Astoria?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 loofahgirl

loofahgirl
  • Members
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 01:45 PM

Thinking of going for overnight 12/24. Never been. Any recommendations, food or otherwise?

#2 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:18 PM

Astoria is a great town. We've stayed in the Crest Motel just East of town on Hwy 30. It's not fancy, but it's nice enough and the people are wonderful.

For sure go up to the top of the Astoria Column for history and a view. Also, check out Young's River Falls. I think it's on Hwy 202. Ask a local how to get there. It's easy to miss the turn-off for the falls sometimes.

As for food...I've heard the Silver Salmon is good, but have never been. Pig n Pancake is pretty good for a casual breakfast. We had dinner once at a Mexican restaurant (can't remember the name) but it wasn't that great. AND they charged extra for chips and salsa.

Anyway, Enjoy your Christmas at the Coast. To me, no matter what the weather, it is always beautiful there.

Best regards,

Amanda

#3 hidenseek

hidenseek
  • Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 03:01 PM

I too have read that Silver Salmon Grille is the best in town, but for every good review I've seen, there's been a bad one. Haven't been myself, though. T Paul's Urban Cafe is another place I've read about, but haven't been. Based on several visits, I think good dining options are pretty limited. Now, if you like smoked seafood..... Josephson's!

To add to Amanda's list of area attractions, Cape Disappointment State Park, near Ilwaco, WA, affords the best views anywhere of the mouth of the Columbia River. Heck, you might even head that direction for dinner. We had a not too terrible :blush: meal at Shoalwater in the Shelburne Inn this past summer, and heard from other guests of the Inn that The Depot, also in Seaview, and the Port Bistro in Ilwaco were worth a visit.

#4 Foamer

Foamer
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 04:53 PM

Foodwise, seafood at The Ship Inn, practically underneath the bridge. You might look at this blog entry from someone in Astoria about The Blue Scorcher bakery.
http://astoria.mung....llective-lives/
http://astoria.mung....ue-scorcher-go/

#5 GizmoCat

GizmoCat
  • Members
  • 729 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Food, Music, Travel

Posted 08 December 2006 - 07:38 PM

Thinking of going for overnight 12/24. Never been. Any recommendations, food or otherwise?

Not sure what will be open (other than Shallon Winery, at http://www.shallon.com/ , who claim to be open 365 days a year). I have never been to the Silver Salmon, but have heard that it is good. I have eaten at Baked Alaska. Some love the place, others do nto hate it, but don't love it. ;) I had a great experience there (I've only been once). The food was very good, the view when I was there was great, although it was in the daylight, and the service was wonderful.

I am soooo happy to hear that Pier 11 closed. They "WERE" good, but on my last few visits, their staff could have given a rats ass if any customer felt welcome. The last time I went there, my daughter and I decided to go to the beach for the weekend. We always split our time between Cannon Beach, Seaside, Gerhart and Astoria. So, on our Astoria night, we went to Pier 11. Once seated, at 7PM on a late April evening, there were a whopping 2, yes 2 tables...we were one of the 2!

We sat there for over 15 minutes, with the waitress passing us several times without so much as a glance. Finally, I stopped her and asked her if anyone had our table. She sighed, heavily, and said, "I am your server, but I am busy right now."

She then left us for the other table. Once there, she took their drink orders. Then she flew past us and off she went. On her way back, with THEIR bread basket, I stopped her again. "Can we order a drink?" Her reply, "My other tables order is up, I don't have time."

'Nough said. So we got up to leave. I asked for her name and she yelled "Why do you want to know" I said, "Because I intend to tell you boss that you caused a repeat customer to leave." I did write them a letter, no response. Not surprising. She was probably the owners kid. UGH!

So, I am SOOO glad that they are gone. That chicky is probably flipping burgers at Dairy Queen now....naw, better yet, she is asking, "Would you like fries with that?" Bahahaaahhhaaaaa!

