Nicks Italian Cafe In McMinnville

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 parksy68

parksy68
  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 06:31 PM

It's been years that I've been to Nick's for his 5 course dinner. Has anyone been there recently?

#2 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 07:26 PM

Hasn't changed a bit.

#3 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 10 October 2006 - 06:05 PM

I went there for a business dinner last May and it was wonderful! I wish I had known about it a few years back as it would have been a much better choice than dinner at the Hotel Oregon.

Best regards,

Amanda

#4 billb

billb
  • Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 10:46 PM

Be sure to skip lunch. I have rarely been so stuffed in my life. We thought that a 3 course version featuring some of the highlights on the menu would have been fine.

We thought the food was generally good -- quite "North Beach Italian" traditional, but solidly executed. What really did it for us was his wine list.

#5 Sabra

Sabra
  • Members
  • 401 posts
  • Interests:Food, wine, tennis, fun

Posted 13 October 2006 - 02:14 PM

I went to Nick's a few nights ago for the first time. It was quite full so I sat at the bar (solo) . . . and ordered a la carte off their set menu. I had the salad with gorgonzola to start with. It was ok -- the dressing a little too vinegar-y and not enough gorgonzola. I then had their pesto lasagna which was very good. Even though they were very crowded, the service was good.

On the way into Nick's, I looked into the windows of Noah's Wine Bar next to Nick's. There were a few people at the bar, so I went in after dinner. I LOVE the decor . . . and it was fun. Word is from locals, however, that he's only open irregularly so it's tough to make plans. Too bad.

#6 lifes2short

lifes2short
  • Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 04:46 PM

Sabra--Any idea if that place is open on Friday during the day?

#7 Sabra

Sabra
  • Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 08:34 PM

Sorry, according to their website www.nicksitaliancafe.com and the Willamette wine valley website, they are only open for dinner!

Oh well . . . for a little Italian lunch place, on the first or 2nd block off Baker on the south side, there's a little Italian place that I haven't been to but have heard good reports . . . also, there's Luigi's Daughter, a little further down on 3rd that makes their own pasta . . . again, I haven't eaten there yet, but have been in to look it over, and they are nice and their pasta looks nice.

Best I can do the Italian way at the moment for lunch!

Sabra

#8 lifes2short

lifes2short
  • Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:35 AM

Thanks Sabra:) I was thinking they were dinner only. I know she wants to go there as she mentioned we go as a group with DH's sometime. So that will have to wait. I can picture that one Italaian place, but the LD making their own pasta sounds good too! La Rambla would not be her style, so that is out. Thinking also of Orchards Bistro (any word on that?) or Bistro Maison.

#9 hidenseek

hidenseek
  • Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:30 AM

I don't know anything about Orchards or Bistro Maison, lifes2short, but noticed on their website that Cuneo Cellars in Carlton serves lunch on Fridays. Different than a restaurant setting, but I think you and your friend would enjoy it. The exec. chef there knows what she's doing.

#10 lifes2short

lifes2short
  • Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 11:45 AM

Thanks hidenseek. I have been inside Orchards as it shares a kitchen with Honest Chocolates, but I have not eaten there. Nice to know of another place in Carlton though. Since where we end up will mostly depend on how much time we spend in yarn stores, lol!

#11 Sabra

Sabra
  • Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 04:39 PM

I keep forgetting about Cuneo offering meals. I'll definitely try that once the move-mess is done. I have yet to try Orchards Bistro, so no report on that one. There is also a restaurant I haven't been to called Sage (406 NE 3rd, McMinnville). It's up on a mezzanine level of a store that is now going out of business. Whenever I've been in there to check on items for sale, it really smells good. I did ask one of the store people what is going to be happening to the restaurant, and she said she didn't know. Assuming it is staying open, it is definitely on my list of restaurants to visit.

#12 lifes2short

lifes2short
  • Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 03:44 PM

We definitely were winging it today. Stopped at the yarn store in Carlton (it was just ok...like the one in MAC much better), drove around a bit, saw a couple places that looked interesting but most were closed. Started to drive to MAC, when we realized we missed Cuneo. Oh well...on to MAC we went. Wandered the downtown checking out various restaurants and shops.

Ended up having lunch at Luigi's Daughter. Very casual atmosphere, but very good food. I had the half turkey panini and the oregonzola salad. Very good, but even having just the 1/2 I will not need dinner tonight. We meant to try some pasta, but my friend and I were too busy talking/catching up and forgot. Great lunch place and we will definitely return!

Checked the Art Of The Vine, a wine bar on 3rd and Davis(?). Anyway, some very nice artwork to purchase, and of course lots of wine. We didn't do any tasting as we would both be napping right now if we did, lol!

Stopped into Orchard's Bistro, which I had been inside many times so knew what the atmosphere was like, but we also checked out the menu. Looked good...sort of upscale comfort food...along the line of Mother's up here, but the decor is totally different. All black/white instead of homey. We did go in to Honest Chocolates and each got 1 piece. So far my favorite is the Carlton Creme.

