• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#41 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 12:06 PM

Mostly Running and Others,

I can assure you that Hilary and Chris take constructive, industry-focused criticism very well. Keep it on that level, and, you will have return on your time investment (posting here).

It seems to me that most people here have too much time on their hands. A lot of this banter is completely unfounded. And, some of you have not even dined there.

Most people? Return on our time investment? Is there an ROI measurement for the time we waste on the internets?

Tell ya what, you go ahead and build up some credibility here, and perhaps we'll take any of the above seriously.

#42 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 12:18 PM

It seems to me that most people here have too much time on their hands.

Yes, insulting us is a good way to get your point across. Come on, now. Most of us aren't discussing the food because you are right, we haven't eaten there. Rather, we are discussing the way this whole thing has been handled, which we have the right to do. Posting what you just did is not helping their cause at all or making me want to eat there. Tell me about the food and why I should spend my money there, that's what I want to hear about.

#43 Daaaaave

Daaaaave
  • Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 12:30 PM

Some random thoughts:

Grant Butler is such a hack. A couple being hard pressed to drop $100 for a meal not exactly a sterling recommendation.

I see 2 posts by one of the owners and (at least) one post by someone on a first name basis and there hasn't been a single sentence regarding the actual dining experience posted by MR.

Hard workers do not necessarily make great cooks. I know this from sad experience.

I find the attempts to cut off discussion far more disturbing than MR's original post. It's one thing to find out about a review of your restaurant and share some information, it's quite another for that person and their proxies to try to limit that discourse. MR's language may walk the line between OTT and poetic license, but he *did* talk about the food and experience he had, so jibes about "industry-focused criticism" fall short.

"Leave them alone" - Be careful what you wish for. Posts like these enhance the maxim about the number of people customers tell about good and bad meals, not diminish it.

#44 Jamesongrrl

Jamesongrrl
  • Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:Tied for first: Travel & Food & Motorcycles (particularly my BMW 650 GS)

Posted 18 August 2006 - 12:30 PM

Love my Blondies and other new posters-
If you wish to post a good starting point is reading: http://portlandfood....p?showtopic=879

Love to my Blondies:
I do smirk at your statement that 'we have to much time on our hands', particularly when you are choosing to participate as well.
This is a food board. We all love food. We are here to talk about food (in its many incarnations.)
I'm sure you have some 'group' you participate in whether or not it be knitting circles, mommies club, poker night, on-line gaming or whatever. It is very arrogant and degrading to imply that this community is any less valuable than what may interest you. Particularly when you've actively chosen to come here to slam it.

Most of us understand that we might have a different opinion, palate and experience than someone else regarding a restaurant.
We like to talk about food to point other foodies to great places, talk about why we were disappointed and debate on reasons.
Someone posted a bad review of a restaurant- it happens. Other owners have spoken up to correct misunderstanding and open doors of communication- some of which still are members of the community.
We appreciate the dialogue.
But, you have to remember, it is just one person's opinion. And there will always be a negative one.

I think MostlyRunning did Iorio a disservice by not telling them he was unhappy.
and
I was fine with Hilary's reply. But I'm now loosing faith with them- with the sudden 'baiting' of good reviews, the snarky reply of their acquaintances. It seems if they are over-reacting to one bad review, making a mountain out a molehill, and actually making it worse.
Jamesongrrl
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

#45 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 18 August 2006 - 12:43 PM

Hey Gang!

Had to do it. Just HAD to go to Iorio today for lunch. I've got the day off for Dr appointments, so with my lunch hour free that is where I headed.

My lunch experience at Iorio was very good! I ordered what I wanted, which was an eggplant wrap with roasted pepper and goat cheese and the special of the day, which was Albacore Caesar salad. I was quickly informed they were out of the eggplant thing so I ordered the salmon crab cakes.

Before my food arrived the chef came out with two dishes I didn't order: Foccacia with a squash puree and roasted garlic cloves and some kind of marinated chickpea salad. This was a wonderful surprise! The foccacia was fresh and good. The chickpea salad was awesome, too. BUT...the best thing of all, of the whole meal, in fact, to me, was the squash puree! That was incredibly wonderful. I believe it was meant to be spread on the bread, but I ate the bread up and saved the puree to eat purely on its own. I cannot rave on enough about it.

The salmon crab cakes were impressively displayed. There were four of them with some type of green sauce and in the middle a pile of fresh greens liberally sprinkled with a high quality balsamico (or certainly a lot higher quality than what I've got in my cupboard at home). They had a bit of a kick to them. They were a bit dense and rubbery, texturewise and more salmony than crab, flavorwise, but I thought they were pretty good.

