Backgrounds

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#41 amopdx

amopdx
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:23 AM

Maybe things like what kind of work you do professionally?
health insurance

What got you interested in food?
my family, we're obsessed with food. :)
Also, I lived with a countless number of exchange students growing up. My mother still hosts students (works for a student exchange company- currently has a 21 year old Japanese boy and a 22 year old swiss girl living with her) so, I have been exposed to and enjoy a wide variety of cusines.

Have you worked in the industry, if so at what level?
kind of?? from 16-20 I worked at a pizza place, assembled pizzas, restocked, took orders, made dough, did prep, placed food orders, basic bookeeping, was assistant manager when I quit. Also, from time to time assisted a chef hired by the corp to develope new products.

Do you have any formal training or practical?
no.

Do you consider yourself an able "chef" (like able to produce with good results much of what you eat in restaurants)?
Idk. I consider myself an able home cook for my personal tastes. not great at very difficult/ gourmet recipes.

How often do you get out to eat?
average 2 times a week.

Were you born for food or do you have to work at what you like!
BORN for food

#42 anhdeluxe

anhdeluxe
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:public markets, taking green onions and cilantro out of my food, researching recipes/food history/nutritional anthropology, coelacanths, cupcakes, community development, dancing, drinking liberally

Posted 27 May 2007 - 12:03 PM

non-profit work

The idea of eating what is local to where I live. My parents make the best pho you'll never eat. My friends who are awesome cooks and have different diets from me.

Nope.

Just a lot of trial and error.

Do you consider yourself an able "chef" (like able to produce with good results much of what you eat in restaurants)?
Depends on the restaurant! I can do a respectable chicken matzo ball soup, tiramisu, seared scallops and pork tenderloin. These are all dishes that I love in restaurants and tried to recreate at home.

How often do you get out to eat? Several times a week. Too often.

There are a few food hangups I have, but I'll eat anything once, and obsessively, repeatedly if I like it. Def. live to eat and not the other way around.

#43 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 27 May 2007 - 02:05 PM

Welcome anhdeluxe.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#44 ASquared

ASquared
  • Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 07:35 AM

Info Tech Infrastructure

Since we all have to eat, it seems like pretty much human nature (I can't understand those folks who aren't into food :->). My meat and potatoes Midwestern upbringing combined with years of being spoiled by the food in the SF Bay area certainly contribute to my always seeking the good stuff.

I would mention that as a teenager I spent a couple months working at a Mickey D's, but that might disqualify me from the board

no.

I can follow a recipe, but my own creations are somewhat horrific

2-3 times a week.

My waistline says born

#45 tsw51

tsw51
  • Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 09:03 AM

I work in an academic library, would like to get my MLS so I can be a real librarian

I really have no idea! Cooking and my love of food just sort of developed into a great interest over the years. Its a great creative outlet as I have zero skills in other creative endeavors (art, design, etc.).

I was a barista throughout college.

Nope.

Depends on the restaurant. I wouldn't be able to compete on "Top Chef", but I can hold my own.

1-2 dinners a week.

Not born for it...its something I have grown into, and I hope never stop learning!

--Tami
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not. - The Lorax

#46 scarletb

scarletb
  • Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:01 PM

I work in an academic library, would like to get my MLS so I can be a real librarian

--Tami

Tami, which academic library do you work in? I just started a distance MLS program here in Portland and so far it's very good. I'd like to work in an academic library someday too. Email me if you would like more info on the program.

Jessica

#47 darrenhurley

darrenhurley
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 02:40 PM

What kind of work do you do proffesionally?
Office Work

What got you interested in food
I come from a large family of great cooks. My grandmother taught me young. She cooked for 8 kids, so what ever she made she made a TON of.

Have you worked in the industry
One of my first jobs out of high school was working for a gourmet chocolate company based out of Eugene.
I dipped truffles all day!

Do you have any formal training
um....I can dip a truffle

Depends on the restaurant :bottomsup:

How often do you get out to eat
Not enough as I would like to

#48 spyder1

spyder1
  • Members
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:Open wheel racing, Indy Car, Champ Car, Formula One, MotoGP, ALMS, GrandAm.....anything but NASCAR!<br /><br />Skydiving<br />Rock Climbing<br />Hiking<br />Travel<br /><br />Trying new and interesting foods and drinks.

