Best Baguette

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#1 Vittles

Vittles
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 03:23 PM

Driving down 82nd the other I happened to notice a new restaurant called Best Baguette located behind the Carl's Jr. on Powell. I decided to stop in and check it out to see whats different about this place than the dozens of other banh mi shacks around the area. First off I do believe the bread is baked on site which is always a plus and they have several items that i have not seen on other menus around the city. First off they have something called Saigon Bacon sandwich which is described as "Cured Fatty Bacon made famous in the Capitol City". They also have one called Pork Roll and Egg (Saigon Style) Sandwich. 14 different varities to choose from. Prices range from $2.25 to $2.95. There is also a section called French Sandwiches which are just your basic ham and cheese, turkey and cheese, etc. The most interesting section of the menu to me was the appetizers. Everything from Salad Rolls to Pate Chaud to Curry beef Pie. There was also something called Pain Croutillants which are described as "Crunchy baked Croissants spreaded with butter or sweet honey sauce". Rounding out the menu was a full line of coffees,teas,fresh squeezed sugar cane juice,real fruit durian shakes,and gelato! Having already eaten before I went in to check it out I just ended up getting a scoop of mango gelato and was pleasantly suprised with it's flavor. I'm thinking about going back this weekend to explore the menu further.

#2 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,747 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 08 December 2006 - 04:10 PM

Sounds like a must-stop for me. Thx for the tip!
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#3 thakrza

thakrza
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:37 PM

We saw this too on the way to the DMVand it made me think of Miami Subs--is it a chain? Glad to hear it is good and I will be stopping there also!

#4 Laksa

Laksa
  • Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 02:54 PM

Stopped in for lunch. It looks like a chain but is not. Good bread--not artisanal, but a thin crust and pleasant flavor. I think I prefer it to the bread at Petite Provence. You can buy the bread fresh, which is great, and they seem to sell five or six loaves of perhaps not quite so fresh bread for a dollar fifity--something I could feature tossing into the freezer. The oven is an imposing bit of high-tech commercial kitchenware visible to all, with walk-in doors and the capacity for what must be several hundred loaves per baking cycle. You can look right into it and see the loaves rotating around on a wheeled rack, which somehow touches the 7-year-old in me.

I stupidly ordered the sardine sandwich, fantasizing about grilled sardines with lots of fragrant greens but instead got canned sardines in a tomato sauce with some mayonnaise and a little baggie full of carrots and cucumber and cilantro to add to it. Not terrible but there are better things on the menu, probably including every other one of the sandwiches. There is also dim sum, salad rolls, various stews and curries, and the usual lysergically-hued beverages and desserts, some of which are on the menu as 'Boba' which I think refers to the tapioca pearls they contain.

The staff seemed to be working out how to do their jobs right and the place has a nice upbeat atmosphere. Halfway through lunch I recalled that the building was formerly a Boston Market and I had to laugh. A distinct change for the better.

#5 tejon

tejon
  • 685 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 03:25 PM

Hmmm....I need to stop by Fubonn tomorrow. Might just manage to be hungry for lunch, if I plan things right. ;)
- Kathy

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

#6 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,747 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 09 December 2006 - 07:43 PM

I stupidly ordered the sardine sandwich, fantasizing about grilled sardines with lots of fragrant greens but instead got canned sardines in a tomato sauce with some mayonnaise and a little baggie full of carrots and cucumber and cilantro to add to it.

A Vietnamese market will have a whole aisle relegated to various brands of canned sardines, in tomato sauce. It's a guilty pleasure, for sure - you won't see any fresh grilled sardines in a $2.50 banh mi. When I was a kid, we would peel out the backbone from the filets and eat an entire can with jasmine rice - or not, sometimes you just eat the bones too. Did they remove the bones? Personally, I would throw down a canned sardine sandwich in an instant.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#7 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 08:57 PM

As an Italian-American kid on the East coast I was once very familiar with canned sardines .... in plain oil, in tomato sauce, and in mustard sauce. I never had a thing for sardines but anchovies are a different story. I love them.

#8 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 11:50 AM

I like mashed up canned sardines (or you can leave 'em whole) on a thick layer of cream cheese on a slice of toasted pumpernickel or challah...YUM! Add some sliced cucumber on there and it's even better! ;o)
Never give up! Never surrender!

