Photo

Seaside or Cannon beach recommendations?

• Please log in to reply
234 replies to this topic

#41 syrahgirl

syrahgirl
  • Banned
  • 626 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 06:11 PM

When we dined at Bistro on June 14 (night of the tsunami evacuation) we weren't asked for a credit card. Stephanie Inn does this. Maybe it's only during the busy season for Bistro. (July4-Labor Day)

Can't wait to try NRI! I'm sure we will be pleased, it seems to be getitng rave reviews these days. One poster, I believe on Chowhound was rather disappointed that they stopped honoring the Entertainmnet Card. They did offer them $10 off their final bill that was nice, tho. :)

#42 syrahgirl

syrahgirl
  • Banned
  • 626 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 08:45 AM

We're back on the coast again for a couple for a couple of weeks. It's gorgeous weather, anyone thinking of coming over bring your sunscreen! We enjoyed a full afternoon on the beach yesterday sunning and taking in the gorgeous views of the ocean in Seaside.

After walking around town and downing a Pronto Pup (sorry, I love em!) we decided on Pacific Way Bakery & Cafe in Gearhart for dinner. Love this place. I had the Pork Tenderloin that was roasted and served with orange-chipotle adobo, green rice, black beans, fried plantain and watermelon-green tomato salsa. Excellent, served with a great caesar salad and three different kinds of warm breads. DH had the Tarragon Chicken that is sauteed with garlic, lemon, white wine and butter and served with roasted garlic mashed potatoes and spring vegetables. After dinner we went to the bakery and picked up some amazing pasteries for breakfast. Highly recommend this place!

#43 syrahgirl

syrahgirl
  • Banned
  • 626 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 08:46 AM

We're back on the coast again for a couple for a couple of weeks. It's gorgeous weather, anyone thinking of coming over bring your sunscreen! We enjoyed a full afternoon on the beach yesterday sunning and taking in the gorgeous views of the ocean in Seaside.

After walking around town and downing a Pronto Pup (sorry, I love em!) we decided on Pacific Way Bakery & Cafe in Gearhart for dinner. Love this place. I had the Pork Tenderloin that was roasted and served with orange-chipotle adobo, green rice, black beans, fried plantain and watermelon-green tomato salsa. Excellent, served with a great caesar salad and three different kinds of warm breads. DH had the Tarragon Chicken that is sauteed with garlic, lemon, white wine and butter and served with roasted garlic mashed potatoes and spring vegetables. After dinner we went to the bakery and picked up some amazing pasteries for breakfast. Highly recommend this place!

#44 syrahgirl

syrahgirl
  • Banned
  • 626 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 08:28 AM

Finally made it over to Lil Bayou for some cajun food in Seaside last night. We started with an appetizer of Seafood EggplantDressing with crawfish butter cream sauce. It was very good, Bon Appetit requested the recipe from them and printed it in their magazine a couple of years ago. You can read the article when you walk in.

For our entree we shared the Chicken Tchoupitoulas which is a combination of pan fried potatoes, tasso ham, mushrooms and onions served wtih New Orleans Bernaise sauce. This entree is very large, so it was a good thing to split it. I don't eat much cajun food (is there a place like this in Portland?) but every thing we tasted was very, very good.

For dessert we wanted to share the Pecan Sweet Potato pie, but they were out so we opted for the Creamy Chocolate Bourbon pie which was very good. A glass of Pepperwood Pinot Noir went nicely with the meal. For two of us the bill was around $36 before tip, so it's a pretty good bargain place if you share an entree. Must be a popular place, it was full when we left at 7:00 to head over to Indian Beach to surf. www.lilbayou.com is the website. Cheers! :)

#45 syrahgirl

syrahgirl
  • Banned
  • 626 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 07:58 AM

More good eats on the coast! Yesterday my daughter and I stopped at Sam's Seaside Cafe for lunch while bike riding around town. I had the bay shrimp melt which was wonderful and packed full of fresh bay shrimp with melted Tillamook cheese on top. French fries were the garlic fries. Lunch with no driniks was only $6!! A great little place to re-fuel, located right on the main drag.

Last night we had another great meal at Bistro. We shared the pear and walnut salad which was great. The Greek Lemon Soup is one of my favorites here. Sooooo yummy and the waiter said it's always on the menu. Highly recommend. We shared the Baked and Marinated King Salmon with the chantrelle and garlic sauce. Very small portion, but so good.

After an evening of surfing at Indian Beach we headed over to Gower St. Bistro for some chocolate pot de creme. Just love the ambiance here, and will return soon for another dinner here. Checked out the Driftwood Inn, has anyone been here and is it good? Have yet to try it but it came highly recommended by the wine sommelier at the Cellar on 10th St. in Astoria. Cheers! Come on over to the coast and take in this gorgeous beach weather over here! :)

#46 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 01 August 2005 - 09:33 AM

I have eaten at the Driftwood Inn in Cannon Beach and I probably won't go back. It's a dark place. The food was O.K., but nothing special. I noticed the last time I was in Cannon Beach, which was a couple weeks ago, they had tables out front, and people seemed to be enjoying food and adult beverages outside in the sun.

