BARS with local fare

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Qbertitis

Qbertitis
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 02:28 PM

Hi, I'm looking for bars whose menus are filled with dishes with local ingredients. Many Portland restaurants have dishes consisting of locally grown/raised food, but what about bars?? I know Slow Bar does it... can anybody think of others? THANKS!!

#2 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 25 October 2006 - 02:48 PM

Higgins

#3 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 03:24 PM

Wildwood has a great bar and their dishes are made with local ingredients. You can have bar-type food (burgers and fish and chips) or you can order off the regular menu.

#4 The Chief

The Chief
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:16 AM

The nitelight lounge on Clinton seems to offer a lot of local, organic food at resonable prices. Great Happy Hour too.

#5 westslope97225

westslope97225
  • Members
  • 218 posts
  • Interests:My wife, who is my food critic companion and I, like to find the best restaurants to eat at. <br />We thrive on good food at no expense!

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:13 PM

Wildwood has a great bar and their dishes are made with local ingredients. You can have bar-type food (burgers and fish and chips) or you can order off the regular menu.

burgers and fish and chips ?? are they good? I thought I saw a thread recently that said, the food had gone down hill ?
How would you compare the fish and chips to Halibuts on Alberta?

#6 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:49 PM

I have not had the fish and chips there, but I have heard they are good. I did notice that when I was there on Saturday night that the fish and chips were no longer on the menu so I'm not sure when/if they will be coming back. I like Wildwood a lot, though. I will say that my friend is the bartender and I always eat at the bar so service is always fantastic, but I like food, too. They also have very good desserts.

#7 westslope97225

westslope97225
  • Members
  • 218 posts
  • Interests:My wife, who is my food critic companion and I, like to find the best restaurants to eat at. <br />We thrive on good food at no expense!

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:24 PM

I have not had the fish and chips there, but I have heard they are good. I did notice that when I was there on Saturday night that the fish and chips were no longer on the menu so I'm not sure when/if they will be coming back. I like Wildwood a lot, though. I will say that my friend is the bartender and I always eat at the bar so service is always fantastic, but I like food, too. They also have very good desserts.

Is there anything in particular that is "outstanding", on the bar menu?

#8 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:43 PM

You can order off the regular menu or the bar menu (I think they still call it the chalkboard menu even though it isn't on a chalkboard anymore) in the bar. On the bar menu I like the mussels with grilled bread (you can also get substitute clams or do 1/2 clams and 1/2 mussels) and the burger. I also think they do a good job with their pizza of the day and the fried corona beans with romesco sauce are very good. That's all I can think of off the top of my head. If you sit at the bar, Ryan is a great bartender and server and he won't steer you wrong with food recommendations.

#9 westslope97225

westslope97225
  • Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 03:50 PM

You can order off the regular menu or the bar menu (I think they still call it the chalkboard menu even though it isn't on a chalkboard anymore) in the bar. On the bar menu I like the mussels with grilled bread (you can also get substitute clams or do 1/2 clams and 1/2 mussels) and the burger. I also think they do a good job with their pizza of the day and the fried corona beans with romesco sauce are very good. That's all I can think of off the top of my head. If you sit at the bar, Ryan is a great bartender and server and he won't steer you wrong with food recommendations.

thanks / its always nice to try something new, when recommended by a reliable source.

#10 PDXWine

PDXWine
  • Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 11:33 AM

Noble Rot? Haven't been there in a while . . .

#11 aspicLove

aspicLove
  • Members
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:What's tasty

Posted 01 November 2006 - 11:37 AM

Echo has good food, some of it local some of it not. Savoy has good offerings, again a mix of local/not local.

#12 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:32 PM

RE: Noble Rot. I was there recently and everything was outstanding, most especially the "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes". But I wouldn't call Noble Rot a bar.

#13 Markovitch

Markovitch

chinese w-rapper.

• Members
  • 925 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 03:23 PM

imbibe is a bar with a nice menu (se hawthorne and 27th or so)

#14 PDXWine

PDXWine
  • Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 04:58 PM

I wouldn't call Noble Rot a bar.

I would. A room dominated by a bar. Granted, a wine bar but a bar nonetheless. As opposed to a dining room.

#15 Guest_MostlyRunning_*

Guest_MostlyRunning_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2006 - 05:17 PM

RE: Noble Rot. I was there recently and everything was outstanding, most especially the "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes". But I wouldn't call Noble Rot a bar.

I should try the rot again. The last two times I went the food was almost inedible, but I have had good experiences prior. They have done enough for pdx food and wine that they deserve another chance, and now that three months have passed it seems worth it. Glad you had "outstanding" food. What was Head shoulders knees and toes anyway?

Truly,

MR

#16 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:26 PM

"What was Head shoulders knees and toes anyway"

I am not sure what it is exactly. I think it's all those parts of the pig that are kinda mashed together and then lightly breaded and fried. It's served with a frisee salad and pickled asparagus. Just fantastic.

#17 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:29 AM

I've always had good experiences at Noble Rot. One time we went everything seemed pretty rich, but that was probably our fault for not ordering properly. I love the standard items on the menu like the onion tart and the mac and cheese and I also love the butternut squash panini that they do in the winter (I do wish they would serve it with something other than store bought potato chips, though). I need to get back there sometime soon.

#18 BaconLuv

BaconLuv
  • Members
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:bacon, comfort food, vintage cocktails, karaoke

Posted 04 November 2006 - 04:47 PM

Echo has good food, some of it local some of it not. Savoy has good offerings, again a mix of local/not local.

I second those suggestions. Echo's signature cocktails are amazing and I really enjoyed the burger I had there once. The only happy hour bites I had at Savoy were the fried cheese curds. Decadent!
The ironclad rule on music in any kitchen I control: NO Billy Joel, NO Grateful Dead. - Tony Bourdain