Photo

Apizza Scholls

• Please log in to reply
703 replies to this topic

#661 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:07 PM

From AP's tweet, they will be closed 12/31 - 1/9.

#662 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,962 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:33 PM

After several years away, Scholls is even better than I remember. I went last night with my pizza snob Seattlite girlfriend, who conceded that she liked it better than Delancey and Serious Pie :wub:, as well as a couple of longtime friends. The crust was absolutely perfect - skinnier than Kate Moss, more char than Kurt Russell in Backdraft, delicately balanced with the toppings. The new staff is very attentive and the new Amatriaiciainciancainainaniannsatiain was a definite crowd pleaser. I don't know why I'm posting this, though - could it ever be any different?

#663 WAfoodie

WAfoodie
  • Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:21 AM

Do they still run out of dough, long wait lines, etc. or better times to go?

#664 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:05 AM

they do still run out(fri/sat mostly) but are really good about keeping track and stopping people from even signing in if they are out. You know, if you wander in at 8:15 on a friday and they are out, you only have you to be mad at!

again, the wait is a product of your own planning. people used to say "show up early" but I really disagree with this. show up 60-75 min. after 5 on a weekday, the first seating will be clearing out and you'll sit right down!
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"

#665 sfspanky

sfspanky
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:35 AM

Concrete has a great MO.

Best times to come are Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday before 6pm or after 7:30 pm (the rush is usually from 6-8ish. If you insist on coming in on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday, then get here at opening or be prepared to wait.

When it comes to "running out of dough", it is rare on Mon-Thurs, but can happen during spring break, Thanksgiving, Christmas and all of Summer (most commonly)

Also, when we say we have "run out of dough", we are essentially telling you that we are booked up for the night. We cannot be open past 10pm, nor do we want to be. Given the maximum speed we can produce pizza, which is 25 per hour, we times that by the hours open to seating 4.5 (5pm-9:30pm) and you have 112 pizzas. That is how much dough we make daily, and it may only take 4.5 hours to make 112 pizzas, and it may take 5, depending on pace, etc. If we are turning people away at 8pm, it is not that we are done in the kitchen and going home... it is that the wait list is booked and all remaining pizzas are accounted for.

I hope that answers your questions.
Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

#666 WAfoodie

WAfoodie
  • Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:53 AM

Thanks sf and concrete for the latest info/strategy....it would be a destination drive (25 miles one way) with a group of people to plan so wouldn't want to risk wandering in......

#667 sfspanky

sfspanky
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:28 AM

Thanks sf and concrete for the latest info/strategy....it would be a destination drive (25 miles one way) with a group of people to plan so wouldn't want to risk wandering in......

If you are going to be a table larger than 4, that usually means a longer wait. If you are larger than a group of 8, you need to call and get a reservation. We do not take groups larger than 12, however. Walk-in groups of 9-12 people may be, and are often, turned away, depending on how busy it is and if there are already reservations for groups that size.

Best bet is a table of four, or no larger than 6.
Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

#668 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:55 AM

If you insist on coming in on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday, then get here at opening or be prepared to wait.

For Fri & Sat, we've found that if you get there at 4:45pm, you'll get in on the first seating. If you get there at 5pm, there's already a huge line and you might not get in right away.

#669 WAfoodie

WAfoodie
  • Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:15 PM

If you insist on coming in on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday, then get here at opening or be prepared to wait.

For Fri & Sat, we've found that if you get there at 4:45pm, you'll get in on the first seating. If you get there at 5pm, there's already a huge line and you might not get in right away.

Now here's a topic. What other places can you list off the top that need a Fri/Sat night strategy.

#670 spillred

spillred
  • Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:23 PM

they do still run out(fri/sat mostly) but are really good about keeping track and stopping people from even signing in if they are out. You know, if you wander in at 8:15 on a friday and they are out, you only have you to be mad at!

again, the wait is a product of your own planning. people used to say "show up early" but I really disagree with this. show up 60-75 min. after 5 on a weekday, the first seating will be clearing out and you'll sit right down!

I agree with the logic of this. We got the last table of the first seating once on a Saturday and it was a loooooong wait for pie (it didn't help that the party table ordered about 10 pizzas). But, it could have been worse - at least we had a table to sit at.

