Photo

Seaside or Cannon beach recommendations?

• Please log in to reply
234 replies to this topic

#1 LC

LC
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:cooking, eating, baking, gardening, shopping, home decor

Posted 18 March 2005 - 08:24 PM

Hi,

I'm new to the site although not new to Portland. We moved here Summer 2000 and loving it!

We're just now getting around to visit the Oregon coast. Are there recommendations for not-to-miss restaurants in Seaside and Cannon Beach? We'll be there for 3 days starting Sunday.

Thanks much!

#2 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 18 March 2005 - 09:18 PM

Again, welcome.

I have a small report with pictures on extramsg.com:

http://www.extramsg....=article&sid=23

I really like Ecola Fish Market and the Cannon Beach Bakery is good, too.

Here are a couple threads on Chowhound that should be helpful:

http://www.chowhound...ages/19120.html

http://www.chowhound...ages/19867.html

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#3 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 01:35 PM

I was just in Manzanita on 3/17-19. Eating out on this part of the coast generally sucks. To make matters worse, the Nehalem River Inn (usually the better place to eat around there) is closed for renovations right now...sigh.

I can tell you to avoid the Terra Cotta and blue sky (which has gone downhill to the point that many won't return, including my dining partner) and Manzanita Bistro in Manzanita. Sandwiches, cookies, cinnamon rolls, etc. are great at Bread and Ocean in Manzanita and they do a great picnic lunch box with sandwich, choice of a few salads and a choice of a cookie (ginger molasses rocks!).

The Ecola Fish Market in Cannon Beach is a good place to stop and pick up raw or cooked seafood or get it fried/cooked and eat it there. We picked up a couple of dungeness crabs ($4.99/lb cooked and cleaned - they were HUGE and very meaty) and some gorgeous 15/20 count shrimp ($12.99/lb. deveined but not shelled - very nice) - they sell all the sauces, lemons, crab cracking implements, oyster crackers, etc. there too. We had a feast that night for my b-day with some champagne and some bread and some garlic/butter/lemon...YUM!! This is always the best meal at the coast, isn't it??!

The next night we had dinner at Cafe Mango in Cannon Beach. It's upstairs at the south end of the busy downtownish area and it was empty at 6pm on the Friday night of Spring break. It seemed like our server had never waited on a table in his life (seriously, it seemed like it was his first night and he was a family member filling in - and we overheard later that he is the owner's nephew) - but he was very friendly (though really nervous) and he tried very hard to do a good job with us. My dining partner and I felt a bit sorry for him and were a bit annoyed at his aunt, who we felt wasn't exactly teaching or training him...or especially even giving him any help when two other tables of people came in.

I had a decent Cafe Mango house salad (greens, walnuts, mango chunks, raspberry vinaigrette), partner had a bowl of squash soup that wasn't bad but wasn't great either...and it didn't seem like it had creme fraiche in it as advertized, either. Partner had rack of lamb which came rare...too rare, really, it was mostly raw. My filet mignon came very rare (as ordered...I like my beef seared but bloody - black and blue they call it) and it was a decent piece of meat but there was too much pepper on the outside (and very coarsely ground pepper at that - it wasn't pleasant) and the demi-glace was mediocre. The veggies on both plates were the same: a spray of broccolini, some yellow squash slices, and garlic mashed. The veggies on partner's plate were way overcooked and mushy, those on mine were not. They put some alcohol/wine in the sauce they put on the veggies (more of that nasty demi-glace?) and it was not cooked out - kind of unforgiveable. The spuds were actually good, although not hot, and they were piped out of a bag with a star tip. I don't really like when my food gets extra handling on it's way to my plate for no good reason - but that's being extra-picky about one of the better executed things on the plate, so forget it.