The Albacore Caesar was pretty nice. The albacore had been treated with a cuminy rub and was warm in the salad. It was a whole romaine leaf concoction with light dressing and plenty of parmesan cheese. No croutons, though. If this is a special and you're inclined toward a salad I'd go for this if I were you.

I couple minor quibbles I have is that many folks' water glasses were refilled, but some people who had been seated didn't get water for quite a time and my glass was not refilled the whole time I was there. Then I had to flag down the chef to get my check. The wine list didn't look like anything I'd order from. No merlot, shiraz or reisling. That's all the negative I have to say, though.

From my point of view I would say the food is more than edible. I'd say it's downright good! Hilary, if MostlyRunning thinks the food is inedible and obviously has no desire to eat there I'LL TAKE HIS FREE DINNER!!! No problem. And I'm ready to take my boyfriend there for dinner sometime and to try a happy hour with my friends.

Based on my own experience and my own opinion this one time today, I recommend it and say give it a try, folks!

Best regards,

Amanda

#46 Jamesongrrl

Jamesongrrl
  • Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:Tied for first: Travel & Food & Motorcycles (particularly my BMW 650 GS)

Posted 18 August 2006 - 01:21 PM

You're a plant aren't you Amanda????
There were way to many exclamation points!!!!
;)

You know I love you. :D
Jamesongrrl
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

#47 Laksa

Laksa
  • Members
  • 789 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 02:01 PM

The restaurant is ok after all? And Hillary has been bearing this vicous grudge since January? Well, that sounds to me like a working example of passion. Bearing a grudge is often only a negative way of caring deeply.

Fellow foodies, may I suggest to you that Hillary is a kindred spirit?

I say Bravo Hillary and I suggest that everyone go eat there and give this place some love. I know I'm going to, and I'll try to bring a crowd.

#48 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 18 August 2006 - 02:11 PM

How come this always happens when I go away for a couple days....

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#49 Epicurious

Epicurious
  • Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 03:25 PM

I think the most interesting aspect to this thread has little to do with Iorio. It goes to the very core of the blogosphere in general. As recently evidenced on "another site", many posters offer up the strogest of opinions when critiquing someone elses. Most of the respondees on the subject of Iorio have never been there, and yet, like myself, feel compelled to talk about something, regardless. So, in that spirit, I offer up the following:

1. I thought mostly running's original post was on the snide side, but at least he actually ate there, so good or bad, his post has merit.

2. The owner(s) over-reacted to his post. I would also add..."a day late, and a dollar short".

3. I find it odd that some of the folks here feel the need to coddle the owners. Go to thier restaurant because it sounds good, not because someone gave them an bad review and you somehow feel thier pain.

4. Ironically it wasn't MR's comments, but the review in today's paper, and Amanda's post that would deter me from checking out Iorio. I came away from reading both with the sense that they were both putting a positive spin on mediocre.

#50 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 05:48 PM

I thought it was good. That's all I'm saying. I post here a lot, but my opinion is not any better than the next person's. I don't claim it to be, either. My food desires are very subjective and I'm easily influenced, admittedly.
It's up to others and their tastebuds to see how they define it personally. I'm not saying there isn't better food out there, but let's just say it was better than I expected it to be. I'll go back to try their calimari for sure and possibly a pasta dish next time.

The two reasons I went was because 1. Screen Door is not open for lunch and, 2. After seeing the menu on line and hearing what was posted the past day or so my curiosity led me there. If it was to see a train wreck so be it, if it was to have a decent meal, fine. I was willing to put my stomach and my credit card on the line for it. I can't be a plant. I never even knew about this place, really till yesterday. In fact, when other things were posted originally months ago it didn't even register on my radar screen.

Now that it has I will go again. I really love that unique squash stuff and the calimari I saw people eating who were seated at the front window looked delightful. I was in the mood for fish flesh and refrained from calimari today because we are talking about going to the Coast tomorrow, possibily Cannon Beach, where I like the calimari at the Wayfarer. I don't know if that is where we'll end up, but maybe.

Anyway, I don't care what people think of my review. I liked the place, I'll eat there again, and I don't mind telling others about it. It's not Carlyle, but I'm not going to the poor house over dining there, either. HA!

Eat where you want. I'm just saying it was enjoyable to me. That's just one person's opinion. Good, bad or ugly.

Best regards,

Amanda

#51 Tea Cup

Tea Cup
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 06:02 PM

If find another interesting point of this thread is that if you're not listed with 500+ posts, if you're not constantly commenting on everything everyone says, you're not considered "credible" by the group. You're nothing but a troll.

