Photo

Anthony Bourdain's: No Reservations

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#1 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 01:00 PM

It has nothing to do with Portland other than the fact that we talked about it at Carafe and I found some info on it. Maybe if MSG e-mailed him through eG, he might come do a segment in Portland. :lol: Anyway, here's the info.

Tony will be back on the small screen this summer in
"Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations". The fine folks
at Travel Channel will premiere the 13-part series
July 25th. So far three 1-hour episodes have been
completed - Why the French Don't Suck (Paris), Off the
Turnpike (New Jersey), and Hello Darkness My Old
Friend (Iceland).
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life
and contributes immensely to goodwill and happy companionship.
It is of great importance to the morale.

-Elsa Schiaparelli

(Avatar is the cover of Sunlight Cafe by Mollie Katzen)

#2 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 20 April 2005 - 08:26 PM

Thanks Pam. I think I need TIVO.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#3 Jamesongrrl

Jamesongrrl
  • Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:Tied for first: Travel & Food & Motorcycles (particularly my BMW 650 GS)

Posted 03 May 2005 - 11:11 AM

Iceland - ey?
Definitely some good upcoming cuisine there, very modern using excellent Iceland ingredients like fresh seafood, fish and lamb.
To bad cost an arm and a leg....

Curious to see if he eats my favorite meal I had there - mmmmm, whale....
Man, if everyone knew how good whale taste whale would be extinct.
:twisted:

#4 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 11:25 AM

Welcome back, Heather. I saw a Globetrekker extra recently where they covered Icelandic food: "aged" shark, etc.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#5 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 02:38 PM

http://members.virtu...com/m/9c510/8c/

A little link for Jamesongrrl. Tony in Iceland.
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life
and contributes immensely to goodwill and happy companionship.
It is of great importance to the morale.

-Elsa Schiaparelli

(Avatar is the cover of Sunlight Cafe by Mollie Katzen)

#6 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 09 August 2005 - 10:42 AM

Did anyone see last night's episode where Bourdain goes to New Jersey? Oh my god, it was fascinating and funny and fabulous!

From the Bada Bing to the dairy farm to the Japanese mega mart to Koreatown! And the ending with Mario Batali, 'leave the gun...'

Speaking of cannolis, I had the most amazing ones of my life over the weekend at the summer loaf. Di Prima Dolce (on Killingsworth) had a booth, and were filling them fresh. They were stamp you feet delicious. The best cannolis I have ever had!

#7 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 09:01 PM

I nearly died over those cannolis, Angelhair. My only bitch is that they should be bigger.

#8 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 09:12 PM

I enjoyed both. Someone somewhere mentioned doing a cannoli tasting some time, which could be fun, though I suspect Di Prima will win. But it'd still be fun. There are at least several places that fill them to order, even if they're not all making their own shells.

I've seen the Iceland and the Jersey episode. Personally, I think they spent too much time in Bada Bing and on the bus, but I really loved the portion at the farm, with Batali, and at the hot dog place.

I downloaded the Paris episode and plan to watch it soon.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#9 Jamesongrrl

Jamesongrrl
  • Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:Tied for first: Travel & Food & Motorcycles (particularly my BMW 650 GS)

Posted 12 August 2005 - 03:10 PM

I was somewhat disapointed in the Iceland episode.
I found the 'worst meal ever' comement funny but it could have focused more on the great upcoming cuisine.
(I did dine at the one restaurant where they discussed whale- in fact- that is the restaurant where I had the whale!)
It was like the producers picked the worst time of year for him to go just so he could make lots of 'what the hell am I doing here' comments.
Lets put it this way- after watching the show I would not be tempted to go to Iceland- which may be a good thing as it can remain remote and undiscovered but I did feel like the show didn't do the country or cuisine justice.....

#10 malachi

malachi
  • Members
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:coffee, food, espresso, wine, rock climbing

Posted 13 August 2005 - 11:37 AM

Honestly, I thought it was a reasonably fair representation of Iceland at that time of year and of the food in Iceland. Yes, I had one great meal. Yes, the lamb and the dairy are to die for. And yes, those hot dogs are really good. But oh my god did I have some terrible food. And I haven't been so hung over since college. And the Blue Lagoon is the best hangover cure ever.
And that shark is, without a doubt, the worst tasting thing I've ever consumed.

Oh... and I'm convinced that Brennevin has some sort of neural toxin in it.

Personally, I'm not planning on returning unless I get the sudden desire to try and drink myself to death.