#9 alma

alma
  • Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 04:36 PM

several years ago at an event RIPE was catering, Naomi made a Bahn Mi, that had a cinnamon-ey pork pate on the baguette, with butter and veggies. It was so good and I have looked for it at Vietnamese places since, but don't know what it is called. Anyone know what I might have had? It didn't have liver in it.

#10 Schmeesa

Schmeesa
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 04:00 PM

My brother just called from Best Baguette-he said the grilled beef sandwich was delicious. I'll have to trek out there this weekend and add it to my growing list of 82nd ave. places (Malay Satay Hut, Fubonn, Wong's King, and Karma Cafe)!

#11 thakrza

thakrza
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 04:15 PM

My friend Shaggy who is a chef in Memphis was asked this year to cook in The Grove for the Southern Foodways Alliance and one of his dishes was a Bahn Mi with crawfish pate and some other stuff. I'll look it up.

#12 Schmeesa

Schmeesa
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 04:21 PM

I had lunch at BB last weekend. It's a great value! All sandwiches are between two and three bucks. We had the grilled beef, the bbq pork, and the grilled chicken. All were good, but we thought the beef was the most flavorful, with a nice lemongrass flavor. The packet of lightly sweet pickled veggies and jalapeno slices is the perfect complement to the sandwich. We tried the steamed pork dumplings and they were OK-the filling was good but the dough quite bland. There's a whole selection of dim sum items that aren't listed on the wall, but they are on the back of the paper menu. I had the iced milk coffee to drink and it was tasty, although it had a lot more ice than drink in it. I also got a green bubble tea and it wasn't great, because the tapioca was past its prime and getting mushy. I should have followed my instinct and crossed the street to Bubble World for that! If I lived in the neighborhood, I'd probably take one of these sandwiches to work every day for lunch.

#13 MaBell

MaBell
  • Members
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 04:48 PM

Last night Pat & I were running some errands on 82nd and stopped by Best Baguette to pick up a sandwich for dinner. As we approached the counter the clerk told us they were OUT OF BAGUETTES. They still had well over an hour before closing.

She said it had never happened to them before. I hope my/Pat's loss means they're doing a great business.
Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Ham?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Pork chops?
Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.
Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.

#14 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 05:41 PM

They just got mentioned in the merc or willie, I can't remember which - either must have struck a run on the place.

#15 Ken lovs pho

Ken lovs pho
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 09:21 AM

several years ago at an event RIPE was catering, Naomi made a Bahn Mi, that had a cinnamon-ey pork pate on the baguette, with butter and veggies. It was so good and I have looked for it at Vietnamese places since, but don't know what it is called. Anyone know what I might have had? It didn't have liver in it.

It could be Banh Mi Cha Chien (fried pork roll). Regular pork roll (cha lua) is steamed without cinnamon but the fried pork roll has a cinnamon fragrance to it.

#16 RM

RM
  • Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 11:09 AM

Looks like Best Baguette is opening a location in Beaverton on Hall Street. Sign is up in the strip mall opposite Standard Appliance, half a block from Cedar Hills Blvd. Supposed to be open in August.

#17 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 05:27 PM

Nice, good to be able to pick up cheap, edible bahn mi on the west side.

#18 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 07:00 PM

Looks like Best Baguette is opening a location in Beaverton on Hall Street. Sign is up in the strip mall opposite Standard Appliance, half a block from Cedar Hills Blvd. Supposed to be open in August.

um, standard appliance is on Canyon about a half mile east of 217? hall is west of 217. do you mean some other appliance store?is it going in somewhere around BedBath&Beyond and that area?.....im confused by the Hall street&StandardTVand appliance mentions, they arent by eachother
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"

#19 ntglassman

ntglassman
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:09 PM

um, standard appliance is on Canyon about a half mile east of 217? hall is west of 217. do you mean some other appliance store?is it going in somewhere around BedBath&Beyond and that area?.....im confused by the Hall street&StandardTVand appliance mentions, they arent by eachother

There's a new Standard TV and Appliance on Hall across the street from the Hall Street Grill. The one your thinking of is the old one that's the outlet now.

#20 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 11:22 PM

got it....thats cool, that reminds me that i need to go to Hall street grill again soon. so august huh? so in restaurant speak thats some time around christmas?
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"