• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 keittiomestari

keittiomestari
  • Members
  • 295 posts
  • Interests:Life, food history, organic chemistry, wines, distilling, music

Posted 26 November 2006 - 05:50 AM

Since I am fairly new to the board I thought it would be fun to see what the background is of people who post here. If it has been covered before where the thread!

Maybe things like what kind of work you do professionally?
What got you interested in food?
Have you worked in the industry, if so at what level?
Do you have any formal training or practical?
Do you consider yourself an able "chef" (like able to produce with good results much of what you eat in restaurants)?
How often do you get out to eat?
Were you born for food or do you have to work at what you like!
Kiippis!

#2 keittiomestari

keittiomestari
  • Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 07:34 AM

Ok so I can go first then,,,,,,,,

What kind of work you do professionally? Restaurant worker.

What got you interested in food? It was all around me, parents, grandparents liked to cook, loved forraging, fishing and all of that.

Have you worked in the industry, if so at what level? Yes, many different levels in all parts of "the house"

Do you have any formal training or practical? Some yes. Enough to get by in nearly any kitchen I walk into.

Do you consider yourself an able "chef" (like able to produce with good results much of what you eat in restaurants)? For the most part yeah.

How often do you get out to eat? I get paid for it, so often.

Were you born for food or do you have to work at what you like! Not sure since it is a labor of love.
Kiippis!

#3 katez0r

katez0r
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 10:32 AM

well, no one here knows me, and I'd like to get to know people, so here goes:

what kind of work you do professionally?

I'm a florist, and a student.

I just love eating it, and then a year ago or so I started reading food blogs. Now it's an obsession.

haha, I worked in a Safeway deli my first year in Portland. Now I work in a natural food store, does that count?

I am formally trained on how to slice a vast assortment of low-quality deli meats. Some of which turn to slime after slicing. Ew.

Do you consider yourself an able "chef" (like able to produce with good results much of what you eat in restaurants)? No Way. I enjoy baking more then cooking, but I don't ever try anything adventurous at home because I'm still learning the basics.

Once a week or so, but I stick to cheap eats, except for a few times a year.

I seem to have a knack for making some seriously tasty baked goods, but I don't know if it's me or my recipe following ability.

#4 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 26 November 2006 - 11:10 AM

I'm a common office drone.

I LOVE to eat. I have never done anything remotely professional that has to do with food except for ordering lunches or making reservations for business meetings.

I love to eat out as much as possible at fine dining establishments.

I'm currently laid up at home so I have been cooking a lot of comfort food. Primarily crockpot dinners. I'm no chef and not necessarily a great cook, but I do OK for the two of us. I've never been very good at baking, really, unless it's quiche.

I live to eat, not the other way around, but every so often I get a wild hair up my heiney and decide to do things in a more healthy fashion. I'll probably get that way again after the holidays.

PortlandFood.org has really expanded my horizons as far as eating. I've always been an adventurous eater, as a general rule, but I am even more so after going out with the wonderful folks in this food group. Come on out with us!

Best regards,

Amanda

#5 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,595 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 26 November 2006 - 11:26 AM

Here's 'who' I am:

"Maybe things like what kind of work you do professionally?"
I have been a housewife for about 10 years. Before that I worked as a managing editor for a small publishing house.

"What got you interested in food?"
I started cooking after I got married. Lacking a creative outlet, I guess I put it into food. Also, we travel a lot. So eating various far flung places really piqued my interest in 'exotic' cuisine.

"Have you worked in the industry, if so at what level?"
Throughout college and even during my first couple of years working in a 'real' job, I worked in restaurants. I have waited tables, bartended, was a hostess, checked coats...anything FOH that you can imagine.

"Do you have any formal training or practical?"
Nope, all home schooled

"Do you consider yourself an able "chef" (like able to produce with good results much of what you eat in restaurants)?"
Absolutely not, though I do make a mean pesto and my apple pie has been called 'the best I have ever tasted' by a lady in my book club!