I've been a reader of this blog for well over a year, even though I've only been posting a short time. I have both chuckled and frowned at some of the personalities and behavior displayed by the membership, and take it all with a grain of salt, or MSG, as it were. ;)

One thing I do know is that I value the discussion, and I'd hate to stop reading it because the membership decided that infrequent posters weren't welcome to join in when they feel compelled to. The group already has a fairly middle-school like cliqueness to it, with the constant rally around certain establishments and utter disdain of other perfectly servicable places. Granted, many will say life is too short for serviceable food, but some of us can't spend a fortune every night, or make it downtown to the carts during the day. God forbid a reader lives in the 'burbs... we're considered just hopeless hacks out here.

I intend to keep reading and posting on occasion, until the day comes that my infrequent-posting, suburb-living, non-constant gourmet food eating self gets evicted. Or worse, ignored completely. Wait... that's not too far from what happens now... :D

#52 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 06:24 PM

You've got some valid points there, TeaCup. Those of us who have been here since the beginning tend to honor each other's words more than infrequent posters, I suppose. But I think that is because many of us actually know each other and the ONLY reason we know each other is because we all LOVE food. Our world isn't just cyberspace, we are kind of a community of diners.

I don't want anyone to feel intimidated or unwelcome because they've only posted a few times. At the same time, I'm not big on negative, which is why I'm a tunnel-visioned weirdo and stay mostly with this forum instead of some other local ones. We can get heated here sometimes and we do stick up for our friends, but this site isn't as frequently drenched with acid as others. That's the way I like it, at least. I like people to play nice. I like being out of the line of fire of the internet's equivalent of a malatov cocktail (and I like cocktails, usually!)

As for clickish, it may seem so to others who prefer to relate on-line rather than in person. For the most part we're not faceless fingers flying on the keyboard. We get together and relate to each other face to face in eating situations frequently. You are welcome to join us anytime. And we do venture out to the suburbs. We're not so bad. Our bite is not as bad as our bark...unless we're chowing some grubbin' Q or some tasty tacos!

If anyone feels I post too much go ahead and say so and I won't take offense. It probably wouldn't hurt me to don a self-imposed muzzle now and then to be perfectly honest, or in this case tie my fingers into knots so I don't post to this board.

Best regards,

Amanda

#53 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 06:36 PM

Tea Cup - I know I responded in a not-so-nice way to Love My Blondies and that was simply because she came on and started bashing us in her very first post. There is a right way and a wrong way to join an on-line community, and hurling insults is not the way to do it. With that being said, I rarely if ever look at the number of posts someone has. True, if I know someone in real life, their reviews or opinions may have more meaning for me, especially if we have similar tastes, but I never discount the opinions of a new poster, either. Also, if someone posts that they had a bad experience somewhere, I don't question that because it was their experience and not mine. We really are a nice group and while a lot of us are friends in person, we always love to have new people come and join us. Plus, I live in the 'burbs and have been known to order from Pizza Hut and go to Red Robin and they haven't kicked me out yet ;).

Amanda - Great response, very well said!

#54 Calabrese

Calabrese

Desaparecido

• Banned
  • 5,970 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 06:50 PM

If find another interesting point of this thread is that if you're not listed with 500+ posts, if you're not constantly commenting on everything everyone says, you're not considered "credible" by the group. You're nothing but a troll.

Tea Cup, I'd like to address this part of your post. The only people who have been called trolls on this site are folks who come here deliberately looking to stir the pot. We have disagreements and some of them occur via PM not just on the threads. But folks who want to be insulting to long time members and start flame wars are trolls and will be called out as such. And if a long time member started that same behavior, they'd be called out too.

Obnoxiousness and starting flame wars are for trolls. Community members find ways to be civil even when they disagree.

As someone else pointed out, many of us dine together in real time. That means that we know each other's tastes. So while there are people here whose palates I know and trust, I'd still never go to a Mexican place they recommended because I'd still not like the food and still deal with the after effects of food allergies. And it could be that every once in awhile, my experience or opinion of a particular restaurant will be radically different than others. I truly don't understand why so many people here like Paley's. But I had a very disappointing experience there. Enough so that I don't intend to give them another chance despite lots of other members saying I should.

I think the "group-think" you've accused of us is more preception born out of whatever your internal filters are than reality. You really have limited data points to judge us on, and even then I doubt you've read every single post on this site.

And I also live in the 'burbs so I am not sure what that has to do with tastes in food. I do know how to get around to try all kinds of restaurants.

#55 karmalaundry

karmalaundry
  • Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 07:02 PM

I just noticed that it finally opened, so I hope to go there soon.

