What am I, chopped liver?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 08:48 AM

Come be a part of the chosen people for a night! This is your chance to learn how to make authentic chopped liver - schmaltz and all. I'm teaching my last cooking class of the season at the Garden Home Recreation Center on November 9 from 6-8pm. On the menu is my Gramma Jenny's chopped chicken liver on crackers, braised leeks in lemon juice and olive oil, and Jacques Pepin's almond macaroons.

Call 503 629-6341 to register. The fee is $23, in-district.

#2 PDXWine

PDXWine
  • Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 11:28 AM

Years ago it was possible to buy schmaltz in a jar from Manischewitz. Now it's not (as I discovered a couple of years ago when I decided to take chopped liver to a Passover-time party) and, to my knowledge, the only way to have schmaltz is to render your own - or do you have another solution? Curiously, it's possible to buy plastic tubs of duck fat.

Oh yeah, just try to get any local market to save chicken fat for you. HAH!

#3 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 02:21 PM

Years ago it was possible to buy schmaltz in a jar from Manischewitz. Now it's not (as I discovered a couple of years ago when I decided to take chopped liver to a Passover-time party) and, to my knowledge, the only way to have schmaltz is to render your own - or do you have another solution? Curiously, it's possible to buy plastic tubs of duck fat.

I do render my own. When I cook a chicken, I remove the fat chunks and some of the skin and render them in a tall saucepan (to reduce splatters). Then I take the grieben (crispy skin bits) out and drain and salt them, and pour the cooled fat into a jar. It goes into my freezer until I need it - usually for chopped liver or perhaps a potato kugel. The grieben is the cook's treat (and the cook's husband's).

I know extramsg had problems finding chicken fat for his and Ken's chopped liver and decided to use butter instead.

#4 Guest_Mary Bannigan_*

Guest_Mary Bannigan_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2006 - 04:10 PM

I do render my own. When I cook a chicken, I remove the fat chunks and some of the skin and render them in a tall saucepan (to reduce splatters). Then I take the grieben (crispy skin bits) out and drain and salt them, and pour the cooled fat into a jar. It goes into my freezer until I need it - usually for chopped liver or perhaps a potato kugel. The grieben is the cook's treat (and the cook's husband's).

I know extramsg had problems finding chicken fat for his and Ken's chopped liver and decided to use butter instead.

#5 Guest_Mary Bannigan_*

Guest_Mary Bannigan_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2006 - 04:14 PM

[font=Comic Sans Ms]
Can someone please tell me where I can get good chicken schmaltz by mail? I live in Augusta Georgia, and I'm from NYC. No one down here has ever heard of it. How can I make good chicken liver without it???
I have rendered it before, but now I have so much stock I have no more room in the freezer!!
Help. Someone have pity and tell me who will send it by mail???

#6 Bavarois

Bavarois
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 04:40 PM

Can someone please tell me where I can get good chicken schmaltz by mail? I live in Augusta Georgia, and I'm from NYC. No one down here has ever heard of it. How can I make good chicken liver without it???
I have rendered it before, but now I have so much stock I have no more room in the freezer!!
Help. Someone have pity and tell me who will send it by mail???

A Google search turned up this, among others:
AaronsGourmet

#7 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 09:58 PM

Actually, the use of the butter in the chopped liver was just the way I make it, and had nothing to do with availability of chicken fat. Just an aesthetic choice.
signature

#8 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 10:00 PM

I didn't realize that Ken. What is it about butter that you prefer in chopped liver?