"How often do you get out to eat?"
At least twice a week, often more.

"Were you born for food or do you have to work at what you like!"
I am a hedonist by nature, so gluttony is a small step away from that!

#6 ks95008

ks95008
  • Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 11:52 AM

Work/Profession - engineer/lawyer (the lawyer part is secondary)

Food interest origin - my parents, who had educated palates and encouraged food interest in their 3 kids

Industry work - busser/dishwasher in several middle level "white
tablecloth" restaurants in college (graduated in 1970)

formal training - none

Ability level - decent home cook

Dining out frequency - at least 5 times per week at all ranges of
quality and price. I usually only eat one major meal per day.

Born for food? - I don't know. I find that holding back from food focuses my appreciation of it when I *do* eat. I enjoy reading about food/dining more than I enjoy actually eating.

#7 chris pez

chris pez
  • Members
  • 878 posts
  • Interests:music, food, italy, history, little kids who make me laugh

Posted 26 November 2006 - 02:01 PM

well, my last job was as a gis analyist. now i'm a professional ne-er do well.

the funness of creation.

dishwasher to banquet cook to pantry chef to line cook.

i graduated from the horst mager culinary institute which now only lives in the long memories of some portlanders.

Do you consider yourself an able "chef" (like able to produce with good results much of what you eat in restaurants)?

not any more.

hm. five times a week? mostly low-brow places.

i had to work baby. i had to fight a lot of genetic and cultural fondness for trailer food. i'm not a natural. although now i find myself in a place where i can appriciate a top-shelf restaurant, the $3.95 special at fuller's, and popeye's fried chicken. the apple doesn't fall far from the trailer.
foodshedpsx is dead. as is god. and elvis. and george burns. and you and me too soon enough.

#8 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,601 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 26 November 2006 - 02:58 PM

What kind of work you do professionally?
By day I am a web designer for a software engineering firm. By night I freelance for small(er) clients.

A few things contributed. My parents, especially my Mom. We also lived overseas much of my early years and traveled. And I worked in restaurants/hotels in high school/college/post, and that helped foment an interest.

Various waiting jobs — including front waiter in old skool fine dining, health spa dining room server, and as a banquet/catering server in La Jolla. I also once helped a friend of mine (who was a professional cook) cater a wedding for 200 people and that made me realize I could never cook professionally.

No.

Do you consider yourself an able "chef...
No in the least.

...(like able to produce with good results much of what you eat in restaurants)?
On the high end? Probably not. On the low end? Perhaps.

Two times a week. I cook for myself much of the time and usually take my lunch to work.

I eat everything for the most part except animal parts with strange textures.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#9 LadyConcierge

LadyConcierge

All Bowie, All the Time

• Members
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 03:32 PM

As my name might suggest, I'm a professional Concierge, formerly at the Marriott City Center, currently at Atwater Place in the South Waterfront.

My mom was a great home cook. I liked duplicating her recipes as I got older. Now, trying new restaurants the best part of my job.

I started at age 14 slingin' pizzas at Papa Murphy's (then Papa Aldo's), moved on to manager. At the Marriott I often worked the breakfast buffet, banquet server, cocktail server, and hostess.

Nope.

Nope, that's why I go out.

Two or three times a week, cheap. Once every two weeks, fancy.

My parents like to tell the story about how they could never leave the butter on the table, because I would creep out of my high chair and be eating it straight by the handful. I haven't changed much since.

#10 aguynamedrobert

aguynamedrobert
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 11:02 PM

I am a chocolate connoisseur you might say...I own and opperate my own chocolate website's and do chocolate tastings.

Me and my mother cooking cheesecakes once a week for friends...

Yes...I have worked for Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory as a Confectioner and my own work as well...

Yes...Western Culinary Institute in Portland

Well I do Chocolate. I can do normal desserts but am definitley not as good at that as I am working with chocolate.

Once a week...I need to get out more lol...

