Apizza Scholls

• Please log in to reply
703 replies to this topic

#681 pyrofemme

pyrofemme
  • Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:27 PM

I have to say we really have shied away from hitting up Apizza Scholls in the past. Mostly because the last few times we were in, it was kind of a mad house with super long waits and then it didn't help hearing that you *might* be turned away if they ran out of dough, even though I completely understand the concept.

But we ventured out on Monday, and arrived right around 6pm. Splitting 2 half and half pizzas between 2 people was a mistake but we really wanted to try a few different things, and leftovers heated up great in the oven on a pizza stone. We had sampled the Amatriciana, Bacon Bianca, Sausage & Peppers, and Tre Colori. I washed it all down with a Hofbräu Dunkel. It was a lot of pizza. I managed to eat almost 3 slices though in my pursuit to taste them all. My favorites were the Amatriciana and Sausage & Peppers. I think next time I'd like to add peppers to the Amatriciana and call it a day.

There was no wait when we arrived or when we left.

#682 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 17,998 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:10 PM

Eater on Future Reservation Plans: http://pdx.eater.com...-alex-volpe.php

As you mentioned, everyone has an opinion about pizza. Do you overhear lots of dining room chatter comparing Scholls to other spots — Ken's Artisan in particular comes to mind.

Back maybe three years ago, you heard that conversation a lot more, when we were a little younger and Ken's was a little younger; people were making up their minds. At this point, we're both relatively well-established in the Portland pizza scene, but you do still get it. But we've gotten enough national attention that you start hearing comparisons — you know it's going to be an interesting conversation when it starts off with, "Let me say, I'm from New York"... and people talk about places like Grimaldi's or Patsy's, or places in New Haven, Connecticut.

And this is why people don't like you, New Yorkers. I got that nearly on a daily basis on Kenny & Zuke's. I would "jokingly" say, "Ah, well, you should just leave because we could never be as good as a New York deli."
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole & Kenny & Zuke's

#683 sfspanky

sfspanky
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:25 PM

Yes, we are doing reservations. We have signed a contract with Open Table and it will be happening in the next couple of months. Also, we are looking at expanding into lunch and a new dough system that will allow us to meet demand on the busiest of night. Stay tuned, folks.
Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

#684 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:02 AM

This will be a welcome change for us. I no longer work the early hours that afforded me the luxury of lining up early at Apizza Scholls. John won't go ahead and line up in a timely manner, so we'd be waiting 45 minutes or longer. Weekends always look insane there from opening till who knows when, based on our drive-by's. I miss Apizza Scholls badly. I'll be glad to go on Open Table and reserve a spot in the future. Can't wait!!!

Best regards,

Amanda

#685 nate

nate
  • Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:28 PM

Well, let me be one of the lone outliers and say I really hope the majority of tables are still set aside for walk-ins. Even on days when I have to work till 6 (or later), if the evening rolls around and nothing else will do but the bast damn pizza in town, I love calling a friend or three, rolling up at 7:30, putting the name in the queue, heading up to Sapphire for a cocktail or two before tucking into some of that delicious pie. Sure, reservations are nice for getting people together, or timing with another event, but for me pizza is one of those things I want when I want it, not at 6pm on the dot next Thursday.

#686 Neven

Neven
  • Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:59 PM

And this is why people don't like you, New Yorkers. I got that nearly on a daily basis on Kenny & Zuke's. I would "jokingly" say, "Ah, well, you should just leave because we could never be as good as a New York deli."

A friend tells me he took a visitor from NY to K&Z and was told that the pastrami was "delicious, but… they don't slice it this way in New York." Which didn't seem to influence the deliciousness, yet was unsatisfactory somehow.

At the PSU market, I once stood in line behind a guy who basically just wanted to argue with the staff about how Brooklyn bagels aren't this small and aren't wood-fired. He didn't purchase anything. Thanks, dude.