Posted 14 September 2007 - 02:01 PM

I work as the Switch Manager (engineering) for one of the Cell Phone Companies here.

My parents. For growing up in Indiana they were very adventurous. They got me into all kinds of food. they even organized a "Gourmet Club" with friends. Once a month they would gather at someones house and hve a themed dinner. the host would take care of the main course and the others would bring a side dish or dessert. Even the drinks related to the menu. They cooked a lot of hard dishes, and I was always the little helper..helping with prep and clean up. the bonus was being the taster. YUM!!!! And when I was in the military I traveled all over the world and fell in love with all kinds of cuisine.

back sink dish washer at a greasy spoon country kitchen type of place in high school and bartender in college...also somewhat a of shorter short order cook. we served fried foods and sandwiches.

not really kind self taught, learned from my family, and watch a lot of food network

I rarely eat seared ahi because I know how I like it and I make a killer ginger/teriyaka sauce for it. My friends and family are impressed by my cooking, but I am no where near being a chef. The one thing I have a tough time with is grilling chicken quarters on the grill. They come out black!

2-3 times for lunch and maybe once a week for dinner. I work long hours so it can be hard sometimes. My fiance works odd hours too so both us usually come home and crash. If we do go out we go out with a bang to eat good food and enjoy the night!

I love it all...at least most of it!!!

#49 ribster22

ribster22
  • Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 01:20 PM

What kind of work do you do professionally?
Technician for HP.

What got you interested in food
I've always been interested if not obsessed by food. When I moved out west from Ohio I had to learn to make the stuff I missed from home that was not available or not as good. My Grandma from Kentucky's fried chicken, her sausage gravy, my Dad's spaghetti and meatballs, Mom's swiss steak and her potato soup. Also regional favorites like Cincinnati chili and midwest pork tenderloin sandwiches. I've been cooking these things for years, all the while altering them to make them my own. In the early years I even took a couple shots at White Castles. One recipe called for adding veal baby food. I gave up on that one, and now they're at Safeway.

Started watching cooking shows in the 80's like Yan Can Cook, Justin Wilson, and the Frugal Gourmet.

Seems like I rotate through all my favorite things to cook every so often. Besides the ones mentioned above, Pizza, Barbeque, bread, Texas style chili, some Mexican, Philly steaks, Chinese.

Have you worked in the industry
Nope, always wanted to work in a pizza joint though.

Do you have any formal training
No, but I've been eating all my life.

Chef...no. Good cook...yes. Reproduce restaurant offerings...depends on what it is, I would sometimes need a cookbook as a starting point.

How often do you get out to eat
Not as much as I'd like. We live down near Corvallis so choices are limited, and it's hard to go out and get food that you feel you could have made better at home. We eat in Portland 3 to 4 times a month.

#50 ConQueso

ConQueso
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 03:34 PM

i've never posted before but thought this would be a good start.

what kind of work you do professionally?
manage consumer affairs for a natural foods company.

i think i just love to eat - i've always loved the sensory and social experience with food - from little on. i used to dance whenever i discovered something new that tasted amazing.

yes, years back, as a sous chef, chef, line cook and server.

nope. did an appreticeship with a chef from the bay area and went from there. wanted to go to culinary school but all the chefs i talked to said to jump into a restaurant and learn from the ground up - so that's what i did.

Do you consider yourself an able "chef" (like able to produce with good results much of what you eat in restaurants)? yes, most of the time. i'm continually inspired by all the amazing talent we have in this town.

4-5 x's/week

I was definitely born for food - but my skills are unpolished at this point from lack of practice and a desire to eat simply, but well.

#51 Jocelyn:McAuliflower

Jocelyn:McAuliflower
  • Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:sweet bakery goodness &amp; quirky food fun

Posted 17 October 2007 - 06:34 PM

I'm a research assistant up at OHSU for a lab that specializes in studying synapse development. And I manage lots and lots of zebrafish.

My Mom is an outstanding cook- savory and sweet. She is where I get my sweet tooth. I too strove to recreate my mother's dishes when I was out on my own- and never really cooked that much while living at home.

Never, but I'm very curious. I'm afraid of what the demand and stress would do to my cooking desire. One of these days I'd like to intern with a pastry chef as a test ride.