#6 ptweiler77

ptweiler77
  • Members
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:Food, cooking, sustainable agriculture

Posted 10 December 2006 - 11:56 AM

We love Astoria and get out there as often as we can. Baked Alaska and The Schooner are both pretty good places- the same executive chef/owner runs both places. Food we've had at Baked AK has always been cooked well, and the view of the Columbia is fantastic. Our favorite is T-Paul's Urban Cafe. They are a small place (only 2 burners on the stove), but they put out some excellent food (and don't put a huge dent in the wallet). I had a great beef stroganoff last time I was in. They have great quesadillas and home made chowder. Another good place is the Columbian Cafe. It's small and usually crowded, so get there early. Try ordering the "Mercy"-where you are at the chef's mercy as to what ends up on your plate (they do let you pick the heat level). The chef at the Columbian also makes his own pepper jellies which they bring to you with bread (if you like it you can take home a jar). They specialize in vegetarian and fresh fish with an emphasis on fresh local produce. Speaking of fish, I've heard Clemente's Fish Market is putting out some good food now, though I haven't been in since the new owners took over. Also have to agree with the Josephson's comment- picked up some smoked sturgeon the last time I was in. I have also read good things about the Blue Scorcher and Silver Salmon, but have not been to either.

Places to stay- I've heard the Hotel Elliot is the coolest spot in town. It must be because every time I try to get a reservation it's booked solid. The Cannery Pier Hotel looks cool, but is very expensive. I've heard good things about the Shilo in Warrenton. We've stayed at the Comfort Suites and they were clean and respectable. The Best Western looks pretty nice. There are also many cool bed and breakfast places in old Victorian homes that are quite affordable (Rose River Inn, Grandview B&B, Clementine's, Astoria Inn).

Astoria is great, have fun!
Keep up with me on My Blog

#7 ptweiler77

ptweiler77
  • Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 11:57 AM

Oh, almost forgot, Wet Dog Cafe, nice brewery and good fish and chips selection including halibut, salmon and tuna.

#8 loofahgirl

loofahgirl
  • Members
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 06:30 AM

Thanks for your suggestions! We made reservations at the Elliott (this is our xmas gift) and will look forward to being able to take your food recs! :angry:

#9 deensiebat

deensiebat
  • Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:30 AM

Another good place is the Columbian Cafe. It's small and usually crowded, so get there early. Try ordering the "Mercy"-where you are at the chef's mercy as to what ends up on your plate (they do let you pick the heat level). The chef at the Columbian also makes his own pepper jellies which they bring to you with bread (if you like it you can take home a jar). They specialize in vegetarian and fresh fish with an emphasis on fresh local produce.

i second the columbian cafe recommendation -- it's a cozy converted diner, and you can watch the chef cook/banter all night. the food's simple, fresh (esp the fish), homemade, and pretty interesting. i've only been for dinner, but they serve breakfast and lunch as well (though possibly not on a holiday).

#10 fulio

fulio
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 11:12 PM

Another good place is the Columbian Cafe. It's small and usually crowded, so get there early. Try ordering the "Mercy"-where you are at the chef's mercy as to what ends up on your plate (they do let you pick the heat level). The chef at the Columbian also makes his own pepper jellies which they bring to you with bread (if you like it you can take home a jar). They specialize in vegetarian and fresh fish with an emphasis on fresh local produce.

i second the columbian cafe recommendation -- it's a cozy converted diner, and you can watch the chef cook/banter all night. the food's simple, fresh (esp the fish), homemade, and pretty interesting. i've only been for dinner, but they serve breakfast and lunch as well (though possibly not on a holiday).

The Columbian is owned by Uriah Hulsey. He also own the Voodoo Room and a small McMenamim style movie theater. He has been there a long time and has a very loyal following.
Please allow me to add that my restaurant is in between some of the other's mentioned and frequently recommended by the desk at the Hotel Eliott. FULIO'S PASTARIA & TUSCAN STEAK HOUSE could be seen as a Cafe Mingo/Basta's/Alba/Ciao Vito/Fratelli's kind of place, with a little bit of the good part of Gino's thrown in. Very well made, traditonal Italian food, with a few things on the menu that won't surprise you by being there but may surprise you with their clarity; and a few things on the menu that you may not find anywhere else.
We also have a very loyal following and a very healthy business. I won't even try to critique my fellow chefs and restauranteurs. We are all neighbors and we are all part of what is giving Astoria it's 'buzz' lately. I would say that if you come to Astoria frequently and end up dining at the same places all the time, perhaps you are missing out.
Peter Roscoe
Chef/owner
FULIO'S PASTARIA & TUSCAN STEAK HOUSE
1149 COMMERCIAL STREET
ASTORIA, OREGON 97103
(503)325-9001

