• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#161 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:52 PM

That's too bad about Fryer Tuck. Thanks for the update. Will have to stop in next time I'm that way and find out.

I like LM's fried chicken.  I'd get it a lot more if it was available more.

If you're in that neighborhood, you might as well do Woodsman if timing works for you and Chicken Coop cart at 50th & Division as well.

You also might want to describe what good fried chicken is to you because that may help.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#162 mikeczyz

mikeczyz
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:43 PM

i like highly spiced fried chicken.  i grew up wiht a mother who would marinate the bird with white pepper, sesame oil, ginger, green onion and lots of garlic salt.  i don't like bland bird. I don't like too much breading.  

#163 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:17 PM

Ah. Well, Fryer Tuck would be a good option if it was still as good as it was.  Otherwise, I'd go with Cackalack's and Son of a Biscuit, asking for it to have lots of the seasoning put on it.  Then again, you could go with Thai options and buffalo wing options.  The broaster places like Chicken Little, Reel M Inn, Pink Feather, etc, have light breadings, but they do a very standard seasoning that's not spicy.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#164 mikeczyz

mikeczyz
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:47 PM

Like I mentioned above, I think I'll hit up SoaB and RMInn. Can't hurt, fried chicken is my favorite food. And, Btw, I'm arriving at Union station and am gonna check out the chinatown mi Mero mole on my walk down to Division St!

#165 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:58 PM

PoMo did a story on fried chicken.  Woodsman, SOB and the new place across from Keller does a HH fried chicken.

http://www.portlandm...-september-2014

#166 mikeczyz

mikeczyz
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:36 PM

Ended up hitting Son of a Biscuit and Reel M Inn.  Of the two, I preferred Reel M Inn.  At SoaB, I ordered the two piece dark spicy with mac 'n cheese.  Crust was too crunchy.  Upon biting into it, it pretty much came off in one piece and I was left with naked chicken.  For the spice, they seemed to sprinkle some dry spices on it which, upon consumption, created a paste in my mouth.  Kinda unappealing.  However, I loved the biscuit.  Mac and cheese was okay.  I felt like there was too much cheese sauce for the quantity of noodles.  

Reel M Inn wasn't bad.  I liked the thinner, more crispy crust.  I REALLY liked it when I drizzled hot sauce over the chicken.  If anything, I felt it was a touch bland.  Good flavor on the outside, but the interior just lacked salt.  Maybe I'm too used to brined fried chicken, I dunno.  However, a pretty solid effort.  Would definitely return to Reel M Inn, but not before I try a few other spots in Portland.  

#167 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:11 AM

They don't sprinkle seasoning. They're doing it in the style of Nashville hot chicken.  They take a seasoned oil and baste the outside of the breading, which is why, I think, it can't be delicate.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#168 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:35 AM

http://www.bonappeti...yle-hot-chicken

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#169 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:05 PM

Okay, let's make a list.  I'll put some that come to mind.  Please help me fill it out.

SOUTHERN FRIED

Country Cat

Screen Door

Son of a Biscuit

Bernie's

Podnah's (Wednesdays)

Woodsman Tavern (Thursdays)

Cackalack's

Delta Cafe/Miss Delta

Irving Street Kitchen

Sunshine Tavern

Simpatica (Brunch)

Reverend's BBQ

The Parish

The Original

Tapalaya

Nepo42

Savoy

Southland Whiskey Shithole

Gravy (Brunch)

Po'Shines

BROASTER

Chicken Little

Reel M Inn

Pink Feather

Fryer Tuck

Mad Greek

FAST FOOD/GROCERY/C-STORE

Kentucky Fried Chicken

Popeye's

Church's

Safeway

Fred Meyer

Winco

WINGS

Fire on the Mountain

Wing Stop

Operation Wings

Bitter End

Country Cat

Nepo42

Podnah's (Special)

Bunk Bar (Special)

Savoy

OTHER

Pok Pok

Samui Thai

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#170 Nacho_B

Nacho_B
  • Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:51 PM

Okay, let's make a list.  I'll put some that come to mind.  Please help me fill it out.

SOUTHERN FRIED

Country Cat

Screen Door

Son of a Biscuit

Bernie's

Podnah's (Wednesdays)

Woodsman Tavern (Thursdays)

Cackalack's

Delta Cafe/Miss Delta

Irving Street Kitchen

Sunshine Tavern

Simpatica (Brunch)

Reverend's BBQ

The Parish

The Original

Tapalaya

Nepo42

Savoy

Southland Whiskey Shithole

Gravy (Brunch)

Po'Shines

BROASTER

Chicken Little

Reel M Inn

Pink Feather

Fryer Tuck

Mad Greek

FAST FOOD/GROCERY/C-STORE

Kentucky Fried Chicken

Popeye's

Church's

Safeway

Fred Meyer

Winco

WINGS

Fire on the Mountain

Wing Stop

Operation Wings

Bitter End

Country Cat

Nepo42

Podnah's (Special)

Bunk Bar (Special)

Savoy

OTHER

Pok Pok

Samui Thai

Hola,

What about Korean Fried Chicken? Does that count as a separate category too? I've never had it, but I've heard a bit about it. Boke Bowl is said to have a Korean Fried Chicken night. Never been, but there it is.

There surely must also be other Asian wing options in this town. I know the Whiskey Soda Lounge is essentially Pok Pok, but it doesn't have the wait-times (or at least it didn't when i went there a few years ago). Same wings. There were some other Asian wing options too, no?