Coastal prices meant that each entree was about $30 (the soup and salads were in the $6-9 range). With the starters and a glass of wine for me and a pot of tea for my partner, that's almost $90 for a meal for two that was just this side of decent/edible/mediocre. How pathetic...welcome to the OR coast. (Don't feel too bad for me, she took me to Hurley's in PDX on Sat. night ;o)

Two more stores closed in Manzanita on the main strip (Laneda) since I was there in November. For the love of all that is worth eating on this Earth - will someone PLEASE open a decent restaurant there??!!

I love that spot on the coast (Manzanita is quiet and a bit more isolated than a lot of other spots on the coast) but culinarily...well, it just sucks. The best we can do is just keep posting about our experiences and letting each other know what to avoid and where to go for the good stuff.

#4 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 01:50 PM

Thanks for the detailed report, Jill! I've heard a lot of good things about Cafe Mango but I won't be trying it now. That is just way too much money to pay for mediocre food. I guess that's part of the reason we haven't been to the coast in awhile, I'd rather go somewhere in town and have a good meal :)

BTW, Happy Birthday! How was Hurley's?

Kristi

#5 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 02:22 PM

Thanks for the b-day wishes, Kristi! Hurley's was GREAT!!! I posted on the foie gras course in the bluehour thread.

I you have not been, you simply have to get to Hurley's - tell your husband to make some reservations! Jackson's college fund can wait, he's young! ;o)

The thing about the coast is that I don't go to the coast for culinary adventure or great food. My expectations are always minimal where food is concerned there, with every new place I/we try the bar is usually set pretty low. I go to the coast to go to the coast. I love walking for miles on the sand (rain or shine) and seeing few people, like looking for nifty rocks and shells, like being able to let N's dog off leash a bit to run with me, like knowing that there's no cell phone service out there so anything in the "real" world will have to wait, like the sounds and smells of the surf, etc. (sounds like I am writing a blurb for the w4w personals...geez... ;o) Also this last weekend was prime whale watching time - they are migrating back north and we watched lots and lots of spouts and flukes as they passed us in Manzanita from the deck of the really nice place N rented for a couple nights.

So go and enjoy the coast for what it is and make reservations for when you get back to town to enjoy fabulous food. Seriously, the best food you'll get for dinner at the coast is that which you buy by the lb. and make for yourself from a fresh seafood market. And although I really like the Side Door in Gleneden, and the Nehalem River Inn in Nehalem as places to go at the coast and will return to them when near there - if they were in PDX, I'd probably not bother with them more than once. Like I said, it's a different measure...the bar is set pretty darn low.

#6 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 02:26 PM

Jackson can pay for his own college, his parents need to eat :) !!! Actually, we are planning on going to Hurley's for our anniversary in May and I'm looking forward to it already!

Kristi

#7 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 04:11 PM

A few more comments about Mango....

For their prices, I'd expect cloth and not paper napkins and I wouldn't expect bread in a cheap plastic basket. I ordered my lamb medium rare hoping that it would be on the cusp between medium and rare and it was pretty much not cooked in large areas. Now the portion was generous but not that edible. My trusty canine appreciated that which I would not eat.

While I felt sorry for the kid trying to wait tables, I question the business sense of not having a seasoned back-up wait person available during spring break.

Unfortunately the culinary scene on that part of the coast is in decline. Ten or so years ago Jarboes and and Blue Sky (both in Manzanita) were great little places worth their prices in that market. Jarboes closed and Blue Sky has changed ownership (twice, I think and the last change was really for the worst).

#8 syrahgirl

syrahgirl
  • Banned
  • 626 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 07:39 AM

Hi there! We recently spent over 23 consecutive nights eating out on the Oregon Coast, so I've tried quite a few places in the area several times. I've been to Cafe Mango in CB, probably wouldn't return there again. We had a nice halibut meal out on their very small patio. The views of downtown CB were pretty and the fish was prepared very nicely. The sides is steamed veggies were fresh and tender. I had a piece of the mango cheesecake for dessert which was yummy.

