongrrl

Jamesongrrl
  • Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:Tied for first: Travel & Food & Motorcycles (particularly my BMW 650 GS)

Posted 05 June 2006 - 01:11 PM

OMG!!!
AND I WASN'T EVEN INVITED!?!?!?!?

:)
Jamesongrrl
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

#35 vj

vj
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 01:33 PM

Oh, man! Oh, man!! I am so very jealous!!

I thought about going to AS last night too. Man!!

#36 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 01:45 PM

Don't sweat it, Heather! We'll see him next week. If you wanted in on the show/pizza/Tabor adventure you probably needed to commit to the needle. YIKES! :)

Best regards,

Amanda

#37 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 02:21 PM

The Apizza part as far as we knew was a closed shoot and the Tabor venture was totally spur of the moment and even the crew didn't really know what was going on, only Tony.
Pamela

-Elsa Schiaparelli

#38 sfspanky

sfspanky
  • Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 03:09 PM

Yes, it was a closed shoot and we gave the crew the entire patio, which I think was the best call. We were slammed up front and I think having the calm patio worked better for the shoot.

It was a truly memorable evening and Tony was a really nice and genuine. I look forward to seeing him again some day and I also look forward to seeing the episode air on the Travel Channel.
Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

#39 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 04:17 PM

I would have loved to tell everyone about the shoot. Really. I thought it wouldn't have been fair to Diane, though, and to Tony, really, to have a bunch of people there, possibly with books to sign, etc. If the dinner wasn't coming up, though, I would have begged for permission.

He really is a genuine guy. I saw him when he was with fans coming up for autographs, with me at Hillsdale before he knew I'd be interviewing him (he ended up at HFM near closing), with me during and after the interview, with his crew, with other restaurant people, etc, and he's basically the same guy all the time. He doesn't "turn it on" for the camera. He just goes and does what he does and the camera people try to keep up.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#40 vj

vj
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 04:39 PM

but did he try the Pastrami??

You know, I'm glad for you, Brian, but this just means it's going to be even harder for the unwashed masses to get in to eat your pizza.