House Spirits Open House

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 01 December 2006 - 10:16 AM

WHAT: House Spirits, one of Portlandís premier micro-distilleries, will open their doors to the public for a one-day holiday Booze Bazaar.

Owners and distillers Lee Medoff and Christian Krogstad will be on-hand to tour, taste and talk with visitors. Editors from Imbibe Magazine www.imbibemagazine.com will share info on current cocktail trends, while other local distillers and cocktail aficionados will shake and stir new concoctions for trial.

Special holiday combo-packages (White Christmas) including a bottle of gin and vodka will be available, as well as an exclusive offering of the yet-to-be-released House Spirits Krogstad Aquavit will be available for purchase. The bazaar will also feature Ransom Grappas, and traditional cocktail-making accessories available for purchase.

Alma Chocolate will join the festivities by sharing tastes of their new spirit-infused line of truffles, and Viande Meats will offer great tasting cocktail fare - both will have gift ideas available to purchase.

WHERE: House Spirits Distillery, located at 2025 SE 7th St., Portland OR 97214

WHEN: Saturday, December 9th, 2006 from 12:00pm-5:00pm

WHY: Meet the distillers and take advantage of the opportunity to purchase special holiday spirits direct from the source.

#2 slobhan

slobhan
  • Members
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:cooking, dining out (rare luxury), my cats, spirits, singing, beer, wine, and music, writing

Posted 02 December 2006 - 10:50 AM

WHAT: House Spirits, one of Portlandís premier micro-distilleries, will open their doors to the public for a one-day holiday Booze Bazaar.

WHERE: House Spirits Distillery, located at 2025 SE 7th St., Portland OR 97214

WHEN: Saturday, December 9th, 2006 from 12:00pm-5:00pm

I'm so excited to attend this event, and I'm doing so as a part of my work....be sure to stop by and say hi to us Imbibe Magazine staffers. If you haven't heard about us, Imbibe is a national bi-monthly magazine that covers the world of spirits, as well as wine, beer, coffee, tea and beyond from a culinary approach, and we're published independently right here in Portland. With people like the folks at House Spirits around, there's plenty local inspiration.

This is a rare opportunity to taste and talk to the actual producers, come on down!

#3 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 05:30 PM

Welcome to the site Siobhan!

#4 slobhan

slobhan
  • Members
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:cooking, dining out (rare luxury), my cats, spirits, singing, beer, wine, and music, writing

Posted 02 December 2006 - 05:56 PM

Welcome to the site Siobhan!

Thanks, I think I've posted before, but I'll definitely try and be better about reading more often!

#5 alma

alma
  • Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 04:56 PM

I was at this open house hawking my wares, but aside from that have no relationship with House Spirits, so I don't have an agenda when I say that their spirits are wonderful.

I did not think I cared for Gin, a bad experience in highschool, but the Aviation Gin, is really clean with definate herbal notes. It is nice, straight up, chilled. And fun to try with others and see what herbal tones they taste. (I got cardamom, lavender and anise, I think).
Yesterday they introduced an Aquavit- with caraway and star anise notes-- which I liked a whole lot. It would be great with salty, pickled things.

#6 slobhan

slobhan
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 05:07 PM

Yesterday they introduced an Aquavit- with caraway and star anise notes-- which I liked a whole lot. It would be great with salty, pickled things.

Hi barrel neighbor -- it was great to see you yesterday and I have to agree too (again no relation to House Spirits except a newfound liquid crush)....that Aquavit is something special.

Even if you tend to find them too harsh, try the House Spirits version, it's got the right balance of alcohol and spice that goes down smooth.

#7 GizmoCat

GizmoCat
  • Members
  • 729 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Food, Music, Travel

Posted 10 December 2006 - 07:07 PM

Rats! I wanted to go to the open house and I spaced it out until around 4:30. Argh! :angry:
I haven't seen Lee since his days as an owner of Beaumont Wines....I was looking forward to trying his spirits....guess I'll just have to seek them out.

