Anyone know where to get...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 thanschka

thanschka
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 08:15 PM

Hi - I'm new to this forum but have quickly become an addict. Thanks for all the fabulous posts.

Now onto my rather random question. My wonderful mother is making vietnamese fondue this Sunday (msg, you'd probaby recognize this as the fondue-like course in bo 7 mon but I don't know the english translation for it). We are in need of one of those portable gas stoves to cook the broth at the table. Last time she made this, my brother and I managed to set her old one on fire so it's needing replacing. :?

So... anyone know where we can pick up one of these?

#2 Jamesongrrl

Jamesongrrl
  • Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:Tied for first: Travel & Food & Motorcycles (particularly my BMW 650 GS)

Posted 24 March 2005 - 07:50 AM

If you don't mind it not being highly 'cuisine' oriented you can easily get portable gas stoves at almost any outdoor store. Some with one burner or two....
These also come in handy during power outages. :D

#3 RM

RM
  • Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 10:08 AM

They're also available at restaurant supply places. I've seen them at Bargreen & Ellington which is pretty much across the street from Portland Brewing in the NW industrial area off Hwy 30.

www.bargreen.com

3232 NW Industrial. 503-274-9764.

#4 vrunka

vrunka
  • Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 11:02 AM

I bet you can even get them at a place like Target or Freddy's, especially if a gas camping stove will suffice. But if you want the real deal, then restaurant supply stores are probably the way to go. Wong's King has an amazingly sturdy looking version of the tabletop stove for their clay pots -- maybe you could ask them where they buy theirs?

BTW, I've always called that dish "Beef Seven Ways."

#5 thanschka

thanschka
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 01:19 PM

Thank you guys! I think the restaurant supply place might just be the route to go.

And we're only doing one of the seven ways, which has it's own name and that's the one I don't know the english translation for.... except just yummy!

#6 quackyduck

quackyduck
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 10:37 PM

probably high priced but maybe authentic

#7 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 24 March 2005 - 11:35 PM

Welcome to the board.

GI Joe's, especially with summer coming up, always has an excellent selection of camp stoves, from tiny little things, to high BTU cast-iron grate monsters. Usually very good prices.

Welcome, btw. I think I saw your MSN blog links to us and put you on the web links.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's