Kraft "Blue Box" American Cheese???

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 thakrza

thakrza
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 06:23 PM

OK, food snobs, just stop right there and hold your snarky tongues! Others, do you know what the heck this is and where I can buy it? I am testing a recipe of the famous Pancho's Cheese Dip (if you grew up in the Memphis TN/ARK/MS area, you definitely know of this and are likely a fan) and it calls for this, not Velveeta.

#2 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 06:54 PM

I looked at both Safway and Albertsons online and it looks like Albertson has it. You can browse the store without having to log on.

#3 thakrza

thakrza
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 07:23 PM

Thanks, kristi!

#4 m5570

m5570
  • Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 10:22 AM

what is Pancho's cheese dip?

#5 thakrza

thakrza
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 10:58 AM

It is legendary. It was originally the dip that they give you at this famous OLD "Mexican" restaurant in West Memphis, Arkansas. Pancho's is worth a visit if only to bug out on the original 40's stucco building and anachronism of a dining room. It was the locale of many wild parties during WW2 and later--sailors and the wilder Memphis girls would cross the river to dance and eat "Mexican".

Well, at some point in the 70's or 80's, Panchos began to package their cheese dip and salsa for sale in grocery stores. The salsa is disgusting, but the cheese dip is unlike anything else in the world. It is a pale cheesey orange with noticible flecks of black pepper and not much else--everything has pretty much been pureed to oblivion. It isn't thick but it isn't thin. It is very salty, so you inevitably eat to much and feel like crap. You would never imagine how addictive it is. It is, simply put, delicious. I have never met a soul who didn't see the light.

#6 m5570

m5570
  • Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 04:38 PM

when you figure out the recipe (and if you're willing), can you post it?

#7 thakrza

thakrza
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 05:00 PM

My husband found it online so here 'tis:

Pancho's Cheese Dip

2 lb Kraft American Cheese (use blue box only, NOT Velvetta)
1 can Rotel-mild
1 can Rotel-hot
2 tsp Garlic powder
2 tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 can water

Bring all ingredients except cheese to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes. Cut cheese into cubes. Process all in blender until well blended. Serve at room temp with tortilla chips. We like it served cold also.

note--instead of rotel I have used large can whole tomatoes and fresh jalapeno peppers. Slice peppers and do not use seeds. Add a little black pepper also. Be very careful with peppers. It's hard to judge the degree of "hot" when using peppers. But if you like hot, go for it! I usually use 1 medium pepper.

***I made it the other night and it is CLOSE--way better than "Ro-tel" (the infamous with Velveeta--which my Memphis pals are calling me a heretic to abandon it for this), but not QUITE it. I think it needs more water to thin it a bit or at least I need to puree even more than I did. I used all Hot Ro-tel and added some salt & pepper. Overall, a success! I will half the recipe next time cos this recipe is a party amount. What is great about this dip is it is great cold or room temp where the ol' "Ro-tel" cheese dip is a gummy mess within 5 minutes of heating.***

#8 PDXWine

PDXWine
  • Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 01:19 PM

OK, food snobs, just stop right there and hold your snarky tongues! Others, do you know what the heck this is and where I can buy it? I am testing a recipe of the famous Pancho's Cheese Dip (if you grew up in the Memphis TN/ARK/MS area, you definitely know of this and are likely a fan) and it calls for this, not Velveeta.

I'm surprised you're even asking this question. This is a staple item at supermarkets and should be available anywhere you go - as long as the market is "mainstream", not Whole Paycheck, New Seasons or Wild Oats and the like. Try Thriftway, Safeway, Albertsons, Fred Meyer and your corner convenience store. Sometimes it still goes on sale for $.50 a box or some such ridiculous price. I think it was routinely $.20 when I was growing up.

#9 thakrza

thakrza
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 01:29 PM

I swear, I had never seen it! It wasn't at Safeway next to the Velveeta, but it was at Albertson's. It is insanely expensive. $6.50 for a 1 lb box.

Even my friends in Memphis said you can only find it in the boondocks...Velveeta rules supreme there, unfortunately.

A friend in Texas said Land O Lakes has an even better melting cheese that is used at many places down there.

#10 PDXWine

PDXWine
  • Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 10:38 AM

We must be talking about two different items if what you're seeing is that expensive. I'm referring to the elbow macaroni with a nasty (but comforting), orange powdered substance. You add milk and butter along with the powder once the macaroni has cooked and I think you'll find it near the pasta, Rice-A-Roni and Hamburger/Tuna Helper (God forbid). Mom served it a lot when I was a kid.

#11 thakrza

thakrza
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 10:42 AM

No, now THAT everyone has to know.

If you read the recipe above, it is for a cheese dip and specifically called for a box of American Cheese not Velveeta.

#12 PDXWine

PDXWine
  • Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 10:49 AM

If you read the recipe above, it is for a cheese dip and specifically called for a box of American Cheese not Velveeta.

Geez, brain fart. I misread the title. Once I got to "blue box" I just figured mac 'n' cheese. My apologies.