#671 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,066 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:28 PM

Now here's a topic. What other places can you list off the top that need a Fri/Sat night strategy.

Most? There are many places I won't even consider on a Friday/Saturday night: Toro Bravo, Screen Door, Scholls, Ken's, Tasty, Le Pigeon, Pok Pok, Cheesecake Factory.... ;) Friday and Saturday nights are almost exclusively Vietnamese, Mexican, etc.

I don't go out for pizza that often, so even with Scholls being my personal favorite in town, I don't get there but maybe twice a year. That said, I think since the options have increased it's much easier to get in than was the case in the past. Both of my last visits were short waits.
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole & Kenny & Zuke's

#672 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:57 PM

Laurelhurst Market. Almost as futile as Toro Bravo on a Fri/Sat.

Le Pigeon takes reservations at least, although not for the counter.

#673 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,602 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 04 April 2011 - 02:17 PM

Is this certain? Last time I tried to get a quick bite before a show at Doug Fir, half the seats were empty at the counter and the dude wouldn't seat me and said they were reserved. I went to UJ's and had a much better time.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#674 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 02:31 PM

Is this certain? Last time I tried to get a quick bite before a show at Doug Fir, half the seats were empty at the counter and the dude wouldn't seat me and said they were reserved. I went to UJ's and had a much better time.

I thought this was so. I usually get to LP early to grab counter seats, and I thought they were all walk ins. BTW, you can reserve rack seats at UJs now, through their website*.

*No, not really. But Opentable for strip clubs should happen any day now. Patent pending, all of you.

#675 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:56 PM

*No, not really. But Opentable for strip clubs should happen any day now. Patent pending, all of you.

Hmmm.... seems like it wouldn't be called Opentable in that case. Maybe another name? :think:

#676 nate

nate
  • Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:16 PM

Concrete has the way to go. Last two times I've gone have been on Tuesday and Wednesday. The first time we showed up right at 5 and just barely missed the first seating. Had to hang out for an hour and wait (actually, walked up the street for a tasty pre-dinner cocktail at Sapphire Hotel, which worked out splendidly). Second time, showed up a bit after 6, just as the first seating was clearing out and sat right down. There were open tables until about 6:30 when a line began to form again.

I'd say your best bet is to show up between 5:45 and 6:15 on Tue-Wed-Thurs and you can almost certainly avoid any significant wait, and possibly be seated right away. If you HAVE to go on Friday or Saturday (folks to entertain or whatever), I would plan on getting there before 6, putting your name on the list and heading somewhere for a drink (I'd try Sapphire first, but they can get really crowded too). An hour or more wait is far less disappointing if you're already planning on it anyway.

#677 goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio
  • Members
  • 268 posts
  • Interests:food & beer

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:24 AM

went last night to try the new house-cured canadian bacon. really worth a stop. i wanted to try it straight-up on a plain pie, which i did. after, the staff recommended doing the 'pig & pineapple', but replacing the onion with jalapeno. i will certainly be trying this next time i visit. there is an earnest smokiness to their new CB that transcends what is generally available. it's also so tender that it's easy to bite through- the entire slice doesn't slide off when you bite into it.
Cause I like to drink whiskey by the gallon, I live on peanut butter sandwiches, I don't care
GG Allin

#678 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,066 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:07 AM

the 'pig & pineapple', but replacing the onion with jalapeno

This is the favorite pizza topping combo of every Mexican on the planet, I think, who like all things "Hawaii" and will add jalapenos to anything. I don't know about here, but in California, jalapenos are usually an option -- at least anywhere that has Hispanics. (In Mexico, as well.) I first saw the pies in college at UC Santa Cruz (maybe Brian did as well). Two girls from East LA across the hall from me ordered them delivered a couple times a week. I had a major crush on Fabia and tutored her in math. We shared more than a few pies and they were quite delicious.
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole & Kenny & Zuke's

#679 pyrofemme

pyrofemme
  • Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:58 AM

Eater on Future Reservation Plans: http://pdx.eater.com...-alex-volpe.php

#680 kjcanfield

kjcanfield
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:44 PM

This makes me very happy.... Maybe we are finally getting away from Portland's "no reservations" policy!