Photo

Seaside or Cannon beach recommendations?

• Please log in to reply
234 replies to this topic

#21 syrahgirl

syrahgirl
  • Banned
  • 626 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:49 PM

Bistro beats the Wayfarer by a long shot. I can't wait to go back for another meal there. :)

#22 sgindigo

sgindigo
  • Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 07:25 AM

Nehalem dock is about like Wildflower Grill in its fanciness, though maybe a tad more casual. It's not like a Pirate's Cove. Anything fish there is good, which they usually serve baked or grilled cajun-style. I've had Halibut in many ways, always great. Their desserts are also quite wonderful. There is usually a chicken thing and maybe a pork thing, but fish is their specialty. I am pretty sure there are clam and mussel things on the menu, but since I never order that, it's not something I commit to memory. But if you've been to Wildflower, it's similar, just not quite as good (which isn't to say it's not very good still, I just like Wildflower a lot).

They have a sizable deck out back you can dine on, on the river. Window seats inside, mini bar for drinks and a small regional wine list.

#23 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 08:26 AM

I like the Wildflower a lot too...not that I don't like the Blackfish, but the breakfasts and lunches at the Wildflower on their deck out back, in the sun with herons and other wildlife, can be fabulous.

Thanks a lot for the info on Nehalem Dock, sgindigo, I found a link here: http://restaurant.co....asp?rid=302225

Thanks for chiming in on Bistro v. Wayfarer Kim. I had a feeling that would be the case. Not too much about the Bistro online...any details would be appreciated.

Hey, ya readin' this Calabrese? :wink:
Never give up! Never surrender!

#24 sgindigo

sgindigo
  • Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 08:41 AM

The Bistro is smallish, and fairly popular. If it's Friday or Saturday night and you don't have reservations, forget it. The layout (and nothing else) reminds me of the Farm, enter at a small bar area with a few tables, go down the left side for another room with some more tables. The lighting is low and somewhat, dare I say, romantic? They are definitely trying to be an upscale place, the prices are higher than Wildflower. I think the crabcakes were around $9, entrees hover around the $20 mark. The staff is very friendly. I've heard that they were better years ago and that they have gotten more inconsistent over the years, but I haven't had anything that wasn't quite good in the three times I've been there in the past two years. Again, they focus on seafood, though I've had a great roasted pork tenderloin there. It's hard to pick one thing from their dessert tray.

#25 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 05:27 AM

Calabrese is reading all this. You getting us reservations at the Bistro, Ms. Jill-o? There's a cafe in Nehalem that has good breakfast. Treasure something. It's been a few years since I was at the place.

#26 syrahgirl

syrahgirl
  • Banned
  • 626 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 07:58 AM

We had lunch at Pirate's Cove yesterday. I love the views from the gorgeous windows there. I had the crab melt that was very good with clam chowder and also the fried oysters. Average food, but the views are really nice. It's a great place to stop and re-fuel between Seaside and Tillamook. Spent some time in Manzanita, I wish we could hang there for a day sometime. There's a great little Mexican place that looks really good. :)

Jill-O I think you will be very happy with Bistro. It isn't advertised very much and there isn't much info on the web. If they still have the Greek lemon soup while you're there, you must sample this. Also, the pear salad is oh so good! I loved the chocolate ganache torte with the hazelnut crust drizzled with caramel sauce. The dining room is small, so make reservations. We were there the night of the tsunami evacuation and just made it back to Seaside to grab out teens and hit the evacuation route.

Had an amazing dinner Stephaine Inn last night, will post details later. :)

#27 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 02:31 PM

OK Kim and sg, we had reservations on 7/2 for the Nehalem River Inn and I just made reservations for Bistro for the next night 7/3.

Thanks for the rec...I'll come back and post and let you know how it went.

Kim, if you are brave enough to try Blue Sky, please let us all know what the deal is...Calabrese won't go back after her last meal unless she hears from a reliable source that it is safe to return. I don't blame her as I haven't heard good things about it in the last year...only bad.

We really like Manzanita, so it is where we usually stay...

#28 syrahgirl

syrahgirl
  • Banned
  • 626 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 11:32 AM

I will try Blue Sky. I love Manzanita. We were there a couple of days ago and I want to go back for the day soon. There is a new place that took the place of Fireside, Bistro Manzanita. Does anyone have any comments on it? It's been open about 10 months. www.bistromanzanita.com

We had a great meal at the Gower Street Bistro in Cannon Beach last night. Caprese salad, gnocchi with brown butter, meatloaf, mac and cheese, a tarragon chicken entree and a killer German chocolate cake for dessert. We dined outside, but the inside is very, very nice. It is located at the Cannon Beach Hotel. www.gowerstreetbistro.com Give this one a try when in Cannon Beach! :)

#29 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 11:47 AM

Had a breakfast that made Calabrese sick at the Bistro Manzanita (breakfast and lunch only, I think...or maybe just in the off-season - it was Nov. on that trip) so I do not think we will be back there.