Sabra--Last week or so when my husband and I were down there, we walked past Sage and went in trying to figure it out. Very odd space. Sorry, but gotta disagree on that smell. It was just nasty! So today, wondering if it always smelled like that, I made my friend go in. We agreed that it smells like a bad mix of ethnic food and an old folks home. The restaurant is upstairs, but not separate from, the shops on the main level. Half of which are going out of business and look like a rummage sale, and the other side is like a home decor shop. The restaurant has a sort of half wall, which the booths then overlook down into the shopping area. So Sage is definitely not on our list to try, lol!

On the south end of Dundee we hit the Firestone Farms (think that is the name) produce stand. Lots of produce, but also all sorts of gift things, and lots of Oregon food gift items. They had some great looking pumpkins too.

After that we had to race home to retrieve kids after school. There is never enough time in this area!

#13 Sabra

Sabra
  • Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 06:09 AM

Glad you ended up at Luigi's and had a good meal. I'll try eating there next time! (Hey, maybe even today!) I guess my nose hit Sage on a special day of it's. I'll put it way to the bottom of my list. The store going out of business - has another store somewhere that they are keeping. In the back, it was all kitchen stuff - gift stuff being in the front.

The Art of the Vine is going to close Jan/Feb for renovation, so I've heard. It too is a little cold in black, white, red, but with the art work, it adds some other color. I'll have to stick my nose in Orchards Bistro one of these days . . . and I'll definitely hit Firestone Farms -- been meaning to do that!

Too bad about the yarn choice in Carlton. See the Black Dahlia gift/wine store next door?

I guess you'll have to come back to Cuneo when I'm living locally! Soon!!!!!

#14 lifes2short

lifes2short
  • Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 06:53 AM

Sabra--Good to know about the wine bar. The artwork definitely warmed it up, but I like clean spaces like that so hopefully they won't mess with it too much, lol! The yarn store was in a warehouse type of thing, more back in a residential area. Very odd location...behind Scott Paul and whatever mill/factory is behind that. We did go by the Black Dahlia and wanted to stop, but there was a big delivery truck and lots of traffic in and out, so we skipped it. Next time! We will definitely be back. Heck, I know over Thanksgiving family from CA will be here and they want to hit the wineries. Nevermind one of them grew up in Sonoma, but she really loves wine so wants to explore this area even more.

#15 Sabra

Sabra
  • Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:23 AM

The yarn store was in a warehouse type of thing, more back in a residential area. Very odd location...behind Scott Paul and whatever mill/factory is behind that.

Strange, huh?

Where is the yarn store in McMinnville?

#16 lifes2short

lifes2short
  • Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 01:06 PM

It is part of the Boersmas sewing center. The sewing place is across the street, and all the yarn is in the storefront right next to Wild Wood Cafe, on the corner of 3rd and Baker. Too convenient to the restaurant, actually, lol!

The girls tried a new place for ice cream in McMinnville yesterday. Serendipity. On 3rd and Evans or so. Has a good feel to it, like an old time ice cream parlor, but the girls said the ice cream was much better at Alf's. They also got Jelly Belly's and said they were really hard, so have probably been sitting for a while. The place says there is an Italian Cafe in the back, but I don't know anything about it and noone was sitting back there yesterday.

We did stop at Firestone Farms again just to buy a couple pumpkins. They had a ton of great looking ones, and at .19 cents/ pound they were cheap. Halloween sort of crept up on us this year, so I ran out of time to take the kids to a real patch/maze. DS went to one in Hillsboro with a neighbor, so at least he lucked out, lol!

#17 Sarah

Sarah
  • Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 01:50 PM

I used to work next to Boersma's! At Oregon Stationers. Anyway, just wanted to say that y'all are right to stay away from Sage; it's a cute little space, but the food is not much above (bad) diner fare. Lifes2short, I'm glad you like Luigi's Daughter! Before I read all the way through I was going to suggest their panini--the pasta is all great too, but I love those sandwiches. Sounds like the downtown area is still pretty vibrant; is Mes Amies still open? I love that store, ran up many charges on my credit card there....

#18 Sabra

Sabra
  • Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 03:45 PM

Mes Amies is still open, but I haven't been into it yet . . .

#19 lifes2short

lifes2short
  • Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 03:58 PM

LOL, we were in that store on Friday also! I think we hit most of the stores. Yes, the area is pretty vibrant! I love small college towns like that.

#20 westslope97225

westslope97225
  • Members
  • 218 posts
  • Interests:My wife, who is my food critic companion and I, like to find the best restaurants to eat at. <br />We thrive on good food at no expense!

Posted 25 October 2006 - 10:08 PM

It's been years that I've been to Nick's for his 5 course dinner. Has anyone been there recently?

I've been wondering the same thing ... only its been since the 80's that I've been there ...
so, its still worth the drive from Beaverton???