I have been getting my fried chicken in the Caribbean. I became a fiend for it too. It really seems to have blown up in the States in the time I was away. Is fried chicken the new cupcake (or new meatball)? Tots seem to have really come up as well, but that's probably fodder for another thread.

Oh, and I've never heard of the "Southland Wiskey Shithole". I'm surprised the OLCC let that one go through! Perhaps they don't serve the booze...

I'm fully on board the fried chicken train though. It scratches an itch I didn't even know I had. Good stuff! Love it. Looking forward to giving it a try up here.

Buen provecho

#171 nervousxtian

nervousxtian
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 06:04 PM

That KFC at Boke isn't what most people would consider "fried chicken".

-1200e138422b8bd8.JPG

#172 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 12:11 AM

I don't believe there is any Korean fried chicken in Portland.  I would put all those others under Other.  I didn't have time to fill out the list more.  After the popularity of Pok Pok's wings, though, a lot of Thai restaurants added wings to their menu.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#173 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 07:19 AM

I believe Woodsman's fried chicken is on Tuesdays, not Thursdays (unless they switched it up).

#174 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:02 AM

I'm a fan of the Korean wings at Ate Oh Ate.

Bonus during Happy Hour is the $5 MaiTai and you can get the wings ala carte @ 5 for $5

#175 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:43 AM

I was just going to say Ate-Oh-Ate. Those are good wings. I think you'd like them Zuke, as you and I are both fans of FOTM and Country Cat. It's a great HH deal (the whole menu) but if you do a burger, do the original Aina burger, not the HH burger...it's a fantastic burger.

Laurelhurst Market is not on there, I believe it is Tuesdays only for the fried chicken, all day at the counter and as a special on menu for dinner in the restaurant.  (fyi, tonight is Ben Bettinger's first night as chef there)

Never give up! Never surrender!

#176 nate

nate
  • Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:51 AM

They don't sprinkle seasoning. They're doing it in the style of Nashville hot chicken.  They take a seasoned oil and baste the outside of the breading, which is why, I think, it can't be delicate.

Fwiw, I was just there yesterday and, in addition to the seasoned oil, which I liked, they most definitely had added a ton of dry spices (seemed like paprika, chili, and thyme, but I can't be sure) on one side which created the strange, unpleasant, and overseasoned spice paste mike is referring to. Clearly they're still dialing in their recipes so it might be a little early to be saying anything categorical about the way they're prepping their chicken.

I really liked my GF's original crispy (I do enjoy substantial breading), and the spicy probably would've been good without the added seasoning too. Think I'll give them some more time to cut back on the questionable experiments before I return. Also, while the biscuit was awesome, I hated the mac. I guess if you like the processed cheese sauce/soup with a smattering of noodles style you might be happy, but as someone who prefers a more balanced version that uses real cheese(s), I was pretty disappointed.

#177 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:24 AM

I don't believe there is any Korean fried chicken in Portland.  I would put all those others under Other. 

Kim Jong Grillin' asked fans on their facebook page if they wanted KFC or some other special item added to the menu next. Everyone chimed in KFC, so this might be something to watch for.

EDIT:  I said it somewhere upstream and I'll say it again, I thought Tanuki's KFC at the KitchenCru lunch counter was incredible.  Hopefully we'll get to see that again some day.

Tasty & Alder does a KFC bowl with rice, egg, pickles and kimchi that is very good.  I don't know if that would qualify though for a "fried chicken destination" dish on the list above.  Your call.

#178 truth

truth
  • Members
  • 679 posts
  • Interests:scientist, artist, philanthropist, industrialist, bicyclist

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:41 AM

Ate oh Ate has something KFC like

(modern signature COMING SOON)

#179 bwolff

bwolff
  • Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:52 AM

FYI: (from egullet)

http://www.friedandtruebook.com.

50 recipes for "america's best" fried chicken:

Classic Southern Fried Chicken: Arnold's Fried Chicken with Fried Green Tomatoes & Turnip Greens; Thomas Keller's Buttermilk Fried Chicken; Mary Mac's Fried Chicken & Tomato Pie

American Originals: Michelle Bernstein's Fried Chicken & Watermelon Greek Salad; Federal Donuts Fried Chicken & Sauce; Asha Gomez's Keralan Fried Chicken Lowcountry Cardamom Waffles, and Spicy Maple Syrup; Yotam Ottolenghi's Seeded Chicken Schnitzel with Parsley

Asian-Inspired Recipes: Charles Phan's Hard Water Fried Chicken; Ma'ono Hawaiian-Inspired Fried Chicken with Sesame Roasted Carrots & Tamarind Goat's Milk Yogurt; Maharlika's Blue Purple Yam Waffles & Skinless Fried Chicken

Sandwiches, Wings, Small Bites and Special Diets: Anchor Bar's Buffalo Wings with Blue Cheese Dip; Ina Pinkney's Gluten-Free Fried Chicken Recipe; Sweet Chick's Vegetarian Fried Chicken; Ellie Krieger's Oven-Fried Chicken

#180 philthyanimal

philthyanimal
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 08:43 AM

i'm a big fan of fish sauce wings from paadee.  crispy medium thickness tempura batter that holds its crunch and heat quite well.  i used to like koi fusions kfc when they had it at the location that closed years back...not really a fan of what they put out now.  ate on ate is the only place that does decent kfc that i know of.