• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#1 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 24 October 2006 - 10:33 PM

I can't believe we don't have a Clarklewis thread. Oh, well, it appears Food Dude was mostly right:

http://www.extramsg....N...le&sid=1628

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#2 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 06:44 AM

That's really too bad. We were there Saturday night and had a fabulous meal.

#3 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 08:44 AM

I may have gotten the wrong impression of this, though. It may be Brownlow on leave because he's unhappy rather than being forced out by investors looking to make a change. Either way, it's unfortunate.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#4 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 08:57 AM

Just as clarklewis was moving out of the standard PDX 'backlash' phase. Bummer.

#5 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:40 AM

I've been there 3 times and enjoyed every meal. We had one minor complaint on Saturday night because about 6 of our large order of mussels weren't open, I think it's because they could have cooked for a few more minutes but we had so many of them we were fine. It seemed like things had finally settled down there and that's why we decided to go for dinner, but I'm not sure I'll go back soon if there's a bunch of change going on. These days we don't get as many date nights as we'd like and it's hard to to rake a risk on one of those nights out.

#6 toaster

toaster
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 11:20 AM

Morgan is being "asked" to take a 2 month paid sabbatical while changes are made at clarklewis, he then has the option to stay on as chef or leave. Not sure what the changes are going to be. I heard about this last week. I'm hoping that even if he doesn't stay at clarklewis he stays in Portland. We need more chefs of his calibre.

#7 Jamesongrrl

Jamesongrrl
  • Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:Tied for first: Travel & Food & Motorcycles (particularly my BMW 650 GS)

Posted 25 October 2006 - 11:41 AM

I've only had lunch at CL.
Most of the times were before the big broohaha (which were all quite good), but the last time was recently right after they re-opened for lunch.
Unfortunately I was not impressed.

I had the avocado sandwich. It was a few slices of avocado, A HUGE roasted pepper of some type, a bunch of bitter greens and a few sprinkles of a cheese (not goat but similar) served on a huge baguette type roll.
There was no way I was going to fit this thing in my mouth (I did manage a few bites), which unless it is open-faced, if I can't eat it with my hands I question whether or not it is truly a sandwich.
Second between the pepper and greens that was all I could taste. I ended up removing them and having BREAD and avocado left over.

Not only was the sandwich unsatisfactory but the potatoes that came with it on the side were 'spicy potatoes'. They were undercooked, still crunchy, and the spice was one dimensional. They were not that good.
I was with two other dining companions and they weren't impressed with my meal, or their own, either.

I miss the old lunch days.

Honestly- I'd say the worst two lunches I've had lately were at Clarklewis and Gotham. Go figure.
Jamesongrrl
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

#8 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 11:48 AM

Morgan is being "asked" to take a 2 month paid sabbatical while changes are made at clarklewis, he then has the option to stay on as chef or leave.

Sure he does. Why would he not be there when changes are being made if he was going to stay? That's ridiculous! :drool:
signature

#9 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 25 October 2006 - 12:25 PM

I wonder why they'd get rid of him? His dinners seems to be one of the assets of the place from what I gather from others. Why toss out the main thing you've got going for you? Creative differences, perhaps? Or maybe financial ones? Who knows? I've still never eaten there, so I can't really comment too much either way. It just seems like Brownlow's name was one of the positive aspects connected with Clarklewis.

Best regards,

Amanda

#10 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 05:23 PM

There can be many reasons. They could be losing money and want to change the concept, and he doesn't want to. He could be running a really high food cost and they're needing to cut costs. He could have gotten a great offer from someone who wants to back him in a restaurant and the offer was too good to turn down. He could have slept with someone in the organization that he shouldn't have. He could have a terminal disease. There could be one of the new investors who wants to bring in his own guy. They could be going out of business and this is a way to start the spin.

I'm sure there are 10 more reasons I'm not even considering, maybe even the real one. None of them, I would imagine, could be positive for Morgan and his relationship with clarklewis.
signature

#11 Epicurious

Epicurious
  • Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 05:57 PM

Whether Morgan returns after his self or otherwise imposed hiatus, the dye is cast. I sincerely doubt the restaurant will survive this. Perhaps the owner(s) / investors are taking thier cue from Bruce Carey, and we will shortly hear about a new place called (fill in the blank) / Water Avenue.

"Kill the Restaurant"...a prophecy fullfilled.

#12 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:41 PM

I just got this email and boy, this dinner sounds good:

The season has shifted, the weather grows cool…
Inside at clarklewis, we've come up with some great ways to keep warm.

The hearth is fully fired up, and we've ordered one very big, very special heirloom hog- grown for us by Creative Growers (amazing local farmers who also grow many of the vegetables we use throughout the spring, summer and fall).

Starting Halloween Next week we are offering a unique WHOLE HOG FEAST featuring this beautiful pig.
The dinner will run Tuesday the 31st, through Thursday the 2nd.
We have decided on a menu- and set the price. All you have to do is call and hold your spot with Sadie our reservationist. (12-6 daily).

The dinner is limited to 36 people each night (first come first serve)- and will feature 5 riveting courses…as follows:

starter
house cured prosciutto wrapped comice pears
drizzled with aged balsamic

salad
spit roasted house cured pancetta with shaved
raddichio, frisee and roasted johnagold apples
tossed with a chestnut vinaigrette

pasta
ravioli of pork rillettes with dijon pork sugo
and country brown crumbs

entreé
spit roasted pork loin stuffed with wild fennel sausage
&
agro dolce braised pork belly and sultana raisins
with anson mills heirloom polenta and pork sugo

dessert
danielle's bacon profiteroles with maple gelato
and bacon brittle

The dinner is $65 per person
**Optional Wine pairings will be available for an additional $30 per person
questions and email reseravtions:eat@clarklewispdx.com or by phone (503.235.2294)

#13 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:48 PM

Yeah, that will post at midnight to Extramsg.

Note there's no mention of a change in chefs.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#14 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:51 PM

Yeah, that will post at midnight to Extramsg.

Note there's no mention of a change in chefs.

It's not surprising that there's no mention of the change in chefs. That menu does sound good, though, and I've been wanting to try a dessert with bacon since I heard about the one at Le Pigeon.

#15 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:11 PM

Man that sounds good! But I am doing Culinary Artistry on Friday.

Can one girl do two pigs in one week?!

#16 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:33 PM

Only if you are what you eat. :drool:

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#17 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:34 PM

btw, I've had three or four desserts now with bacon in town and Le Pigeon's was easily the best.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#18 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 08:41 AM

Can you have too much pork? I'm pretty tempted by this menu, too.

#19 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 10:09 AM

Can you have too much pork? I'm pretty tempted by this menu, too.

Porkage rocks.... if we hadn't been being so bad the last couple of weekends I'd be interested in this.

#20 EvaB

EvaB
  • Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 12:17 PM

Porkage??! Wait, wouldn't that be what results if you bring in your own (well, your own pig's) ribs to Ken's ? :blush:
Cool Moon Ice Cream

with apologies to Jack Prelutsky's "Bleezer's Ice Cream Store"

I am Eva Marianna
I run COOL MOON ICE CREAM STORE,
there are flavors in my freezer you have never seen before,
twenty-eight divine creations too delicious to resist,
why not do yourself a favor, try the flavors on my list...