In regards to food- no. Yes in regards to science and art making (over 15 years experience making/firing ceramics).

Yes. I love taking home inspiration from a favorite restaurant meal. Also, trying to reconstruct a dish is a fun puzzle!

Goodness. Now that I'm in Portland, I'd say we go out to eat for dinner 2-4x a week. We always go out at least once for weekend breakfast. And lunch at work doesn't count in my book (Oh boy, hospital food!).

I think a combination of both. I was born to taste, and I bring my passion and creativity to it in my cooking.

#52 tonyajonemiller

tonyajonemiller
  • Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:51 AM

What kind of work you do professionally?
I've produced concerts and special events off and on for over a decade, although I only do one every couple of months these days. Now I am a professional actress (meaning I actually get paid, even if it's a pittance) and aural courtesan. Yes, that means phone sex operator.

My mother was light years ahead of her time and she raised us on a healthy, mostly vegetarian and organic diet. Though now I can appreciate her efforts, back then I yearned for meat, candy, and junk foods like my friends had. Plus, we couldn't afford to eat out very often. It's that whole "always wanting what you can't have" thing.

First "real" job was at Round Table- to this day, I refuse to eat their pizza. At 16, I got hired as the cashier for a lunch joint in a strip mall. On the second day I was the only one who showed up, so I figured out how to make the limited menu and ran the counter and the kitchen alone for three days before I quit. (People who owned the place have a successful restaurant still, it amazes me.) Worked at and managed LaLuna (in the building that now houses Biwa and Simpatica) almost the entire time it was open, though more on the concert side of things than the bar. Briefly had my own catering company specializing in craft service/meals for indie film shoots- got out of it by choice, not lack of clientele or demand.

Grow up poor with a single working mother and you learn how to cook or you starve.

Absolutely. I know how to adapt recipes and avoid/correct common mistakes. I can deconstruct a dish to ingredients and reconstruct it at home pretty easily, and what I lack in technique I make up for with effort. Trial and error, baby!

Once, sometimes twice a day. I do love to cook, but both H and I work from home. Meals are an excuse to get away from the computer and indulge my senses in the non-virtual world.

Born for it, no question. Sometimes I feel like I have rather pedestrian tastes, because due to my veg-heavy background, I'm not very adventurous when it comes to meat. I've tried over and over, but I just don't enjoy gamey things or organ meats...No lamb, venison, game hen, sweetbreads, or the like for me! But lingering over a long, luscious meal with good company, that is my idea of heaven.
Tonya (NSFW)
Chef Crush...Because I heart cooks...

#53 SauceSupreme

SauceSupreme
  • Members
  • 991 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:39 PM

I used to be an FPGA programmer for a network test equipment manufacturer. I'm currently studying to get my Cisco certification (CCNA first, then CCNP, then either CCIE-Security or CCIE-Voice).

My insomniac habit led me to watching Food Network late at night, back when they had Ming Tsai on the air. That led me, as they say, down the garden path.

Never full-time, though I have "pinch hit".

I took professional-level courses in Westlake Village, California, under the tutelage of someone who was very well connected with the Spago group.

Two things I would never do:
1) I would never claim the title of Chef
2) I would never order certain dishes at restaurants because I know I can do it better.
Does that answer it?

All the damn time.

I think having an affinity for food is a reflection of a lot of other aspects of your personality: your openness to new ideas and concepts, your ability to embrace other cultures and traditions, your sense of history and heritage in general, and your compassion and ability to share with others. So with that said, I'm proud to say that I was born for it.
"I'll settle for a cup of coffee, but you know what I really need." - REM

"Peel all of your layers off, I want to eat your artichoke heart." - Thom Yorke

http://lushangeles.com

#54 piggly_wiggly

piggly_wiggly
  • Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 04:17 PM

*groan*

I'm a mom. I intended to go to med school, had a surprise join our family, and decided I didn't want to go many zeroes into debt for the privilege of missing most of his childhood. So I became a SAHM. We lived in rural Texas, so I started homeschooling, which I loved. I have two other sons, one of whom is autistic, I homeshcool them as well. We also are former foster parents, and in the process of starting the process here in WA. So that is my "profession" as it were. A career will have to wait for a few years. That said, I'm trained as a childbirth educator teaching the childbirth hypnosis I used (a bit too successfully, my second son was born in the car, the third peacefully and pain-free at home, big difference from the nightmare that was the oldest, ow!). I'll be getting business going soon (I hope, we bought a new home, we're nesting, and finishing our foster care home study)

