Fried Chicken in Portland

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#21 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 13 September 2006 - 03:36 PM

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that Tuck's is now closed.

#22 nagrom

nagrom
  • Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 04:01 PM

Anyone been to Chicken Little on NE Glisan? I think it's at, like, 71st or something. It apparantly only does fried chicken. It looks from the outside like it could either be horrendous or the best. Don't know anyone who's tried it though.

#23 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 04:10 PM

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that Tuck's is now closed.

They're still open.

#24 tuckerdog

tuckerdog
  • Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 04:15 PM

If people wanted to do a Fried Chicken get together, I could volunteer my house. I have a couple of deep fryers, don't ask why, and could handle some skillets as well on the cooktop. Fried Chicken appropriate sides, desserts and individual chicken battered and coated chicken could be the to bring items.
If on a Sun, Nick and Ken could hopefully make it. I have Sunday Football ticket for those whos SO's care
Just a thought
Michael

#25 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 04:19 PM

If people wanted to do a Fried Chicken get together, I could volunteer my house. I have a couple of deep fryers, don't ask why, and could handle some skillets as well on the cooktop. Fried Chicken appropriate sides, desserts and individual chicken battered and coated chicken could be the to bring items.
If on a Sun, Nick and Ken could hopefully make it. I have Sunday Football ticket for those whos SO's care
Just a thought
Michael

Sounds great to me. Maybe we should start a thread.

#26 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 04:24 PM

Yes, Michael, yes.

I do fried chicken ala Alton Brown. It's the only chicken I've ever eaten that's been better than Simpatica or Ken's... and now that I look at it, it's pretty much Gus's. I may have to try the lard sometime, though I think my guy won't be happy about it.

Now I'm hungry. Sigh.

Yeah, right. :D
signature

#27 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 05:34 PM

Fryer Tuck's is the worst commercial fried chicken I have ever had. Christ, the Colonel's is better!!! If Tuck's ever changed the oil, there'd be a celebration!!! I had an ex that made it in a skillet who really rocked my world with fried chicken... and her mashers kind of took the cake too.

Maybe we need to have a fried chicken party!

Never been, but there's Fryer Tuck on SW Capitol Hwy. Plus, there's Tuck's Brewery, and usually breweries are good things.

#28 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 06:22 PM

I had Tuck's a couple months ago, and it was about as greasy and flavorless as you can get.

#29 Epicurious

Epicurious
  • Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 06:25 PM

Sadly gone for many years now, Nendells (formally on the site now occupied by the Shilo Inn on Canyon Rd.) served some amazing fried chicken with all the fixins. They even provided finger bowls and warmed towels, which smacked of some sort of gracious southern ritual. Wish it was still around. Sigh...

#30 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 06:48 PM

It was well before my time in Portland, Epicurious, but you make me wish it was still around.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#31 vj

vj
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:28 PM

Yes, Michael, yes.

I do fried chicken ala Alton Brown. It's the only chicken I've ever eaten that's been better than Simpatica or Ken's... and now that I look at it, it's pretty much Gus's. I may have to try the lard sometime, though I think my guy won't be happy about it.

Now I'm hungry. Sigh.

Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

Yeah, right, what, Ken?

Fryer Tucks' chicken is *so* bad. As is the beer. I know many love it, but dear $deity I am not amongst them.

#32 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 06:42 AM

Fryer Tuck Rocks!

They do good chicken and the Little John Spud are the ultimate JoJo.

There's a location on Swan Island now too.

There used to be a bunch of them in Portland but they faded away over the years

#33 Knobcreeky

Knobcreeky
  • Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:35 AM

Fryer Tuck Rocks!

They do good chicken and the Little John Spud are the ultimate JoJo.

There's a location on Swan Island now too.

