McMinnville

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lifes2short

lifes2short
  • Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 01:08 PM

We spent a few hours in McMinnville today.

DH had not been to Wild Wood Cafe yet, so we had breakfast there. Service was pretty spotty today, but the other times we have been it has been fine, so not a problem.

Stopped at Honest Chocolates. Not a huge selection today, but what they had was very good. Bought some brickle bark and one Carlton Cream. The owner was very passionate about what she does. I appreciated that she asked what we liked before offering samples.

Wanted to pick up a loaf of bread to bring home from Red Fox Bakery, but it is closed. The place is boarded up and a sign out front explained that on 9/30 their oven exploded, basically blowing out the entire front of the business! So they are closed, but hope to have their new oven and have the place open by the first week of November. We are down there at least once a week, so when they do reopen, we will be back.

#2 pdxnewbie

pdxnewbie
  • Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 03:24 PM

How awful for the bakery! To blow off the door :) !!
Sounds like my sort of baking , lol.

It was sure a good day to be outdoors..where to next ? :)

#3 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:54 PM

I might meet some family out there this Sunday. Is Bistro Maison still the one place to go in the area?

#4 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 09:46 AM

I might meet some family out there this Sunday. Is Bistro Maison still the one place to go in the area?

Bistro Maison and Nick's are still the places to go. Nick's has some great older vintages of Oregon Wines. There's also an adequate Thai place near Bistro Maison and a Japanese Restaurant that comes well recommended from a friend of mine.

#5 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 09:48 AM

Keep in mind they're doing a big food and wine festival at Evergreen Aviation this weekend so traffic could potentially be challenging in the area.

#6 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 09:18 PM

Yeah, that's what I'm meeting the family for - speaking of libations, has anyone been to Golden Valley Brewery? I've had some of their beer, but not been to their site. Lunch is going to be at Bistro Maison, and if we're in town late enough for dinner, I'm thinking of checking out GVB.

#7 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,658 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 09 March 2008 - 06:57 AM

Yeah, that's what I'm meeting the family for - speaking of libations, has anyone been to Golden Valley Brewery? I've had some of their beer, but not been to their site. Lunch is going to be at Bistro Maison, and if we're in town late enough for dinner, I'm thinking of checking out GVB.

I've been to GVB's pub a few times now. Obviously, they have a whole lot more taps than you are going to find anywhere else. Get the sampler "tray", actually a wood slat from a barrel. Food is upscale pub, not bad at all. Service has been very good every time I have been there. They also sell their bottled wares cheaper than you would find them in stores. If you are buying to take home, Twitch, I would suggest trying their VS Brut IPA. It's a festive and beery alternative to bubbly. Literally, the champagne of beers :lol: .

#8 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 08:42 AM

Oooh yeah, I liked that stuff when I tried it at a tasting one. Thanks for reminding me!

#9 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 09:52 AM

Yeah, that's what I'm meeting the family for

Please report back on the food and wine festival, Twitch.

#10 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 08:02 PM

I only tasted one of the wines - I was with my dad, who had never been to the museum, so I focused on the planes with him.

It was very colloquial. Elephant ears do not come first to mind when I am looking for foods to pair with pinot noir, but alot of people were enjoying one in each hand, so it probably worked well.

I heard lots of complaints that it was a rip-off ($10 parking, $15 admission, plus charges for tastings). I think if you didn't want to see the museum, it would not be good value, and I generally think most wine events capitalize on older people who want to look sophisticated. To me, it was worth every cent to see a smile on my dad's face.

We also had lunch at Bistro Maison. I thought it was a good value considering that it was a tourist restaurant (the waiter told me less than 10% of their patrons were local) and given its quality. I had the salmon with lentils, which is a sure indicator that someone hardcore French is in the kitchen (the chef is indeed French). The lentils were cold and the salmon was cooked a little unevenly, but still delicious. I had some excellent greens tossed with walnut oil before, and a side of sauteed spinach on the side. All basic, all good, and very good service.

Traffic was indeed hell on earth. I'd forgotten how the 99 strip tragically keeps on going until Dundee.

#11 herbs de provence

herbs de provence
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 04:23 PM

Does anyone have any recs for a casual dinner in McMinnville (someplace vegetarian-friendly)? Thanks!