• Please log in to reply
703 replies to this topic

#1 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,045 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 21 January 2005 - 01:58 PM

Brian just emailed me to say that they'll be getting their power on Sunday. They plan on opening Monday and continuing throughout the week to build a little cash. They can't handle a big group, but if you want to go check them out, the notice in the WW won't come out until Wednesday and people haven't expected them to be open on Monday or Tuesday. Not an official event and won't take the place of anything we might do later with them.

They're located at about 45th and Hawthorne, I believe. Dinner only.

#2 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 02:03 PM

Do you know what time they'll open on Mon?

#3 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,045 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 02:13 PM

I think he said 5pm.

#4 foodjunkie

foodjunkie
  • Members
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Dining, food safaris, hiking, fishing, bird hunting, gardening, sustainable agriculture, wild mushrooms, wine, single malt, cigars

Posted 21 January 2005 - 03:58 PM

Guess I'll be doing pizza for take-out some night next week! (insert yummy face emoticon here) :mrgreen:
A complete lack of caution is perhaps one of the true signs of a real gourmet: he has no need for it, being filled as he is with a God-given and intelligently self-cultivated sense of gastronomical freedom.

M.F.K. Fisher

#5 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,045 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 04:21 PM

Just so you know, I'm not sure what their take-out policy will be. You might want to call and ask. I'm pretty sure they're planning on not allowing phone orders. They're true slow food. They only make a certain amount of dough per day and once its gone, it's gone (actually they make the dough the day before and let it rise overnight because they use less yeast).

#6 foodjunkie

foodjunkie
  • Members
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Dining, food safaris, hiking, fishing, bird hunting, gardening, sustainable agriculture, wild mushrooms, wine, single malt, cigars

Posted 21 January 2005 - 05:54 PM

Thanks for the tip, Nick...I'm happy to wait for it and I'll even bring my own box...real pizza is worth the extra effort! 8)
A complete lack of caution is perhaps one of the true signs of a real gourmet: he has no need for it, being filled as he is with a God-given and intelligently self-cultivated sense of gastronomical freedom.

M.F.K. Fisher

#7 Jamesongrrl

Jamesongrrl
  • Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:Tied for first: Travel & Food & Motorcycles (particularly my BMW 650 GS)

Posted 24 January 2005 - 03:37 PM

I AM GOIN' TUESDAY!!
CAN'T WAIT!
:D

#8 vj

vj
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 08:52 AM

Joe and I went last night, and it was excellent, of course. And full by 6pm. It was like there had been a rumor or something....

We had the meat plate (yum, yum, and yum. Also, yum) and Amanda's Amore (the Margherita with Capicollo, which we hoped was named after *our* Amanda, but is in fact named after the Amanda who is part of Apizza Scholls) with Anchor Porter on tap. On tap, brothers and sisters!

Anyways, it was beatific. And very nice to see Jill, Kristy, Nick and Bob & Iona there!

And Nick, why don't you do their new web site: http://www.apizzascholls.com/

#9 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 25 January 2005 - 10:17 AM

We were going to go there last night, but John wasn't feeling well so it was soup and Boca burgers at home for us last night. Tonight I have to be out in Hillsboro right after work, so I'm not sure if we'll be able to get there tonight or not. Pretty soon, though, that is FOR SURE!

And Amanda's Amore may as well have been named after me because I think their Margherita Pizza is incredible!!! I can't wait to get next to that place. I'm sure it will be really packed tonight, as well. Good news travels fast!

The big Portland Food Group bash may not be till next month, but I don't think we can stick it out that long. We'll be over there chowing down in a matter of days, I imagine.

Best regards,

Amanda

#10 Leopoldo

Leopoldo
  • Members
  • 522 posts
  • Interests:Movies, music, movies, food and more movies.

Posted 25 January 2005 - 10:23 AM

I am planning an appearance there on Thursday... I have been telling many people about this place since we dropped by after our wine tour and given that I have a free evening coming up I think I will use it to put my money where my mouth is (or rather put some pizza where their mouths are) and invite folks over for a pie.
-Leopoldo
Come over to the dark side. We have cookies!
http://www.geekroar.com/

#11 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,045 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 11:41 AM

VJ: I actually offered to do it for free. Haven't heard anything. Though I told them about the SW vs SE thing, too, and that hasn't changed so I don't know if they got my email.

Here's the report I put up on Chowhound:

Went to Apizza Scholls for dinner. Interestingly, PortlandFood.org folks kept filing in. I got there at about 5:20 or so and there ended up being 9 of us there (and I know 2 more are going tomorrow) without any real coordination. The place was essentially full the entire time. It's a smaller spot without the huge patio open than the Public House and I imagine they'll be busy a lot.

Since I'm on a low-carb diet, I got a Caesar ( $7 ) with anchovies ( $2 ) and split a meat plate ( $8 ) with a couple Chowhounders/PortlandFooders.  