#11 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 07:30 PM

I'm just writing this so I can read when replies are posted :lol:

#12 Jamesongrrl

Jamesongrrl
  • Members
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 11:50 AM

I guess that is my point-
you said you had 'one great' meal there- makes me wonder how long you were there and where you ate... I had a lot of great cuisine there. I had the infamous hot dogs too, and tried the Hakarl out of fun but most the dishes I had were very noteworthy. In fact, except for the 'traditional Icelandic cuisine', which we all know is bad, I would say I didn't have a BAD meal. I had some simple ones- fish mash and boiled horse but they themselves we not BAD. Just basic- like pot roast here- like comfort food but hardly found in high end places.
From the salted cod with olive oil and tomato compote in Eskifiordur, to the meat stew with smoked chard on dark bread at Lake Myvatn, to the Lamb in Akureyi, and Whale Steak & Wild Sea Bird in Reykjavik.
There is a plethora of fresh ingredients and a lot of attention going into 'new Icelandic' cuisine and I was quite surprised.
The only quick representation I saw of that was the picnic the chef made for him.

It was like they planned to go for the 'joke' aspect more than the 'wow- look what I've found out here in the middle of nowhere...'.
I mean, Tony even said it was a joke of his producers to send him there at that time with that itinerary (Tony & weightlifting?)
So - yah- I was disappointed. Tony, and the producers, could have done a better job of highlighting upcoming Icelandic cuisine more than making fun of traditional food and how much Tony hates the snow and outdoor activities. I realize Tony is sarcasm but he also used to have a real interest in common people and food. You can't get much more 'out of the way' or 'lay person' than an Icelandic small town (where yes, the lamb, salted cod, meat stew can all be found.)
Tony would have never treated Vietnam that way.....
He'd be sarcastic but lickin' his fingers too, and smirking with people not just at them.... I just got a totally different vibe than usual and I guess not everyone is going to like every country- but they did, definately, under value new Icelandic cuisine. IMO. :lol:

#13 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 12:39 PM

It may be a mistake ultimately, but after the first season of A Cook's Tour, they did, to some degree, have this attitude that what made Bourdain's show interesting was torturing him. Make the white guy eat something disgusting. To some degree, the interesting thing about the first season was that those moments happened by accident. Going up the Mekong with the Khmer, eg. He just wanted to live out his Apocalypse Now fantasies. He just didn't realize how close it would be to reality.

Personally, my favorites are when he really is into some amazing trip/event. The trip to French Laundry, the trip to El Bulli, the trip to Puebla, etc, etc. I imagine his Vietnam one tonight will be like that.

I guess if there's always a mix of seeing Tony suffer and seeing Tony have epiphanies, that will make each seem more sweet for those who like them.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#14 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 02:27 PM

Anyone else watch the most recent episode of No Reservations with Bourdain taking part in devouring a mutilated raw seal? It was like watching a zombie movie. Mmm, brains.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#15 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:41 AM

I was watching until my wife turned the channel, so I missed out. I did watch an episode of Globe Trekker on Baffin Island(?) in the northern territories of Canada, where the host was in the home of a Inuit tribe and they ate raw seal, including the paste from the anal gland.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#16 Victoria

Victoria
  • Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:06 AM

Anal gland. Paste from the anal gland. Ew.

#17 Cat Lancaster

Cat Lancaster
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 11:00 AM

Posted from another list.

Cat

During the past week Tony Bourdain has been filming material for an
episode of this current show, No Reservations. Unfortunately they
just happened to be filming in Beirut, Lebanon. Due to the airport
and much of the bridges and highways having been blown apart, and the
fact that trying to get overland in trucks to Syria risks being
mistaken for "Hezzbola Armor," he is now kind of stranded there. He
has been forwarding occasional updates to eGullet when power and
phone service is available. If you're so inclined check out:

http://forums.egulle...ic=57881&st=780
"travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" ~ Mark Twain

"I'm not a picky eater, but I'm picky about what I eat." ~ Me

#18 pdxnewbie

pdxnewbie
  • Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 11:08 AM

I had no idea, thank you for posting this Cat !

#19 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 18 July 2006 - 11:53 AM

here's a compendium view
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#20 Cat Lancaster

Cat Lancaster
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 12:04 PM

He actaully addressed his 'flip' comments in an e-mail posting last night. From what I read, those quotes were made last Wednesday on the first day of the crisis, not recently.

Cat
"travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" ~ Mark Twain

"I'm not a picky eater, but I'm picky about what I eat." ~ Me