Photo

"Best" Prime Rib in Portland

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 westslope97225

westslope97225
  • Members
  • 218 posts
  • Interests:My wife, who is my food critic companion and I, like to find the best restaurants to eat at. <br />We thrive on good food at no expense!

Posted 24 October 2006 - 12:51 PM

Greetings ....
I am a long time fan of prime rib and was wondering where everyone thinks the best of the best prime rib is here in portland or the surrunding area??

Does any restaurant in Portland really offer, "u.s.d.a. prime cut", Prime Rib dinners??

#2 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 01:16 PM

Hi neighbor. This may seem like a strange answer but I have always loved the prime rib at Oba. Here's a link to their dinner menu and it's the last item listed, they say it is certified angus (which doesn't mean much to me): http://www.obarestaurant.com/menu.html. I will say that it is pretty well seasoned so if you're a beef purist, this may not be the one for you.

#3 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 17,998 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 24 October 2006 - 01:54 PM

Ringside and Shula's has prime rib. Morton's does prime rib on the weekend. El Gaucho does a chateaubriand instead. Ruth's Chris didn't have it on their menu. Never had any of them, so that's all I can tell you. Are these prime prime rib? Probably some if not all, though they may save that for the ribeyes and such. I don't know. But most of it's probably aged, if nothing else, and better quality than places like Clyde's or whoever else is serving it.
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole & Kenny & Zuke's

#4 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,624 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 24 October 2006 - 01:59 PM

Sayler's Old Country Kitchen has good prime rib. The place I really like to get prime rib is The Refectory. It's kind of dark and 70's in there, but the prime rib is always excellent. The Prime Rib (I think it's called Clyde's Prime Rib now) on Sandy Blvd at about 53rd was always excellent, too, but I haven't been there for several years. The last time I had prime rib at Ringside East, which used to be my favorite place to get it, it was lukewarm, bordering on cool. Now I just get steaks or do happy hour food there.

Best regards,

Amanda

#5 Gugelhupf

Gugelhupf
  • Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 04:03 PM

I have had good prime rib at Clyde's on Sandy. I wouldn't say it's the best, but they've definitely received repeat business from me. Service is very friendly and prompt.

~A~

#6 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 17,998 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 04:29 PM

Is it good for the money or just plain good? I get the sense westslope is looking for the most premium money can buy if (s)he is looking for a prime version of the rib roast.
The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

#7 RM

RM
  • Members
  • 558 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 09:35 PM

Is it good for the money or just plain good? I get the sense westslope is looking for the most premium money can buy if (s)he is looking for a prime version of the rib roast.

FYI, I got a USDA Prime rib roast at the Hillsboro Costco just before Christmas last year. We really enjoyed it. As I recall it was only $1 to $1.50 a lb more than the USDA choice roasts.

#8 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 17,998 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 10:59 PM

That's a no-brainer. Sometimes I really wish I had a Costco card.

#9 westslope97225

westslope97225
  • Members
  • 218 posts
  • Interests:My wife, who is my food critic companion and I, like to find the best restaurants to eat at. <br />We thrive on good food at no expense!

Posted 25 October 2006 - 06:08 AM

Yes, I am looking for "usda prime" rib. dry aged!

Thanks everyone for your input... I just joined this site and its great to be able to chat with others that appreciate good food.

#10 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 17,998 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 08:42 AM

One thing, though, is that places that use local beef probably won't have a USDA rating of top, choice, or prime. However, something fom Painted Hills might be as good or better. (It's worth noting, also, that beef has become less marbled over time.) Not that most places serving local beef will have a classic dish like prime rib anyway. What you need to do, is go into Viande and have them order you up a Wagyu rib roast and dry age it for you. ;)

#11 ZenBoy

ZenBoy
  • Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:07 AM

A Costco card is worth it just for the tri-tip roasts, personally. You have to buy them four at a time, but hey.

When it comes to Prime Rib, I tend to do it myself anymore, there hasn't been a place up here that has done beef quite right enough for me to pay the premium for them to do it.

#12 Gugelhupf

Gugelhupf
  • Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:43 AM

Here's the Clyde's Prime Rib menu link:

http://www.clydespri...u...9&pageid=35

You be the value judge! (I certainly wouldn't call it cheap)... ;)

~A~

#13 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,582 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:48 AM

Lo Cal Meal
Sliced tomato, fresh fruit, cottage cheese and vegetables served with a grilled ground steak patty or chicken breast 10

Awesome. They're selling the experience of being on a diet in 1973!
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#14 westslope97225

westslope97225
  • Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:49 AM

What you need to do, is go into Viande and have them order you up a Wagyu rib roast and dry age it for you. ;)

http://www.lobels.co...item.asp?item=8
Is where I've been getting my rib roasts to do at home in my Traiger. I'm looking for a restaurant where I can go and enjoy the same quality.

Now, my reason for not buying the kobe or wagyu rib roast ........ I look at it like, good red wine. "If you don't try it you won't raise the bar to the next level" !!

#15 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:56 AM

Now, my reason for not buying the kobe or wagyu rib roast ........ I look at it like, good red wine. "If you don't try it you won't raise the bar to the next level" !!

Good point! I recently tried the Kobe style filet at Ringside and I wish I would have never tried it because that's all I want to order now.

#16 parksy68

parksy68
  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 10:18 AM

A good place to go for meat purchases is Phil's Uptown Meat Market in the Uptown Shopping Center.
I usually go there for NY Strips or Prime Rib. He also offers a box lunch with Kabobs and rice.

#17 westslope97225

westslope97225
  • Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 10:41 AM

A good place to go for meat purchases is Phil's Uptown Meat Market in the Uptown Shopping Center.
I usually go there for NY Strips or Prime Rib. He also offers a box lunch with Kabobs and rice.

thanks / I have been to Phil's and it works for me, too!