The Caesar was quite tasty, with very fresh and crisp whole leaves of romaine. The lettuce was nicely dressed, though I like a slightly more bold Caesar dressing. But it was good. Over the top were croutons and shavings of decent quality parmeggiano. They forgot the anchovies at first, which is why my pictures don't have them, but I was very happy when they arrived. Normally I like anchovies as an accent only and will often only eat about half the anchovies given with a Caesar. But these were quite good and I could almost eat them solo.

The meat plate was also quite tasty consisting of prosciutto, capicollo, finnochiona salame, and abruzzo sopressatta. Plus olives and cheese. I enjoyed them all, especially the sopressatta with its complex flavor. Maybe Brian or Rodney can pop up and give a source on these.

Of course, I didn't stop there as you can tell from the pics. I also ate off of some of my fellow Portlandfooders' pies, both the margherita ( $18 ) and a sausage and basil ( $21 ). I just had a sliver of each, but they were both excellent as always. Thin and crisp but foldable bread, charred, but not burnt tasting edges and speckled bottoms. A balance of cheese, basil, and bright sauce on top.

Service could be improved and I expect it will. (The servers were a bit pissy and failed to fill my water glass for long intervals.) I imagine they're not happy having not had incomes for a month. But the food is hard to improve on and now that its in Portland proper I expect a lot of you will become regulars.

And here are pictures:

http://www.extramsg....=view_album.php

#12 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 12:53 PM

Great photos, Nick! My mouth is watering at both the Caesar salad and the pizza. I WANT SOME!!! I may have to change my game plan and head for Hillsboro another night and go eat at Apizza Scholls instead!

Best regards,

Amanda

#13 foodjunkie

foodjunkie
  • Members
  • 340 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 01:06 PM

Anyone know if they are offering call-in/takeout? :?:

M.F.K. Fisher

#14 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,045 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 01:10 PM

I don't know. I know they have their own boxes. Give them a call: 503-233-1286

(PS: When I looked to get the phone number, I noticed they finally changed SW to SE.)

#15 foodjunkie

foodjunkie
  • Members
  • 340 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 01:15 PM

I don't know.  I know they have their own boxes.  Give them a call: 503-233-1286

(PS: When I looked to get the phone number, I noticed they finally changed SW to SE.)

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Thanks Nick!

M.F.K. Fisher

#16 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 04:14 PM

Hee.

We saw a guy with a box last night and wondered first if they suppplied the box and second if that guy was you!

:lol:

BTW, good decision Amanda! You know you want it baby and you know it's great!!

#17 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 07:43 AM

John and I went to Apizza Scholls last night. We were the first customers in. We ordered caesar salad, margherita Pizza, Samuel Smith oatmeal stout and a squirt.

Unlike Nick's experience with pissy service, we were completely attended to constantly and the waitresses were wonderful. The caesar salad was excellent. Big whole romaine leaves with tasty caesar dressing, croutons and nice large slices of parmesan cheese. I was very impressed with this salad and will probably eat it everytime I go there....which I have a feeling will be often.

The pizza had the charred, heavenly, thin, floppy crust that is their signature and the toppings were completely fresh and delicious. It didn't take very long for us, but then we were the first people to come in and order, too, so that may be why.

John had that oatmeal stout from England, which he went on and on about and my beverage of choice was squirt, which was terrific. How many places have squirt as a beverage option these days. It totally made me smile.

The atmosphere is nice. They had blues music playing in the background most of the time. It's a tight little place, but it feels roomy enough and we had a very enjoyable experience there. Heather, Collin and a friend of theirs showed up just before we left and I imagine their experience was positive. The front part of the place was full when we left, but I think there may have been a couple tables in the back free still. That was at about 6:00pm.

John cannot stop raving about Apizza Scholls. This is a guy who, most of the time, could care less about food. He usually doesn't give a rat's patoot whether he's eating a peanut butter sandwich or a king's feast, but there's no hushing him up about this place. He is totally impressed, said there was nothing bad or negative in the least to say, and he gave it a 10!!!

I'm thrilled, since he promised to take me and next time he'll pay. It's not a cheap place to eat. To split a salad and pizza and have a beverage each, one alcoholic, one not, ended up being 32.50 not counting tip. But, as most of us know, this is not the typical spot to grab the frozen dough, processed cheese bunch of baloney that many places call pizza. Not at all. This place is worth every cent. Apizza Scholls is artisan pizza at its finest and this is the only place in town that I know of that has this type and this quality of pizza. We'll be back for sure and plan to become regulars, as a general rule.

I've already heard people talking about this place and they aren't even foodies or part of these internet chowhound, e-gullet, Portland Food type folks, so people are knowing about this spot right off the bat and they are on their way to partake! Perhaps they were previous customers in Scholls. Who knows? I just hope this place is a rousing success going forward. I don't see how it won't be!

Best regards,

Amanda

#18 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 10:14 AM

Amanda,
Even though I was just there Monday, your report has me wanting to go back there tonight!

Kristi

• Guests

Posted 26 January 2005 - 11:04 AM

HA!! :lol:

Kristi, it was really hard not to drive by there after Pilates last night...really hard.

Oy.

#20 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 11:08 AM

Hey, that last post was me...

We've switched to Firefox as our default browser here at work and it sometimes logs me in and out at whim...I'll figure it out at some point.