Cha Taqueria on NW 21st

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 04:35 PM

I saw some construction going on at 21st and Everett, with a corner spot advertising itself as the future home of Cha, a Mexican restaurant. Anyone know anything? Note there is only one cha, not three.

Also, how does Olé x2 stand up to Cha x3? I understand that the latter owns the former.

#2 LadyConcierge

LadyConcierge

Food is good

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 04:40 PM

I've only been to one Ole Ole, near PSU before the name was changed to Cha x3. As far as I'm concerned, they are interchangeable.

#3 superdog

superdog
  • Members
  • 951 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 06:46 PM

I think Chax3 has a lot more Taco than Olex2, also, Chax3 now has margaritas and Olex2 only has beers. I personally like Chax3 a lot more than Olex2 since I like Taco more than Burritos, both of their burritos are very similar to me. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Ed and Ellen
Ellen @ SuperDog
superdogpdx@gmail.com

#4 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 07 January 2007 - 06:53 PM

I prefer Cha Cha Cha to Ole Ole, but neither one are places I go out of my way for.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#5 vj

vj
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 07:51 PM

There's a Cha3 now where Criollo was on Fremont. I weep to think of it.

#6 MojoMan

MojoMan
  • Members
  • 393 posts
  • Interests:Professional Beer Snob, All types of Cuisine and Cooking

Posted 07 January 2007 - 11:09 PM

I first went to Cha x3 in Sellwood in the Purple house.... Thought if was a decent burrito! Coming from the Bay Area, I was looking for a decent burrito and theirs was the first I found to be decent....

About 6 months ago or so, when they started putting more CHA x3 out there, I noticed a young white guy in the Sellwood site. He was trying to be a PR kind of guy..... I joking asked which part of the family did he belong too?? He said, "The new one, that just bought the CHA x3..."

Funny, I noticed the quality has gone down since then...... and the ingredients taste a little different and teh burritos are a little thinner..... Must be the effect of profit driven white boy..... ;-}

More funny stories if anyone is interested....?

#7 truth

truth
  • Members
  • 679 posts
  • Interests:scientist, artist, philanthropist, industrialist, bicyclist

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:29 AM

I saw some construction going on at 21st and Everett, with a corner spot advertising itself as the future home of Cha, a Mexican restaurant. Anyone know anything? Note there is only one cha, not three.

Also, how does Olé x2 stand up to Cha x3? I understand that the latter owns the former.

Cha Taqueria at 21st is going to be a more upscale mexican place by same owners as Cha Cha Cha. They are going to serve "authentic" mexican yada yada and use organic ingredients. There was a blurb in the brand new NW examiner.
(modern signature COMING SOON)

#8 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 08 January 2007 - 07:59 PM

If they would have just waited, I'm sure they could have taken over the spot that will be formerly held by Taste of Mexico.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#9 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:16 AM

So it's like golf, where less Cha's are hopefully better?

#10 iheartfromage

iheartfromage
  • Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 07:36 AM

Driving around my 'hood this weekend I spotted papered windows on the ground floor of the building on the corner of NW 21st and Everett. A banner proclaimed that the space would soon be inhabited by Cha Taqueria. The sign may have also said "and Bar" but I can't recall.

Does anyone have scoop? I'm extremely cautiously optimistic due to the dearth of good mexican in Ptown, but anything's worth at least one try (especially if the need to put a mid-meal Plan B into action results in partaking of pizza night at Ken's down the street!).

#11 truth

truth
  • Members
  • 679 posts
  • Interests:scientist, artist, philanthropist, industrialist, bicyclist

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:32 AM

Driving around my 'hood this weekend I spotted papered windows on the ground floor of the building on the corner of NW 21st and Everett. A banner proclaimed that the space would soon be inhabited by Cha Taqueria. The sign may have also said "and Bar" but I can't recall.

Does anyone have scoop? I'm extremely cautiously optimistic due to the dearth of good mexican in Ptown, but anything's worth at least one try (especially if the need to put a mid-meal Plan B into action results in partaking of pizza night at Ken's down the street!).

Its a more upscale (organic) version of Cha Cha Cha! by same owners. They look to have a margarita bar etc. I think there was another thread on here somewhere.....
(modern signature COMING SOON)

#12 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 04:43 PM

This is the only thread I could find on this place, but they are opening tonight if anyone wants to TOFTT.

#13 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 21 June 2007 - 10:33 AM

Did you go?

#14 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 03:52 PM

No I don't think I will either just yet. I just *know* someone who did some work there :)

#15 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 07:00 PM

Drove by tonight. They had a spit set up outside. We may go tomorrow (Friday) if you wanna come with.

#16 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 07:13 PM

Drove by tonight. They had a spit set up outside. We may go tomorrow (Friday) if you wanna come with.

Hmmm what time? I could be up for that....

#17 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 06:35 AM

Oh, whenever. 6:30 work for you?

#18 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 06:44 AM

I (maybe we, if I can ever get him outta that new place on Sandy geesh) can be there at 6. I think I'll be ready for a drink way before then but.....

#19 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 02:33 PM

We can do 6pm. Jeff is getting out of work early.

#20 tammi

tammi
  • Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 02:36 PM

Ok..We'll see ya there!