Fried Chicken in Portland

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#181 nate

nate
  • Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 10:30 AM

Anybody tried Dub's St. John's (formerly Mack n' Dubs Excellent Chicken and Waffles at a different location)? I never made it to the old spot before it got burned down, and rarely find myself in St. John's, but am curious nonetheless. I've heard very good things.

#182 ricechaz

ricechaz
  • Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 05:51 AM

Had a chance to go to the old location one time. Fried chicken was excellent though I can't recall any of the sides being noteworthy. 

Charlie
Hood River, OR

"No matter where you go...
there you are."
Dr. Buckaroo Banzai

#183 FoodKid

FoodKid
  • Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:09 PM

I was there a few months ago. Chicken was quite good, and Dub is just a swell guy in general.

#184 Nacho_B

Nacho_B
  • Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 02:00 PM

Hola,

I literally rode by Fryer Tuck, and turned the bike right on around for some fried chicken. Yes.

I got the 2-piece snack box. It was good. It came to the table piping hot from the fryer. Enough so that I had to give it a bit of time to cool. I occupied myself with the fried potatoes that came with it (which were excellent). In addition to the chicken and potatoes it included some dill sauce for dipping. I’m normally lukewarm on fries, but I really liked their version (especially dipped into their ranch/dill sauce). I’d love it if someone offered tostones instead of fried potatoes, but you take what you can get in this country!

The crust on the chicken was pretty thin but super crunchy. I prefer a thicker (and spicier) crust, but this was still some good fried chicken.

I liked the place for what it is. It’s a bar, first and foremost, and a local one at that. Lots of folks there seemed to know each other. It’s a cool place. It’s not something I would routinely drive across town for, but I’d be glad to stop in anytime I happened to be in the area.

I look forward to trying some of the other options for fried chicken in this town.

¡Buen provecho!

#185 crepeguy

crepeguy
  • Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Purveyor of skinny pancakes.

Posted 25 September 2014 - 05:29 PM

My prayers have been answered: http://www.oregonliv...#incart_m-rpt-2

#186 jennifer

jennifer
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:26 AM

Saw on Facebook that the The Meating Place in Hillsboro is starting "Frickin' Fried Chicken" on Fridays.  Fried chicken take-out dinner. 

Meating Place:  6495 NW Cornelius Pass Rd.

Whole bird with 4 biscuits, 1 side & 4 fountain drinks is $27.

Half bird is 2 biscuits, 1 side & 2 fountain drinks $15.

Fridays 4 - 7 pm

Chickens locally grown in Canby by an "Eat Oregon First" farm.

Pic of what looks like the half-chicken box is on their fb page here.

#187 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 11:42 AM

Looks like the new west side Boke Bowl is going to have "Korean fried hot wings" at their new brunch (slated to start mid-November)

http://www.portlandm...-september-2014

Never give up! Never surrender!

#188 ariel88

ariel88
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 05:46 PM

I had the fried chicken add-on at the west side last week, and it was seriously the best fried chicken I've had all year. Extremely moist, breading very thin and crispy, seasoned well. My dining partner had never been to Boke Bowl, and she was stopped in her tracks by the chicken. Good stuff.

#189 mymil

mymil
  • Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:11 PM

Brussels sprouts + fried chicken is my go-to at Boke Bowl east. Really great fried chicken, good mustard sauce as well.

#190 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 02 October 2014 - 01:18 AM

Went and tried Fryer Tucks.  Yeah, definitely downhill. It's not bad, just average now.  No reason to go out of your way for it.  The seasoning is all gone.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#191 ricechaz

ricechaz
  • Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:43 AM

Went with the family to Irving St. Kitchen this past weekend. Got a chance to try their fried chicken. Really good version. Nice flavor and very moist. You get a half chicken with the order. Has a nice almost acidic flavor, just slight that must be part of the brine which was a nice addition. Crisp coating. Only criticism was the coating didn't seem entirely adherent to the bird. Gravy on the potatoes was fantastic and greens were well done. I'd have it again. 

I'm a glutton for fried chicken. I miss the KFC when Tanuki was at KitchenCru. Country Cat does a nice job. But sometimes, Popeye's is what I want after all these years. 

Charlie
Hood River, OR

"No matter where you go...
there you are."
Dr. Buckaroo Banzai

#192 Nacho_B

Nacho_B
  • Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 02:12 PM

Hola,

¿Qué lo que?

I'm still into fried chicken. I've been trying some of the options around town for the last ~6 months or so.

I finally got around to trying Reel-M-Inn on SE Division. Had driven by it hundreds of times when living in SE (back when SE Division used to be a good way to travel east-west). It certainly seems to get more than its share of press attention. The chicken was good as were the jojos, but I don't think it's best in class. Being a condiment freak I did appreciate the cardboard 6-pack holder of sauces that comes with it. That was a nice touch. I wonder if the glowing press reviews are more about nostalgia for a Portland that is all but gone. It's like a tombstone for what Division used to be. Vale. I enjoyed their chicken, but would rather check out the other options before going back there.

Recently ate at Dub's St Johns, in the Ranger tavern on Lombard. I got the fried chicken dinner with baked beans and collard greens. It came with a corn muffin. I ate everything, which I don't usually do with US restaurant portions these days. It was very good. The chicken was well prepared. I prefer a thicker, spicier crust, but that's a personal preference. The baked beans were great and the collards were tasty (although a bit drier than most versions I've had). My friends got the mac and cheese and I enjoyed that too. Good cornbread.

The 2 folks running the kitchen were super friendly. Dub came out and visited each table. It seemed genuine too. He shook hands, talked about the food, talked about their kids and whatever else came up. You can bring kids in until a certain hour (I think it was 7pm, but that may be worth fact checking). The ratio of "families with kids" to "mustaches" was much different than SE Portland. It's a low key spot. Beers from the 21+ "Bar side" of the house were $4 (instead of the dreaded 5 dollar 16oz "pint"). Parking is ample and free. I liked it. Next time I'll try the catfish. They deep fry it and have a pan-fried preparation too.

From a straight-up flavor standpoint, my favorite so far is Son of a Biscuit. They have the thicker, spicier crust that I prefer. I hate the name of the place (which is how they answer the phone too) but I like their chicken. Wasn't as much a fan of the sides, but it's my kind of chicken.

From an overall experience/ambiance Dub's is my current favorite. They have the best baked beans I've tasted too.

¡Buen tiempo en el mundo del pollo frito!

¡Buen provecho!

#193 mymil

mymil
  • Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 05:33 PM

I ate at People's Pig for the first time last night and tried all the meats on their main menu (fried chicken, ribs, pork shoulder—the lamb special was already sold out, unfortunately): the fried chicken was outstanding. The breading stayed crunchy even as it cooled. Well-seasoned, and smoking the chicken before frying it adds what is in my opinion unparalleled depth.