Ten-01

• Please log in to reply
294 replies to this topic

#41 atlas

atlas
  • Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 10:40 AM

I've been to Ten-Zero-One a few times now and think they have a lot of potential. I appreciate the ambition in design and the achievement of vision for the space, especially upstairs. Staff has been friendly and accomodating. I'd say my lunch experience was probably the best of all. I had the Sliders. Giddy up.

Dinner left me unimpressed but that was in their first few weeks so I feel really getting into that would be unfair, although I would agree with Twitch about the beef... I'm not sure if we had the same dish but what I had was med. rare as requested but it was luke warm and oddly dry. My dining companion enjoyed her meal (pork) and we both appreciated our first plates. Although, I had a tuna carpaccio special app. and I was mildly troubled at the thickness of the tuna(1/3 an inch)... it was fine (actually quite tasty) but if that's the case just don't call it carpaccio because it confuses expectations.

I am doing exactly what I feel is unfair, and getting detailed about my experience there so shortly after opening... bottom line from my perspective is this, they were perhaps having a little difficulty with execution early on.

I do have one complaint that I will put it out there and hope they do something about it because I feel it diminshes an aspect of their service. It's their wine glasses... however, let me say I am not a wine snob and will happily drink wine from tumblers should they match the enviroment.

These aren't tumblers though, Ten01 uses Riedels which is nice but IMO they really need to stop using Chablis Riedels for the by the glass red wines. I know there is or was a connection to the Dundee Bistro and they do the same thing there, it seems that terrible habit came along for the ride.

I wish I could understand the logic behind this... they have a very nice sommelier who seems to be a sensible and able person. Is it a cost thing? If so, lose the Riedels for the BTG and get a proper sized universal red glass... better yet use Bordeaux and Burgundy glassware for red across the board. Or at least explain why they find it acceptable to drink red wine from a glass nearly as narrow a flute?

#42 Jill-O

Jill-O
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 03:32 PM

Nearly as narrow as a flute and yet not a flute...which is what we were sereved champagne/sparkling wine in, too. Maybe when you order by the glass, that's the glass you get, period?

So yeah, maybe when they put in the order for red wine glasses they can get some champagne flutes while they are at it?? ;o)

Have you tried happy hour/the bar menu there yet? I don't know that I want to do dinner there again, but I would try them for happy hour and/or lunch.
Never give up! Never surrender!

#43 atlas

atlas
  • Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 05:04 PM

I have yet to try the HH or bar menu, but I have heard positive things about it...

#44 LadyConcierge

LadyConcierge

Food is good

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 07:06 PM

I just noticed they changed the format of the menu. It's a lot more user-friendly now. The website is updated too:

http://www.ten-01.com/index.html

#45 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 19 January 2007 - 07:18 PM

Someone on Chowhound said they had changed chefs. Anyone know anything? I tried to call but just got an answering machine.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#46 LadyConcierge

LadyConcierge

Food is good

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 08:03 PM

Adam's still the Exec. Chef and Eddie's still Chef de Cuisine.

#47 Twitch

Twitch
  • Members
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 09:29 PM

It blows me away how much they continuously tweak the bavette. Seafood options looking good.

#48 kitchenmilitia

kitchenmilitia
  • Members
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:the real deal!

Posted 20 January 2007 - 10:57 PM

eaten there a couple times with various friends who hadn't been before.i cant really say ive ever
thought the food was any good.its like some 1994 fusion and you would think that with like 10 cooks standing around in there that they might get it right.they don't.the wine list is great though!

#49 lutece

lutece
  • Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:06 AM

We had dinner last Saturday. We had been in for a drink after theatre a few weeks ago, and were impressed by the vibe and welcome we got. I had dropped off my wife, gone to park the car. She was seated, and while she was waiting for me, a staff person came over and engaged her in a pleasant conversation about the play. We liked the place, thought we need to come back here.