I have had to work at it hard. I did not get into it till I was about 19

-Robert
www.chocolateguild.com
www.chocolatiernoel.com

#11 vj

vj
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 06:22 AM

I'm a webmaster at a nonprofit.

I've always been interested in food!

I worked as a waitress, assistant manager and cook at various low-end places in my teens and twenties.

Nope.

Not really, no. A good cook, yes.

Way too often.

Do I have a good palate? No, not necessarily. I was a notoriously picky kid, and while I eat a whole lot more than I used to (in both senses of the word), I'm still notoriously picky -- I want what I like. I just like a whole lot more now.

#12 Joisey

Joisey
  • Members
  • 540 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 08:46 AM

Senior Sous Chef at The Portland Hilton, before that Executive Chef at The View Point Inn and Grolla. I have also been a Nightclub Bouncer, DJ, done Bail Bonds collecting and a few other things I probably shouldn't discuss.

Got a bad report card when I was in High School, so I thought I should try to lessen my parents' anger with some good news (getting a job at a Restaurant). I liked the challenge and the quirky lifestyle so I pursued it.

Lowly line cook to Executive Chef

CIA Graduate 1991

Absolutely. The learning curve of a Chef is infinite but I'm at a point where I feel I'm well-versed in enough facets of the profession to be succesful. Waiting for the right opportunity.

Money is tight and I have a large family, so not as often as I'd like.

There are some parts of running a kitchen that are very intuitive for me, but I've worked my ass off to develop the skills I have.

#13 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 09:41 AM

Do you have any formal training or practical? Some yes, Michelin 3 star (4 times), train with 3 different Culinary Olympic Team for different countries, obtained Michelin Stars but proudly refused them, little bits of stuff like that.

Om...I don't understand - You worked in 4 - Michelin 3-star restaurants, and you obtained and refused Michelin stars? Huh? :)
signature

#14 keittiomestari

keittiomestari
  • Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 11:36 AM

Do you have any formal training or practical? Some yes, Michelin 3 star (4 times), train with 3 different Culinary Olympic Team for different countries, obtained Michelin Stars but proudly refused them, little bits of stuff like that.

Om...I don't understand - You worked in 4 - Michelin 3-star restaurants, and you obtained and refused Michelin stars? Huh? :)

Yes your highness,,,,,
I have worked at 4 different Michelin 3 star places in the past.

Two of the places I have worked as either Chef de Cuisine or Sous have been offered star ratings, one 2 star the other 1 star but we said no thanks.
Given my location now, it is not part of the culture to boast about accomplishments and being listed on some michelin list is not something they wanted to have happen so in these two places the owners graciously requested to be left out of the red guide. They didnt want to have the "stuffiness" that is sometimes associated with a high ranking. Especially by outsiders like the French. It was enough to make the customers happy and go on with what we do. The customers pay the bills not the red guide.
Maybe it is outside your thinking or understanding. I dont know.
Kiippis!

#15 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 12:21 PM

I wasn't doubting you, I just thought it unusual to have a restaurant turn down Michelin, as well as for someone to have worked at 4 different Michelin 3-star restaurants. I'm impressed - Which were they?
signature

#16 keittiomestari

keittiomestari
  • Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 01:41 PM

George Blanc- A great let down really. Nothing like it was said to HAVE been back in the day. Superbly clean though. But with so many working how could it not be!

Le Pont de Brent- A much better and modern take on food as well as smaller staff than Blanc. Rabaey has the desire and ability to stick around awhile.

La Maison de Mark Veyrat- I remember reading about him many years ago and the cahnces he took to keep to his ideas. I was intrigued with what he did with the food from his surroundings. Opened up my eyes and ideas of what is possible. Some of it though was a little to thought out for me, but still came away with alot.

L’Esperance with Marc Meneau- An interesting mix of ideas, some more classic than others. Again I chise Burgundy due to the similiarities of home. He at least wasnt so uptight to as not use seafood from the coast. Some of the other places looked down on that.

