Cocoa nibs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mkmnw

mkmnw
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 06:50 PM

(My first post here) Does anyone know where I might find cocoa/cacao nibs for sale in Portland?

Thanks for any leads!
-m

#2 foodjunkie

foodjunkie
  • Members
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Dining, food safaris, hiking, fishing, bird hunting, gardening, sustainable agriculture, wild mushrooms, wine, single malt, cigars

Posted 08 February 2005 - 07:50 PM

Howdy and welcome to the foryum...I know, I know...I'm a sucker for bad puns. :roll: :wink:

Give Chocosphere a shot for nibs. www.chocosphere.com

Just scroll down the page a bit and you'll see Valrhona nibs.

http://chocosphere.c...rhona-chef.html

Or if you prefer Scharffenberger...

http://chocosphere.c...ffenberger.html

Or you can support the folks from Oregon at Dagoba.

http://chocosphere.c...cts/dagoba.html

You can order them online or if you call them and ask nicely you can probably pick them up from their distribution site in SE PDX/Milwaukie area. FYI, they're probably slammed right now due to Valentine's Day, but I'm betting that they probably have plenty of nibs in stock.
A complete lack of caution is perhaps one of the true signs of a real gourmet: he has no need for it, being filled as he is with a God-given and intelligently self-cultivated sense of gastronomical freedom.

M.F.K. Fisher

#3 mkmnw

mkmnw
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 10:53 AM

Cool. Thanks! Maybe I'll contact Chocosphere AFTER the 14th... Some of my favorite baristas made me a bicerin (wow--taste sensation) the other day, and we were trying to brainstorm fun things to do with coffee and nibs.

Lovely pun. Wish I could think of one right now. Thanks again. -m

#4 foodjunkie

foodjunkie
  • Members
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Dining, food safaris, hiking, fishing, bird hunting, gardening, sustainable agriculture, wild mushrooms, wine, single malt, cigars

Posted 09 February 2005 - 11:53 AM

Cool.  Thanks!  Maybe I'll contact Chocosphere AFTER the 14th...  Some of my favorite baristas made me a bicerin (wow--taste sensation)  the other day, and we were trying to brainstorm fun things to do with coffee and nibs.

Lovely pun.  Wish I could think of one right now.  Thanks again. -m

MMMMMMMMMM....I'd like to try a Bicerin made w/ Dagoba Xocolatl...(insert drooling emoticon here)
A complete lack of caution is perhaps one of the true signs of a real gourmet: he has no need for it, being filled as he is with a God-given and intelligently self-cultivated sense of gastronomical freedom.

M.F.K. Fisher

#5 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 11 February 2005 - 02:32 PM

I'm pretty sure In Good Taste and Whole Foods both carry them. I don't know if it's a well-stocked product or not, but I think I've seen them at both. They're part of Scharffen Berger's line of products, which helps. You might try New Seasons and Pastaworks, too.

And welcome, btw.

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's