#687 sfspanky

sfspanky
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:29 PM

Well, let me be one of the lone outliers and say I really hope the majority of tables are still set aside for walk-ins. Even on days when I have to work till 6 (or later), if the evening rolls around and nothing else will do but the bast damn pizza in town, I love calling a friend or three, rolling up at 7:30, putting the name in the queue, heading up to Sapphire for a cocktail or two before tucking into some of that delicious pie. Sure, reservations are nice for getting people together, or timing with another event, but for me pizza is one of those things I want when I want it, not at 6pm on the dot next Thursday.

Yes, the vast majority of tables will still be for walk in customers. I'm like you, but with everything that I eat. I don't make reservations at restaurants.
Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

#688 nate

nate
  • Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:51 PM

Yes, the vast majority of tables will still be for walk in customers. I'm like you, but with everything that I eat. I don't make reservations at restaurants.

Awesome. Yeah, I'm really that way with everything too. Unless I'm catching an early show or meeting up with a big group, I never make reservations. It's especially true for pizza though (and sushi, go figure) in that I will be hit with a desperate and specific craving late in the afternoon and nothing else will do.

#689 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:41 AM

Wait.. lunch? Any chance of by the slice? Doubtful, but lunch is awesome. I tend to do the late late lunch/early dinner thing all too often.

#690 sfspanky

sfspanky
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:21 AM

Wait.. lunch? Any chance of by the slice? Doubtful, but lunch is awesome. I tend to do the late late lunch/early dinner thing all too often.

Lunch will be personal size pies only. Still working on systems. Throwing things against the wall and seeing what sticks, and what not.
Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

#691 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 17,998 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:23 AM

Lunch will be personal size pies only. Still working on systems. Throwing things against the wall and seeing what sticks, and what not.

I recommend an 8 week soft opening.
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

#692 sfspanky

sfspanky
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:51 PM

I recommend an 8 week soft opening.

Good advice
Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

#693 Neven

Neven
  • Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 03:17 PM

Perhaps some day you can find the time to develop my Scholls dream, Apizza Siciliana, serving the awesome pan pizza you featured those few enchanted Sundays two or three years ago. My general pizza preference is for the Napoletana style, but the stuff you made then was out of this world. I'd definitely be split 50/50 between your current pies and the pans. Anyone else remember these?

#694 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 17,998 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:11 PM

Lunchtime slices of the Difara's style Sicilian pie would be an awesome idea.

#695 daisy

daisy
  • Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:05 PM

Perhaps some day you can find the time to develop my Scholls dream, Apizza Siciliana, serving the awesome pan pizza you featured those few enchanted Sundays two or three years ago. My general pizza preference is for the Napoletana style, but the stuff you made then was out of this world. I'd definitely be split 50/50 between your current pies and the pans. Anyone else remember these?

Both remembered and loved.

#696 pdxscoob

pdxscoob
  • Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:25 PM

Make it happen, Cap'n

#697 JayinPortland

JayinPortland
  • Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:44 PM

This.

One of these years, I need to finally make it there. It's simply ludicrous that I haven't yet. Heh. If nothing else, I guess I'll make it there in August (when my mother will be leading half a dozen family members into town via Amtrak from New Jersey for a two-week visit), but still. I can't quite believe I've never been here yet in all this time...

#698 sfspanky

sfspanky
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:53 PM

That idea is already floating around in my brain.
Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

#699 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 17,998 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:05 PM

This.

One of these years, I need to finally make it there. It's simply ludicrous that I haven't yet. Heh. If nothing else, I guess I'll make it there in August (when my mother will be leading half a dozen family members into town via Amtrak from New Jersey for a two-week visit), but still. I can't quite believe I've never been here yet in all this time...

It better be soon. I don't know how many years Dom has left. He's on borrowed time as it is.

#700 JayinPortland

JayinPortland
  • Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:13 AM

This.

It better be soon. I don't know how many years Dom has left. He's on borrowed time as it is.

Well whoever Dom is, tell him I'll be there soon!