Photo

Cha Taqueria on NW 21st

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#61 Cat Lancaster

Cat Lancaster
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:52 PM

i asked a few of them today and not a one has ever paid for a mistaken order when they are at work.....so if in fact you did, i say thank you, and if that is your restaurants policy.....that is horrendous!!

I agree. When I was reading the bartender's post and saw where she said that she paid for your order out of her pocket I was horrified. Can a restaurant really do that? If that's true, I'm not sure that I'd ever eat there. My god, it's not the servers fault if the kitchen gets something wrong - to make them pay for it seems egregious to me. My heart goes out to the woman, and I hope the kitchen never gets another order wrong.

Cat
"travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" ~ Mark Twain

"I'm not a picky eater, but I'm picky about what I eat." ~ Me

#62 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:45 AM

i asked a few of them today and not a one has ever paid for a mistaken order when they are at work.....so if in fact you did, i say thank you, and if that is your restaurants policy.....that is horrendous!!

I agree. When I was reading the bartender's post and saw where she said that she paid for your order out of her pocket I was horrified. Can a restaurant really do that? If that's true, I'm not sure that I'd ever eat there. My god, it's not the servers fault if the kitchen gets something wrong - to make them pay for it seems egregious to me. My heart goes out to the woman, and I hope the kitchen never gets another order wrong.

Cat

If I am not mistaken, in this case it is the server's fault. She picked up someone else's order.

I am not saying that she should have to pay for that mistake out of her pocket though!

#63 Diner

Diner
  • Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:08 AM

We had lunch the other day and found it to be delightful. Food was very good, great wine selection. Enjoyed the patio and the friendly service.

#64 iheartfromage

iheartfromage
  • Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:35 PM

Spent about three hours on the patio this evening. Service was attentive and drinks were strong, as others have stated. We were there for the cocktails and outdoor seating moreso than for the food but the salsa (verde, perhaps with little bits of avocado?) and the guacamole were both quite good, as was the cucumber margarita that I nursed for far too long that was followed by a slightly-excessively-strong house margarita. We also ordered 2/3rds of the ceviche flight and were impressed particularly by the salmon offering. Very flavorful and fresh. Its a really lovely place to spend a summer evening. I'd absolutely return (and not just because I live three blocks away and can stumble home.). Probably is too crowded during the week to comfortably/not guiltily retain a table for as long as we did, but they were only about half-full at best this for the entire time we were there.

#65 Erleichda

Erleichda
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 05:16 PM

OK, I note the everyones prior experiences. We're moving close to Cha and needed to find out for ourselves. It's new, etc. etc.

Oh, and those that might wonder...we were the folks with 2 little kids. AWESOME that they have a kids menu. Better that they have twists on their meals that they enjoyed (queso blanco)?

Great fresh lime in the house margarita. Yes a bit strong, but that is my preference.

Ceviche flight was what I expected...3 different flavors, all good. Salmon needs SMALL mango. I agree. Not melt in your mouth ceviche, but fun and tasty. I had PLENTY of cactus, my 2 year old digs your salsa (granted not a discriminating taster...avacado is his favorite), and the scallops with cilantro were tasty enough to win over my SO...and she doesn't much like cilantro. Service was great. Interior was Playa Del Carmen.

What does this all mean? A great kid-friendly spot destined to be the upscale mexican laurelhurst? Fine with me! (but I bet little things get dialed in for you older folks too).

#66 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 06:47 PM

went back last night to see if my prior experience was a fluke. admittingly, it was very late but that really shouldnt matter(if your open, your open).
although there were no mistakes made, did feel fairly ignored. for there being a total of 6 people at the bar(we being two of the six) it seemed as if serving us was that last thing anyone wanted to do(getting side work done and talking to the other 4 people at the other end of the bar who were apparently friends seemed to be the priority). we had the barback taking our drink order and when we wanted to leave we had to flag someone else down to take our tab that had been sitting at the edge of the bar with a card sticking out of it for 10 min(mind you, we were the only people at the bar for all intensive purposes).
for what its worth we were there for about 30 min and not once did anyone ask how everything was.......I really wanted the experience to improve, but alas i think i now know what to expect from now on(which wont be very soon)
btw, food is good.....it just gets lost in the disappointment of lackluster service
side note: as let down as we were, we still left a 15% tip! :w00t:
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"

#67 bboomer

bboomer
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 09:05 AM

I have driven by this place many times and have yet to make it in. From the outside it looks quite nice but my concern is that hunk of meat on the spit that appears to be out there all day. Has anyone tried that dish?
please explain

#68 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 20 August 2007 - 02:49 PM

Cha Taqueria Photos

Ceviches
Posted Image

Posted Image

Tacos
Posted Image

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#69 katez0r

katez0r
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 10:20 AM

It's been almost a year since anyone reported on this place, so here we go...
We checked out Cha with some friends last night. One of them just started eating meat, so I'm not sure she's quite ready for Tanuki, though we'll get there with her soon enough!

