Taco Truck Directory

• Please log in to reply
347 replies to this topic

#341 Pambazo!

Pambazo!
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:23 PM

Nick, they are two set up in the parking lot. One at the front of the parking lot on the edge of Stark St. it is in a trailer, and the other is in the back of the parking lot along the side of the flea market main building, it is more of a tent. Both are really good, we preferred the one in the trailer at front of the parking lot.

It is the closest thing I have found to the swap meets in LA. (The best of which is the Alameda Swap Meet.) You can find Elotes, Esquites and other tasty snacks. Most of the eltotes and esquites, are all good, only one lady does Esquites right, she is the one that sells them out of the back of her mini-van, she prepares it with epazote, the other ladies don't. For me it makes a difference. We have tried several different tamale vendors there and all were pretty bad. The only one that was worth having again were the sweet tamales from Las Tarascas, the taco truck... there tamales saladas aren't great.

Hey Nick, where can I find really good pupusas?

#342 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:07 PM

The best pupusas I've had -- and I think I've had them all -- are at Cocina de Chepe. See here:

http://portlandfood....post__p__155638

I've got more pictures to put up some time and more dishes to recommend when I get a chance. A very close second place would be La Guanaquita. See here: http://wweek.com/por...usa_quest.html. I thought there was discussion in one of the threads here, but I must have mostly saved it for the article.

btw, there is more on the Oregon Flea Market and La Tapatia in this thread going back a couple years:

http://portlandfood....post__p__116981

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#343 Pambazo!

Pambazo!
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:23 PM

Awesome thanks! I haven't had good pupusas since moving here from LA in 2010.

#344 Pambazo!

Pambazo!
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:04 PM

The recommendation of Cocina de Chepe was spot on! Some of the best pupusas I have had anywhere, great guy and his cooks are very nice ladies. All around great experience.

Thanks,

The best pupusas I've had -- and I think I've had them all -- are at Cocina de Chepe. See here:

http://portlandfood....post__p__155638

I've got more pictures to put up some time and more dishes to recommend when I get a chance. A very close second place would be La Guanaquita. See here: http://wweek.com/por...usa_quest.html. I thought there was discussion in one of the threads here, but I must have mostly saved it for the article.

btw, there is more on the Oregon Flea Market and La Tapatia in this thread going back a couple years:

http://portlandfood....post__p__116981

#345 Pambazo!

Pambazo!
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:09 PM

Taqueria Antojitos Yucateco
10175 SE Stark St
Ala Carts Parking Lot
Portland, OR 97216
Neighborhood: Hazelwood

Yucatan style Mexican food.
I tried a few different items and one stood well above the rest. Panuchos! Amazing. For this one item it is worth making a trip. My wife and I spend a lot of time in the Yucatan, specifically Merida and the surrounding area. We love the people, the landscape and of course the food. They have a very distinct style from the rest of Mexico. Panuchos are made from handmade tortillas, when they heat on the griddle they puff up, they open a small hole on the edge of the tortilla were they put a spoonful of black beans inside the center of the tortilla and it flattened out. Fried on the griddle until crispy, served similar to a tostada or taco. Garnished with your choice of meat I suggest the cochinita pibil, slow roasted pork, marinated in achiote and covered in banana leaves while cooking.

Posted Image

Not the best picture... tastes better than it looks in this photo. Like I said you rarely find these outside of the Yucatan, and almost never are the done well. Taqueria Yucateco does them well.

I had a few other things, they were fine but don't compare to the Panucho. I had a taco and tamal, the taco was OK, C and the tamal was B- maybe C+... Haven't tried anything else there.

#346 TravisFinney

TravisFinney
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:42 PM

Taqueria Antojitos Yucateco
10175 SE Stark St
Ala Carts Parking Lot
Portland, OR 97216
Neighborhood: Hazelwood

Yucatan style Mexican food.
I tried a few different items and one stood well above the rest. Panuchos! Amazing. For this one item it is worth making a trip. My wife and I spend a lot of time in the Yucatan, specifically Merida and the surrounding area. We love the people, the landscape and of course the food. They have a very distinct style from the rest of Mexico. Panuchos are made from handmade tortillas, when they heat on the griddle they puff up, they open a small hole on the edge of the tortilla were they put a spoonful of black beans inside the center of the tortilla and it flattened out. Fried on the griddle until crispy, served similar to a tostada or taco. Garnished with your choice of meat I suggest the cochinita pibil, slow roasted pork, marinated in achiote and covered in banana leaves while cooking.

Posted Image

Not the best picture... tastes better than it looks in this photo. Like I said you rarely find these outside of the Yucatan, and almost never are the done well. Taqueria Yucateco does them well.

I had a few other things, they were fine but don't compare to the Panucho. I had a taco and tamal, the taco was OK, C and the tamal was B- maybe C+... Haven't tried anything else there.

In the apartments I live in there is a family that makes panuchos and sells them for $1 a piece a few times a month. Everytime they knock at my dor I buy at least 10, and usually they're all gone within an hour lol. I live about 5 mins away from that flea market you were speaking of. I am always on the prowl for killer authentic mexican food. I will have to try that cart out, thanks for the recommendation.

#347 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:39 AM

Welcome to the site TravisFinney!
Never give up! Never surrender!

#348 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:06 PM

I can attest to the panuchos being damn good. If you eat them fresh you can fold them up like a taco. The only salsa they have is a pretty spicy habanero that is pretty good as well.

Lady who makes them is fantastic, and they along with Chepe make this pod worthwhile. Though I actually like Los Arcos more than most.