As far as the other places, well,,,,,, the will stay close to my chest. One nice thing has been seeing and meeting different wine people and makers. It helps keep my little collection interesting.
Kiippis!

#17 Sabra

Sabra
  • Members
  • 401 posts
  • Interests:Food, wine, tennis, fun

Posted 27 November 2006 - 02:12 PM

I have had the indescribable pleasure of dining at Marc Veyrat's and am suitably impressed that you worked there. (If you ever forget one of his recipes and need to borrow my autographed cookbook of his A Forkful of Magic, I'll be happy to lend it :) ).

Cheese lover that I am, I had a photo of the cheese cart from the restaurant as my desktop screen for a while! :wub: The whole experience was incredible. My husband (in the hotel business) was so happy and impressed, he took (at different times) his mother and both of our sons there too.

Well worth a trip, but beware all, it is the 2nd most expensive meal we've had (most in Tokyo)!

#18 Jamesongrrl

Jamesongrrl
  • Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:Tied for first: Travel & Food & Motorcycles (particularly my BMW 650 GS)

Posted 27 November 2006 - 03:49 PM

I work for a non-profit.

I have always been interested in food.

Pedaled drinks in an Irish bar for a year.

None.

I'm able. I like to try to re-create hard dishes, though I feel that my true foundations are somewhat weak. (Good knife skills, intimate knowledge of exactly what spice to use with a dish etc.)

For lunch- 2 or 3 times. For breakfast/dinner, 2 or 3 times a week. Really fancy about once every 2 or 3 months.

Since I was a child I hid food in my room, raided the refrigerator in the middle of the night and couldn't stay away from the kitchen when mom was cooking. (I think my meals are better than hers now but the attraction for being in the kitchen was always there.)
Until I met this group of wonderful people I never met ANYONE who had such a personal relationship with food as I. Glad to be with kindred spirits.
Jamesongrrl
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

#19 mczlaw

mczlaw
  • Members
  • 570 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 11:03 PM

Lawyer, food writer, bread baker. Not much income from the second two--so far.

College in L.A.; living in London during college and law school.

Does washing dishes at a restaurant while in high school count? (I was bad at it. Still am.)

Bread baking classes. Reading classic culinary texts. Travel. Serious eating.

I am a better than average baker and a competent cook, but no chef.

Somewhere in excess of 10 times per week; 6-7 dinners, 4-5 lunches. Not big on breakfast or brunch.

Neither. It was an acquired skill, but I have become better at it over the years

Side note #1: keittiomestari, nice resume. If I haven't already done so, I want to eat where you are cooking.

Side note #2: Thx for starting this thread. It will be interesting to hear from the regular contributors who have not yet come forward.

--mcz

#20 Sabra

Sabra
  • Members
  • 401 posts
  • Interests:Food, wine, tennis, fun

Posted 28 November 2006 - 08:19 AM

I am currently looking at retail space to open a cheese/specialty food store in the Yamhill Wine Valley.

Being the 2nd oldest of 6 kids, we did a lot of casserole cooking growing up. I married a Belgian (hotelier) whose parents owned/operated the largest catering business in Belgium. They are all food lovers, and I learned to eat/drink very happily. For the last odd 30 years, we have traveled all over the world and enjoyed many different kinds of cuisine (yup, we used the red Michelin guide to find those restaurants to eat in!).

Have you worked in the industry, if so, at what level?
Worked as a waitress at a nice restaurant in high school; when out in the workforce, worked in a hotel (front of the house); cheese shop one summer; own casual catering business for 2 years; and last year worked part-time (onsite/kitchen) for a large catering company.

Nope other than a class here and there.

I love to cook and to entertain but I would not consider myself even close to being a "Chef". I love to try different things in restaurants and at times try to recreate their good flavors. Not always successful, but do end up with results that are happily edible!

For lunch 1-2 times a week, dinner the same . . . more fancy -- about once a month.

I have always loved food (therefore married properly :D ).

Keittiomestari, I agree with mcz's side note #1 and #2!

Sabra