Photo

Seaside or Cannon beach recommendations?

• Please log in to reply
234 replies to this topic

#81 syrahgirl

syrahgirl
  • Banned
  • 626 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 04:26 PM

Had yet another wonderful seafood meal at Ship Inn last night. The shrimp salad and the halibut fish and chips were wonderful. This place remains so consistent through the years. We've been going here for about 16 plus years now. I finally had a chance to sample their marionberry pie which was very good, I took some back to the house and warmed it up with some Tillamook Vanilla Bean ice cream which was great.

We stopped by the Bowpicker after church today and tried the TUNA fish and chips were different. Not bad, just different than what we're used to at Ship Inn. Clam Chowder was also great at Ship Inn.

We strolled through the Sunday Market and I found a place that sells some GREAT crab cakes. Two for $5, served with some good sauces. The booth next door was selling clam linguine for $7/plate which looked really yummy. Also picked up a great bottle of Caponata. They sell a Spicy Vegetarian which is great.

#82 syrahgirl

syrahgirl
  • Banned
  • 626 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 11:10 AM

:) Dinner last night at Bigfoot Pub & Grub was again wonderful. The bruschetta was excellent, we took a bottle of our Syrah in again, which has now aged very nicely. The ribs were excellent, service very good and an overall great experience. A little rustic, yes, but VERY good food going on here and Bigfoot just knows how to do it right. We were given the bruschetta free of charge since our waitress forgot to bring it out before our entree which was nice. Kudos to Bigfoot Pub& Grub. Enjoyed a nice bike ride down the prom after dinner and found a cool place to have breakfast, The Seaside Inn which is a B&B located right on the prom with oceanview rooms.

#83 syrahgirl

syrahgirl
  • Banned
  • 626 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 10:11 AM

We decided to give the Shilo a try. My husband had no complaints about his filet mignon, but I ordered the Hazelnut Encrusted Halibut that was not so good. A very large portion, but no flavor and just plain boring. The sides were good, garlic mashers and steamed veggies. Salad was fresh and service was good. We won't be going back for dinner, very pricey for what we got. Appetizers and a glass of wine in the afternoon is good here. Save your dinner meals for somewhere in Cannon Beach or Astoria.

We also tried Dundee Bar & Grill for the pizza. Big thumbs down, Pizza Hut is better. We will be trying the pizza at Pacific Way Bakery & Cafe soon, in Gearhart. Dinner last night at Bigfoot was again great. Sam's Seaside Cafe has also been a great place for a casual lunch. Very good coconut prawns, chowder and crab melts here, full of fresh, fresh crab in a fun little beachy atmosphere in Seaside, right off the Turnaround.

#84 syrahgirl

syrahgirl
  • Banned
  • 626 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 04:54 PM

AFter some homemade crab melts at the cottage, we went to Cannon Beach on this cool, rainy day. We enjoyed Lattes and goodies from the Cannon Beach Bakery. Hazelnut brownies, yum! We browsed the art galleries and shopped. Such a delightful town, the pizza at Pizza a Feta smelled so yummy!

#85 pdxnewbie

pdxnewbie
  • Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 02:36 PM

I got this list for dining at the Oregon Coast, figured I would post it here .. The title is More than Mo's :blush:
( no mention of Pub & Grub either..but there are a few familiar ( to me) names here)

The Bay House
Lincoln City www.bayhouserestaurant.com
( spectacular view, inspired dishes, imaginative wine pairings and fantastic )

The Inn at Spanish Head
Lincoln City www.spanishhead.com
( Sunday Champagne Brunch, dramatic oceanviewing dining, extensive menu with good choices for vegetarians)

Salishan Spa & Golf Resort
Gleneden Beach Or www.salishan.com
( The Salishan Dining Room, The Old World style Wine Cellar, Upstairs , the Attic, the Sunroom and the Club House- all serving wonderful PNW cuisine)

Oceanus
Depoe Bay
( "Spectacular views, unerring attention to detail, the restaurant provides the same measure of delight)"

Embarcadero Resort hotel & Marina
Newport www.embarcadero-resort.com
(Can't beat it for ambience)

Saffron Salomn
Newport"
(Chef owned, made a splash with the locals..simple, fresh and local ")

Panache
Newport
Old English , plenty of details -flowers, white table linens and a mouthwatering menu.)

#86 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 02:43 PM

"Oceanus
Depoe Bay
( "Spectacular views, unerring attention to detail, the restaurant provides the same measure of delight)""

Or, as we like to call it, "The Ocean's Anus"

Lord that was a sickening (literally) and horriffic meal. The view IS great, but you can get that for free and without the attitude, lousy food, nausea, diarrhea and vomiting.