#8 oldbaldfart

oldbaldfart
  • Members
  • 308 posts
  • Interests:Beer, brewing, distilling, coffee roasting, cheesemaking, sausage making

Posted 10 December 2006 - 11:21 PM

The Aquavit should be available in liquor stores soon (both gin and vodka are readily available in many liquor stores and bars). Did anyone else there try the Pepper Delicious #2 cocktail? Aquavit with muddled red bell pepper and mint, with a touch of fresh-squeezed lime -- garnished with mint sprig and pepper ring -- it was an amazing refresher. I look forward to playing with the Aquavit in more cocktails

Rats! I wanted to go to the open house and I spaced it out until around 4:30. Argh! :angry:
I haven't seen Lee since his days as an owner of Beaumont Wines....I was looking forward to trying his spirits....guess I'll just have to seek them out.

Jim Parker

#9 slobhan

slobhan
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 07:24 AM

Did anyone else there try the Pepper Delicious #2 cocktail? Aquavit with muddled red bell pepper and mint, with a touch of fresh-squeezed lime -- garnished with mint sprig and pepper ring -- it was an amazing refresher.

The Pepper Delicious was just that....I can't wait to make that again come summertime.

GizmoCat -- I think that the distillery is open by appointment if you want to call and arrange a tasting.

#10 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 09:03 AM

I went to this as well. If anyone from House Spirits is reading this, could you please post the recipie for the Pepper Delicious #2?

I picked up a bottle of Aquavit along with the port that Ransom Spirits was pouring.

#11 oldbaldfart

oldbaldfart
  • Members
  • 308 posts
  • Interests:Beer, brewing, distilling, coffee roasting, cheesemaking, sausage making

Posted 16 December 2006 - 10:06 AM

I'm not from House Spirits, but as a fan of the drink, I went back to the distillery yesterday to get a bottle of the Aqua Vit before my local store gets it in stock so I can start serving the drink at my pub. The recipe is 2 oz of Aqua Vit, 1 oz fresh squeezed lime juice, 3/4 oz simple syrup, 1/4 of a red bell pepper (sliced) and 6-8 mint leaves. Muddle the pepper and mint, add the fluids and shake with ice and strain into a martini glass. Garnish with a mint leaf and a ring of pepper. It was an instant hit at the pub.

I think this drink woud go perfect with Pok Pok's food.

I went to this as well. If anyone from House Spirits is reading this, could you please post the recipie for the Pepper Delicious #2?

I picked up a bottle of Aquavit along with the port that Ransom Spirits was pouring.

Jim Parker

#12 Leeper

Leeper
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 04:44 PM

Question for anyone else that was at the event.

Is anyone considering the futures purchase for their whiskey?

Sounds like the minimum buy is a 16gal barrel and they will work with you over in various classes over a year to produce a mix that suits your tastes. Once it hits the barrel you can choose to leave it there for 5+ years then they will bottle it for your consumption. The kicker is that you will end up with over 300 bottles and it costs you $3500 priced through the bottling.

I'm not sure what I would do with 300 bottles of booze but it sounds like a killer idea.

#13 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 05:01 PM

Dear OBF, What's your pub called? Loved that cocktail!

#14 oldbaldfart

oldbaldfart
  • Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 02:42 PM

Oaks Bottom Public House in Wrestmoreland. We've sold about 2/3 of the bottle already just with that one drink.

Haven't had time for more experimentation. I want try something called a Nord-Norsk Depression (Cointreau, Aqua Vit, Gin, Lime Juice and Sprite).

Jim Parker

#15 oldbaldfart

oldbaldfart
  • Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 02:43 PM

Make that Westmoreland.

Oaks Bottom Public House in Wrestmoreland. We've sold about 2/3 of the bottle already just with that one drink.

Haven't had time for more experimentation. I want try something called a Nord-Norsk Depression (Cointreau, Aqua Vit, Gin, Lime Juice and Sprite).

Jim Parker