Hapa Grill

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 daawgon

daawgon
  • Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 10:30 PM

Hapa Grill is that very rare gem of a place that serves an eclectic mix of healthy, Asian food at rock bottom prices. I ordered the Hawaiian style Kalua Pork with 3 sides (gratin potatoes, Asian Coleslaw and brown rice) and a large Sobe pina colada fruit drink for the grand total of $7.75. The plate was very full and of excellent quality. The pork was lightly smoked and without a trace of fat. It was served with 2 different dipping sauces as well. The grill is located in the Murray Hill Market Place in S. Beaverton (look for the sign of the Safeway gas station when driving on Murray Blvd. just north of SW Scholls Ferry). Here's a few highlights from their menu:

Appetizers ($2. to 6.):
Steamed Shrimp and Pork Dumplings
BBQ Baby Back Ribs
Coconut Panko Shrimp
Island Style Yellowfin Ahi Poke Roll

Sandwiches/Salads & Noodles ($4. to 8.):
Kalua Pork Sand. or Bulggogi Burger (taro fries and slaw)
Garlic Butter Seafood Shanghai Noodles

Entrees w/3 sides ($5. to 9.):
Lemongrass BBQ 1/2 Roast Chicken
Ginger Dark Soy Braised Pork Pot Roast
Kalua Pork
Macadamia Nut Crusted Mahi Mahi
Teriyaki Grilled Salmon
Thai Curry Grilled Tiger Prawns

Side Dishes:
white/brown rice
gratin potatoes
yakisoba noodles
macaroni salad
seared tofu
steamed Asian veg.
grilled mixed veg.
organic field greens
Asian slaw
Kim Chee

14625 SW Teal Blvd.
Beaverton 97007
503-590-7800

my rating based on 1 lunch...9.2 (out of 10) :o :wub: :wub:

#2 ToyMan

ToyMan
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 07:05 AM

I also thought it was nice.

I had the Bulggogi Burger and taro fries. Nice asian flavor to the burger. It was the first I have had taro fries and while they were good, I don't think I am ready to give up on french fries.

On a later trip I had the BBQ ribs. I thought they were outstanding. Perfectly cooked with great texture and a nice teriyaki flavor.

Toy Man

#3 Rifleman69

Rifleman69
  • Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 09:43 AM

Hapa is good food, had their steak (top menu item on the right side of the big menu on the wall), pretty good for the flavor and texture...my beef is that it seemed pretty small in the to-go order with the three choices of sides that come along with it.

I'll try the ribs the next time.

#4 SarahWS

SarahWS
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 11:51 AM

I checked out this place with my sister a few weeks ago. Despite its location in suburban traffic hell, we decided we would definitely be back.

Standouts were: the Spam Musubi, kalua pork, coconut shrimp, and the ribs

Good but not amazing: terriyaki steak, macaroni salad, both sushi rolls, and the steamed dumplings

Haven't had such good Spam Musubi since I lived in Hawaii. Made fresh, rice was the correct consistency, and they had marinated the spam (essential to cutting the fat). Uwagimaya makes spam musubi, but to follow health rules, it's refrigerated which ruins the texture of the rice. In Hawaii, there's actually a musubi exception to the Health Codes to allow it not to be refrigerated.

Sarah

#5 daawgon

daawgon
  • Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:54 PM

Hey Sarah,

What exactly is Spam Musubi? This is a new one for me. I also asked about the possibility of adding Saimin to their menu, and was told that this was in the works.

I also wanted to add that the people who work here are really great!

#6 tuckerdog

tuckerdog
  • Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 02:21 PM

Rifleman69
Between AVSforum and here, you are a busy boy;-)

#7 SarahWS

SarahWS
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 09:19 PM

The sushi purist in me winces to say this, but it's basically spam sushi. Picture 1/4 in slap of fried spam (often marinated in terriyaki or soy sauce) on a block of rice wrapped in seaweed. It's about 1 inches wide and 3 inches long (or the dimensions of a spam can).

The staff were amazingly nice, the aloha spirit I remember from when I lived there. Plus they have a larger selection of hawaiian sodas than Uwagimaya.

Sarah

#8 Rifleman69

Rifleman69
  • Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 09:25 PM

Had the ribs tonight along with the coconut milk shrimp. Very very good.

#9 SarahWS

SarahWS
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 09:38 PM

I also asked about the possibility of adding Saimin to their menu, and was told that this was in the works.

That will be great! Every Wednesday, we had Saimin for lunch at my school. Yummy yummy! Even McDonald's serves it in Hawaii. Fish cake, bean curd, egg, and wheat noodles in Pork broth. They have it at Noho's but I wouldn't recommend it.