#11 FoodKid

FoodKid
  • Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 12:40 AM

I've been to a few restaurants in Astoria. While staying at a hotel their, the attendant in the lobby suggested the Ship Inn for fish and chips. I checked the place out and had a meal with the family, but I wasn't too impressed. Another place I tried there was Andrew and Steve's Cafe. Wow, that place was really something. Best fish and chips I've ever had. They were made of a rich, melt-your-mouth salmon with a crisp coating that was light, flakey, and flavorful. The place had a nice variety of Greek cuisine, but I didn't get a chance to try it. Will definitely hit that place again when I go back to the coast. Also, if you're coming back to Portland along the Columbia, be sure to try the Berrypatch in Westport. You can get a pretty good slice of pie there.

/Collier

#12 fulio

fulio
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 09:20 AM

Andrew and Steve's is the oldest restaurant in Astoria, having started in the 1940's across the street and down the block. It is still owned by the same family. They are not a 'foodie' kind of place by any stretch of the imagination. Think 'The Nite Hawk' in north Portland, or the old Waddles.

#13 ptweiler77

ptweiler77
  • Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 09:28 PM

I have heard a lot about your restaurant Fulio, including high praise from a fellow student at OCI after visiting. I haven't had a chance to get in yet, but will soon. I am doing an internship in Cannon Beach, so I will have plenty of opportunity to make it out to Astoria!

p.s. My roomate just went to Astoria recently and went to Andrew & Steve's. Sounded like standard bar fare. He said it was decent, but not exciting.

#14 fulio

fulio
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 09:43 AM

I have heard a lot about your restaurant Fulio, including high praise from a fellow student at OCI after visiting. I haven't had a chance to get in yet, but will soon. I am doing an internship in Cannon Beach, so I will have plenty of opportunity to make it out to Astoria!

p.s. My roomate just went to Astoria recently and went to Andrew & Steve's. Sounded like standard bar fare. He said it was decent, but not exciting.

Newman's or Stephanie Inn? Both are friends.

#15 ptweiler77

ptweiler77
  • Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:47 AM

Newman's or Stephanie Inn? Both are friends.

Martin Hospitality- I'm at the Lumberyard now, I will be at both Wayfarer and Stephanie Inn as well.

#16 ptweiler77

ptweiler77
  • Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 11:49 PM

Finally got to Fulio's in downtown Astoria on Christmas Eve. Very nice space. It's high ceilings make the place seem big, but the decor made me feel right at home. Excellent service- felt like family. Great bread and oil/vinegar plate. Fulio's takes pride in what they serve- they even sell high quality olive oils and balsamic vinegars as well as other Italian items that are hard to find elsewhere. I was impressed with the quality of food, from the perfectly al dente fettucine alfredo to the tiramisu. Authentically Italian and done right. Olive Garden (blah) says "when you're here you're family"- which I've never really felt, but at Fulio's you really do feel like family and are treated like it too. Oh, and the prices are very reasonable- drinks, entrees and dessert for two for around $30.00 (no alcohol). Definitely drop by if you are in Astoria, they'll treat you right.

#17 fulio

fulio
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 11:16 PM

thanks for stopping by. Wish you would have introduced yourself, but that's ok. Thanks also for recognizing the atmosphere and genuine feeling that permeates what we do. I have long since abandoned the 'drama' of food and seriously consider the 'comedy' of food to be what it is I do. Not that the food is dismissed. Everything is treated with an almost maniacal adherence to quality and simple technique. BUT THAT IS WHAT A SMALL SLICE OF THE PUBLIC EXPECTS! We cook for everyone and some people understand the difference and can define it. The vast majority only understand that what they are eating tastes better than most of the food they eat elsewhere. They just don't exactly know why.
After awhile(I have been working in restaurants, bars, hotels, speakeasys and whatever almost continously since 1971) the road of discipline gets narrower. I have high expectations of the kitchen and track the vast majority of every plate that is served, whether it is on the way out of the kitchen or on the way back in as it is being bussed. But it does become about the people and serving them. I see what it is that I do as a public service. My customers thank me on a regular basis just for being here.
They all have busy lives and bring with them that baggage. If we can make them set it down at the door and put a little positive spin on their lives for the brief time they are with us, then we are accomplishing our mission. YOU CAN'T FAKE THIS.
KITCHENS AND RESTAURANTS ARE PSYHIC PLAYGROUNDS. THE DISHWASHER IS AS IMPORTANT AS THE MAYOR OR WHOMEVER SITTING AT A TABLE. When you have a group of people that are committed to that task, they can take themselves and the people around them to great places in the heart. the fact that I have figured out a way to put some money in my pocket after everyone else has been paid still startles me to a degree. But the interaction, the human exchange that occurs hour by hour, day by day, endlessly is the true gift.
Here is a motto for the New Year. Be the first to love, not to strike.
Introduce yourself the next time should you get back this way and thanks again for understanding.