We had a reservation foulup at Sungari Pearl on Saturday, and gave Ten-01 a call. They were able to take us immediately, and they really saved the evening for us. The service was prompt, friendly and excellent. The meals for our party of four all were from the menu LadyConcierge posted. The pea shoot salad was unusual, and terrific. Entrees were drunken beans, sunfish, pork cheeks, and halibut cheeks. I'd rate all the meals highly, certainly on a par with Tabla. I'd call Ten-01 a high quality restaurant, well-appointed, in a good location, run by people who seem to know what they're doing. We'll certainly go back.

Only drawback - by 8:30 or so, place was full and the noise level was roaring. We were seated on the mezz, and there seemed to be a large party going downstairs. The mezz might be a good seating choice on weekends.

#50 LadyConcierge

LadyConcierge

Food is good

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 04:00 PM

I tried the pea shoot with beets salad last night as well. It might be a new favorite. I think it has house made blue cheese vinaigrette tossed in there, too.
Ten 01 was kind enough to host our Concierge Association meeting and plied us with good food and drinks. Another standout was the quail pate with whole grain mustard and crostini. Other dishes were:

truffled deviled eggs
truffled french fries
steak tartare with capers, red onions and parsley
soft shell crab with white bean puree (I think) and mango salsa

#51 whippy

whippy
  • Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:37 PM

Had a couple of real dogs here tonight.

Little slabs of yellowtail were boring. A brandy aspic served with them diminished the flavor of the yellowtail rather than complemented it. The aspic's color matched the decor demonstrating where interior design and culinary design must part ways. Ugh.

Squid pasta in kumquat sauce. Please post here if you like this dish. I thought it sounded intriguing (and it does, yes?) but therein may lie the effervescent nature of intrigue. The reality is grody. Orange flavored cream sauce is just not delicious. I should have known better. There were other flaws with this dish that don't need recounting in my book, compared with the chief one.

I'm afraid those two losers have colored my perception for the worse, but I did enjoy the restaurant. The etchings and floral patterns are nice. I actually like the staircase. And the desserts were very, very good. Especially the panna cotta layered with orange foam and lemon gelee. I'd eat that again happily!

Nicely done but unremarkable were the tandoor cooked sturgeon and the steak tartare. I almost wish they would forego the conceit of the 'tandoor' and simply call it a 'hot oven.' Alas, that would be more accurate and less romantic.

The service was efficient and timely. I disliked the obsequious style and the elevated enthusiasm.
I love how yummy food makes me feel happy!!!!!!

#52 lutece

lutece
  • Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:43 AM

This weekís issue of Willy Week has one of the most brutal reviews of a restaurant Iíve seen in any PDX publication. I ate there 10 days before this review, and the menu items the reviewer was savaging donít even look like the menu I was ordering from. Did we eat at the same place? Aside from its harshness, the review is unusual in a couple other ways Ė itís a full page, and itís in the middle of the paper, 20 pages away from their regular restaurant reviews. I really don't recall seeing that kind of play given to a review before. Makes me wonder if thereís some behind-the scenes agenda in that review.

Iíve eaten there only once, but our party of 4 found nothing at all to complain about in the quality, preparation, or price of what we had. I wouldnít rate the restaurant among Portlandís top 10 at this early stage, but hey, did the guys who run Tabla suddenly forget everything they knew about the business? I donít think so, but what do I know?

#53 Egads

Egads
  • Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:02 AM

This weekís issue of Willy Week has one of the most brutal reviews of a restaurant Iíve seen in any PDX publication. I ate there 10 days before this review, and the menu items the reviewer was savaging donít even look like the menu I was ordering from. Did we eat at the same place? Aside from its harshness, the review is unusual in a couple other ways Ė itís a full page, and itís in the middle of the paper, 20 pages away from their regular restaurant reviews. I really don't recall seeing that kind of play given to a review before. Makes me wonder if thereís some behind-the scenes agenda in that review.

Iíve eaten there only once, but our party of 4 found nothing at all to complain about in the quality, preparation, or price of what we had. I wouldnít rate the restaurant among Portlandís top 10 at this early stage, but hey, did the guys who run Tabla suddenly forget everything they knew about the business? I donít think so, but what do I know?

