Iorio Restaurant

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#21 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 17 August 2006 - 06:45 AM

Thanks for responding Ms. Benson. Sometimes I get to thinkin' that it's just us foodies on the site. It's nice to see that owners and operators look to us for feedback as well.

I have not eaten at your establishment, so I cannot comment on anyone's dining experience.

But by and large, most people on this site, and likely Mostly, are just relaying a dining experience. As a consumer, I appreciate a frank post.

#22 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 09:48 AM

Hilary-
I understand your feelings and how it can be hard to read a negative review about your restaurant. I, however, do not feel that Mostlyrunning was malicious, in my opinion Mostly simply gave an honest and frank review. It is admirable that you have offered Mostly another meal on you and I only wish that all restaurant owners cared about their customers as much as you and your husband obviously do. That fact alone makes me want to come eat at your restaurant.

Best of luck to you and your husband!

#23 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 09:56 AM

Labeling a good portion of the food as totally "inedible" seemed a little bit intense to me. I thought the review was a little over the top. Welcome to the site, Hilary!
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life
and contributes immensely to goodwill and happy companionship.
It is of great importance to the morale.

-Elsa Schiaparelli

(Avatar is the cover of Sunlight Cafe by Mollie Katzen)

#24 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts
  • Interests:Eating, cooking, kayaking, canoeing, letterboxing

Posted 17 August 2006 - 10:01 AM

Where is this restaurant at? I say hurray to Hilary for at least addressing the issue and trying to make it right for Mostlyrunning. I admire that! Better than some methods some owners resort to, that's for sure.

Best regards,

Amanda

#25 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • Members
  • 1,463 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 17 August 2006 - 11:31 AM

Where is this restaurant at? I say hurray to Hilary for at least addressing the issue and trying to make it right for Mostlyrunning. I admire that! Better than some methods some owners resort to, that's for sure.

Best regards,

Amanda

I agree! As I am of Southern Italian descent, I am looking forward to trying this place. Sounds like Chris and Hillary have a lot of passion and that can't be bad!
Ciao!

Iorio Restaurant
Iorio is located across the street from the Lucky Lab Brew Pub
912 SE Hawthorne Blvd.
Portland, Oregon 97214
--------------------
You cannot legislate compassion into your fellow man (or woman, as the case may be), but we should at least attempt to create a society in which each individual has the opportunity to realize his or her potential. If we meet our citizens' needs for Health Care and Education, everything else will take care of itself. --Me

#26 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 12:06 PM

Very good! Maybe we should do a happy hour over there sometime just for kicks --Ioria, not Lucky Lab.

Best regards,

Amanda

#27 Kristi

Kristi
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 02:39 PM

Did someone say happy hour? That sounds good to me!

#28 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 03:19 PM

It does sound good!
Pamela

Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life

-Elsa Schiaparelli

#29 karmalaundry

karmalaundry
  • Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 05:33 PM

Thanks for responding Ms. Benson. Sometimes I get to thinkin' that it's just us foodies on the site. It's nice to see that owners and operators look to us for feedback as well.

For those of you following along at home, here's the link to Mostly's comments:

http://portlandfood....ic=630&hl=iorio

I have not eaten at your establishment, so I cannot comment on anyone's dining experience.

But by and large, most people on this site, and likely Mostly, are just relaying a dining experience. As a consumer, I appreciate a frank post.

Thanks for putting the original link. All I have to say is that his comment does seem like it was being vicious for viciousness sake. Feisty doesn't enter into it. Hell, if I have that much trouble with the food my party is eating, I'm going to get a waiter's attention and calmly and politely explain the issue. Despite the fear some might have of getting something done to their meals, I think that if you're being honest and not being a pretentious ass about things, they're likely to help you.

#30 Guest_MostlyRunning_*

Guest_MostlyRunning_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2006 - 06:55 PM

Hillary,

I don't feel as though my comments were malicious. Despite having two other meals at your restaurant that were as bad or worse than the first, I chose not to post about those experiences. If my comments struck you as being vindictive or about anything other than my less than awesome initial experience, I apologize. I am sympathetic to those in the restaurant industry who are in it because they are passionate about food and the lifestyle that being in the biz allows. While I appreciate the offer of a free meal, I politely decline the invitation. As I said initially, I wish you the best, and I really hope you and yours, like any small business, find your niche.

Since you don't respond directly to any of my comments (granted they were from a menu you had 8 months ago), I guess that you can't contradict them. I hope that other members of this board go to your restaurant and have pleasant meals. With local produce at the height of the season, I have hope that your menu has a lot to offer.