And yeah, I agree with Calabrese that it was that meal that made her ill - her salmon omelet thing was definitely off... My breakfast was OK, but nothing fabulous.

We frequent Bread and Ocean for lunch boxes (and ginger cookies!!) and tend to go outside of Manzanita for other meals...

#30 syrahgirl

syrahgirl
  • Banned
  • 626 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 08:06 AM

We had another great meal at Bigfoot Pub and Grub again last night. I broke out of the mold on a Sun. night and had the fillet mignon wrapped in bacon which was melt in your mouth excellent. Crab stuffed mushrooms for the app were really yummy. We thought it was funny when we asked our server at the Stephanie Inn which places in Seaside she likes, and this was on her list. (Seaside resident.)

Tonight we're trying to decide between Bistro again in Cannon Beach or a little cajun place here in Seaside called Lil' Bayou, tho it may be closed on Mon. :D

#31 malachi

malachi
  • Members
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:coffee, food, espresso, wine, rock climbing

Posted 27 June 2005 - 06:44 PM

Finally figured out the perfect solution for a trip to the coast...

Shop here in town, load up the coolers and stay at Coast Cabins in Manzanita. Real kitchens in selected cabins, with real equipment. Scrambled farm eggs with spanish chorizo for breakfast, ground sirloin burgers for lunch, grilled River Run Farm bone-in Rib-eyes with Morel demi and roasted scallions for dinner one day. And the next was applewood smoked bacon and poached eggs for breakfast and a picnic of speck, prosciutto di parma and selected salumi with cheeses, olives, berries and fruit and a nice prosecco.

My guess is that the total budge for all the meals was less than what I've spent in the past for breakfast and lunch combined and I didn't have to worry about being pissed off, vomiting or the like.

On the other hand... I still have no good solution for coffee on the coast and really miss the ritual of going to the coffee bar. At least the Coast Cabins have french presses and grinders - but I just like sitting at a coffee bar damn it.

#32 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 08:22 AM

More about Coast Cabins, please, Calabrese and I will be staying there this weekend (in Cabin 1/South Tower)!

We usually stay at the Ocean Inn right on the beach (they allow dogs too) and the apartment we stay in has a full kitchen there...but we were not able to get in there this time (but I did reserve it for Calabrese's b-day in Sept.).

At Coast Cabin, in the room we are in, they say there is a micro, toaster, and burner and a mini-Sub Zero fridge/freezer. I'm not so worried about brewing my own coffee (which I never do anyway because as well as I can cook, bake and do many other things, making a drinkable (never mind decent, good or great) cup of coffee seems to elude me) as I really like Bread and Ocean (ditto their sandwich/lunch boxes).

We are doing a combo of cooking (we have a little portable grill - will be able to use it at CC, or will we have to go onto the beach?) and eating out (have reservations at Nehalem River Inn one night and Bistro another night).

Jeezaluisa, I am so looking forward to several days on the coast with the SO and the dog...is it Friday yet??

#33 syrahgirl

syrahgirl
  • Banned
  • 626 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 09:20 AM

What was supposed to be two weeks for us, turned into three on the coast! Was able to try a couple more places on the main drag in Seaside before we headed back to CA.

Dooger's was pretty uneventful. A glorified coffee shop type place, packed with tourists of all ages. Shrimp salad was average, my cajun salmon came out scalding hot and burned my mouth. This our only disappointing place in 20 nights of dining out in Oregon. Hubby won't return here.

We found a nice alternative to Doogers, right on the main drag. A quaint little cafe called Sam's Seaside Cafe. Very good, fresh salad with curly endive lettuce, excellent coconut shrimp with garlic fries, salmon was great served with sides of grilled veggies and baked potato. Fun atmosphere, more character than Dooger's.

There's a place in the Gilbert District, located right on the Necanicum River we want to try next time (3 weeks) called Tiki Cafe. Hawaiian type place, I'll report back after we try it. Next trip Nehalem River Inn is at the top of our list! Cheers!

#34 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 02:37 PM

Jill can finish this with her full report but I have a few things to say about our dining in Cannon Beach.

First the Bistro.... I never intend to eat there again. Ugly room, poorly set-up. My food was not good. Jill's was a bit better. The crab cakes were more eggy than crabby and no saucse to offset any of it. The steak was terrible. I ordered very rare and it might have been medium rare. It was tough and when it came out with black pepper coating the top I was scared. First, I hate that treatment. I always think they are trying to hide the meat. I scraped it off. Most of my steak went to my dog since Jill shared her pork chop which was better. Her calms appetizer were over done.