As a side note, I went to 3 Doors Down last night and had the Vodka Penne with Sweet Italian Sausage. Flat out delicious and I will be going back for it again soon.

Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

Hahahahha, they've sucked you in! I have been going to 3DD since they opened and the dish that got me hooked was the vodka penne. They've grown and expanded massively (with the takeover of the hair salon I think it was) adding that great, if a little too small, bar area. I've never had a bad meal there, and the female owner/hostess is a good person to know and seems geniunely warm and concerned about the place. No wonder it's gotten bigger.

#56 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 18 August 2006 - 09:04 PM

Hey Gang!

Had to do it. Just HAD to go to Iorio today for lunch. I've got the day off for Dr appointments, so with my lunch hour free that is where I headed.

My lunch experience at Iorio was very good! I ordered what I wanted, which was an eggplant wrap with roasted pepper and goat cheese and the special of the day, which was Albacore Caesar salad. I was quickly informed they were out of the eggplant thing so I ordered the salmon crab cakes.

Before my food arrived the chef came out with two dishes I didn't order: Foccacia with a squash puree and roasted garlic cloves and some kind of marinated chickpea salad. This was a wonderful surprise! The foccacia was fresh and good. The chickpea salad was awesome, too. BUT...the best thing of all, of the whole meal, in fact, to me, was the squash puree! That was incredibly wonderful. I believe it was meant to be spread on the bread, but I ate the bread up and saved the puree to eat purely on its own. I cannot rave on enough about it.

The salmon crab cakes were impressively displayed. There were four of them with some type of green sauce and in the middle a pile of fresh greens liberally sprinkled with a high quality balsamico (or certainly a lot higher quality than what I've got in my cupboard at home). They had a bit of a kick to them. They were a bit dense and rubbery, texturewise and more salmony than crab, flavorwise, but I thought they were pretty good.

The Albacore Caesar was pretty nice. The albacore had been treated with a cuminy rub and was warm in the salad. It was a whole romaine leaf concoction with light dressing and plenty of parmesan cheese. No croutons, though. If this is a special and you're inclined toward a salad I'd go for this if I were you.

I couple minor quibbles I have is that many folks' water glasses were refilled, but some people who had been seated didn't get water for quite a time and my glass was not refilled the whole time I was there. Then I had to flag down the chef to get my check. The wine list didn't look like anything I'd order from. No merlot, shiraz or reisling. That's all the negative I have to say, though.

From my point of view I would say the food is more than edible. I'd say it's downright good! Hilary, if MostlyRunning thinks the food is inedible and obviously has no desire to eat there I'LL TAKE HIS FREE DINNER!!! No problem. And I'm ready to take my boyfriend there for dinner sometime and to try a happy hour with my friends.

Based on my own experience and my own opinion this one time today, I recommend it and say give it a try, folks!

Best regards,

Amanda

Thanks for your post, Amanda!
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#57 Flynn

Flynn
  • Secondary Admin
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 09:44 PM

One thing I do know is that I value the discussion, and I'd hate to stop reading it because the membership decided that infrequent posters weren't welcome to join in when they feel compelled to.

It's not at all about how frequently you post. I haven't been here long, and have only briefly met people here. But I also was smart enough to not start out here (or any other forum I'm on) by insulting the members as having too much time on their hands and smarmily suggesting how we could get more out of our efforts. Maybe a few posts and some participation and I'd give it more credence, even if I thought that was a dumb opinion.

I mean, read that post again. That's their 1st post! You can't possibly think that would work on meeting a group in-person for the first time, right?

Teacup, I don't care how many posts or what standing on a freakin' food blog people have. It's all about what you contribute and how you interact.

#58 ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG
  • Admin
  • 18,350 posts
  • Interests:Me like food.

Posted 18 August 2006 - 11:03 PM

Maybe we could start a separate thread for the meta-discussion and keep this one -- at least somewhat -- related to Iorio...

The greatest service chemistry has rendered to alimentary science, is the discovery of osmazome, or rather the determination of what it was. ~Brillat-Savarin

Nick Zukin, Mi Mero Mole

Co-Author, Artisan Jewish Deli at Home

Formerly, Kenny & Zuke's

#59 dehory

dehory
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 11:32 PM

On topic:

There was a really enthusiastic - borderline sycophantic - review of Iorio in the Friday Oregonian...

#60 StMaximo

StMaximo
  • Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 11:32 PM

I don't know if I'll ever make it to Iorio.... but I've found this whole thread and the reaction to the posts facinating.

Hey MSG - Don't you ever sleep?