My taste buds? I don't know. I think I'm one of those supertasters, I can taste all kinds of off flavors others can't taste, I can't eat walnuts or pecans unless toasted, because I taste that bitter taste. I think I just like food. That's only half the answer though, being urban poor in the City of Angels is a foodie wonderland. Mom and I had no money, so we'd go to these cultural fairs. I used to be this stick skinny, blond, blue eyed big-cheeked shy little girl. I'd smell all these wondrous smells, and some Indian/Greek/Japanese/Russian/Equadoran Granny would see this obviously hungry, tiny little blond kid, and stuff me until I could barely walk, accompanied by lots of fussing and cheek pinching (gently!). With an introduction like that to the world of food (literally), who wouldn't become a foodie?

Mais non. Unless you count Wendy's or.... the Pizza knight place.... round table! I'm just a Mom with 4 hungry men of varying ages.

Well, no. But my Mom hated domestic duties of any sort, and became a vegetarian when I was quite young. Her idea of cooking dinner was to cut up veggies, potatoes, brussels sprouts, broccoli, and whatever other veggies she could find, douse well with margarine and curry powder, and top with yellow cheese. Dream dinners for a 7 year old.... UGH. So I learned to cook on my own at a very young age. Mom was not interested in teaching me, so I read cookbooks. Around this time my step-grandfather followed his passion and trained as a chef, classical. He, my two grandmothers, and my Aunt all taught me how to cook. I also discovered cooking shows at 16, starting with the Frugal Gourmet (say what you will, but he expanded my world!). I was hooked. Food Network may not be (well heck, we've been cable-free for years, I don't know what it's like now) but again, it expanded my horizons. Once I learned some of this hard stuff wasn't really so hard, I lost my fear, and just started cooking. So for that, I'm thankful. The internet was another epiphany. Especially since I like so many ethnic cuisines, and have had the privilege of having Mom style cooking from a number of countries (so I'm kinda picky). If I can't find a place that makes what I like, I research and experiment until I get it the way I remember.

Comparable to quality restaurants? On occasion. I have a pretty serious autoimmune disease, so between the pain, fatigue, side effects from meds, and the inflammation that cooking marathons causes.... it's harder than it was a few years ago. I tend to do upscale-ish, seasonal dishes when I entertain, and I'm definitely having to resort to deconstructing and simplifying more than I'd like, but people like my cooking.

Comparable to most restaurants? Yeah. My family hates eating out. They'd rather I cook. I think I shot myself in the foot there. :lol:

Not nearly as often as I'd like. Someday. B)

Actually, my girlfriends and I are talking about getting out one night a month. My husband is not a foodie, so I never go to foodie places except on special occasions. At once a month, I figure I'll wind my way through the PDX food scene sometime before I die (hopefully!). Or I could win the lottery, and I'd eat out 4-5 times a week.... Is it lame that my dreams of winning the lottery are all directly or indirectly food related?

I come from some interesting food traditions myself (stepmom was Mexican, Grandfather from Alabama by way of NOLA, German, Russian, French, Jewish, yes, I'm a mutt). I was exposed to a lot at an early age.

#55 Bragi

Bragi
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 10:35 PM

2nd generation software engineer.

There are three main factors which contributed to my love of food. Having grown up in New Orleans, I was raised in a culture with a deep rooted love of food. In addition, I was encouraged to try a variety of foods from different cultures and I've always been eager to try new and exciting dishes. I have always considered my grandfather to be a great chief, and his traditional New Orleans dishes will remain with me forever.

No, I have never worked in the food industry, but I have enjoyed the fruits of their labor. :blink:

No. I have no illusions of being able to prepare a gourmet meal. I leave that to the professionals.

I used to go out quite often but now that I have a family we go out about once a week and try a new restaurant at least once a month.

I inherited a rich culinary tradition which I hope to pass on to future generations.