Regarding not commenting on the quality of the food we received: it was obvious that there was nothing the kitchen could do to correct how bad it was. Simple. At that point it was a write-off. I am fine with returning something to the kitchen that came out in a way that was not intended. I forgive the expo who doesn't notice a dish when it was wrong. When the quality of the raw materials is clearly the problem, there is little point in sending it back. I would rather save the server and the kitchen the trouble and let them focus on the audience that might actually enjoy what is being offered.

I think it is good that you responded on this board, but suggest that putting my handle in the subject line was poor form. You could have accomplished more by addressing my initial criticisms on a point by point basis in the original thread or by sending me a personal message with your kind invitation. Perhaps a moderator could merge this thread with the original so that it is more about the restaurant and less about the one experience I wrote about?

Again, good luck.
MR

#31 Laksa

Laksa
  • Members
  • 789 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 09:31 PM

I am completely on MostlyRunning's side here. I'm speaking as somebody who wishes those who have the passion and courage to start restaurants all the best, but also as somebody who is increasingly disappointed in the quality of restaurant food. That's what learning about it and trying to cook unusual dishes will do for you, and I think most of the people here are travelling along that path, for better or worse. We're foodies, and as such our comments are ultimately motivated by narcissism.

But I wonder whether getting panned by a foodie is really all that terrible anyway. Either the foodie in question is some hopeless perfectionist or chronic disser nobody is ever going to please or else the foodie is saying something possibly worth heeding. Hillary, I encourage you to cultivate a robust psyche like that of our own chefken. There are many restaurants around town which flourish in the complete absence of foodies' interest or approval. In fact collectively we are probably a huge pain in the ass: hard to satisfy, demanding special consideration, patronizing the waiters right back when they patronize us, etc. etc. etc.

Truly, you'd make better money and sleep better at night if foodies were simply to vanish. Until that happens, though, decide for yourself whether the comments have any merit. If they do, may I suggest that you take them to heart and improve your restaurant? I guarantee you that if a foodie had determined that you had, he or she would love to share the news here first.

#32 lario

lario
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 11:23 PM

I just came across an old ad for Iorio. It seems to have slipped under the radar. Willy Week briefly reviewed it in December 05. Their on-line menus don't look bad. Has anyone eaten there? What are your thoughts?

We were a party of 5 and were well treated by courteous and helpfuol staff! Chris (owner/chef) added a gracious, engaging element that elevated teh dining experience to one of fond memory!
The starters were very good - especially the focacia. The mussels were melt in your mouth variety. I very much enjoyed my ravioli. The corkage is tres reasonable at $8! then Chris wanted me to try a Napa Valley zinfandel and lo and behold it compelmented two pasta dishes. Food an dwine combing to a high degree!
desserts were scrumptious - especially the advance tasting of the blueberry tart (due on future menus)
Grappa finsihed us off wiht regaling of past meals in Venice and Lucca. This is a real find!!!!
Five of us had cocktails, apps, entrees, shared sessert for under $30 a person. Do not pass go; but do collect your $200 and go to Iorio You will come away with a great dining experience and change in your pocket!!!
Obviously a satisfied customer!

#33 amtbr

amtbr
  • Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 06:14 AM

I smell bs. Do you work for Iorio or are you friends with the owners?

#34 Angelhair

Angelhair
  • 7,660 posts
  • Interests:film, cooking, literature

Posted 18 August 2006 - 07:36 AM

Isn't it curious that a restauranteur would take issue with a months-old post the day before a review appears in the Oregonian?:

http://www.oregonliv...n....xml&coll=7

----

Also, see the new post here:
http://portlandfood....wtopic=1506&hl=

(the new post has been merged into the thread)
----

A restaurant that is more concerned with how they appear to the public than how the food tastes to the public is not the kind of place I want to patronize.

#35 Cat Lancaster

Cat Lancaster
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 07:48 AM

lario - I think you missed an exclamation point.

Cat
"travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" ~ Mark Twain

"I'm not a picky eater, but I'm picky about what I eat." ~ Me

#36 Jamesongrrl

Jamesongrrl
  • Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:Tied for first: Travel & Food & Motorcycles (particularly my BMW 650 GS)

Posted 18 August 2006 - 08:54 AM

I was glad that MostRunning gave an honest post and I was only somewhat impress that the owners replied. Yes, I want owner/chef inclusion- this board is for everyone but as some others mentioned- the reply was what... months later? The menu has changed, the restaurant hopefully settled in... it would have been better to say 'hey- I'm the owner. I thought your review was a little harsh BUT we have a new menu, we've had time to settle in and we hope that you'd all give us another chance.'