Last month we tried the Wayfarer for the first time, located at the Surfsand Resort. I was very impressed. Out wine sommelier in Seaside recommend it and the Bistro. Bistro was closed so we went to Wayfarer. The service was excellent, we had a nice view of Haystack Rock before the sun set, I had the sea scallops that were very, very good and it was served with some bacon-wrapped asparagus that was tasty and jasmine rice. Dessert was also very good, a chocolate lava cake. I would recommend the Wayfarer for a very nice CB meal with a view.

Of course there is Mo's, very casual but I do enjoy the way they prepare the salmon there. Views of Haystack Rock are gorgeous and the clam chowder is served family-style that is nice for a large group. In Seaside, We have had one good meal and two disappointments at Kalypso. It is in a beautiful new building on the corner of downtown Seaside. Probably one of the most spacious places on the entire coast that I know of. We recently had a fantastic breakfast at McKeown's in the Gilbert District and I would love to return for lunch and dinner. A little place we discovered in Seaside on Ave U and Beach is Corpeny's. Serving only breakfast and lunch Thur.-Sat. Very good chicken salad sammies, fiesta stew and yummy fresh salads. It's a very healty organic type place. Dessert was the lemon shortbread cookie with a dallop of lemon pudding on top. Very clean and pretty place inside also, with a fireplace in the dining room.

I think the best place for ribs in Seaside is at the Bigfoot Pub & Grub located at the end of Ave. U. It's a don't miss place for our family and rib night is every Sun. night. Fresh salads, warm bread, great baked beans and huge pieces of cheesecake for dessert. Come here with a big appetite! These are a few of my favorites in the area. Next time I want to try Stephanie Inn (CB) and the Nahalem River Inn. Cheers! :)

#9 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 29 April 2005 - 09:15 AM

Nehalem River Inn is an excellent place to dine on the Oregon Coast. It can set you back a few clams, but it's well worth it. The restaurant there is a gem and they are remodeling their lodgings.

Best regards,

Amanda

#10 syrahgirl

syrahgirl
  • Banned
  • 626 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 03:01 PM

Anthing special not to miss at the NRI? Do you happen to know if they do anything great with salmon? We took a drive to Oakhust (CA) to the Elderberry House there (only 5 star restaurant in our area) and we were speaking with the wine sommelier about local restaurants and fresh produce/seafood. I was boasting about the fresh, fresh fish that we have when we visit the PNW and he was very envious. We had our first batch of our Late Harvest 2004 Syrah critiqued by him and he was very pleased with our product. :D

DH hopes to take a cooking class here the end of the month which he is very excited about! www.chateausureau.com for those interested.

#11 keith

keith
  • Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 04:15 PM

I always stop by Heathers cafe in Cannon beach. It used to be run by this lovely couple. They serve great sandwiches, salads and daily specials. It's been sold to new owners, but the last time I went back it was still good. This is probably the best place in Cannon beach to get a good espresso drink, unless you are looking for flavored lattes. The old owners have moved to NW Portland and I run into them all the time at Kens.

There is a lovely bistro in Gearheart, Pacific Way Bakery and Cafe. It's always busy so I recommend calling a head for reservations. 503-738-0245
It's the only place in town so it's easy to find.

My best new find at the coast is "Sharks" in Newport. It's located down on the bay front by the Ripley's. Now normally I wouldn't even think to try a place like this in such a touristy area, but this is worth it! Sharks is a small seafood restaurant that specializes in chowders. Sitting at the bar is a MUST. They have a steam stove pulled out of a sub marine. This contraption has several large bowls on swivels with steam running through them. You just have to see it. Any who, they make it fresh right in front of you. Fantastic.

The owners are crazy. New Jersey alla Berkley. Free Spirits in sequins. They are half the fun.

#12 syrahgirl

syrahgirl
  • Banned
  • 626 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 02:51 PM

I'm definitely checking out the Pacific Way place next month. We're back and forth between Portland/Seaside/Astoria a lot in the summer. I can't believe we haven't tried this place yet. Also in Warrenton is Kim's Kitchen for very authentic Korean food. Just be prepared for a long wait and lousy service, we had to leave last summer to catch a movie but once the food is on the table, it's great and she is a sweetheart!

