• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#1 loti

loti
  • Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:51 AM

Hi All,
Any recommendations for good Fried chicken in the Metro PDX area including the westside?
I don;t know what it is but I've been craving Fried Chicken and don;t really care for going to KFC;) I'd rather make it at home myself.

Thanks for all the help!

Brian

#2 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:56 AM

Ken's Place has great fried chicken.

#3 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:09 AM

And I honestly don't know where else to recommend besides Ken's. I loathe Bernie's Southern Bistro and their fried chicken heresy.

#4 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:36 AM

HA! I was just going to recommend Bernie's fried chicken. I really like it a lot, myself!

I've eaten at Ken's Place but still haven't tried the fried chicken there. Lots of folks say it's the best. Another great piece of chicken can be found on Sundays at Simpatica for brunch. They offer chicken and waffles and the chicken is really, really tasty. If you go there be prepared to wait in a long line for the rest of your life (it seems) to get it. It'll be worth it once you get seated and have your meal in front of you. I'd go to Simpatica more often if it weren't for that damn long wait. John doesn't mind because there is an endless supply of Stumptown to keep him stoked.

Best regards,

Amanda

#5 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:40 AM

Bernie's doesn't make, technically speaking, fried chicken. They make something closer to chicken fried chicken in that it's a boneless piece of breast meat breaded and deep-fried.

I'd think that the best bet besides Ken's Place would be somewhere in North Portland, one of the soul food/BBQ places. But I've never explored their fried chicken.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#6 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:42 AM

I've had Yam Yams fried chicken, and it's ok but I much prefer their other items and wouldn't go there just for FC. Not enough flavor.

Of course their chicken-fried pork chops are a different story... :D

#7 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:50 AM

I'd had decent fried chicken at Doris', but it was years ago. It was deep fried, though, which isn't right.

I wish there was someone else so I can eat it somewhere besides my own place, which can get a little old sometime.

Have been to Simpatica for the first time 2 Sundays ago. Then for the second time last Sunday. It was terrific, I thought - a few minor quibbles but very easily dismissed. Didn't order the fried chicken, though - that's next. But really liked just about everything else, as well as the service and setting. Got there both times when they opened the doors at 9, so there was no wait and the food came in a very timely manner. Terrif, and a great addition to Portland's growing list of temptations!
signature

#8 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:03 AM

I don't think there's anything wrong with deep fried chicken as long as it's done well. It's just a slightly different dish than pan fried chicken. I prefer the latter because I like the darkened bits that get created in the uneven cooking method and I think it does a better job of crisping the skin, not just the breading. But technically, deep-fried chicken should be juicier and produce a more even and crunchier crust. Simpatica's is deep-fried, I believe, as are most since it's faster and takes up less space.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#9 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:57 AM

I love deep-fried chicken. It's just not very authentic, and not quite the same. A bit like doing your Tandoori chicken in a convection oven - tasty but not quite...right.
signature

#10 loti

loti
  • Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:11 AM

Thanks Alot. I think we are going to try Ken's and then Simpatica.
I'll post a review after I go.

#11 thakrza

thakrza
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:31 AM

Back in the Southland, while cast iron skillet fried chicken is more prevalent, deep fried chicken makes some stunning appearances. So it can be "authentic" as well.

And if you wanna know the god's truth on the matter, Popeye's, when that stuff comes fresh outta the fryer, kicks ass. It isn't approaching "homemade", but it ain't no slouch (has to be fresh out though). Everyone back home who loves fried chicken eats and loves it. What are you gonna do when you just want a coupla pieces and aren't in mood to cook or drive to Gus'? You go to Popeye's. I am glad they are here.

#12 Hakan

Hakan
  • Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:47 AM

Try the Screen Door on E Burnside. It's good.

#13 thakrza

thakrza
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:50 AM

Here. This is Gus' Fried Chicken (Mason, TN) recipe. It rules. EXCEPT--use Crisco, not Peanut Oil!!! Use peanut oil for frying turkeys.

1 (3-1/2 lb.) chicken, rinsed, cut into 8 pieces
1 quart buttermilk
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons Paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper (generous amount)
Peanut oil for frying ...

-- Trim the excess fat and skin from chicken pieces (but don't remove all the skin).

-- Arrange chicken pieces in a single layer in a non-reactive pan.