They have really nice outdoor seating, which is the only thing I'd go back for. I'm not going to go into details, but everything was just sort of mediocre. I had three different tacos, and none are even worth mentioning, and the beans were bland. There's no salt on the tables, which is one of my biggest pet peeves. One of my friends got a chicken dish that was dry, and over-salted. We got a couple pitchers of drinks -- a rose sangria that was really boring and kind of watery, and a margarita pitcher, I'm not really into margaritas, so I can't comment on it. Service was very good, though, and I liked their chips and salsa -- the salsa had some good heat going on.

Based on this visit, I think Cha is boring just like their taqueries, which just straight-up suck, but I understand are more accessible for a lot of people. Nothing was offensive, or truly screwed up (except the chicken), but it was all just meh.

#70 mellycooks

mellycooks
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 02:19 PM

My husband and I live really close to this place, and after lots of visits, I'd say it's really only worth going there for happy hour. The al pastor is good, but only when they have the spit going out on the patio (it's fine the rest of the time but not great).

The service and food are just incredibly unreliable. One night we were sitting at the bar (all night HH pricing at the bar) and I was chatting with the bartender. I said I really don't like sweet drinks etc. He asked me if I liked spicy and I said hell yes! He proceeded to make me the most outstanding spicy margarita ever. It has a whole Serrano chile, sliced very fine in it. It was mainly a function of the bar being slow, and he may have been the proprietor or head bartender.

Other nights the service has been borderline insulting. Sitting at the bar, again, it took a waitress about 10 minutes to get a drink order. (if you sit at the far end of the bar the bartender can't actually serve you) They were busy, and I'm super patient, so no problem. The problem was that it took another 5-10 minutes to bring chips and salsa and take our food order. The food came out in about 5 minutes, but still no drinks. We asked and were told the bartender was working on it. Another 10 minutes and my husband has finished all his food and we still don't have drinks. That's just unacceptable. We got a half-hearted apology and no discounting.

I understand busy, but this was just nuts. We've had a few other bad service incidents here so we mostly avoid it now which is too bad. With some better management and service, it could be so much better!

#71 Abbe and Jebby

Abbe and Jebby
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:42 PM

#72 truth

truth
  • Members
  • 679 posts
  • Interests:scientist, artist, philanthropist, industrialist, bicyclist

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:03 PM

We ate at the Chax3 in SE on 13th, but to avoid unnecessary topic threads we'll just talk about it here.
When you walk in to this cute little Sellwood house, brightly painted inside and out, you’ll like it. Its’ colorful with magenta, orange, and red walls that give it an inviting feel and original artwork sprinkled around. One painting in particular, a well dressed Matador taunting a menacing bull, caught my eye and was so well done I almost wanted to pluck it right off the wall and ask “how much?”
This establishement is a little different with their service, they have you order and pay directly up front when you walk in and things like utensils and water are self serve. There is nothing wrong with this, however, I would wait to tip until after your meal because if you tip generously ahead of time and get a stale taco shell, you may regret being such a philanthropist.
This is not a free refill restaurant, further refills are half price and refills of their poorly made Horchata are full price. Strangely enough I did get a free refill on my sprite, but this may have been due to the fact that we were obviously writing down our thoughts on the meal.
So there you have it, a small but to the point review. We don’t recommend ChaChaCha if you’re looking for an amazing meal. If you’re looking for something mediocre, and fairly cheap, then this is the place.

Anything to say about the food?
(modern signature COMING SOON)

#73 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:13 PM

We ate at the Chax3 in SE on 13th, but to avoid unnecessary topic threads we'll just talk about it here.
When you walk in to this cute little Sellwood house, brightly painted inside and out, you’ll like it. Its’ colorful with magenta, orange, and red walls that give it an inviting feel and original artwork sprinkled around. One painting in particular, a well dressed Matador taunting a menacing bull, caught my eye and was so well done I almost wanted to pluck it right off the wall and ask “how much?”
This establishement is a little different with their service, they have you order and pay directly up front when you walk in and things like utensils and water are self serve. There is nothing wrong with this, however, I would wait to tip until after your meal because if you tip generously ahead of time and get a stale taco shell, you may regret being such a philanthropist.
This is not a free refill restaurant, further refills are half price and refills of their poorly made Horchata are full price. Strangely enough I did get a free refill on my sprite, but this may have been due to the fact that we were obviously writing down our thoughts on the meal.
So there you have it, a small but to the point review. We don’t recommend ChaChaCha if you’re looking for an amazing meal. If you’re looking for something mediocre, and fairly cheap, then this is the place.

Anything to say about the food?

Yeah, their blog post has a lot of detail about the food, so why they only cross-post the summary (which is devoid of info about the food) baffles me. :think:

#74 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 09 November 2010 - 05:12 AM

We don’t recommend ChaChaCha if you’re looking for an amazing meal. If you’re looking for something mediocre, and fairly cheap, then this is the place.

We don't recommend Abbe and Jebby if you're looking for amazing food criticism. But if you're looking for something mediocre....

#75 vj

vj
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:50 AM

Good one, Angelhair!