There used to be a bunch of them in Portland but they faded away over the years

I've done the Swan Island location and it sure wasn't what I remembered from the Capitol Hwy location years ago. Chicken was WAY over breaded, Spuds were mealy and mushy and the baked beans might have had Elmers Glue as the secret ingredient.
The chicken was all placed in the fryer straight from a box that was taken straight out of the freezer.
Not sure what gives as I do have fond memories of the Capitol Hwy location.
"Shop smart- shop S-mart"- Ash

#34 thakrza

thakrza
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:39 AM

I too have wondered about that Chicken Little's place on Glisan. It has the look of the good places.

#35 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:22 AM

I thought Screen Door's fried chicken had a MAJOR flaw:

The fried chicken plate is a bit odd. The fried chicken has a chicken fried steak sort of breading, kind of thick and a bit hard. It's thick enough that a leg and thigh piece looks like one mass. As a result, the chicken skin underneath is not crisp at all and just acts as a layer of greasy wetness underneath the breading. The breading is therefore rather soggy at the layer that touch the chicken, and being so thick, that matters. The chicken itself tasted fine, was moist and cooked through. A little side of gravy was odd. It had chunks of tasso ham, and was a thinly flavored, slurry-thickened sauce. I would have preferred a meatier tasting traditional gravy studded with the tasso ham.

That slimy layer of chicken fat and skin was horrendous and ruined it.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#36 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 10:39 AM

I've done the Swan Island location and it sure wasn't what I remembered from the Capitol Hwy location years ago. Chicken was WAY over breaded, Spuds were mealy and mushy and the baked beans might have had Elmers Glue as the secret ingredient.
The chicken was all placed in the fryer straight from a box that was taken straight out of the freezer.
Not sure what gives as I do have fond memories of the Capitol Hwy location.

If the Capitol Hwy location ever was good, it's slid long and hard.

#37 Blueplate Beth

Blueplate Beth
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:25 PM

Chicken Little is on NE Glisan at 74th. It's really good, greasy (like ya'lls Southern mammas used to make) Fried Chicken, it's pressure fried/broasted.

Not much on atmosphere...but worth it for take out. Order the FC with a side of Jo-Jo's (globbed with ranch dressing for the full experience). Not health food, but good FC!

#38 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:43 PM

I thought Screen Door's fried chicken had a MAJOR flaw:

The fried chicken plate is a bit odd. The fried chicken has a chicken fried steak sort of breading, kind of thick and a bit hard. It's thick enough that a leg and thigh piece looks like one mass. As a result, the chicken skin underneath is not crisp at all and just acts as a layer of greasy wetness underneath the breading. The breading is therefore rather soggy at the layer that touch the chicken, and being so thick, that matters. The chicken itself tasted fine, was moist and cooked through. A little side of gravy was odd. It had chunks of tasso ham, and was a thinly flavored, slurry-thickened sauce. I would have preferred a meatier tasting traditional gravy studded with the tasso ham.

That slimy layer of chicken fat and skin was horrendous and ruined it.

That's definitely more direct, and now I can see what you're saying. Poached chicken skin does linger a bit on the palette. And with fried chicken, it's not like you can peel it off...what would be the point in eating the stuff in the first place.

I'm intrigued by the comments about Bernie's – as I understand it, it's boneless? So is it just a deep fried breast? Or like a chicken croquette?
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin

#39 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:00 PM

Here's a picture of Bernie's fried chicken platter:

Posted Image

It is boneless. I can't remember if it's skinless or whether it's only white meat. But as such, I think "fried chicken" is a misnomer and sets bad expectations.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#40 polloelastico

polloelastico
  • Members
  • 2,749 posts
  • Interests:Tantric yoga and deck shuffleboard

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:07 PM

Here's a picture of Bernie's fried chicken platter:

It is boneless. I can't remember if it's skinless or whether it's only white meat. But as such, I think "fried chicken" is a misnomer and sets bad expectations.

Looks like a chicken "finger" that's trying to get street cred by the sheer amount of delicious-looking breading. If so, I agree, that's poseur fried chicken. Fried chicken needs to be on the bone.

Is that mashed potatoes on the side? The white gravy gives me pause, but I do have a uncommon aversion to most white sauces.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” — George Carlin