My friend and I went to Morris' Fireside Restaurant and had clam chowder, coleslaw, and a halibut melt. We very much enjoyed our meal there. They seem to have a rooster theme going on there if you like that sort of atmosphere.

A work colleague recently recommended a place called J.P.'s in Cannon Beach. I remember seeing it and checking out their menu, which sounded heavenly, but it was a little out of our budget for the day, so I'm hoping next time I can check it out.

We considered Ecola Seafood, but it looked too crowded and smelled too greasy. We weren't in the mood for fried seafood, so it kind of turned us off, thus we went to Morris'. I know people say Ecola Seafood is great, but we were in the mood for something lighter that day.

Best regards,

Amanda

#47 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 10:13 AM

I love Ecola Seafood Market, but I have never eaten anything prepared there, only bought raw fish and seafood (ok, the crab was precooked and re-heated later...) to cook later. Good quality and decent prices.

They do have crab cocktails and shrimp cocktails in their cases, BTW...but I do not know if they cook stuff any other way but fried...
Never give up! Never surrender!

#48 syrahgirl

syrahgirl
  • Banned
  • 626 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 05:25 PM

I think I'll pass on Driftwood and check out JP's. We've been dining out a lot in CB this trip since our family has taken up surfing and the best waves seem to be at Indian Beach! I'll post a report after we try it. We also want one meal at either Stephanie Inn or Nahalem River Inn this time. Tough choice, we loved our experience at SI last month. :)

#49 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 02 August 2005 - 05:50 AM

I have heard nothing but rave reviews about Stephanie Inn's food and service. Sometime I'd like to go there, but I know they have a set menu, so I'd want to know what they're serving before I plunk down that kind of dough.

For sure you'll want to go to Nehalem River Inn for dinner. It is an absolute MUST! We went there in December and the food was amazing. The chef, Ryan Hamic is a talented and friendly young man, and his girlfriend was our server and was excellent, as well. I can't say enough good things about this place and I'm hoping we can go there in October around my birthday. Maybe even stay at the Inn. I recommend you give it a try if you love good food! And the remodel can only have made the whole deal even better.

Best regards,

Amanda

#50 syrahgirl

syrahgirl
  • Banned
  • 626 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 08:01 AM

Thanks, Amanda! I'll start working on my husband, LOL! The weather here at the coast is gorgeous, so it should be a very nice time of year for a drive to Nahalem. Can't wait to try this place! :)

#51 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 09:04 AM

re: Nehalem River Inn

Ryan's girlfriend is now his wife, btw, they were married last spring.

Also, the dining room has been completely renovated and is really lovely. Finally worthy of the food being served in it.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#52 syrahgirl

syrahgirl
  • Banned
  • 626 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 09:47 AM

We had a fairly mediocre meal at Wayfarer last night. The place was really full and noisy and our service wasn't that great but not horrible. I had the steamer clams that were served with a very small side of mashed potatoes and steamed veggies. Dh had the chicken fettucine that I tasted and it was very flavorless, he said the same thing. We shared a nice salad of mixed greens with a raspberry vinaigrette dressing and brought in a bottle of Sineann Pinot Gris. (10 corkage fee)

We passed on dessert here and went over to Gower St. for some more of that amazing chocolate pot de creme. Has anyone been to Palucci's in CB or the Mexican place across the street from the Tolvana Inn? :)

#53 syrahgirl

syrahgirl
  • Banned
  • 626 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 09:13 PM

Went to Mo's in Cannon Beach for dinner tonight. The place was packed, about a twenty minute wait. We had a tureen of clam chowder, it really is good and very filling. I had the blackened salmon which was very good and a small shrimp salad was included with the entree. The greens were very fresh and crisp and lots of shrimp. For dessert we had the marionberry crisp with vanilla ice cream. Our bill was a bit over twenty dollars. Lots of fun, loved the views of Haystack Rock while we dined.

Got reservations for Nahalem River Inn soon! Can't wait and will post a report when we return. We also checked out the Mexcian place, La Fiesta in CB and decided we have to try it! :)

#54 Katee

Katee
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 02:16 PM

I am fortunate to live at the coast, and have explored many of our fine (and not so fine) restaurants.

The post from Calabrese about Gower St. Bistro surprised me more than any other post I've read here. I have eaten there probably 20 + times and have never had bad service. The food is always exceptional as well.

Another favorite is Kalypso in Seaside. They have recently re-done their menu and their prices are actually lower. Wide variety of foods (the lamb being my personal favorite). Big Foots is also great, and everyone should try McKewon's on Broadway. It is relatively new and their deep fried artichoke hearts are to die for!