We tried to have lunch at the Gower St. Bistro today. It was a fiasco. One sorry wait person who was completely disorganized. We took our own menus and found a table that was not made up (nothing inisde was and we don't like eating right next to a road.) Her acquaintances got service first. We waited over 20 minutes and when folks who came in well behind us started getting service, we walked. Oh and their prices are ridiculous.

So we wandered into the Wayfarer. What a surprising little gem. We got a window booth with an amazing view of the ocean and Haystack. The service was completely attentive. It was almost surreal after the place before it. The food was good. And on the eggs benedict, they give you the option of a half load. I had eggs benedict over crab. It was very tasty good hollandaise. And there was a big lump of claw meat in with the crab. The egg was done nicely. I liked the crispy hash browns. And did I mention the service was great. Jill's food was good too and the bacon was thick, crisp and very tasty. The room is nice and well set-up.

So my report about Cannon Beach from this trip is the Wayfarer is the place to go.

I will let Jill talk about our fabulous meal at the Nehalem River Inn and our nice breakfast at the Treasure Cafe in Wheeler (really wonderful hollandaise).

#35 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 02:48 PM

Jill & Calabrese,
How were the Coast Cabins? I'm thinking we might go stay there this fall.

Kristi

#36 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 03:03 PM

Kristi:

We stayed in Cabin 1. It was very small but very nicely appointed. There is a decent small fridge. A good microwave with built in toaster. Granite countertops. The four day minimum stay for the holiday was harsh.

We had a small yard area that was fairly private. I brought my new portable propane grill and new professional grill tool set. We ate grilled salmon and prawns (from Ecola Seafood) on Friday night and boneless pork chops on Monday night. Jill encouraged me to buy marinade and not make my own on the road. Picked Dulcet lemon, mustard, tarragon at New Seasons and it did a great job. Spendy but I thought it was great and we could use it as salad dressing too. Jill got this great micorwavable wild rice at Trader Joes.

We went out the other two nights.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Calabrese

#37 syrahgirl

syrahgirl
  • Banned
  • 626 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 07:36 AM

Too bad about Bistro, we had a great meal there recently, but it was on a quiet week day. Our food was excellent, service very attentive and an overall great time.

We also like the Wayfarer. Too bad CB doesn't have more view restaurants like this one. Did you make it to Stephanie Inn? We also had a very pleasant time there. :)

#38 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 09:21 AM

You Crazy Calabrese...why didn't you say anything about the fabulous experience we had at the Nehalem River Inn??! Or the great breakfast at Treasure Cafe in Wheeler?? :roll:

Dinner at Nehalem River Inn was great. They have completely renovated the dining room and now the atmosphere matches the great food and terrific service. Ryan is a bright young chef who cares about ingredients, presentation and execution. Everything was fabulous - two different and awesome salads (one a citrus/ greens/manchego/fennel/citrus mustard dressed, the other spinach/arugula/large pearl couscous/currant/pepita/tarragon aioli dressed - both fresh and wonderful), duck two ways (sliced breast, dark meat with cherry/dried red plum chutney in puff pastry), and rare sliced steak (perfectly cooked Painted Hills ribeye, potato gratin with brie, sauteed greens), and dessert was a heavenly lemon/lavander sorbet with lavander shortbread cookies and a tasty panna cotta with berries and brandy soaked peaches, Great meal, fabulous service. All of the above with a glass of wine and some great bread from Bread and Ocean in Manzanita was less than $90 and incredibly worth it. If you are anywhere near there, you must go. Dinner is Wed.-Sun. only, btw.

Met Ryan the next day at Bread and Ocean (he was picking up his bread order and some lunch) and had a nice chat. He said that he thought Bistro in Cannon Beach was the best CB had to offer. That's kind of sad. I thought it was a mediocre meal and overpriced for the quality of the food and atmosphere. My steamers were overcooked and rubbery, the bread was that 'unwrap and bake' crap industrial/commercial food service providers sell, the crab cakes were awful and barely tasted like crab, the steak was a mediocre piece of meat that came overcooked, the green beans were overcooked, and so was the rice that came with my pork chop. And I have to say that the chorizo that was in the pear and grape fruit sauce that flooded my plate of overcooked rice and chop, wasn't playing nicely with the other flavors. The dessert tray looked unappetizing, so we went to the ice cream shop in town and I had great huckleberry ice cream with hot fudge over it and that and a great sunset viewed from Neahkanie rescued a lousy meal at Bistro. The price (without dessert, which we had at NRI) was about the same as the Nehalem River Inn and totally not worth it. And as a side note, when Bistro asked me for a credit card to secure my reservation and I asked them if an AMEX number was OK, and they took my AMEX #, they neglected to mention that they do NOT accept AMEX at the restaurant.
WTF :?:

We had a couple of breakfasts out. The best was at the Treasure Cafe in Wheeler. The pictures on the wall of this tiny place show the chef in traditional chef garb, so I thought it would be good. The panfried oysters with eggs benedict that Calabrese had was ethereal. The best hollandaise ever - eggy and tarragon-y and delicious - with perfect poached eggs and just-shucked oysters from down the road. Awesome. We asked for the potatoes to come crispy and they were garlicky and herby and very crispy and the chef came out to chat and say that he likes his potatoes that way too and how were the oysters 'cuz they looked so great when he was preparing them. Really nice experience - a bit off the beaten track and worth it. They do breakfast and lunch and they do dinner Wed.-Sat.

The breakfast at Wanda's in Nehalem was pretty good too. Nice fruit salad instead of potatoes, good biscuit, eggs done as ordered, decent coffee, good baked sweets. They do breakfast and lunch only.

Calabrese gave the rundown on the Gower St. Bistro fiasco. It was pretty odd that we couldn't even get a place setting there, and yet at the Wayfarer, Patrick, our server, was fawning over us while we gazed at Haystack rock and the ocean. Made us think that maybe we would try the Stephanie Inn next time we are out that way...although two dinners back to back at the Nehalem River Inn is mighty tempting!!
:wink:

Other than the meals mentioned, we had a great box lunch at Bread and Ocean on Laneda in Manzanita (love those ginger cookies!) and we picked up some great salmon and prawns at Ecola Seafood Market in CB on our way in on Friday. We had some nice snacks too - those marcona almonds with rosemary and sea salt from TJ's are seriously tasty...

Kristi, Coast Cabins was really nice. Great high end linens, lots of privacy (no connecting walls or floors, every unit stands alone), beautiful landscaping. The only thing is that Cabin #1 (aka south tower) is right on Laneda and you have the traffic going by, so if you want one of the towers, I'd choose the north tower, aka Cabin #3). Cabins 1&3 are small but nice for a couple and maybe one more on the sleeper couch - but the couch and eating area/kitchenette share the downstairs with a very small bathroom (the bedroom is the only thing upstairs). Cabin #2 seemed very small and has very limited outdoor space, Cabins 4&5 are larger and more expensive and have more outdoor private space and real/full kitchens and separate dining areas. Dogs are treated well, but for $25/nt. they should be, ya know? :wink: The other thing is that it is closer to 101 than the ocean...which was nice for the July 4th weekend, but usually, we want to be closer to the beach, so we like to stay at the Ocean Inn at Manzanita, which also has accomodations that allow dogs and kitchens, etc. (and is cheaper). But I'd definitely stay at Coast Cabins again, it was very nice and felt wonderfully luxurious, even though the cabin was small.

#39 syrahgirl

syrahgirl
  • Banned
  • 626 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 09:36 AM

I'm really glad that we tried Bistro and Gower St. before the high tourist season started. When we dined at Gower St., mid-week we were really doted on with our service, same at Bistro. I think from July 4-Labor Day Cannon Beach (Seaside,also) are just jam packed with tourists.

Sounds like Nahalem River Inn will be nice. We drove by the place on our way to Tillamook a couple of weeks ago. If you're ever tempted to wine taste at the Nahalem Winery, skip it. Over-priced wines and not very good, either. Stephanie Inn is in a class all it's own. Bistro and SI still remain our top two picks in CB. Cheers! :)

#40 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 02:12 PM

Syrah:

Gower St. really wasn't that busy when we got there at 11 AM on 7/5. More than half the tables were empty. The problem is that the place needs a wait staff of 3 to 4 and there was one person who was also making coffee drinks and a slacker of a bus person. Wayfarer was less busy but there was a full complement of wait staff.

I really thought the lavendar-lemon sorbet at Nehalem River was sublime. It was so mindblowingly good. Admittedly, I have been cooking with lavendar for over 9 years and I have seen it used as a solo ice cream flavor with berries on it (cannot remember the name of that restaurant in Seattle) but this was so perfect.

The duck was really wonderful too. I love duck and have had it in so many places that I cannot even remember. The most memorabe duck I ever had was duck breast in a chestnut sauce at the Pierre in NY. The duck I had at Nehalem River Inn this weekend is my second all time favorite and prices adjusted for inflation, it was a lot better deal. ;-)

The other nice thing about Nehalem River Inn is the service is attentive but low key. It's very relaxing.

I have eaten at the Treasure Cafe before and enjoyed it but this last time was great. That hollandaise with the tarragon was marvelous. And the oysters were utterly fresh. I happen to like Willapa Bay oysters best but those were close.