And lario- I'm smelling the BS too. You've never posted before and suddenly it is to rave!!!!!! about how great this place is.
Prove me wrong and start postin' all over the place- get involved. Then I'll take your first, and currently only post, with more seriousness.
Jamesongrrl
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

#37 ducky

ducky
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 09:26 AM

An honest review? I'm sorry but I have a difficult time believing that 2 of the dishes were "inedible" and yet MR reutrned to the restaurant two more times. The terms "inedible", "abortion" and "wormy" make for a review that is sooo not fun to read and when using those terms with food, it comes across to me as malicious. It is odd timing and calling someone out by name in the title of the thread is not nice either. Not fun.
Pamela

-Elsa Schiaparelli

#38 Amanda

Amanda
  • 7,626 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 09:48 AM

Methinks it is very curious, indeed, about the timing of this topic being posted by Hilary and Iario's enthusiastic response. A mixture of ulterior motive and B.S. for certain. It is suspect and there is a dimming of credibility now.

Still, that said...I wouldn't mind giving it a shot anyway. Some of the menu items sound attractive to me. Even if reviews of this place are lukewarm, they've got a little postive press and at least I know where the place is now - my side of town! I may venture there at some point.

Best regards,

Amanda

#39 Hilary Benson

Hilary Benson
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 11:03 AM

To clarify,
MR's posts came up on a google search I ran for "Iorio Restaurant", after I saw this secondary (below mentioned) response--- I felt, as I said, compelled to speak my peace...openly.

"Cat-If my advice on scooters or wine has had any merit for you, don't bother with Iorio. For what it's worth, there was a brief thread a few months ago where I posted my experience.
MR" --July 19, 2006

I am new to the whole online posting/chat room and I sincerely APOLOGIZE for any lack of etiquette !

....as you can see...I still am trying to figure out how to utilize the quote feature properly...

Perhaps I did take MR's posts too personally. I stand by my convictions. I would prefer not to go back and forth and belabor the point. I respect his viewpoint and his honesty.

I have no agenda. I appreciate the criticism, I WANT TO KNOW when we are not hitting the mark. I thought it would be okay to post MY reaction. We have been open since December 1, 2005 with very little press coverage. I have ABSOLUTELY no control or prior knowledge to what the Oregonian publishes...it seems to be an unfortunate (in this case) coincidence.

In regards to
AngelHair---"A restaurant that is more concerned with how they appear to the public than how the food tastes to the public is not the kind of place I want to patronize."

I am truly sorry and a bit disturbed you feel that way, we are VERY CONCERNED with how the food tastes, and if our customers have a pleasant experience on a table by table basis --- which is why Chris personally goes out to tables as often as he can, to check-in with our customers.

I do not intend to follow up any further, there appears to be far too much unfounded speculation taking place. I value the lesson, and it has indeed been a lesson.
Above all, THANK YOU AGAIN FOR THE HONESTY!
Hilary Benson, Owner
Iorio Restaurant

#40 Love My Blondies

Love My Blondies
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 11:57 AM

Mostly Running and Others,

I can assure you that Hilary and Chris take constructive, industry-focused criticism very well. Keep it on that level, and, you will have return on your time investment (posting here).

It seems to me that most people here have too much time on their hands. A lot of this banter is completely unfounded. And, some of you have not even dined there.

Iorio is a family restaurant in every sense of the word, run by people who work very very hard. They care about what you think! Eat at Iorio, give feedback, befriend them (Chris is one of the few chefs in the city that will come out and chat with his tables on a busy night) - take the time to actually make a difference!

Otherwise, leave them alone!

I am completely on MostlyRunning's side here. I'm speaking as somebody who wishes those who have the passion and courage to start restaurants all the best, but also as somebody who is increasingly disappointed in the quality of restaurant food. That's what learning about it and trying to cook unusual dishes will do for you, and I think most of the people here are travelling along that path, for better or worse. We're foodies, and as such our comments are ultimately motivated by narcissism.

But I wonder whether getting panned by a foodie is really all that terrible anyway. Either the foodie in question is some hopeless perfectionist or chronic disser nobody is ever going to please or else the foodie is saying something possibly worth heeding. Hillary, I encourage you to cultivate a robust psyche like that of our own chefken. There are many restaurants around town which flourish in the complete absence of foodies' interest or approval. In fact collectively we are probably a huge pain in the ass: hard to satisfy, demanding special consideration, patronizing the waiters right back when they patronize us, etc. etc. etc.

Truly, you'd make better money and sleep better at night if foodies were simply to vanish. Until that happens, though, decide for yourself whether the comments have any merit. If they do, may I suggest that you take them to heart and improve your restaurant? I guarantee you that if a foodie had determined that you had, he or she would love to share the news here first.