-- Pour buttermilk over chicken and toss to make sure each piece is well coated.

-- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.

-- Combine flour, paprika, cayenne, salt and pepper (at Gus', it's a little heavy on the pepper) in a large plastic bag.

-- Drop chicken pieces into the bag, one at a time, and shake until well coated with flour mixture.

-- Pour oil in a large cast iron skillet. (At Gus', it's a deep skillet for deep frying.)

-- Heat oil until it's hot but not smoking.

-- Add chicken, the largest pieces first, skin side down.

-- Work in batches, if necessary.

-- Reduce heat to medium.

-- Cook, turning once, 12-15 minutes per side. (At Gus', chicken is done when it floats to the top.)

-- Drain and season to taste with salt and pepper.

Gusí World Famous Fried Chicken is located at 520 Highway 70 in Mason. Hours are typically 11a.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Monday; 11 a.m. to 6:45 p.m. Tuesday through Thursday; 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Friday and Saturday; and 11 a.m. to 6:45 p.m. on Sunday. No credit cards are accepted, so bring cash or a local check. For more info, you can contact Gusí original Mason, TN eatery at 901 294-2028. Gusí has also opened a Downtown Memphis location at 310 S. Front Street. Their phone number is (901) 527-4877. Donít forget to bring enough money for a Gusí T-shirt, which will make you new friends wherever you might roam.

#14 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 12:26 PM

Sounds very similar to mine, except use lard, for god sakes! It makes a superior product and it's better for you than Crisco.

I love Popeye's, in a pinch! Though the quality of their chicken they use is a bit suspect. Still, it's probably the best fast food chain ever (though that's a bit like saying Dick Cheney is the best Republican ever). :D
signature

#15 thakrza

thakrza
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 12:36 PM

Yeah, my friend who is the best Southern cook I know of says Crisco or lard but I grew up with Crisco, and yeah, you right! I do buy the zero trans fat version!

Indeed re: Popeyes. They are the best fast food chain ever. I can't mention D.C. in the same sentence though with the godlike Popeyes!

Memphis has this one chain, Jack Pirtles, that is really pretty gross, but their mashed potatoes, yeast rolls and gravy are so insanely good. Sometimes we'd just go there and eat the chicken b/c we wanted the gravy!

#16 Knobcreeky

Knobcreeky
  • Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 12:55 PM

RE: Yam Yam's- Chicken wings are the way to go. Avoid the other part's. If you can wait until Sunday, do the buffet. All you can eat Soul Food- how can you go wrong.

RE: Doris'- When she was doing BBQ at the place where Pizza-a-go-go is now they would offer fried chicken as a special and it was KILLER. They added it to the menu-still killer. They moved up to Russell St. (where Russell St. BBQ is now) still good but not nearly as good. They closed for awhile and re-opened on N. Williams and it is not good. I heard that it might have closed again.

RE: Popeyes- Spicy, right out of the fryer rules. I don't like the sides but the biscuits are OK. Last couple of times have been overly greasy but that is what the biscuits are for.

RE: Ken's- On my to-do list
"Shop smart- shop S-mart"- Ash

#17 tuckerdog

tuckerdog
  • Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 02:25 PM

I keep threatening my kids, that i am going to make Fried Chicken for them some night, and this thread may finally make that threat come true
Question for the experts
I have heard and or read on several occasions that is better to season the chicken directly , after the Buttermilk bath and before dipping in flour. The rationale was that if you add the seasons to the flour, the direct contact with the hot oil can burn the seasonings and result in an off or bitter taste. The theory I guess is that if the seasonings are on the chicken and then you coat with flour, the flour will protect them from this awful fate
Comments?
Thanks in advance
Michael

#18 vj

vj
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 03:06 PM

Yes, Michael, yes.

I do fried chicken ala Alton Brown. It's the only chicken I've ever eaten that's been better than Simpatica or Ken's... and now that I look at it, it's pretty much Gus's. I may have to try the lard sometime, though I think my guy won't be happy about it.

Now I'm hungry. Sigh.

#19 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 03:11 PM

Maybe we need to have a fried chicken party!

#20 Snarky

Snarky
  • Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 03:22 PM

Maybe we need to have a fried chicken party!

Never been, but there's Fryer Tuck on SW Capitol Hwy. Plus, there's Tuck's Brewery, and usually breweries are good things.