Fulio

#18 Foamer

Foamer
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:41 AM

Everything is treated with an almost maniacal adherence to quality and simple technique. BUT THAT IS WHAT A SMALL SLICE OF THE PUBLIC EXPECTS! We cook for everyone and some people understand the difference and can define it. The vast majority only understand that what they are eating tastes better than most of the food they eat elsewhere. They just don't exactly know why.

Fulio

Well, I'll be up at Camp Rilea between the 23rd and the 27th.... I'll have to try and drop in myself, perhaps bring along some of my co-workers.

How big a party can you handle before you'd prefer some advance notice?

#19 fulio

fulio
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 05:19 PM

We handle large parties in a variety of ways. We have a very nice back room that holds 14 people. On the main floor we can handle parties of up to 40. They do require some advance notice, at least two days. On larger parties we often offer a 'family style' meal. 3/4 appetizers, then salads, then pasta, then a main course with mixed grill and side vegetables, followed by a dessert course. They are priced at $30/person, soft drinks included. Wine and cocktails are added on, then an 18% gratuity is added. We ask that it be a one ticket table.
For parties in the back room(commonly referred to as the Wine Room) we can handle everyone ordering off the menu, but people have been opting for our family style meals for a long time and everyone truly seems to enjoy themselves. It is fun to pass around heaping bowls of food and help yourself. Kind of loud and raucous and a bit relaxed in a kind of elegant atmosphere. A bit like Italy. Regular menu options, with a salad, a pasta and a glass of wine, should run about $20/person. Our entrees; steaks, chicken and veal dishes, half rosemary chicken, scampi, etc, range from $16 to $30(3 inch veal chop). A 12oz corn-fed ribeye steak is $19. Comes with a choice of potato or pasta, and a side vegetable.
Which ever option you may choose, and I hope you feel free to call me to discuss it further, be advised that January 27th we are pratically sold out. The Kingston Trio is performing a half a block away at the Liberty Theater and there are no tickets left. Because of that, our reservation book pre-performance already looks like a Chinese menu, but they should all be gone by 7:00pm.
Thanks for the inquiry. Hope to talk to you soon. Go Guard.

Peter Roscoe
Fulio's Pastaria & Tuscan Steak House
1149 Commercial Street
Astoria, Oregon 97103
(503) 325-9001
peter@fulios.com

#20 spyder1

spyder1
  • Members
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:Open wheel racing, Indy Car, Champ Car, Formula One, MotoGP, ALMS, GrandAm.....anything but NASCAR!<br /><br />Skydiving<br />Rock Climbing<br />Hiking<br />Travel<br /><br />Trying new and interesting foods and drinks.

Posted 04 October 2007 - 08:18 AM

We have always enjoyed the Silver Salmon or Baked Alaska for places to eat. There is also a little fish market that is also serves food, but I forget the name of it. The Cannery Pier Hotel has a restaurant The Bridge Water. It wasn't open the last time I was out there but looks pretty cool.

http://www.bridgewaterbistro.com/

As for things to do. Check out the Columbia River Maritime museum....very cool!! If you are a history buff like me Fort Stevens and Fort Clatsop are really cool. There is a seafood school out there if you want to take a cooking class. We keep talking about going to one, but have yet to try it. Then there is the cellar on 10th that has wine tasting too.

If you have never stayed at the www.cannerypierhotel.com it is a must. The hotel sits on an old pier and is directly over the water. When you check in they hand you an intenerary of all the ships coming and going so you can identify them. All the rooms have a view and binoculars for looking at the ships.

If you are a Goonies fan, there is the goonies tour.