I was surprised by the length of it, as last I had heard they had instituted a 500 words max policy on their restaurant reviews (which really hurt the quality of the reviews, I thought.)

#54 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 12:40 PM

Yeah, I complained about the review both on their site and on the media thread. They say the menu needs to be overhauled, but apparently either weren't paying enough attention to note that it actually was overhauled prior to the publication or didn't care. Pretty shoddy, though, for a publication with as much power as the WW has to put out such a negative review without realizing it wasn't accurate anymore.

Also, the review had almost nothing good to say about the food, even for items pretty consistently liked here, PF&D, and Chowhound.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#55 whippy

whippy
  • Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:03 PM

The article mentions that the menu changes every four or five days.

Was the menu overhauled in some more dramatic and specific way at some point?
I love how yummy food makes me feel happy!!!!!!

#56 boy_asunder

boy_asunder
  • Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:58 PM

Also, the review had almost nothing good to say about the food, even for items pretty consistently liked here, PF&D, and Chowhound.

Food Dude has amended his earlier like of the place, though. He now "agree[s] [with the review] on just about every point."

http://www.portlandf...rink.com/?p=886

#57 chefken

chefken
  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:29 PM

Leslee and I had drings and a few apps last night and it was pretty mediocre. Decent fries but pretty lackluster steak tartare and the halibut cheeks salad that might have been one of the single worst restaurant items I've eaten in the last 5 years. Truly. Consisted of a wholly unadorned tuna salad-like glop of some stringy, underseasoned fish, served in a small, rectangular dish. Could have put it on the floor and called it Friskie's. For 12 bucks. Garbage.
signature

#58 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:28 AM

Was the menu overhauled in some more dramatic and specific way at some point?

I believe so. This has been talked about by Lady Concierge, eg.

Food Dude has amended his earlier like of the place, though. He now "agree[s] [with the review] on just about every point."

That's convenient timing. I'm skeptical that a place would go from needing a few tweaks to utter shit. I still haven't eaten there and can't offer an opinion on the food, but I am very wary of such an overtly hostile review and such a quick turn around by Food Dude.

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#59 atlas

atlas
  • Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 09:58 AM

I am concerned for Ten-01. After my Jan. 13th mention of it here I did go back a day or two later, I had piqued my own interest. The food was again not really up to speed. I won't go into details I would imagine they are reeling from the past fews days of "press"... instead I'll express my larger concerns.

I have been hearing from many people this same sentiment and those people do not intend on returning anytime soon. My experiences there don't have me returning until the spring (I figured I'd give them some more time to work it out.)

I was hoping they could get it together before something like the WW review surfaced, but sadly no... couple that with PF&D's recent words. I don't begrudge either, having also experienced sorely sub-par experiences there. Being such a new establishment I would say they could have used the kid gloves (something to inspire improvement) rather they used a two by four and a safe out of a seven story window. But critics will do what critics will do.

My concerns... the reviews (blammo) the word of mouth (double blammo). What do they do to pick themselves up and turn it around? I would suggest they get together and define a plan that includes a significant change back of the house (new direction) and do some serious PR to get the word out... I would imagine it is early enough for them to turn it around. I wish them the best.

#60 Leonardo

Leonardo
  • Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 10:19 AM

Last time I was there was end of December. I used the online coupon they had on their website. Meal was great in every way until I presented the coupon. They grilled me like you wouldn't believe, seeming unwilling to accept it and suspicious that I was trying to somehow defraud them: "Where did you get this...was it emailed to you from someone...?" I said I got it straight from their site, and if they don't like the poor printout quality, it's not my problem, as there was no "print-friendly" button to push, and they should take it up with their web person. They then begrudgingly took it. Sheesh.
Homer, upon seeing an ear of corn at a market: "Interesting...it reminds me of a corndog, only without the dog!"

Thanks to http://kawaiinot.com/icons.php for the avatar.