#55 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 05:39 PM

The thing with Gower St. may have just been the end of the July Fourth weekend and one or more people may not have come to work and no one found anyone else to cover. However, the cook and the bus person could have helped out and they didn't. And I've been going to the Oregon coast for nearly 30 years and have never experienced service that poor. Given Gower's prices and the fact that Wayfarer next door was staffed and not only provided acceptable but excellent service, it was surreal. I don't have much of a desire to kill my time there like that again and then have folks who come in 20 minutes later than me get attention. Also, if you have been there 20 plus times you might be considered a regular. I know I get better service at places where I am known.

#56 syrahgirl

syrahgirl
  • Banned
  • 626 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 09:13 AM

We ended up at Bigfoot every Sun. for their ribs there. They really are very good! I'll have to totally disagree with you about Kalypso. Granted, the dining room is nice but the food is very mediocre. Others have said the same thing, they need a new chef very badly here. We were chatting with a local there that owns a wine shop and he agrees, the place really doesn't have good food. I did have some decent pan-fried oysters there once, but when I had them for an appetizer, they were very poorly prepared.

My husband just refuses to go here at all. It is one of the places in the area that serves Mueller-Thargau which is nice with the oysters. We took my son and his fiance here last summer and they complained also. The seafood fettucini we had was bland and tasteless. Too bad, I think it's one of the most gorgeous dining rooms on the coast. Have you been to Nahalem River Inn?

We dined at Gower St. several times and there was one time I have to agree with Calabrese. Our food was terribly paced, the caprese salad I ordered came with the entree (she even forgot to put it on the order and we had to remind her) and the service was very haphazard. We ended up having their chocolate pot de creme almost every night after surfing at Indian Beach. Our last meal at Wayfarer was mediocre, much prefer the Bistro. What are your opinions on that place?

Still have to make it over to JP's. Have you tried the Tiki Cafe there by the Necanicum River?

#57 ShellMarr

ShellMarr
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 12:02 PM

:P This will be our 4th stay at The Stephanie Inn!! :D We had our honeymoon there and have gone back every year since for our anniversary. The food is great... we have done, the dining room, candle light dinner served in our room, and the picnic lunch... all have been WONDERFUL... My husband does not eat salad...so just FYI they will sub an extra soup in place of the salad if you like. And they make note of any dietary restrictions you might have too....just let them know when you make the reservation. Oh, and the fresh cookies on the front desk are to die for!! I just called to see what the weekend dinners were going to be but they will not know until Wed so not sure which night we will do dinner there. We will also make reservation at J P's and the other at The Wayefar (sp?) we have never eaten at J P's because we always forget to make reservations. Anyway... there is my 2 cents and then some! :D

#58 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 08:08 AM

We're in Seaside right now and had dinner last night at Lil Bayou. I was very impressed, both with the service and the food. We opted for two of their daily specials: the popcorn crawfish appetizer and the BBQ shrimp, served with rice and macque-choux. Mr PnJ had the combination plate with blackened catfish, large shrimp and some other tiny little crustaceans. My BBQ shrimp were in a spicy tomato sauce which beautifully flavored the plain white rice. The macque choux was sweet and delicious.

We had the bananas foster and the banana chocolate bread pudding for dessert. My only (small) complaint was that the bread pudding felt like it was microwaved to warm it up, and that they put chocolate sauce over it, a case of overkill.

We had a half-off the second entree coupon so the whole thing, including drinks, was $58.

Today we are off to Pig and Pancake for breakfast, to meet our tenant for breakfast. Thanks to all who recommended Lil Bayou. It was great.

#59 syrahgirl

syrahgirl
  • Banned
  • 626 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 11:53 AM

Glad you enjoyed Lil Bayou, I think it's great the area has such a nice Cajun place around. Pig N Pancake has been a family favorite of ours for many years. You may want to check out McKeown's in the Gilbert District for breakfast, also. Yummy eggs benedict and complimentary mini scones and pasteries. Corpeny's is also great, down by Avenue U. :)

#60 syrahgirl

syrahgirl
  • Banned
  • 626 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 05:25 PM

We had another excellent meal at Gower St. Bistro a couple of nights ago. The place only had about three other couples dining and we were very doted on. I had the crab cakes which were excellent and the Pacific Northwest Salad which was great. They were out of the chocolate pot de creme, but we managed to enjoy a nice creme brulee. The Painted Hills beef meatloaf was another entree that was very much enjoyed. Really love the ambiance and the food here and service really is very good when they're not overwhelmed like on the summer weekends.

Another note: Kalypso in Seaside has shut it's doors. We were booking spa appts. at the Spa on Broadway upstairs and apparently Kalypso is no more which is really sad. Hopefully someone will take over and open up a fine dining venue which the area is need of.