#56 John J. Goddard

John J. Goddard
  • Members
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Anthropology, Gastronomy, Musicology, Linguistics

Posted 27 April 2008 - 04:41 AM

I cook and write professionally. I record music when time allows. I have business endeavors related to some of the cultural and culinary research I've done.

I began to grow bored with standard American fare at a very early age. I started stir-frying Asian stuff in my mom's wok when I was 7. First cookbooks were Chinese. I think it was looking at maps and globes that really got me interested in the world of food. National Geographic played a big hand in getting me interested in world cultures, and food is a pretty good way to learn more about a culture.

I have worked in kitchens for nearly twenty years. I've been a dishwasher. I've been an executive chef.

See previous answer. My knowledge base comes from lots of reading, adventurous shopping and experimenting. My skills come from lots of working, often in tiny, poorly equipped, chaotic or mismanaged kitchens. Occasionally there have been raving lunatics functioning as "chef" who only seem to make things worse. I've cooked in excellent fine dining establishments, a few real shitholes and everything between. I didn't study to be a French chef. I've learned to cook a wide variety of foods for a wide variety of tastes by working in all sorts of places.

If you must use that abominable nomenclature, then the answer is 'yes'.

Probably once a week or less. I prefer to cook my meals myself. It's a better value, and I'm seldom disappointed in the results.

I was born to enjoy a lot of things. Eating keeps me alive, but it often manages to be a pleasure in and of itself.
I am executive chef of «LUKA», a series of Balkan dining events in Portland. I also write for The Farmer General and teach private cooking classes. To remain abreast of my mind’s contents or lack thereof, you may follow me on Twitter @JohnJGoddard.

#57 alicia

alicia
  • Members
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:food, family, sleeping, cameras.

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:21 PM

oh good, i found an intro thread after poking around and posting for the last 2 days or so.

I'm a barista at a small cafe on woodstock. (not pappacinos. ha!) I'm also a freelance photographer with a focus on food and domestic living.

I don't really know. Probably growing up surrounded by picky eaters who eat nothing but gross junk food and processed garbage. I started wanting to try new things as a teenager.

My first job was at a farm, then Mike's Drive-in. I've only worked in food, except for a small, awful stint at a cigarette shop when I was 18. I've done front of house and back of house, and I don't know if I have a preference yet. I've been a barista for the last 5 years and I like it a lot. My favorite thing is steaming milk and pouring fancy latte art.

No, but my husband went to culinary school, so I'm constantly bugging him for tips.

Sometimes, depending on what I want. I am certainly able to cook things that *I* enjoy eating, though I don't know about everyone else. Going from being vegetarian for 10 years to eating meat, I'm always terrified of food poisoning, and I have a tendency to overcook my poultry, so I usually leave that stuff up to the husband.

As often as I can, with a toddler and crippling student loan debt, haha! (we try to do a date at least once or twice a month)

I love food. Everyone should have to work at what they like, right?

#58 benchland

benchland
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 11:19 AM

Maybe things like what kind of work you do professionally? Own, manage my restaurant
What got you interested in food? working in the wine industry
Have you worked in the industry, if so at what level? in addition to above, certified sommelier
Do you have any formal training or practical? formal only only on the wine side
Do you consider yourself an able "chef" (like able to produce with good results much of what you eat in restaurants)? not myself but my better half is a chef w/ 20 years experience in Napa, SF and OR coast
How often do you get out to eat? 1-2 times a week

#59 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,658 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 01 October 2008 - 02:12 PM

Maybe things like what kind of work you do professionally? Own, manage my restaurant
What got you interested in food? working in the wine industry
Have you worked in the industry, if so at what level? in addition to above, certified sommelier
Do you have any formal training or practical? formal only only on the wine side
Do you consider yourself an able "chef" (like able to produce with good results much of what you eat in restaurants)? not myself but my better half is a chef w/ 20 years experience in Napa, SF and OR coast
How often do you get out to eat? 1-2 times a week

Welcome to the board, bench!

#60 benchland

benchland
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 03:38 PM

Thanks for the welcome Angelhair! :blink:
I've been lurking here for a few months and decided to take the plunge. The rec's from here have helped us find some great food when we venture to Portland as well as some much needed culture. I feel quite comfortable with the layout as one of my wine boards also uses invision.