I'm also going to check out Lil Bayou in Seaside for cajun food. I've been reading lots of raves about this place lately. Cheers! :)

#13 cluckbucket

cluckbucket
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 12:00 PM

I think they were both mentioned in this thread but I'll second Ecola Seafood Market and Pacific Way Cafe. Very different but both excellent. We get fish and chips, crab cocktail, and chowder from Ecola every time I'm at the coast. The Pacific Way Cafe is quint and makes a mean seared ahi dinner...

#14 syrahgirl

syrahgirl
  • Banned
  • 626 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 08:22 AM

My husband and son flew to Portland yesterday and drove over to the coast from there. They again had a very nice casual meal at Bigfoot Pub & Grub. This place doesn't advertise too much, it's a locals place mostly but they really have very, very good food! Burgers, steaks, seafood and great cheesecake. :lol:

Another meal was again at the Ship Inn where we have found the best fish and chips anywhere! Again, a very casual atmosphere, this place has been around Astoria forever. Another true locals place. I can't wait to be back in the area myself next month for a couple of weeks. So many more new places I want to try, I'll post reports afterwards here. Cheers!

#15 syrahgirl

syrahgirl
  • Banned
  • 626 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 09:54 AM

Found a gem last night in Cannon Beach. Bistro on Hemlock. We started with the grilled crab cakes over mixed greens and lemon sake butter sauce, followed by the Greek lemon soup, then the blue cheese, pear and walnut salad with port vinaigrette dressing. Our entree was the baked wild salmon with herbs and lemon butter. Dessert was the chocolate ganaache cake with hazelnut crust, drizzled with caramel sauce. This place is fantastic. I highly recommend this place while visiting Cannon Beach.

We came home in 'Seaside to the tsunami warning and had to evacuate our home for awhile. That was scary, but I was well fed, LOL. :)

#16 sgindigo

sgindigo
  • Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 01:04 PM

Yes, I have been wanting to post about that place for a long time, but could not remember the official name, thinking simply "Bistro" couldn't possibly be it. The crabcakes are yummy, how common is it to put broccoli stalk in crabcakes? I've had a pork tenderloin there that was wonderful, as well as various Halibut dishes. Desserts are also great. Reservations recommended.

My personal Oregon coast top 3:

1. Wildlfower Grill, Lincoln City
2. Bistro, Cannon Beach
3. Nehalem Dock, Nehalem

#17 syrahgirl

syrahgirl
  • Banned
  • 626 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 08:38 PM

Where is Nahalem Dock located? I have been wanting to try the Nahalem River Inn, ever been there? :)

#18 sgindigo

sgindigo
  • Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 03:01 PM

Well, lemme tell ya, if you were looking for it and it took you longer than three minutes without any directions whatsoever, I would be surprised. I mean, Nehalem has what, 200 people? :)

It's on the Nehalem river, across the street from the store on HWY 101. When headed south, when 101 comes to a T in Nehalem and makes you turn right down the "strip", it's about two blocks down on the left.

35815 Hwy. 101, Nehalem, OR 97131 503-368-5557

And no, I've never been to the Inn.

#19 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 03:12 PM

What's the Nehalem Dock?

Is it a casual seafood joint, or a fancier dinner place? What's good there?

We're going to the Nehalem River Inn on 7/2 (for the second time, last was in Nov.). It was a good meal (had the mussels and the filet mignon) and though it was a bit pricey...it always is on the coast, isn't it? We have a reservation for a window seat on the river.

We like staying in Manzanita, and we are always looking for a good place to eat. We were thinking about Bistro or Wayfarer for another dinner. And we will probably try Wanda's Cafe & Bakery in Nehalem, and the Treasure Cafe in Wheeler.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#20 syrahgirl

syrahgirl
  • Banned
  • 626 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:48 PM

Bistro beats the Wayfarer by a long shot. I can't wait to go back for another meal there. :)