Giorgio's

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 salmonfly65

salmonfly65
  • Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:40 AM

Three of us headed out yesterday with a goal to have lunch at Southpark for a quick, simple bite to eat. Due to the power outage, we were turned away at the door. We drove by several other SW restaurants and found that the outage was larger than we thought. We crossed Burnside and drove around until someone said, "hey, they've got power." I'd never been to Giorgio's and neither had my two lunch mates. Looked nice from the outside, so why not.

We were seated next to the only other party in the place. It was eerily quiet in the restaurant. I kept thinking that we'd get menus at some point and was surprised to learn that the Daily Specials on the small chalk board at the foyer WAS the menu. The waiter brought over another board and set it on a chair for us to consider. Options included a hazelnut bisque and salad for starters. We ordered a bottle of wine and thought about the few options available. We tried the rigatoni with brussel sprouts, sea bass, and pappardelle with boar ragu (my order). Each dish was $15.

We thought the portions were perfect for each dish. I didn't try the rigatoni and had a small bite of the sea bass. The rigatoni was stuffed with some cheese and fennel, I think, and I was told that the brussel sprouts were some of the best according to my friend. The sea bass was very good - not over cooked with just enough seasoning (salt and pepper). The boar ragu, honestly, was the best I've had here in town. Jake Martin at CARLYLE does a wonderful job as does Nel Centro, but this dish was almost perfect. My only complaint was that the pappardelle was a little "wet." I noticed that comment above too.

If anyone knows of another place you think has a better boar ragu, I'd love to try it. Parking was easy to find, there was no waiting, service was pleasant, it was quiet, and the food was really good and reasonably priced.

#22 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:49 AM

I have not eaten it, but Nel Centro has a boar ragu served with their herb gnocchi.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#23 salmonfly65

salmonfly65
  • Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 02:10 PM

Back here today for lunch. Same boar ragu as last time. And pappardelle was still very wet. The nice touch came at the end when the waiter, and possibly the owner, said "thanks for supporting us." It was as if Ken had me tailed and suggested the comment due to my recent meal at Henry's.

#24 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 02:33 PM

Back here today for lunch. Same boar ragu as last time. And pappardelle was still very wet. The nice touch came at the end when the waiter, and possibly the owner, said "thanks for supporting us." It was if Ken had me tailed and suggested the comment due to my recent meal at Henry's.

Yeah...that and 10 bucks! ;)
signature

#25 Anjoli

Anjoli
  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:05 AM

Ive never had the boar ragu at Giorgio's, but I love the boar ragu at Piazza Italia (NW 12th & Johnson). I believed it is served over pappardelle as well.

Three of us headed out yesterday with a goal to have lunch at Southpark for a quick, simple bite to eat. Due to the power outage, we were turned away at the door. We drove by several other SW restaurants and found that the outage was larger than we thought. We crossed Burnside and drove around until someone said, "hey, they've got power." I'd never been to Giorgio's and neither had my two lunch mates. Looked nice from the outside, so why not.

We were seated next to the only other party in the place. It was eerily quiet in the restaurant. I kept thinking that we'd get menus at some point and was surprised to learn that the Daily Specials on the small chalk board at the foyer WAS the menu. The waiter brought over another board and set it on a chair for us to consider. Options included a hazelnut bisque and salad for starters. We ordered a bottle of wine and thought about the few options available. We tried the rigatoni with brussel sprouts, sea bass, and pappardelle with boar ragu (my order). Each dish was $15.

We thought the portions were perfect for each dish. I didn't try the rigatoni and had a small bite of the sea bass. The rigatoni was stuffed with some cheese and fennel, I think, and I was told that the brussel sprouts were some of the best according to my friend. The sea bass was very good - not over cooked with just enough seasoning (salt and pepper). The boar ragu, honestly, was the best I've had here in town. Jake Martin at CARLYLE does a wonderful job as does Nel Centro, but this dish was almost perfect. My only complaint was that the pappardelle was a little "wet." I noticed that comment above too.

If anyone knows of another place you think has a better boar ragu, I'd love to try it. Parking was easy to find, there was no waiting, service was pleasant, it was quiet, and the food was really good and reasonably priced.

#26 salmonfly65

salmonfly65
  • Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:48 PM

Ive never had the boar ragu at Giorgio's, but I love the boar ragu at Piazza Italia (NW 12th & Johnson). I believed it is served over pappardelle as well.

Will give that a try next week - thanks for the recommendation.

#27 romarocket

romarocket
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:34 PM

Giorgio's is the best restaurant in town. (end thread)

#28 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 06:35 AM

Do you have some reasons why you believe this?

#29 romarocket

romarocket
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:29 PM

Do you have some reasons why you believe this?

Yes I do. Giorgio's past few Chefs have a great amount of restraint. I think 90% of the high- end restaurants in town go too far by adding too much thereby muddling the dish/ ingredients itself. Whether some restaurants stretch the truth by localizing everyhting is another debate on its own, but Giorgio's doesn't pretend to be something they are not. I also believe they perfected the 'casual upscale' niche that many have tried to capture.
In short, Giorgio's serves the type of food I'd expect in NYC. It's 'grown up' food. I admire their simple, fresh approach with solid technique.

#30 salmonfly65

salmonfly65
  • Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:18 PM

Drove by today and it looked very dark. Have they shut it down?

#31 romarocket

romarocket
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 06:28 AM

Drove by today and it looked very dark. Have they shut it down?

I don't think so- I was there last week and all seemed fine. I think Giorgio would've mentioned it to me.

#32 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 28 October 2010 - 02:37 PM

http://www.oregonliv...w_giorgios.html

When the doors of a restaurant first open, proud owners are present to preen over the newborn, schmooze with well-wishers, hopeful about what the future holds. Kitchen staff are poised to perpetuate the proprietor's vision. Servers work the room, burbling with enthusiasm, embarking on personal adventures of their own.

When the veneer of novelty dissolves, great places hum, mediocre ones muddle and the sad cases stumble. The passage of time is cruel and unrelenting, and even once-revered restaurants can lose their swagger.

Recent visits to Giorgio's, a longstanding Pearl District Italian restaurant, brought this point home. Opened in 2000, it was lauded in a 2005 Oregonian review as approaching "Portland's highest restaurant levels" and awarded an A-.

Today, Giorgio's is tired and, frankly, hardly worth taking a chance on.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#33 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 03:44 PM

Wow, an honest review in the Oregonian...a C+ (which was probably generous, even judging from my last visit there a few years ago), and brutal honesty. How rarely does that happen in that rag, even in years past??

Who would have ever thought I would say this? Good goin' MCZ for tellin' it like it is...

Guess there is nothing to lose at the O for ya these days considering what's going on...might as well go for it...
Never give up! Never surrender!

#34 JoeDixon

JoeDixon
  • Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 10:01 AM

Yikes! Giorgio's has never let me down, but to be fair, I only go there once a year (I do live in Chicago after all). Giorgio himself has always been gracious and personable, service is always top-notch (and not just compared to other Portland joints) and I often recommend the place to visitors as an under-the-radar, low key Portland secret. I'll be back in January, and hopefully things have taken a turn for the better.