• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:30 AM

Noticed this place on my way to Alberta SOB last night. Anyone tried it?

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#2 chris pez

chris pez
  • Members
  • 878 posts
  • Interests:music, food, italy, history, little kids who make me laugh

Posted 07 November 2006 - 11:56 AM

Noticed this place on my way to Alberta SOB last night. Anyone tried it?

yeah, they just opened up and i've walked past it a few times, but haven't tried it.

maybe i'll go there for wednesday dinner.
foodshedpsx is dead. as is god. and elvis. and george burns. and you and me too soon enough.

#3 katez0r

katez0r
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 06:45 PM

I tried them a few weeks after they first opened.

I was going to be very excited to have a neighborhood burger place that was so cheap because burgers are my ultimate comfort food, but my cheeseburger was pretty bad. It was burnt, and not at all substantial. I wouldn't get it again. blegh.

I've also had the philly-style cheesesteak, I've never had the real thing, so I have no basis for comparison, but I enjoyed it. It was very cheesey -- good comfort food.

The steak fries were actually krinkle fries, and not at all crispy. Smushy fries just aren't my bag.

They also were pretty disorganized, not taking names or giving numbers.

I still want to try the chicken wings, and the pictures of them look promising, so I'll be going back for those at some point.

I hope they get things worked out, though, because I'd like to add them to my quick/cheap list.

#4 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 07:50 PM

What's the address or cross street for this place. Alberta is close to work and I'm almost always game for a new place.

#5 katez0r

katez0r
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 08:34 PM

25th. right across the street from the clown house.

#6 BaconLuv

BaconLuv
  • Members
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:bacon, comfort food, vintage cocktails, karaoke

Posted 07 November 2006 - 09:17 PM

My co-worker got their jerk chicken (sandwich, I believe) a few weeks ago. She said it was good but thought it could've been more spicy. Haven't made it down there myself.
The ironclad rule on music in any kitchen I control: NO Billy Joel, NO Grateful Dead. - Tony Bourdain

#7 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:01 PM

tried it last week while working in the area(i dont get to N.port. too often)i had the jerk chicken sand. and my co-worker had the cheesesteak. i thought the sand. was good, the cheese steak looked good but i really dont trust my friends opinion since he eats at mcD's atleast 3times a week! i was really hoping the sandwiches would be a little bit more.....how to put this.....there! im not normally looking for volume of food,but it seamed that the sandwich was gone in like 6 bites, and since i really dont care for fries(and i mean i really dont care for them, not even what are supposedly great ones,ie. higgens)i was still hungry after leaving. I agree that it could have been much spicier, i mean it was jerk! anyways, i would say its worth a try but you have to walk right by Halibuts to get there, and that is just silly!! :lol:
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"

#8 westslope97225

westslope97225
  • Members
  • 218 posts
  • Interests:My wife, who is my food critic companion and I, like to find the best restaurants to eat at. <br />We thrive on good food at no expense!

Posted 08 November 2006 - 06:15 PM

I've also had the philly-style cheesesteak, I've never had the real thing, so I have no basis for comparison, but I enjoyed it. It was very cheesey -- good comfort food.

2 basic styles: (imo)
east coast/ "original, Pat's phily cheese steak": steak.grilled onions (wit) cheesewiz.
west coast/Cheesesteak: steak. provolone. grilled onions/grn pepper.

#9 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 08:33 PM

I split the Steakadelphia thread.

And provolone is traditional on a cheesesteak in Philadelphia. There are well-respected places that do not even offer wiz. And I don't believe wiz was available when the sandwich was invented.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#10 westslope97225

westslope97225
  • Members
  • 218 posts
  • Interests:My wife, who is my food critic companion and I, like to find the best restaurants to eat at. <br />We thrive on good food at no expense!

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:06 PM

I split the Steakadelphia thread.

And provolone is traditional on a cheesesteak in Philadelphia. There are well-respected places that do not even offer wiz. And I don't believe wiz was available when the sandwich was invented.

I know Pat's .. claims they were the first and are the cheese wiz people... across the street on the other corner is the other one that doesn't ... can't remember their name ..
So, yes I stand corrected that provolone and wiz are both a philadelphia standard.... it just depends on who you talk to.

#11 unclepauly

unclepauly
  • Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 05:52 PM

american cheese is actually the standard on a cheesesteak, not provolone. if you get a cheesesteak from any pizzajoint in philly (on every single corner), it comes standard w/ american - however, provolone and whiz are both extremely popular.

steves steaks in the northeast offers an extremely bangin' liquid american cheese on their steaks...

i miss home.

#12 chris pez

chris pez
  • Members
  • 878 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 07:12 PM

three things i learned tonight:

1) it's *christopher's* gourmet grill.
2) there's no cheeze whiz.
3) they only take cash.

number three is the reason there is no review from me tonight due to the fact that the halibut's bar ATM didn't like my card one bit and the killingsworth & mlk atm was broken. not my night for a cheese steak.
foodshedpsx is dead. as is god. and elvis. and george burns. and you and me too soon enough.

#13 chris pez

chris pez
  • Members
  • 878 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 07:57 PM

well, we finally went to CGGrill tonight. just a short summation: if you live in the neighborhood it's a decent cheapish spot to go when you don't want another burrito or plate of curry. the jerk chicken sandwich was mildy spicy, just enough really. the steak fries were okay... standard. the cheeseburger is just what you'd expect. two cheese burgers and a jerk chicken sandwich all with fries came to about $16.50. the portions were plenty.

nothing to write home about or go out of your way for, but s'allright.

C+

#14 chris pez

chris pez
  • Members
  • 878 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 07:42 PM

stick a fork in them, they're done.

saw them dismantling this place today.

#15 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,340 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 07:55 PM

Yeah, saw that, too, yesterday. Looked like some guys were wheeling out the fridge.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#16 concreteoatmeal

concreteoatmeal
  • Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 07:59 PM

stick a fork in them, they're done.

saw them dismantling this place today.

such is the cruelty or being mediocre.......
"If you were expecting a kick in the groin, and you get a slap in the face.......thats a win where I come from"

#17 katez0r

katez0r
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 09:21 PM

I wonder if they would've done better if they had opened during the summer.

#18 NinaNina

NinaNina
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:04 AM

Before they dismantled the place, they had a sign up saying they were relocating.

#19 The Meadow

The Meadow
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 04:22 PM

FYI:

This place closed because they relocated. They are now on MLK at Shaver across form Hannah Bea's. I had a pretty tasty cheesesteak there. I recommend the "secret" garlic parmesan cheese sauce. The fries were actual steak fries, big and crisp on the outside, soft inside. Tasty. I'll be back.

Oh, and they offer ALL their burgers with your choice of "meat": beef, turkey, chicken, fish or veggie which is pretty cool.

:D

#20 BaconLuv

BaconLuv
  • Members
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:bacon, comfort food, vintage cocktails, karaoke

Posted 19 December 2007 - 04:48 PM

Anybody know the hours at the newer location? I drove by it on my way to a meeting today and was reminded about it.

One of the banner signs on the outside also says "seafood"...does that mean fried, grilled, or what? (I see that they offer a fish 'burger' per the previous post, but kind of figured this meant something else).
The ironclad rule on music in any kitchen I control: NO Billy Joel, NO Grateful Dead. - Tony Bourdain