Sarah

#10 truth

truth
  • Members
  • 629 posts
  • Interests:scientist, artist, philanthropist, industrialist, bicyclist

Posted 14 November 2006 - 02:45 PM

Just went here for lunch and it was great. The place is very clean, the kahlua pork was salty but delicious (i love salt), spam musubi was great and the mac salad was also pretty good. I'll definitely be back. There's also a "Beaverton Bakery Express" next door that sells Torrefazzione coffee (Their shops are gone but i guess the beans live on?).
(modern signature COMING SOON)

#11 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 03:16 PM

There's also a "Beaverton Bakery Express" next door that sells Torrefazzione coffee (Their shops are gone but i guess the beans live on?).

We still get Torrefazzione coffee at work.

Does anyone know if Hapa Grill has coconut cake? I drove by here a few weeks ago and I might have to go back and check it out.

#12 chris pez

chris pez
  • Members
  • 878 posts
  • Interests:music, food, italy, history, little kids who make me laugh

Posted 14 November 2006 - 03:18 PM

There's also a "Beaverton Bakery Express" next door that sells Torrefazzione coffee (Their shops are gone but i guess the beans live on?).

We still get Torrefazzione coffee at work.

torrefazzione is now a subsidiary of starbucks. i hear that coffee people is also going that way soon.
foodshedpsx is dead. as is god. and elvis. and george burns. and you and me too soon enough.

#13 daawgon

daawgon
  • Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 03:26 PM

I found this ariticle about Spam Musubi:

http://whatscookinga...istory/Spam.htm

#14 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 07:20 PM

That would suck about Coffee People. There was a heated conversation when Coffee People lost the contract for premium coffee where I work to Starbucks.

I also have a soft spot for the original Coffee People because I was one of the winners in their coffee poetry contest in the early 90s. I still have the chapbook and the latte farthings given to winners were spent quickly.

#15 chris pez

chris pez
  • Members
  • 878 posts
  • Interests:music, food, italy, history, little kids who make me laugh

Posted 14 November 2006 - 07:30 PM

That would suck about Coffee People. There was a heated conversation when Coffee People lost the contract for premium coffee where I work to Starbucks.

I also have a soft spot for the original Coffee People because I was one of the winners in their coffee poetry contest in the early 90s. I still have the chapbook and the latte farthings given to winners were spent quickly.

i have a soft spot 'cause when those two hippies (the ones on the origional logo) were running the sunken store on 23rd they would make me laugh on occasion.

here's the skinny on the buyout:
bye bye coffee people, hello starbucks.
foodshedpsx is dead. as is god. and elvis. and george burns. and you and me too soon enough.

#16 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 06:18 AM

Since we're way off topic anyway.....

Buried in the last part of the article linked to by Chris Pez is that "the two hippies" are alive and well in NE Portland on Fremont at about 51st.

Jim and Patty's Coffee a great family friendly coffee spot with great house baked pastries. For all of you Stumptown fan's it's the house coffee.

One of the things they sold when they sold Coffee People was the right to their image - the old hippie couple logo that used to grace all things "Coffee People"

#17 daawgon

daawgon
  • Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 09:10 PM

I had the Teriyaki BBQ Baby Backs tonight - something else! That pig must have been on steroids for sure. I also ordered the Ginger Glazed Pork, and out came 2 huge plates of food. I really don't know why they don't take the ribs off the appetizer menu because they're entree sized. My bill came to $14. this time.

If the guy from Hapa is reading this, one hint: the place needs a few palms around, and the music selection should be an island theme.

very, very good!

#18 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:48 PM

Anybody been here recently? We are debating here or Yuzu (I think I remembered that right) for tomorrow night. I am looking for good, moderate, and someplace we haven't been before. Still S. Beavertron is a trek from my humble abode.

#19 Rifleman69

Rifleman69
  • Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 04:50 PM

Anybody been here recently? We are debating here or Yuzu (I think I remembered that right) for tomorrow night. I am looking for good, moderate, and someplace we haven't been before. Still S. Beavertron is a trek from my humble abode.

Was there about a week ago, had the chicken? (top entree on the right side of the menu, I lost track of what it was) but I do know that I enjoyed it. Portions are good-size, you won't go hungry.

#20 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 08:28 AM

since i live about 1000ft away(really!LOL)i eat here about once a week,and its usually pretty solid. the chicken dish i think your refering to is the half lemongrass chicken(8$)served with two sides. a lot of food and its very tasty and of the three or four times ive had it the breast has never been assaulted as is the usual treatment at most teriyaki joints! and as a bonus, they do a decent job on spam musubi!:-)
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"