• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Dan

Dan
  • Members
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:Spicy food and bacon.

Posted 03 September 2006 - 01:33 PM

My apple trees are going nuts, bearing way more fruit than I can eat or dehydrate, so I thought it would be fun to press some cider. Does anyone know where I could borrow/rent/use a cider press for a couple of hours? Thanks for any advice in advance.

#2 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 07:26 PM

Call the rental place in town. Interstate Rentals and Barbur Rentals would be where I'd state. Most of the cider presses come with a grinder too.

#3 Dan

Dan
  • Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 12:01 PM

Call the rental place in town. Interstate Rentals and Barbur Rentals would be where I'd state. Most of the cider presses come with a grinder too.

Thanks Maximo, it looks like Barbur Rentals does have one...I'll give them a call.

http://www.barburren...ervice/pans.htm

...drat! They said "the last time it got rented out, it came back damaged beyond repair." Maybe Interestate Rentals.

#4 Dan

Dan
  • Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 12:04 PM

Thanks Maximo, it looks like Barbur Rentals does have one...I'll give them a call.

http://www.barburren...ervice/pans.htm

...drat! They said "the last time it got rented out, it came back damaged beyond repair." Maybe Interestate Rentals.

Darn, no love at Interstate Rentals either. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

#5 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 05:40 AM

Here are a few more places to try - you might also try Steinbart's - they're a beer and winemaking suppy in SE PDX - they might know a place to rent one.

Bob's Rentals And Sales

Parkrose Hardware

Portland Rent All Eastside

Lewis Rents

#6 Dan

Dan
  • Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 04:56 PM

Here are a few more places to try - you might also try Steinbart's - they're a beer and winemaking suppy in SE PDX - they might know a place to rent one.

Bob's Rentals And Sales

Parkrose Hardware

Portland Rent All Eastside

Lewis Rents

Yippee! Steinbart's came through - thank you very much for the suggestion.

Portland Rent All also has one, but it's hand-cranked, while Steinbart's is electric and has a built in grinder that feeds properly pre-macerated apples into the press.

BTW, if anyone is interested, Steinbart's charges $30 for a 3-day rental, but is pretty much booked solid until early October.

#7 karmalaundry

karmalaundry
  • Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:20 PM

Man, if my parents had only kept theirs, I'm sure that they'd let you borrow it.

They donated it to Fort Vancouver years ago. :rolleyes:

#8 Dan

Dan
  • Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 10:36 AM

Cider press from FH Steinbart worked out great!

We processed something like 150 pounds (very rough guess) of apples: Granny Smiths and Gravensteins from my trees. I only have one of each tree, but the Granny Smith was a lot more productive, so by weight we probably had something like 70% Granny Smiths.

We wound up with 5 gallons of juice--drank some on the spot, sent some home with family and friends, and kept 3 gallons for me: 1 gallon for drinking as juice, 2 gallons for fermenting into hard cider.

The juice is really outstanding - I think that everyone was surprised by just how good it tastes. It's much much better than anything I've had in the past - even going out to orchards and buying their "fresh-squeezed" cider doesn't get an equivalent product. (Which makes me wonder just how fresh it really is.)

At any rate, thanks again for the tip on the cider mill. Wish me luck as I fumble my way through my first attempt at making homebrewed hard cider.

#9 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 01:23 PM

Hard Cider is normally made from Cider Apples - they have quite a bit of tannin in them. You may find that your cider made from dessert apples ends up very soft in the mouth.

Good luck with it.

#10 CiderHouseBBQ

CiderHouseBBQ
  • Members
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:Cookoffs, ethnic foods

Posted 19 September 2006 - 04:33 PM

StMaximo, it sounds like you know your way around making cider or other similar brewed concoctions. I have been wanting to get into making apple cider (not the hard variety), as well as trying my hand at other fruit bases. Are there good sources in Portland area for supplies, training, etc?

#11 Plump_and_Juicy

Plump_and_Juicy
  • Members
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 05:09 PM

Mr P and J spent Saturday morning at the Gabriel Park garden area with a bunch of volunteers. I'm not sure how many pounds of apples they pressed, but he brought home a gallon of mixed apple juice, and half a gallon of Asian pear juice. Other people brought their own containers, so there was plenty to go around.

I have a mix of the apples that they used, but I'm at a loss to identify them. I think I'll make a big apple crisp.

You could call the Portland Parks department and ask them about their press(es) and talk to the woman in charge of the community gardens about the whole process. I think she knows quite a bit about apples.

#12 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 05:22 AM

Cider House,

I've made a beverage or two in the fermented style. I have a couple of books on cider making if you'd like to borrow them send me a PM. They are primarily aimed at hard cider, but apple cider is the precursor.

Steinbarts in SE PDX is the place to go for processing equipment. They are primarily a Beer Making Supply place, but they have Winemaking and other supplies as well - apparently even a cider press and apple grinder. There is also a home orchard society locally. I believe the they do apple tastings at Portland Nursery this time of year. Portland Nursery could certainly put you in contact with somebody within that organization.

Basic Apple Cider is pretty easy to make if you have the equipment. A blend of apples works best for flavor. I've seen used equipment for sale from time to time in the classified ads. If you put it into plastic jugs it freezes well too. I used to like to pull a couple of gallons out for the kids at Thanksgiving.

#13 OregonAmy

OregonAmy
  • Members
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Beer<br />Food<br />Cheese

Posted 21 September 2006 - 05:57 PM

I think Steinbart's will hook you up with a cider group as well. We bought some fresh apple juice from a woman who was referred to us by the staff at Steinbart's and it was fantastic.

Unfortunately, bacteria got into the AJ before we fermented it (into cider), and it ended up tasting a little like sulphur.

We drank it anyway. :P