The best places I have ever found to eat arpound Lincoln City/Gleneden are Blackfish Cafe (dinner only), Wildflower Grill (prefer it for lunch over bkfast or dinner), Otis Cafe (breakfast or lunch), and Side Door Cafe.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#87 pdxnewbie

pdxnewbie
  • Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 02:46 PM

Oh Gawd, I will never be able to think of that name in any other way now LOL

Well, since I am still so new here, the Coast restaurants are unchartered territory for us. I will remember what you said. ( like I can erase it from my mind? LOL )

#88 syrahgirl

syrahgirl
  • Banned
  • 626 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 04:51 PM

We will be trying JP's in Cannon Beach soon. It has mixed reviews, we'll see! :blush:

#89 wineangel

wineangel
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:14 PM

All I have to say about Cannon Beach Restaurants is "Way over Priced and crappy food that came off a Sysco truck".
I will never waste my money at Stephanie Inn again. Our meat was way over cooked, salads and soup horrifying, and desert was the best part and it was okay. You're basically paying for overpriced banquet food and that is never good.
The Bistro is almost good in the off season, but horrible in the on season. Not worth it.
Newman's at 988 is the only exception to the icky food in Cannon Beach and we frequent it because of this fact. I just hope he can keep it together. From what I've heard he's already working on other projects and isn't there every night. Their first couses are great and I highly recommend the lobster ravioli, the Mushroom polenta is awesome (I get this entree sized), the Foie Gras Pasta is great, and the man makes great soups! Entrees are uninspired. Had the lamb, came with Mire Poix, don't most people just throw that away? Hubby had beef, it was actually pretty decent, we just order first courses now though. Oh, gnocchi, aweful, please don't order them, I couldn't eat them. Really good cheese cake. Bread is hit and miss.
Nice small wine list but with good offerings.

#90 syrahgirl

syrahgirl
  • Banned
  • 626 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:24 PM

We enjoyed our meal at Newman's awhile back. My daughter is hooked on their chocolate Pot de Creme there. Very good! We would get it to go a few nights and take it back to enjoy at our beach cottage. I love the ambiance at Newman's, very intimate, I dined with my husband there. :blush:

#91 syrahgirl

syrahgirl
  • Banned
  • 626 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 06:15 PM

wineangel, what do you think of Bistro (not to be confused with Gower St. Bistro @ the CB Hotel.) :)

#92 hidenseek

hidenseek
  • Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 07:17 AM

We will be trying JP's in Cannon Beach soon. It has mixed reviews, we'll see! :)

What did you think of JP's, and how do you think it stacks up to other Cannon Beach restaurants?

#93 AnnieTea

AnnieTea
  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:03 AM

We ate at JP's a couple of months ago and thought it was great. Went with the waitress' recommendation (Halibut for me, Steak for Brian) and loved it, same with the dessert, but their wine was nothing to write home about.

#94 syrahgirl

syrahgirl
  • Banned
  • 626 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 11:04 AM

Do you know what their corkage fee is a JP's? We will take in our wine, depending on what we think we will order. :)

#95 hidenseek

hidenseek
  • Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 11:15 AM

So you haven't made it there yet, syrahgirl? I had lunch there a couple months ago, and thought we might compare notes. Didn't check the corkage fee though, since I usually don't take my own bottles to restaurants. Sounds like you take your own bottles practically everywhere you go. Any particular reason why?

When are you coming back to Oregon? And for how long? With all the restaurants on your "list", at the coast, in wine country, and in Portland, it sounds like you might be dining non-stop. :)

#96 pdxnewbie

pdxnewbie
  • Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 12:23 PM

With the selectons of Oregon wines in all the restaurants around, I am surprised anyone wants to bring their own wine with them. We buy good wines but we tend to drink them at home and enjoy what restaurants have to offer..which is a nice way of discovering new wines.
But then, we don't bring our own glasses with us either..it all tends to bring a note of "preciousness" to the experience that I sort of shy away from.

#97 wineangel

wineangel
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 01:25 PM

Well, I think that The Bistro is fine. I've stopped going after some mediocre meals. There are other places to spend my money that I'd rather go. I had a bouilibase (spelling?) the last time I went and it was not good. The salad I had was just bay shrimp salad on greens, the kind that you might have at a deli or something. I was expecting shrimp, not silly bay shrimp salad on greens, and so for what I got, I got ripped off. I'm never one to shy away from spending big money on a great meal, but I hate spending money on a lame meal.

#98 wineangel

wineangel
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 01:28 PM

Oh, and on the topic of wine. I'd just like to note that corkage was designed as a way for restaurants to allow people to bring in "Special" bottles of wine for special occasions. It was not so that people could pick up a bottle of $8.99 wine at Safeway to save a little money. In my opnion, it's bad taste. A lot of restaurants work really hard to make exciting wine lists with things that the average person can't get their hands on and it's a shame to let those opportunities pass you by.

#99 syrahgirl

syrahgirl
  • Banned
  • 626 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 01:42 PM

W like the pear walnut salad at Bistro, large enough to split. The Greek Lemon Soup is another one of our favorite things at Bistro that you don't find in too many other places on the coast. The lemon flavor is just right.

I was conversing with Richard Fensack of the Daily Astorian on this am on e-mail about the Taste of Tuscany in Seaside and he also recommend JP's as one of his favorite restaurants in Cannon Beach. :(

#100 wineangel

wineangel
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 01:59 PM

JP's, if you have to eat, I think I'd prefer to starve.